INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How MC works for me  (Read 1446 times)

NewTech

How MC works for me
« on: November 24, 2014, 12:43:01 pm »

i have 100's of CDs and DVDs that i would like to convert to loss-less format, but don't have endless days to do it. how do i go about this?

i really need a non-technical explanation of what MC does/doesn't do and how to do it quickly, correctly and effectively, so as to not limit my options once i have committed the time.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How MC works for me
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 12:51:16 pm »

Just rip the CD's to FLAC or APE or any other lossless format.  Put the CD in the drive and wait about 30 seconds.  MC will ask you what to do.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 12:55:19 pm »

i have 100's of CDs and DVDs that i would like to convert to loss-less format, but don't have endless days to do it. how do i go about this?

i really need a non-technical explanation of what MC does/doesn't do and how to do it quickly, correctly and effectively, so as to not limit my options once i have committed the time.

Just wave your magic wand and presto it's done and you didn't waste your time....lol
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 01:19:09 pm »

I don't know about DVDs, but back in the day, when I ripped all of my 100's of CDs, I had a PC with two optical drives... MC has 'auto-rip'...

So, I set my ripping options... file format, location, etc. etc. and started ripping.

As each rip finished, the tray would eject and I'd pop another disc in there and the ripping session would continue. Using the two drives, swapping in a new disc for ripping each time one completed, sat there feeding discs in, all done in an afternoon.

After that, check and correct any CD lookup errors, then run a rename, move and copy files tool over the corrected files to get them filed correctly on the hard drive, and job done. That was eleven years ago now and all is still good.

-marko

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 01:23:38 pm »

Just rip the CD's to FLAC or APE or any other lossless format.  Put the CD in the drive and wait about 30 seconds.  MC will ask you what to do.

For more detail, check the Wiki - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/CDs_and_DVDs
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 01:39:49 pm »

I'm doing it now. I have my CD storage drawers next to the computer and I just autorip. I walk by, insert the next disc, and wait a moment to ensure the disc is ID'ed the way I want (more about that below).

It works quite well, but you need to watch out for the situation where there is more than one internet database entry for a disc and also decide how you want to deal with multi-disc sets.

For example, ripping Weld by Neil Young and Crazy Horse provided a pop-up for two possible entries. The only difference was whether the artist was listed as Neil Young or Neil Young and Crazy Horse.

For multidisc sets, I do not want a separate entry for each disc. So when I ripped "Shut Up 'n' Play Your Guitar" by Frank Zappa, it initially went in as 3 separate albums, each with the title and a Disc 1, 2, 3 appended. I went in and edited it so it would show up as one album comprised of 3 discs.

I also know there are services that you give your whole stack of CD to, along with a Hard drive and they do the ripping for you. You'd need to inquire about how that works, I haven't done it.

NewTech

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 04:39:41 pm »

So, MC will allow me to save ripped files to a hard drive of my choice in a format of my choice, and essentially acts as a player/mixer/network driver?

No stupid questions; but the magic wand would be nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up