INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDHomeRun: No television tuner available  (Read 4645 times)

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
HDHomeRun: No television tuner available
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:33:35 am »

Hi - I am running MC20 in Win 8.1 Pro and have a networked HDHomeRun 2 tuner. I am having trouble playing any channel and get a no tuner available error dialog. Following are the setup checks I have done:

1. I have setup in the HDHomeRun Gui setup with Master frontend as MC20 and Preview as VLC. The two tuners show up as "okay", they can scan channels and I can preview them in VLC
2. In MC20, enabled Tools > Options > Media Network > Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA
3. Went through Options > Television > setup. In configure, assigned the two HDHomeRun tuners as QAM, disabled "Logitech C920 Webcam"
4. The channel scan shows up expected clearqam channels and the epg guide pulls up okay.

So right up to this point, everything seems good. When I click on watch television either in the normal mode or in theater view > guide, I get no television tuner available to complete this task. Are there additional settings that I am missing?

Thanks!

EDIT: I have MC20 running on another Windows machine but the DLNA sharing and both these HDHomerun tuners are disabled on this machine.
--
Win 8.1 Pro (GTX 960, BENQ HT1075), Win 10 Pro (GTX 950, Sony KDLW900A) KVMs on Unraid 6.1.9, 8GB DDR3 +2 vCPU each, i7-4790, Asrock Z97 ex6, Denon 3313CI, Emotiva XPA5 amp, KEF Q900s, 600c, Mirage OMD15s, PSA 3x XS30SE

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: HDHomeRun: No television tuner available
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 02:59:26 pm »

Did you setup your Firewall so network traffic to and from Media Center 20 are always allowed?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 03:30:10 pm »

I haven't explicitly enabled the Windows firewall (new windows installation, no other AV program). I can reach my MC20 server from other DLNA clients in the home. Do I still need to setup the firewall to enable MC20? If yes, any references on how I can get that done? Again, this is a vanilla installation of Win 8.1 pro without any AV or malware programs.

Did you setup your Firewall so network traffic to and from Media Center 20 are always allowed?
--
Win 8.1 Pro (GTX 960, BENQ HT1075), Win 10 Pro (GTX 950, Sony KDLW900A) KVMs on Unraid 6.1.9, 8GB DDR3 +2 vCPU each, i7-4790, Asrock Z97 ex6, Denon 3313CI, Emotiva XPA5 amp, KEF Q900s, 600c, Mirage OMD15s, PSA 3x XS30SE

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 03:36:42 pm »

A firewall exception is definitely one to check. Generally the setup is pretty good at automating this but sometimes it needs help.

One option to keep up your sleeve is to run Setup > Advanced > Repair

If the above doesn't help and we can't assist from here, get over to SD and post a ticket. They'll probably ask you to switch on the "send diagnostic info" switch.

That's all I've got.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 03:39:03 pm »

I haven't explicitly enabled the Windows firewall (new windows installation, no other AV program). I can reach my MC20 server from other DLNA clients in the home. Do I still need to setup the firewall to enable MC20? If yes, any references on how I can get that done? Again, this is a vanilla installation of Win 8.1 pro without any AV or malware programs.

Well that rules out that one.

Forgot to check the other obvious one and that's that you've loaded the latest firmware.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 04:00:37 pm »

Also, have you allowed the HDHomeRun through the firewall.  A quick test would be just to simply disable the Windows Firewall (assuming you have a router, you would still be protected by a hardware firewall).  If it works after disabling, then we can go from there.

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 02:10:06 pm »

Okay, have some update after fiddling with the details. It turns out that the channel list I get from JRiver also included the analog channels and my HDHomeRun picks up only the digital ones. In the "Manage Channels" option, I went through each channel, looked for what signal each channel was picking up and hid or deleted all the analog channels. I can now view the digital channels, hurray!!

Now few quirks I have been observing:
1. In theater view mode > Guide, I get the channel list and say I go to channel 6, highlight it, select the channel and click on watch, it takes me to the first channel (3.1) in the guide setup. So no matter on which channel I click in the guide view, the video always starts with the first channel 3.1. From here, I can use the down/up direction on my remote and right navigate to the channel I want. I would rather want to click on "play" when I have highlighted the channel and go to that channel directly.

2. I wanted to record "Curios George" on PBS WMHT channel for all shows. So I went to the subscribe option and selected record every show. This actually made JRiver crash everytime it was started. It will take only about 1 min or so before it would crash. The fix was to navigate to c:\users\.. \JRiver\TvSettings.xml and delete this file (essentially delete the recording setup). The work around was to avoid using subscription option all together.

3. I now chose the record option to record this show. Typically there are two shows back to back, one from 8 am - 8:30 and the second from 8:30-9 am, I wanted to record both of them. I started with the 8 am one, chose record one show around this time and went with the rest of the settings. I did the same for the 8:30 show and it had an option of record one show around 9 am and I went with this as well. I seem to be getting multiple (more than one of each) shows being recorded during the day. Is there a way to determine which shows will be recorded and determine appropriate settings?

Any recommendation for a good analog tuner?

Well that rules out that one.

Forgot to check the other obvious one and that's that you've loaded the latest firmware.
--

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 03:02:39 pm »

Hi,

Glad you figured it out. 

Okay, have some update after fiddling with the details. It turns out that the channel list I get from JRiver also included the analog channels and my HDHomeRun picks up only the digital ones. In the "Manage Channels" option, I went through each channel, looked for what signal each channel was picking up and hid or deleted all the analog channels. I can now view the digital channels, hurray!!

Regarding analog channels, MC would not setup analog channels unless you specifically tell it to.  Maybe your analog channels left-over from previous setup?  You have to have an analog tuner in order for MC to have acquired those analog channels. 

Now few quirks I have been observing:
1. In theater view mode > Guide, I get the channel list and say I go to channel 6, highlight it, select the channel and click on watch, it takes me to the first channel (3.1) in the guide setup. So no matter on which channel I click in the guide view, the video always starts with the first channel 3.1. From here, I can use the down/up direction on my remote and right navigate to the channel I want. I would rather want to click on "play" when I have highlighted the channel and go to that channel directly.

I am not seeing this behavior.  When you go to Guide, you get a grid, each channel in a row.  You select the current program of a channel, and then select Watch.  It should show the selected channel.

2. I wanted to record "Curios George" on PBS WMHT channel for all shows. So I went to the subscribe option and selected record every show. This actually made JRiver crash everytime it was started. It will take only about 1 min or so before it would crash. The fix was to navigate to c:\users\.. \JRiver\TvSettings.xml and delete this file (essentially delete the recording setup). The work around was to avoid using subscription option all together.

We do not use a file called TVSettings.xml.  Are you sure that was the file?

3. I now chose the record option to record this show. Typically there are two shows back to back, one from 8 am - 8:30 and the second from 8:30-9 am, I wanted to record both of them. I started with the 8 am one, chose record one show around this time and went with the rest of the settings. I did the same for the 8:30 show and it had an option of record one show around 9 am and I went with this as well. I seem to be getting multiple (more than one of each) shows being recorded during the day. Is there a way to determine which shows will be recorded and determine appropriate settings?
Subscription is the way to handle recordings like this.  Make sure you check "Do not record shows that have been recorded in the past".

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 03:52:23 pm »

Thanks Yaobing. I have tried JRiver for tv few years back and have been using the settings on different systems. Maybe the analog channel settings got carried over from there. Is there a way to 'clean' all the tv settings alone and start from scratch if needed?

I am not seeing this behavior.  When you go to Guide, you get a grid, each channel in a row.  You select the current program of a channel, and then select Watch.  It should show the selected channel.
^^^ This has been a sore issue with watching a channel. No matter how I select the channel, either the play button when the channel is highlighted or click on the program name and selecting "watch", the playback always jumps to the first channel. Do you have a recommendation to debug this unexpected behavior?

We do not use a file called TVSettings.xml.  Are you sure that was the file?
^^^ I wrote the  file name from memory. The name was very clear, something about recording or tv settings and the file had the two show names I tried to record. Renaming or deleting the file fixed the issue of JRiver crashing within a minute of start-up.

Subscription is the way to handle recordings like this.  Make sure you check "Do not record shows that have been recorded in the past".

^^^ Haven't had much time to play around with settings, will try the subscription option again.

I also have a Ceton InfiniTV PCI card. I am currently not using it since I do not subscribe to the digital package from Time Warner. Will JRiver work for the basic digital and analog channels without a cable card?
--

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 04:09:41 pm »

Thanks Yaobing. I have tried JRiver for tv few years back and have been using the settings on different systems. Maybe the analog channel settings got carried over from there. Is there a way to 'clean' all the tv settings alone and start from scratch if needed?

No straight-forward way yet.  I am working on offering ways to clean up.  For now, you can to the following:

Remove all channels in Manage Channels tool.  Just select all channels (click the channel on top of the list, then scroll down to the bottom and click the channel at the bottom while holding SHIFT key), and click Delete button.

Remove all programs - Run Load Program Guide tool, and choose "Clear Program Guide".

The only way to clean out settings is to delete the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 20\TV Settings

^^^ This has been a sore issue with watching a channel. No matter how I select the channel, either the play button when the channel is highlighted or click on the program name and selecting "watch", the playback always jumps to the first channel. Do you have a recommendation to debug this unexpected behavior?

Did you customize Theater view Guide?  The default behavior of Guide is that you can not select a channel.  You only select a program.

^^^ I wrote the  file name from memory. The name was very clear, something about recording or tv settings and the file had the two show names I tried to record. Renaming or deleting the file fixed the issue of JRiver crashing within a minute of start-up.
Maybe you meant TVRecording.xml.  This file is inside the Library folder and is the file that holds TV recording data - all your scheduled recordings, either subscription or one-time recordings.

Did you set up subscription in Theater view or standard view?

Did you try subscription again after deleting the file?  Maybe the file was corrupt.  If that is the case, it should be OK now after deleting it.  If it still leads to crashes, enable logging and send me a log package (after crash, restart MC and go straight to Help > Logging and grab the log files).

I also have a Ceton InfiniTV PCI card. I am currently not using it since I do not subscribe to the digital package from Time Warner. Will JRiver work for the basic digital and analog channels without a cable card?

You have to get a CableCARD from the cable company in order to use you Ceton InfiniTV PCI.  I use this device and it works well.  We support all channels that are not encrypted.  Whether it will work depends on your cable company.  Comcast in my area does not encrypt basic channels.  Some companies encrypt all channels.

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 04:20:00 pm »

No straight-forward way yet.  I am working on offering ways to clean up.  For now, you can to the following:
^^ Thank you, will try that.

Did you customize Theater view Guide?  The default behavior of Guide is that you can not select a channel.  You only select a program.
No, I did not customize it. I meant playing a program using play butting or selecting the program and clicking on watch always results in playing back the first channel. I have some favorite channels identified in the options>tv>settings selected. I was guessing whether those settings were affecting how the theaterview>guide was behaving.

Maybe you meant TVRecording.xml.  This file is inside the Library folder and is the file that holds TV recording data - all your scheduled recordings, either subscription or one-time recordings.
Did you set up subscription in Theater view or standard view?
Did you try subscription again after deleting the file?  Maybe the file was corrupt.  If that is the case, it should be OK now after deleting it.
^^^ I tried setting up subscription twice, both times from the theaterview and I had the JRiver crashing reliably (no pun intended) whenever I tried this. Does it matter how I setup the subscription?

You have to get a CableCARD from the cable company in order to use you Ceton InfiniTV PCI.  I use this device and it works well.  We support all channels that are not encrypted.  Whether it will work depends on your cable company.  Comcast in my area does not encrypt basic channels.  Some companies encrypt all channels.
^^^ I was hoping the clearqam basic channels (analog and digital) can be received by Ceton. I think MythTV can use this Ceton card without the cable card: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ceton_InfiniTV_4
Is it possible to implement this feature in JRiver similar to MythTV?
--
Pages: [1]   Go Up