INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Ripping errors with MC20 on scratched CDs, in audiograbberV1.83 not (flac)  (Read 1669 times)

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen

I am ripping with MC20 V20.0.63 CD's with Secure Rip option and fixed 1x speed as some CD's ar scratched.
The result I got is that some CD's cant completely be ripped, error:
sectors could not be verified, unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts.
This happens with a Plextor PX-891SA and with a iHAS424Y.
The error is not just hteoretical. The track sound like stuck and needle jumping at two places, until after may be 30 seconds it goes ahead with the track.

However if I rip the same CD on each of the drives with audiograbberV1.83 (freeware) the CD can be ripped. There may be errors in it, however If you listen you hear no click or outages.

I am wondering why audiograbberV1.83 can do it with same hardware, same CDs and MC20 not. Can it be improved somehow with settings/options in MC20?
MC20 is otherwise much more sophisticated, and I would like to do all in MC20.
The option is now just to rip the bad CD in audiograbber (flac) and copy to MC20 (not very convenient however).

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

MC can rip the disc, however its Secure ripping mode will try to verify that the data it ripped is consistent, so it'll try to re-read it. If it cannot verify that the data is the same on every read, it'll tell you that its not a clean rip.
This way you know that there actually was a problem and your disc is broken. You could disable Secure Rip, then it'll just do a blind rip like your freeware software there.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen

okay I will try to re-rip with secure off.
However I am not clear why there are reallly breaks in the sound in the MC20 secure-rip data and in the audiograbber it does not report errors and it sound okay.
With the 16 re-reads it should at least may be albe to estimate.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen

I re-ripped.
A bit better, may be just luck, it still stumbles at the same location.
May be Audiograbber uses somehow an algorithm to reconstruct or to steer the drive.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team

Use a bit of toothpaste and a microfiber cloth  8)

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen

Bingo, the toothpaste with the microfiber cloth solved it.
I cleaned radially, looks as if the worst scratch was a tiny one, tangential.
Although I took a microfiber , it has some fine scratches more, but drive can read it better!

Just 3 re-reads to get good data.

Secure Rip Log created at 09:01:39  Mittwoch, Februar 04, 2015 - Media Center 20.0.63

Ithi Gqi - Joe Malinga 245  >>> Drive d PLEXTOR DVDR   PX-891SA   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:IDE  Speed:1
   Track  9: Secure rip, 1% of sectors needed re-reading. [Kipit]
      00:19:25  3 re-reads required to get good data

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Use a bit of toothpaste and a microfiber cloth  8)

Ta da!  Nice one!  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up