Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB TV  (Read 1933 times)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
USB TV
« on: April 11, 2015, 08:47:32 pm »

a year ago my USB TV stopped working, is there a JRiver recommended USB TV now?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: USB TV
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 08:57:15 pm »

Silicondust HHomeRun or Cetoncorp.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 11:33:53 am »

I use the Hauppauge 950Q USB TV Tuner stick. Now called the 955Q. I've had no problems with it.
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/prods.html

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 03:23:50 pm »

I am assuming that you use the tuner for over-the-air ATSC channels.  If so, you can use CountryBumkin's suggestion, which is also a USB device, or SiliconDust HDHomerun Connect, a dual tuner network device.  The latter is connected to a router instead of a USB port on your computer, so all computers on your network can access it.

If you use cable with CableCARD, you should get HDHomerun Prime, or one of the Ceton devices.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 10:30:59 am »

since both you and CountryBumkin suggested it

I just ordered a Hauppauge 950Q USB TV Tuner stick from amazon.

I want to try to use it with my new tablet that does have a USB port

I do not have Direct TV or Cable I do use a antenna at home with a TiVo, and rotor so I can get stations from both North Carolina, And South Carolina (about 32 stations).

When I get it will test it out using MC and my Tablet.

thanks everyone.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 08:14:22 am »

I use a bunch of hauppage cards: The Colossus for STB, the 950, 980, 1250 and the 1600 fro ATSC and they all work well with JRiver.  I recommend you use equally capable ATSC cards (ie all capable of getting all your ATSC channels) to avoid having to prioritise cards based on their capabilities (which is my case..)

Just rereading your posts...The Best Hauppage cards for sensitivity, selectivity and less susceptible to overloads are the 1250 (and the rev. is D4D9), I also own different versions of the 1250 that are not as sensitive and selective...I haven't tried the 2250 but read good things...Then the 950Q (Not as good as I'd hoped based on reviews) then the older USB version of the 950 (or listed as 980 in my PC), and then the worst is the older PCI version the 1600 (Can't pickup any of my US Stations...)

Hope this helps.  RoderickGI is using a Quad Tuner maybe that's the way to go but no idea how they perform...This would avoid that prioritisation issue I was talking about...

I like the Hauppage cards but haven't tried elsewhere...As a comparison, the 1250 outperforms my 2 Sharp TVs for picking up stations.  Similar to my Sony TV sets which have very good ATSC tuners (especially the older models it seems as my older TV performs incredibly good and have a very good test meter with SNR which helps with antenna tuning...)

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 05:09:39 pm »

king, i have both a 950Q and HDHomerun, both work fine but serve different purposes for me.  with 950Q you can't really record one program and watch another, and if you want to view over a network (say if you have networked tv) you need their "extender" software (or whatever they call it) at a mild cost of $10 or so and then you watch via a "browser" the 950Q i assume the transcoding via the extender software..but the 950Q seems "better" as i Ontario it gets more stations. there is also no in-built EPG of any sort...so HDHomerun is two tuners and networkable and now comes with in-built "now playing EPG" which is helpful (if you run standalone) but it doesn't get as many stations. it does allow record on one tuner and play from another tuner anywhere on your network.. i have both integrated into JRiver, WMC and Kodi so i get the EPG's that those apps come with (after set up)...i don't think i can play live TV via Gizmo (haven't tried but i suspect not)  so the 950Q is the "primary" tuner for my main setup and HDHomerun is secondary for that and primary for my network.  regards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up