INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Settings Change  (Read 7046 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Settings Change
« on: June 01, 2015, 09:24:02 am »

I don't know when this happened, but I just noticed that all of my presets for the Rename, Move, and Copy tool now have the "Move all files in folder (including non-imported files)" option enabled by default - which has made a complete mess of the sidecar/thumbnail files on at least one of my media drives now, from renaming a single file.

These presets were created back in MC18 or so, so that option has never been enabled on them.
In addition, thumbnails/sidecars should have special handling instead of being moved by this option.

It probably explains why I have randomly had thumbnails "disappear" from movies over the last few months. It just happened that when I renamed this file the thumbnail disappeared immediately - I would normally only notice this when browsing the library and hovering over an item which would then cause MC to realize it had gone missin and remove it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Settings Change
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 06:15:15 pm »

I don't know when this happened, but I just noticed that all of my presets for the Rename, Move, and Copy tool now have the "Move all files in folder (including non-imported files)" option enabled by default

I noticed it defaulted on on many of my presets (perhaps all) as well, while I was working on the wiki guide.

I think when they added the feature maybe?  Not sure, but yes, if you have presets, make sure to check that option to make sure it is saved in the preset correctly.  I did verify that if you re-save them, it does work right then (I fixed all of mine).

It should certainly default off.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 10:42:15 pm »

I feel like I've used that preset since the feature was introduced, and this did not happen, but I could be wrong.
The default should definitely be "off" though.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 11:07:20 pm »

I feel like I've used that preset since the feature was introduced, and this did not happen, but I could be wrong.

I could be wrong. I just noticed two or three weeks ago when I started on the RMCF article in earnest.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 06:56:43 am »

The default is definitely off.  I'm looking at the load code and don't see how it could be returning true unless you set that.  It's a mystery.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 07:02:16 am »

My old presets don't include the property (I checked in the Registry), and loading them properly unchecks the checkbox.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 07:14:25 am »

Sorry, guys.  I definitely had to re-save some presets I've been using for quite some time because this was turned on, just as 6233638 suggested.  Perhaps it was just one or three "bad builds" that caused it, or something?

They do seem to be "sticking" now.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 07:16:57 am »

I did fix the loading of the presets some, it should hopefully stop doing that now. Still weird that it worked fine on my media server.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 09:10:12 am »

Sorry, guys.  I definitely had to re-save some presets I've been using for quite some time because this was turned on, just as 6233638 suggested.  Perhaps it was just one or three "bad builds" that caused it, or something?
They do seem to be "sticking" now.
Yes, that's why I was thinking it might have been a more recent issue than it being there since the feature was introduced.
I have a couple of presets which I've actually only ever used once and then never touched again, and they also have this option enabled - even in build 115.

I guess Hendrik's fix either isn't in that build yet, or it has been written to the preset somehow rather than being left blank.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 09:12:51 am »

I wish people would read the dates in the changelog, which tells you on which day that version was actually build, and which changes can be expected in it. :)
Or just read the changelog and see if their problem is even mentioned at all!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 09:13:54 am »

Yes, that's why I was thinking it might have been a more recent issue than it being there since the feature was introduced.
I have a couple of presets which I've actually only ever used once and then never touched again, and they also have this option enabled - even in build 115.

I guess Hendrik's fix either isn't in that build yet, or it has been written to the preset somehow rather than being left blank.

It was definitely more recent.  I created a preset with the option explicitly disabled a month ago, and loaded the preset two days ago and found the option mysteriously enabled.  At the time I thought it was a glitch, but the same is true for my other older presets as well (were off, are now on).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 10:17:56 am »

or it has been written to the preset somehow rather than being left blank.

In all of mine, the option HAD actually been written to the preset. They'll never fix themselves once that happens.

I wish people would read the dates in the changelog, which tells you on which day that version was actually build

This drives me crazy too.  I can't count the times when I've responded to a thread where some version of this happens:

* 9:46am: Henrik or Matt says "Thanks for the report. This will be fixed in the next build."
* 9:46:03am: Someone responds "I just installed the build (from three days ago) and it didn't fix my issue."
* glynor: <sigh>

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 10:25:22 am »

We live for such lively interaction!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 10:30:59 am »

For the record, at my job, I can't even get people to turn the darn systems in the conference rooms off.

I have:
* The interface is stupid-simple, on an iPad, with an ever-present and bright red OFF button in the lower-right of every tab of the UI.
* The "instructions sign" in every room has a large, bold note, with a picture of said button that says something like "come on people, turn it off, and save some electricity trees"
* There is another sign, posted in on the exit door to each conference room, with a picture of said Off button, that says "Did you remember to turn it off?"

Does it work?  The subtitle of my job description could be "guy who walks around and turns off projectors".  ::)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 12:44:00 pm »

If only...  First of all, these are $80k room systems with an entire rack.  Can't exactly just pull the plug.

We can program them with all sorts of timeouts, and integrate motion sensors though.  You'd be amazed how freaking uncannily still the animals will sit during an event, and complain that the thing shuts down on them (we've tried).

And I can't auto-turn-them-off at 3am, because the animals have meetings at 3am.

I'm re-programming them soon to do this:
* If the room is quiet (it can sense the microphones, but sometimes they're muted).
* No audio or video call is active
* and the room control system has had no input for 60 minutes

Then shut the room down at 2am.

I'll probably still get complaints sometimes, because they're monsters.

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 01:08:59 pm »

I wish people would read the dates in the changelog, which tells you on which day that version was actually build, and which changes can be expected in it. :)
Or just read the changelog and see if their problem is even mentioned at all!
The change log seems to be absent from the wiki these days, so there's no easy way to look for historical data. (e.g. which build the "move all files" option was introduced in)

I do check the release notes, but sometimes a change is made that gets left out.
Reading Glynor's post above mine: “They do seem to be "sticking" now.” I mistook as meaning that the change had already been put in.

In all of mine, the option HAD actually been written to the preset. They'll never fix themselves once that happens.
I have about 20 presets to go through then.
I really should consolidate them—and have done some work on that with extremely long and unmanageable expressions—but the current system of picking presets from a menu is very slow to use.

I'd really like to see the presets presented as a list below the find & replace box with add/save/delete buttons. (or similar controls)
It would make the feature so much easier to use.

This drives me crazy too.  I can't count the times when I've responded to a thread where some version of this happens:

* 9:46am: Henrik or Matt says "Thanks for the report. This will be fixed in the next build."
* 9:46:03am: Someone responds "I just installed the build (from three days ago) and it didn't fix my issue."
* glynor: <sigh>
I have noticed that quite often as well.
I didn't even realize that's what I had apparently done here!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 09:28:35 pm »

I'll probably still get complaints sometimes, because they're monsters.

OT but...

Here is an idea. Take away the big red button. Give them a big green button.

Explain that they must press the big green button every hour to keep the systems turned on. Give them a countdown on screen in the last five minutes before shutdown, or maybe a quiet beep and a countdown on the button itself, on the iPad.

If the big green button isn't pressed, the systems shut down. You will still have some complaints, but you may find they accept this better than being asked to shut down the systems. They will quickly learn to monitor and press the big green button. Plus you know the systems will shutdown one hour after use. ;D

Pressing a big green button to keep the systems on is a positive action to give them something they desire. Pressing a big red button is a negative action to do something they don't care about.

Sometimes problems have to be looked at from an entirely different perspective.

PS: You may need direct support from senior management to implement such a system, and protect your arse the first few times the system shuts down while in use.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 10:34:24 pm »

Here is an idea. Take away the big red button. Give them a big green button.

Explain that they must press the big green button every hour to keep the systems turned on. Give them a countdown on screen in the last five minutes before shutdown, or maybe a quiet beep and a countdown on the button itself, on the iPad.

If the big green button isn't pressed, the systems shut down. You will still have some complaints, but you may find they accept this better than being asked to shut down the systems.

No way, no how, are any of my C-Level executives going to accept that horse-pucky. There are lots of three or eight hour long videoconferences (there was one today that was 6.5 hours long). But, that's somewhat irrelevant, I cannot antagonize the customers. Better to just replace the darn lamps more often at $300 a pop.

I've tried making the button blue, and even green, to make it less "scary".  It isn't that they're afraid, or even that they don't want to, they just forget and are on the next "mission" (or figure someone else will, which is what happens, frankly).

It has been somewhat better lately. I've been doing trainings, and emphasizing that it helps the "next person" (because the system resets itself when it starts back up, and puts itself into a "default mode").

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 10:39:34 pm »

The change log seems to be absent from the wiki these days, so there's no easy way to look for historical data.

MrC did those.  You volunteering?  ;)

ProTip:

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 11:33:50 pm »

No way, no how, are any of my C-Level executives going to accept that horse-pucky.

:D  :D  :D
I dealt with C-Level executives much of the time in a previous life, and many of them were almost human.

As long as those same executives support your $30,000 a year lamp budget.  ;D

Lamps were $600 each when I was looking after a couple of projectors years ago. They didn't last very well, and there was no budget to replace them regularly, let alone hold spares.  ::)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up