INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is causing slow/stuck menu transitions on Client?  (Read 6946 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
What is causing slow/stuck menu transitions on Client?
« on: July 04, 2015, 05:24:15 am »

This is not happening every time but it is somewhat frequent. It is only my Client machine (an i3-3225 with NVidia GT640)
I click on the direction button on remote (left, right, up) and the selection box on the screen moves halfway and sits like this for at least 5 seconds.

This is on the client. On this screen shot. I moved from "Movies" starting position over one to the right. When that move "stuck at halfway between Movies and Shows, I waited a few seconds then moved "up" and that move also stuck which is why the top row is wacked out too.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: What is causing slow/stuck menu transitions on Client?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 05:28:01 am »

Is it on Windows 10?

It's likely to be a video driver problem.

Theater View uses 3D drawing. 

The picture isn't rotated for me.  It looks OK, except for the overlap of text.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 07:53:41 am »

I've experienced this on the htpc client before, though only ever when coming out of standby, and even at that, maybe only twice in the past six months.

A restart of MC fixes it. I've never reported it because I see it so infrequently and cannot reproduce the effect at will.

Not the most helpful post in the world, I grant you, but sometimes, it's good to know you're not alone in what you see, The photo is the right way up for me too. Caught out by your cache there perhaps?

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 08:02:57 am »

Hi,

on my Client i have this problem too. Perhaps also related to my problem: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98479.0
Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 08:21:50 am »

I've been seeing this intermittently as well, with the difference that the UI doesn't always "unstick."  I'm only seeing it on one machine (out of three that run theater view).  That machine is a Win 7 machine with an NVIDIA GPU (660), FWIW, the other machines that work fine are both Win 8.1, one with intel graphics, one with a different NVIDIA GPU (970).

flac.rules

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 08:38:58 am »

I also has this problem, most often coming out of sleep, but not solely. Nvidia GTX 960 GPU. Happens on two clients, both HTPC connected to a TV through HDMI. Win 8.1 and Win 7.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 10:10:14 am »

Is it on Windows 10?

It's likely to be a video driver problem.

Theater View uses 3D drawing. 

The picture isn't rotated for me.  It looks OK, except for the overlap of text.

Yes, this is on Win10 (build 10162 now), but I've seen this before on my Win8 setup too. Anyway, I'm now in the process of reinstalling Win8.1 on this machine. Win10 didn't add any increase in performance and its still a little flaky so I'll wait for the first Win10 SP1 before installing it again.

Regarding the overlapped text and slow menu performance. It seems to take a minute or so to correct itself - after that its fine. Could it be looking for some response from the Server (when Client first wakes up)? If so, I'll see if my network or Server drive may be going to sleep.

capfan

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 11:09:42 am »

I also had (maybe still have) this problem regularly when navigating songs within an album in theater view, either using the mouse or the cursor.  Theater view would freeze on the transition and I would do ESC-ESC to get back out to MC and try theater view again.  I have an NVIDIA GT 720, so I tried updating the driver and it seemed to work, but then the issue came back regularly after a few days.  So I uninstalled the driver I got from the NVIDIA website and let Windows choose the driver on its own.  This seems to have fixed the problem for one day so far.  However, I originally hadn't updated my video driver in over 6 months while constantly updating MC and the issue just seems to have occurred maybe within the last month or so.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 11:47:17 am »

So I reinstalled Win8.1 back onto this Client machine. Nothing else is installed except Media Center and a fresh install of windows (and latest NVidia driver).

But I'm still getting this lag (mostly on first startup) occasionally. Although, I have not had to restart MC, I just wait a little (from a few seconds to 15 sec. or so) and it MC becomes responsive again.

Last night I was in "Shows" trying to decide what recorded TV episode I wanted to watch, and as I was moving from one show to the other (to read descriptions) had about 5 seconds of lag. After a couple of seconds all went back to normal and the lag did not reoccur the rest of the night. So in this case the lag didn't occur at first startup of MC but that's usually where I get it.

I tried to watch network resources to see if there was a spike in activity (like MC trying to connect to Server) during the lag, but I can't see anything.

Is there any third-party (free) diagnostic or monitoring software that someone could recommend to help capture what is going on?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 01:16:05 am »

I've seen this as well recently. It must be some kind of recent development, as it never happened some time ago.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 07:11:35 am »

This is still happening on both Client machines.
I'm wondering if this is related to my Server's network connection going to sleep or connecting slowly. Does the Client need to connect to Server to provide smooth menus (I can understand not being able to play audio/video on the server if the machines are not connected - but would it affect the client's menu)?

I just set the NIC on the Server to never sleep. I'll see if that helps. I also switched the Server machine from an MS Account to a Local Account to see if that helps (the Clients are on Local Accounts).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 07:17:40 am »

I don't think the network could affect drawing.  That would be video and Theater View uses 3D drawing.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 11:39:18 am »

This is still happening on both Client machines.
I'm wondering if this is related to my Server's network connection going to sleep or connecting slowly. Does the Client need to connect to Server to provide smooth menus (I can understand not being able to play audio/video on the server if the machines are not connected - but would it affect the client's menu)?

I just set the NIC on the Server to never sleep. I'll see if that helps. I also switched the Server machine from an MS Account to a Local Account to see if that helps (the Clients are on Local Accounts).

I see the same menu stalling and my server never sleeps.  I don't think it's network related (at least not purely).

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 04:11:16 pm »

I described a very similar problem in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98479.msg680982#msg680982

I spent a lot of time in testing my 'HTPC' Orbsmart AW-01 and i'm not happy with the result, but i have found my problem.

I didn't think that it could be a problem, because streaming 1080p movies weren't a problem with kodi or mc.
But in the end i made some tests with CPU-Z and GPU-Z.

CPU-Z: No problems at all. When browsing through theater view or playing files (audio or video) CPU Usage was about 5-30%.

BUT:

GPU-Z: Also no problem when streaming a 1080p movie (Fullscreen). GPU Usage was between 40-55%.
           But when browsing through Theater View the GPU Load jumps around from 60-99%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When playing songs (flac) in fullscreen view or Standard View, all files were playing normal. Then GPU usage is very low when playing songs.
So it seems that theater view is causing my stuttering and hanging issues with mc.
I can't believe until now, that browsing through theater view is using the gpu much more than a heavy (25Gb .mkv - h264) 1080p movie.  ?

Can i do something to reduce GPU load in theater view?
And yes, Latest GPU drivers are installed and no AV is running in the background.
Onkyo TX-NR906

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 05:02:34 pm »

You could try adjusting the Theater View settings for frame rate and drawing quality.

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 10:15:06 am »

I tried framerate with 30fps but didn't help.

what do you exactly mean with adjust drawing quality?
Thanks.
Onkyo TX-NR906

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 07:38:08 am »

Thanks.
It's in the Theater View settings.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 03:56:36 pm »

Thanks.

Options > General > Video Card > Quality setting
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up