INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Version 21: What's new?  (Read 10705 times)

Lodewijk_Ramon

• Recent member
MC Version 21: What's new?
« on: July 13, 2015, 08:12:09 am »

I am just curious. Can I find information anywhere about the differences between Version 20 and Version 21 (release notes or similar). I just would like to know what I am buying when I buy a new version.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Version 21: What's new?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 08:54:17 am »

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 09:56:14 am »

Early versions (for the first month or three) will be very similar to MC20.  However, all new feature development will be focused on the new version over the next year-or-so.

That's how JRiver does development on MC.  If you buy early, which is before you're "getting anything", then you get:
* A discount on the upgrade
* To help provide feedback and suggestions that JRiver may use to help direct the product (participate, essentially).

If you want to wait until you see a complete "feature list" for the new version, that probably won't be for 8 months or so.  Jim linked to, above, their ideas for the general direction for the new version over the next year, but this will come out slowly over time.

More about JRiver's business model can be found here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81987.0
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 12:29:02 pm »

Where are collecting requests?

Would like to see Mac version achieve parity with Windows in supporting Astell & Kern players; also hope that the on-air TV function would be part of Mac, too.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 03:42:35 pm »

The A&K issue, from your description in the other thread, needs to be fixed by A&K.

MC can sync to any devices that mount onto the OSX file system.  If they don't (you can't access it and copy files to it via the Finder) then MC won't be able to sync to it.

There has not yet been a new "call" for ideas for MC21.  They're in initial phases, and have their own priorities.  However, some users are contributing to a Fearure Requests thread on the Windows MC 20 board.

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 05:08:01 pm »

A&K refuses to do anything about it.

Which I am always happy to point out. For what they charge for their players, they could provide proper support for the Mac.

Or hope that JRiver can figure out a workaround.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 09:35:35 pm »

Or hope that JRiver can figure out a workaround.

I suppose anything is possible, but I can't imagine they'll spend a bunch of effort developing a hack workaround for someone else's product unless they sell Apple/Samsung-like quantities of them (and even then, its doubtful).

Lodewijk_Ramon

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 03:19:45 am »

Thanks for the answers.  :)

xtraktz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 11:22:19 am »

Do you have plans to improve audio playback quality?
Maybe you have plan to add additional SRC engines besides Apple Core Audio or more advanced audio settings for output configuration.
I pay my money first for the audio part and it is for me most important. But in 21 version I cannot see any sound quality improvements.

But in the video part I know a few issues which have not been fixed yet.
1. Grey playback panel in full screen mode
2. Cannot use the subtitles
3. Mouse cursor is always on the screen
4. Saw tooth edge distortion on 1080i mode format
In general, video section is very unstable in my case.
I have to use vlc player for video, although I paid for media center.

I hope you pay attention to these important and fundamental things in new 21 version :)

P.S. and what about lossless streaming services integration such as Tidal or Qobuz?
MAC MINI > dCS DEBUSSY > ATC SCA2 > ATC SCM 50 ASLT

John Smith

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 12:27:14 pm »

Maybe you have plan to add additional SRC engines besides Apple Core Audio or more advanced audio settings for output configuration.
I pay my money first for the audio part and it is for me most important. But in 21 version I cannot see any sound quality improvements.

But in the video part I know a few issues which have not been fixed yet.
1. Grey playback panel in full screen mode
2. Cannot use the subtitles
3. Mouse cursor is always on the screen
4. Saw tooth edge distortion on 1080i mode format
In general, video section is very unstable in my case.
I have to use vlc player for video, although I paid for media center.

I hope you pay attention to these important and fundamental things in new 21 version :)

P.S. and what about lossless streaming services integration such as Tidal or Qobuz?

Хtraktz,

Thanks for your reasonable input.  Let me just clarify some points.

Regarding that well-known gray OSD frame and never-hiding mouse cursor - the JRiver team stated that these bugs will be fixed soon. I trust them. The same situation with subtitles support.
As for saw tooth edge distortion - it's the real problem in Mac version only I hope, cause they use madVR on Windows to solve distortions.

But on Mac it's the real pain. I just can't see 1080i sportcasts because that...  As I understand there is no madVR on Mac.

However free VLC on Mac can fix interlace distortion for years without any madVR presence...  So it can be solved for sure. I hope in JRiver team's high skills.  ;)

As for smooth integration with modern high-res stream services, like Tidal and Qobuz - it's sounds very interesting. Brilliant idea.

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 05:17:30 pm »

This is just me talking here... I'm just a customer so I might be wrong.   But here goes...

As far as I know Sample Rate Conversion (SRC) is 100% internal to JRiver MC and is done with a 64 bit processing engine, which should be about as good as you can possibly get.  Core Audio is only used to play the output; not to convert it from rate to rate.  As for "more advanced output configuration", I'm not sure what you are after.  MC can do a LOT already.  Unlimited bands of parametric EQ.  Crossovers.  Shelf filters.  Channel reassignment.  Channel mixing.  I'd bet what you want is already included.  If not, maybe start a thread about what it is you are trying to do.

There's already been a thread or two discussing Tidal integration.  JRiver tried and Tidal made the process very difficult.  Here's the definitive thread on it:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96774.0

Brian.

couchjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 10:48:05 pm »

Thanks for the pointer, Brian, I'd missed this. I could live happily with my collection now, but if Tidal adopts MQA in a big way to allow for higher-than-redbook-quality streaming of new releases in repertory that interests me, it will be hard to resist--especially if Bob Stuart manages the decoding licensing intelligently so people like George Klissarov at exaSound can build it into their DACs.

xtraktz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 05:03:16 am »

This is just me talking here... I'm just a customer so I might be wrong.   But here goes...

As far as I know Sample Rate Conversion (SRC) is 100% internal to JRiver MC and is done with a 64 bit processing engine, which should be about as good as you can possibly get.  Core Audio is only used to play the output; not to convert it from rate to rate.  As for "more advanced output configuration", I'm not sure what you are after.  MC can do a LOT already.  Unlimited bands of parametric EQ.  Crossovers.  Shelf filters.  Channel reassignment.  Channel mixing.  I'd bet what you want is already included.  If not, maybe start a thread about what it is you are trying to do.

There's already been a thread or two discussing Tidal integration.  JRiver tried and Tidal made the process very difficult.  Here's the definitive thread on it:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96774.0

Brian.
I mean the 64-bit engine such as izotope64 or similar as additional audio processing option. Maybe there are other ways to improve current sound engine. I don't know.. It would be great.

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 05:19:22 pm »

Хtraktz,

Thanks for your reasonable input.  Let me just clarify some points.

Regarding that well-known gray OSD frame and never-hiding mouse cursor - the JRiver team stated that these bugs will be fixed soon. I trust them. The same situation with subtitles support.

To be clear: the amazingly annoying cursor bug will be fixed soon as an update to MC20 and not have to wait until MC21?  I hope so!

David

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 06:34:43 am »

I mean the 64-bit engine such as izotope64 or similar as additional audio processing option.

MC already has a 64-bit internal audio processing engine. Izotope makes audio processing engines for companies without the resources or expertise to make their own.

xtraktz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 08:28:04 am »

MC already has a 64-bit internal audio processing engine. Izotope makes audio processing engines for companies without the resources or expertise to make their own.
Ok, with iZotope sounds different.

Is it possible to further improve current 64-bit internal audio processing engine or not?  :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 08:36:25 am »

We believe we've built the best audio engine possible.  You can use DSP effects if you want "better" sound, but if you want the sound of the original recording, you can't do better than using MC.

This thread also isn't a good place for such discussion.

xtraktz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 08:58:14 am »

We believe we've built the best audio engine possible.  You can use DSP effects if you want "better" sound, but if you want the sound of the original recording, you can't do better than using MC.

This thread isn't a good place for such discussion.
OK, I understand you. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up