INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Show FULL Channel Description on TV Window  (Read 7821 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Show FULL Channel Description on TV Window
« on: July 21, 2015, 12:41:45 pm »

When I select Television from the left main menu I get a Television screen with headings of..
Date, Time, Channel, Program & Description.

It's that Description that I want to show up on the TV screen as I am looking at the channels. Currently, only a small portion (if any at all) actually shows up on the bottom of the TV screen.

I have done several searches for this information to no avail. The FULL Description should be available on screen as it is on other TV programs. It it a hotkey? A Mouse gesture? Or some obscure settings that I have missed?
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Show FULL Channel Description on TV Window
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 02:57:25 pm »

The "Info" ("i")  button on the MCE remote control cycles through Playback position > Program Title > Program Description > Off.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

DocLotus

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 03:04:12 pm »

I'm not using a remote control. Am using the "classic" Standard View screens on my desktop (no Theater View).

Also,  sometimes the Description shows up for some channels but not for others. Don't understand why this is happening.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 09:13:58 pm »

Also,  sometimes the Description shows up for some channels but not for others. Don't understand why this is happening.
Because the listing service (often "Tribune") can only be bothered to give a description for some things and not others.

DocLotus

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 10:40:25 am »

I was wrong about that statement... the Description NEVER shows up at all for any channel.

There are Descriptions listed for most of my channels in the left menu Television screen as originally mentioned at the top of this post but NONE of them are showing up on the TV screen so when I am channel hopping & run across something I may want to watch I have to switch from the TV screen & return to the MC left menu Television screen, find the same channel & read the Description & return to the TV screen to actually view the show... A LOT OF HASSLE.

There MUST be a way to turn on the Descriptions in the TV viewing screen.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 12:43:57 pm »

Remote control "i" button is the only way. 

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 02:13:20 pm »

Maybe can be added for MC21?

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 02:18:05 pm »

With MS dropping WMC in Windows 10 we really need a very robust TV in MC.

Am hoping to see MAJOR TV improvements in v21 as Jim had mentioned in his 21 road map postings.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 02:30:13 pm »

Doc,
Use Theater View.  It's easier to navigate than standard view anyway.

DocLotus

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 02:48:29 pm »

That's part of the problem, bouncing back & forth between Standard & Theater View is not my idea of fun. I want to stay in Standard View as I use MC mostly for audio & video files & simply find Standard View more to my liking.

What I really want to see is a more WMC-like experience in JRTV.  WMC just simply worked & provided the TV experience that I was looking for.

I also want my TV as one of the 12 Car Radio buttons (I think that is what it is called). I currently have TV as button one but when it is set up like this the only thing that shows up is the TV channel number so I have to load the Television from the left menu to see the program descriptions, so most of the time I work from there.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 06:20:00 pm »

I am a little confused.  Do you want to see the description when the video is playing, or before you play a channel?  For the former, "i" button is currently the only way.  Press it three times to get to description part.  For latter, you see it either in Standard view (in the list of programs), or Theater View (when you click a program in the guide grid).

I think it is a good idea to add a hotkey on keyboard (perhaps Ctrl+I) to perform the same as the "i" button on the remote control, for MC21.  Is this what you ask for?

DocLotus

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 08:23:41 am »

I am a little confused.  Do you want to see the description when the video is playing, or before you play a channel?
When the TV channel is playing. I want to pop it up easily with a single key stroke (or mouse gesture).

I think it is a good idea to add a hotkey on keyboard (perhaps Ctrl+I) to perform the same as the "i" button on the remote control, for MC21.  Is this what you ask for?
That would be a good starting point. Would prefer a single hotkey rather than a dual-key such as Ctrl+I. Anything to make the TV viewing experience better.

Yaobing, I want to thank you for taking an interest in this. TV viewing on my computer is a big part of what I use my computer for (I have a Samsung 32 inch WQHD monitor because of the TV). I have always disliked JRTV because of it's many problems compared to MS WMC which simply worked without problems. But now that MS is dropping WMC in Windows 10, I want to do all that I can to help improve JRTV as JR MC is overall the very best out there and it would be really neat to have just ONE media program that "Does It All" and does it all very well thank you.   

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 12:23:53 pm »

With MS dropping WMC in Windows 10 we really need a very robust TV in MC.

Am hoping to see MAJOR TV improvements in v21 as Jim had mentioned in his 21 road map postings.
It might be an idea to install WMC TV at JRiver, and see how it does things, and get some ideas for features to add.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 12:26:00 pm »

We've used it.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 01:24:33 pm »

To be fair Jim WMC does a better job especially around TV PVR duties!

MC is too buggy using tuners especially more than 2 tuners not being seen sometimes tuners won't record, sometimes MC doesn't see S2 tuners. just earlier today on latest build my client couldn't even see any tuners even though on the server they are happily present.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 01:26:36 pm »

MC is too buggy using tuners especially more than 2 tuners not being seen sometimes tuners won't record, sometimes MC doesn't see S2 tuners. just earlier today on latest build my client couldn't even see any tuners even though on the server they are happily present.
If you have a bug, please report it on the TV board.  I think you've been working with Yaobing.

Not all TV problems are MC bugs.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 01:58:45 pm »

Yes and I love the support you guys give . All I was saying is there are numerous things MC could be doing better and there are things you can learn from WMC

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 03:14:54 pm »

With respect, you're comparing JRiver's ability to solve your problems to Microsoft's.  It's not a fair competition.  Other than resources, the biggest reason is that hardware vendors always test against Microsoft and fix any problems.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 04:54:22 pm »

I am happy to support! Any issues I see I tend to report and most get fixed. I am happy with JRiver just want to help make it better.  This is the reason I send log files and issues I find.... sorry if I have made it sound like I am being negative.. I am not and I will continue to support you guys

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 04:58:04 pm »

Yaobing, I want to thank you for taking an interest in this. TV viewing on my computer is a big part of what I use my computer for (I have a Samsung 32 inch WQHD monitor because of the TV).

We will do our best to improve MC.  Concrete suggestions are always welcome, and are preferred compared to vague remarks about WMC.

I have always disliked JRTV because of it's many problems compared to MS WMC which simply worked without problems.
I tested WMC from time to time and learned a few things from it.

However I must be one of the unlucky ones.  It does not always work for me.  I have had a lot of incidences in which it does not recognize my tuner devices.  The last time I was able to use it, it did not recognize my Ceton InfiniTV tuners.  For some reason, now I can not even use it at all.  

DocLotus

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 08:23:56 pm »

Weird... might be the difference in TV tuner cards.  I have always used AMD ATI TV Wonder cards (currently the HD750 made by Diamond).

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 10:53:00 pm »

The "Info" ("i")  button on the MCE remote control cycles through Playback position > Program Title > Program Description > Off.

The "up" arrow on the remote does exactly that... The info button on the MCE remote should be used to give the detailed description , season, episode etc of the program being watched (I would want it mainly in theater view). Just like all the other TV PVR solutions.

Thx

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 11:06:57 pm »

An idea would be to bring us right into the "Watch" view of theater view for the show being watched when clicking info on the remote.
(You normally get there by clicking on a show from the guide view)
This would be perfect, you have all the required info already there.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 02:48:01 am »

The "up" arrow on the remote does exactly that... The info button on the MCE remote should be used to give the detailed description , season, episode etc of the program being watched (I would want it mainly in theater view).

Incorrect. The "info" button on the remote shows the detailed description, while the "up" arrow does not.

Also, as of MC21.0.01, the "D" button on a keyboard does the same thing as the Info button.

21.0.1 (8/4/2015)
23. NEW: Keyboard shortcut 'D' for onscreen information display (equivalent to remote control info button) that toggles among "playback position"/"program name"/"program description".

If you want to see the "Watch" screen while playing a TV show:
1. Press the Guide button. If don't wish to miss any of the show, press Pause before Guide.
2. The channel you are currently watching will be highlighted in the Guide. Press OK.
3. Now you are at the "Watch" screen. Read all you like.
4. When you are finished, press the Media Center button (Big Green Button on an MCE remote), probably twice, and you will be back on the Display View screen with live or paused TV showing. If you didn't pause the TV show in step one, you could have just pressed Watch to get back to the TV channel, instead of the Media Center Button.
5. Play with using the Media Center button while doing other things in Theatre View. It toggles you around your current and previous two screen, and allows you to make changes or check things while the TV show is still playing, for example.

OR
Learn how to add a Custom Command to your remote:
a. Options > Remote Control > Add > Custom, give the command a name like "Information", > Commands > Add Command > select "Theatre View: Playing Now". Hit OK.
b. Make sure your new command is highlighted in the command list.
c. With your remote ready in hand, click the "Start Learning" button on screen
d. Press the "Info" button on your remote
e. Click the "Stop Learning" button on screen. MC will have saved a learned trigger code, equivalent to the "Info" button on your remote, against your new command.
f. Click OK to exit the Options dialogue.
g. Start a TV program, however you like; through the guide, selecting play while highlighting a channel under Television in Standard View, whatever...
h. Press the "Info" button on your remote. MC will take you to the Playing Now screen while the TV show keeps playing. You will hear the audio.
i. Press the right button on your remote once. This will take you to the Info page, which has the same data as the Watch page. You may even get some images for the program displaying in the background.
j. Press the right button again. Now you will be on the List page. You will see the TV Channel playing in a small window to the right.
k. Press the up or down button on your remote. This will scroll you up and down the channel list, and on the right will be information about the show currently showing on the highlighted channel, including the detailed description. Same as the Watch screen. If you can't see the full detailed description, press the right button to see the full detail. Press the left button to go Back to the list.
l. All finished? Press the left button to get Back to the top level menu, then press the right button to move to Playing Now.
m. Now you are back at the Display View screen of Theatre View, showing a full screen view of the live TV channel.

Sweet huh?
Explore MC. It does a lot, with just a few simple remote buttons, and perhaps a little bit of configuration.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DocLotus

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2015, 07:41:33 am »

Great tutorial, Roderick.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 07:56:34 am »

Thanks Roderick for taking the time.  Espcecially on the customisation part.  I'll give this a try tonight and provide more info but I'm 99% sure I'm right about with my info button does.... It does exactly as per Yaobbing's comment above. (In theater view anyway)

Explore MC...This one is funny.  I wouldn't want to count the number of hours spent trying to make it work to my liking so that I can ditch Sage...An dI don't feel I'm asking for much...That's very funny.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up