INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote Feature Request Download music to local device  (Read 8960 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
JRemote Feature Request Download music to local device
« on: July 21, 2015, 11:13:09 pm »

I would think that this has been asked before but I went through 4 pages of threads and couldn't find it.

I have been using JRemote for awhile now to play music on my iPhone when I am out and about. 

But I would love to be able to download song to the device locally for when I am in a situation with no internet (Travelling out of the country etc...)

Is this ever going to be a possibility?

I can't stand iTunes and though I do have one or 2 other options JRemote is my goto program for playing music on my iPhone and I would love to use it for this as well.

Also maybe I missed it somewhere.  But maybe there should be a "Feature Request" sticky thread?

Carl.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: JRemote Feature Request Download music to local device
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 11:29:06 pm »

I would think that this has been asked before but I went through 4 pages of threads and couldn't find it.

I have been using JRemote for awhile now to play music on my iPhone when I am out and about.  

But I would love to be able to download song to the device locally for when I am in a situation with no internet (Travelling out of the country etc...)

Is this ever going to be a possibility?

It has been asked for before, by me (and others), many times. JRiver has indicated that this is planned, but not a small project, and has stated essentially "no timeline, no promises".

If done well, though, it would be super-awesome, I agree.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 11:35:21 pm »

PS. I do know from listening to Marco Arment (who does Overcast) rant on various podcasts about:

* Apple's Background Downloading API
* How the streaming vs downloaded audio systems in iOS work

That it is no simple task. Just for a tiny example, you'd think that if you stream content to the iOS device, that you could just take that already-streamed-in file and save it for later use (retain the cache). But according to Marco, this is not the case (at all). Because of the sandboxing setup in iOS, the streaming file is available to the OS components, and not to your App's code, and if you want to save it, you have to stop and throw away the stream and save a new download (in "download not streaming mode") all over again from scratch. Which means you can't listen to the files on the fly but then also "keep" them as they stream in, easily. This is how the podcast client I use works too (iCatcher).  You can stream files, or download them, but if you decide to download a file you're 1/2 through listening to via streaming, it throws the whole thing out and downloads the whole thing in the background.

You can make this work fairly well with some sleight-of-hand, but...

That's clunky, and doesn't make the best use of sometimes limited cellular data caps, so the best way to do this is to not use the built-in streaming API calls at all, and to roll your own, but... This is no small task. And, from there, you descend down the rabbit hole of not using the built in media player components at all, and so on and so forth.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 11:39:14 pm »

In case it helps.  Maybe the developers can take a look at the Synology DS Audio app.  It already has this capability and it is currently my go to app for getting music onto my iPhone (And also my tablet) for when I am travelling in areas where I won't easily have internet access.

I would really prefer though to be using JRemote for this purpose.

Carl.

DangerJP

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 06:47:47 am »

+1.

Hope this get implemented some day !

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 09:59:23 pm »

In case it helps.  Maybe the developers can take a look at the Synology DS Audio app.

For Video, I currently use Air Video HD.  You can stream video to your iPhone/iPad as well as store local copies of the content for when you are offline.  You don't have to set up any permanent port forwarding on your router either.

Another program for JRiver to possibly look at as an example of someone doing it well today.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 05:14:46 am »

not sure if this was brought up, but if the download to local is too complicated, how about just playback from music already transferred to the device?

O.T. - In the mean time, anybody know of an audio player app that does good on the fly playlisting (meaning add songs to what is playing now, add as next to play, editing "playing" now. Thanks

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 08:17:15 am »

not sure if this was brought up, but if the download to local is too complicated, how about just playback from music already transferred to the device?

A JRiver android music player is currently in development, so your wish may be granted on that count soon:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98572.0

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 09:08:39 am »

Any progress on adding a feature to JRemote to be able to download and save local copy songs or videos to device?

I currently use Synology's DS Audio, DS Video, and DS Photo apps for this.  I'd love to retire them and use only JRemote.

Benefits:
1. Not consuming data on my mobile phone's data plan when not connected to wifi
2. Offline mode enables play when not connected
3. Wouldn't need a separate process to get my media onto iOS and Android devices and would be able to do it on the road

The Computer Audiophile

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 09:22:16 am »

Being able to offline content within JRemote would be the ultimate feature for people who don't subscribe to streaming services. I love the offline feature of Tidal for when I am in an airplane, but I know most people in the world don't subscribe to Tidal or another streaming service.

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 06:58:49 pm »

This a request to have Tidal integrated in the JRemote app.  

I use a Lumin A-1 and I like using JRemote way better than the Lumin app.  However, the Lumin app has Tidal integration.  Tidal itegration would be a major win for the JRmote app.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 07:02:50 pm »

I will split this to a new thread, but here's why adding streaming is difficult:

Why Streaming Struggles

JRiver already supports streaming with the Performer Store and Doctor Who

Curtis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 02:13:21 am »

Me too! Been with MC since at least version 8, and JRemote from the beginning, but I really need to be able to download from my collection when traveling without a live connection. I'm thinking of dropping MC after all these years because I can't integrate any streaming (Performer has too few tracks) service when I am connected, and I can't download anything (streaming or my own collection)  for when I'm not connected. Currently I'm working with Google Play Music. At no extra cost than the $10 a month for streaming it has uploaded my 8000+ tracks to Google Drive. I can add to my Google 'library' streaming content alongside my uploaded music and playback any combination of the two, make playlists mixing my owned and streamed music, AND I can then select any combination of owned (sitting on Google Drive) and subscribed music and download it to my ipad/phone for offline use. In fact the Play app has a simple slider button that shows only downloaded music to make selection easy when not connected by seeing only what's on the device. Trouble is the interface, library features, etc. are primitive compared to MC. But I find I'm using MC less and less because I want to stream, or I want to have stuff to listen to when on a plane flight without paying for ($$$$) wifi service. After my decade or so with JRiver, I see this as real-world stuff in 2016 that is essential, not just a low-priority possibility. The world is streaming, data rates are excessive in the U.S. thanks to monopolies controlling the bandwidth, so offline AND streaming are both important to keep JRiver viable, not just a stay-at-home, I-own-everything-I-ever-want-to-see/watch/hear, application.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 06:44:25 am »

Curtis,
Are you using only your phone when you're traveling or do you also use a notebook?

Just curious.

Thanks.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 10:47:48 pm »

+1 for download to phone.

(I wouldnt work too hard on integrating Tidal, the way theyve been running the business and the C-Level fall out, you wont have anything to integrate soon!)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 06:18:02 pm »

After my decade or so with JRiver, I see this as real-world stuff in 2016 that is essential, not just a low-priority possibility.

Totally agree with this.  At home, I use JRiver as my main content source but I am always falling back to other programs for when I am on the road. As far as I can tell, JRiver is the only party that does NOT have a way to load content to my iPhone/iPad. Everything else I have looked at can do this and has been doing it for many years now.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 06:32:02 am »

We can't do everything that you want.  We can't do everything that we want, and this is one of those.

Gizmo does have a cache of content on the phone.

Curtis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 05:01:15 pm »

Curtis,
Are you using only your phone when you're traveling or do you also use a notebook?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply, in my case it's mostly my iPad, sometimes my iPhone. Rarely do I lug my Windows notebook any more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up