INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver won't open  (Read 9192 times)

Neil50

• Recent member
JRiver won't open
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:15:55 pm »

I have trouble opening MC 22. I get the error message:

Media Center 22 is running, but there may be a problem. Possible causes:
 1. The program is also running under a different user account.
 2. Media Center 22 and Media Server are both in Windows Startup. You must remove one.
 3. The program is not responding for an unknown reason.
Please try rebooting the computer. Verify that no other user accounts are running the program.

I am unfamiliar with much of the jargon used on the forums, so please (!) . . . keep it simple . . .  thanks.

I don't know what user account we are talking about. I am the only user on my computer. I am signed into my computer with a Microsoft Account and Outlook e-mail address. My JRiver account uses a gmail e-mail address. Is that a problem?

I don't know what Media Server is, but neither is running in Windows Startup. MC 22 and Media Server are both found when I open the Windows Start menu.

I have rebooted my computer several times.

I have updated MC 22 to 22.0.74. The problem persists.

For some reason, of which I know not, MC 22 is now open, but I don't know what caused it to be open. Perhaps when I used Edge to search for an answer, found the forums, tried to start a new post, it opened MC 22, but that is mere speculation and could be coincidence, because I really don't know. I was able to open once before this instance during my troubleshooting, but, after I closed MC 22, I couldn't open it again and got the same message. Until it just opened again.

Antognini

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: JRiver won't open
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 02:55:19 pm »

What level of Windows? Win7, Win8 or 8.1, Win 10? Let us know.

Next, be sure MC is actually running and so being in your way. Start Task Manager by ctrl-alt-delete and choosing Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab in Task Manager if you're not already at that point. Do you see Media Center (be sure to scroll through everything if you don't immediate see it)? Let us know.

Whether you see MC running or not, click on the Startup tab in Task Manager. Do you see MC there? Let us know. (There may be other places that affect programs run at startup, but Task Manager will show some.)

If you see MC in Startup, we'll figure out how to remove it from Startup.

Neil50

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 03:09:36 pm »

I am using Windows 10.

Opening Task Manger, MC does show in Processes, does not show in Startup.

Neil50

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 03:34:17 pm »

Seems to be working now. I don't know why.

I ran through the same steps I was doing before. Opening Task Manager, ending MC (which was listed even though not open), but this time . . . it opened. I had done this several times before and it wouldn't open.

I've just tried it several times just now, opening and closing, and it is working. A mystery to me.

Antognini

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 04:03:32 pm »

Seems to be working now. I don't know why.

... A mystery to me.

That's computer software.

acmeseed

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 10:38:24 pm »

I am having the same problem, the program was working fine, a couple of days ago it stopped. The executable loads in  memory, but the interface never appears. I am running Windows 10 Professional.

Any tips on what to look for?

Thank you,

Mike.

Neil50

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 04:53:20 pm »

I wish I could offer a positive response. I have not had any luck. It is extremely frustrating and disappointing.

This is the great insuffiency of JRiver. To begin with, a manual; so many things I don't understand or know how to use. It's too bad; JRiver could be a "go to" for those of us who prefer to maintain control of our systems without committing to commercial hardware. Unfortunately, the level of computer familiarity to maintain one's server using JRiver is beyond the competence of someone, like myself, who has normally sufficient capability with most programs.

Second, support for issues, such as ours, is a great deficiency. I appreciate the attempts to assist me, as noted above. However, their inability to ultimately resolve my issue renders JRiver, for me at this point, useless.

I have paid for the coming upgrade to MC23. I am preparing, much to my dismay, to back up my Surface Pro, reset the device, and go through the time-consuming and tedious process of downloading and configuring programs again. Without a manual and proprietary support (forums and often non-updated or too complex guides that are not sufficient), I don't know what else to do.

Since this is not the first time I have encountered this issue, if I cannot maintain stability, I will have to consider other options. One possibility is to ditch the whole server idea and just stream Tidal, along with listening to my LP's.

Best of luck, Mike,
--Neil

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 04:58:19 pm »

Neil,

First, your post about a windows MC issue is in the Mac section where almost no one will ever see it.  Second, your last post indicates that your problem is fixed.

I've just tried it several times just now, opening and closing, and it is working. A mystery to me.

I'm sure you'd get some help if you posted in the MC for Windows section and said that you still had an issue. Reading this thread, I think everyone thinks your issue is resolved:  "it is working." is what you say above.

I'd recommend you start a new thread in the MC for windows forum.  Good luck.

Brian.

Neil50

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 05:02:56 pm »

Sorry for the confusion, Brian. MY BAD! I'll follow your advice.
Thanks,
--Neil

Neil50

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 05:09:40 pm »

Brian,

What happened, it did open, but was not functioning properly. I guess I was excited when it opened, then totally frustrated, and didn't follow up properly.

Still, the amount of time spent trying to get JRiver working, the number of times this issue has arisen, and my lack of ability to comprehend how to use much of the program, continues to vex.

Thanks,
--Neil

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 05:56:36 pm »

Brian,

What happened, it did open, but was not functioning properly. I guess I was excited when it opened, then totally frustrated, and didn't follow up properly.

Still, the amount of time spent trying to get JRiver working, the number of times this issue has arisen, and my lack of ability to comprehend how to use much of the program, continues to vex.

Thanks,
--Neil
Antivirus software often causes problems like this.  Take a look at the "Weird Problems" link in my signature.

Neil50

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 06:16:52 pm »

I tried disabling all antivirus and software, no luck. I did go to the "Weird Problems" link, no luck. And much time reading inapt posts.

The fact that I inadvertently posted on the Mac section highlights my limitation. I had no idea I had done that and continue to take a seeming inordinate amount of time finding where to post, how to post, and finding my own post. (I leave the browser page open so I don't have to search for it.) If that makes me seem miserably incomptent, I accept it unabashedly. I admit not being the most computer savvy, but know I am better off in that regard than most of my peers. Hence, my frustration.

I have read so many positive comments elsewhere about JRiver and so much want to continue to rely on it. That is why I purchased the MC23 upgrade despite my inability to get MC22 working properly and inability to understand many of its capabilities.

Onward.

Best,
--Neil

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 06:32:32 pm »

You can click on Profile and then Show Posts to see where you've posted.

You don't have to be competent.  Just ask for help when you need it.  You'll learn.

Please describe exactly what you do to run MC and then exactly what you see.

You can't absolutely rule out antivirus software as the cause until you uninstall it.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 09:01:03 pm »

Before doing anything drastic with the operating system I would uninstall through Control Panel and re-install MC with the latest stable version, available here:

http://www.jriver.com/download.html

Sometimes Windows updates can wreak havoc (especially big ones like creator's update).

If you can give more details of your system including external audio connection that would help,
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Neil50

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 03:31:36 pm »

Zhillsguy,

As suggested, I uninstalled my version of MC22 and installed the one you suggested (MC 22.108). No change in issues.

When I tried to open MC, after about 5 minutes, I still got this error message:

"Media Center 22 is running, but there may be a problem. Possible causes:
 1. The program is also running under a different user account.
 2. Media Center 22 and Media Server are both in Windows Startup. You must remove one.
 3. The program is not responding for an unknown reason.
Please try rebooting the computer. Verify that no other user accounts are running the program."

The error message disappeared about 3 minutes later and the program opened, but would not function and I got the error message that the program was not responding. I couldn't effectively close the program through the error message or task manager, nor navigate to anything else on my PC. Eventually, the program did close a few minutes after my attempts to close it.

I am only signed in on the account I purchased the program with. Neither MC22 or Media Server are in Windows Startup.

My media is on an external hard drive connected to my Surface Pro 2. The SP2 is connected by Ethernet to my router, and Ethernet cable to my Squeezebox Touch. The connections to the audio system are from the SBT to a DAC, etc. The system was stable and working fine for sometime, although I had experienced this problem in the past and spent many hours fooling around without any idea of what I was doing, but eventually got it working again. The most recent problem arose after I had not used JRiver for a couple of months.

I have connected to the SBT, when JRiver was working in the past, with Whitebear, but I stopped using it since the SBT showed up in JRemote on my iPad and worked okay.

Two things I should note, which may or may not be pertinent. When I initially signed up for the JRiver trial, it was under a different user e-mail than the one I eventually purchased the program with. Also, I was initially able to play movies on my external hard drive through the connection to my Sony Blu-Ray player (Ethernet from SP2 to router, then Ethernet to Blu-Ray), but that became dysfunctional quite some time ago. I can play the movies on my SP2, but, though the titles show up on the menu of the Sony Blu-Ray, attempting to play any of them generates an error message saying something like the file is corrupted, unplayable, or unsupported.

Thanks,
--Neil

Spike1000

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 07:58:00 am »

I am using Windows 10.

Which version? I recently had massive issues with W10 1607 64bit on a brand new laptop. 1511 worked fine. I upgraded to 1607 and MC would hang (ie go not responding/pale screen) for 30 seconds every 2 minutes or so and generally be unusable*. Different versions of MC made no difference. Upgraded to 1703 (creators edition) and all was well once again. I have run MC on machines with 1607 for months and had no issues so it's by no means a universal problem.

Spike

* I think the issue was Windows related; although I don't know what or why. The task bar at the bottom of the screen would disappear when MC went unresponsive and MC would stretch vertically to fill the screen when the task bar disappeared only for it to 'shrink' back when the bar returned after 30 seconds or so. I expect 'explorer' was crashing/hanging the background or at least not interacting with MC in a good way.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 08:08:07 am »

Which version? I recently had massive issues with W10 1607 64bit on a brand new laptop. 1511 worked fine. I upgraded to 1607 and MC would hang (ie go not responding/pale screen) for 30 seconds every 2 minutes or so and generally be unusable*. Different versions of MC made no difference. Upgraded to 1703 (creators edition) and all was well once again. I have run MC on machines with 1607 for months and had no issues so it's by no means a universal problem.

Spike

* I think the issue was Windows related; although I don't know what or why. The task bar at the bottom of the screen would disappear when MC went unresponsive and MC would stretch vertically to fill the screen when the task bar disappeared only for it to 'shrink' back when the bar returned after 30 seconds or so. I expect 'explorer' was crashing/hanging the background or at least not interacting with MC in a good way.
Thanks for all the details.  I've been suspecting something like this.  There have been too many odd problems lately, and this might explain it.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 08:21:45 am »

A few things to try.....first, make sure Windows is completely updated as noted above. Creator's Update will take a while if you haven't already received it. If updated and you are still having issues:

1. Uninstall AV software as Jim suggested..... a lot of folks don't think it's needed with Windows built-in protection, including many large corporate users. My employer hasn't used it in a few years. I haven't used it at home since Win 7 using MS Essentials.

2. If you are able, go into MC, Tools/Options/Startup, and make sure Run on Windows startup is set to "Nothing". Do this for all user accounts on your pc.

3. Back up your library using File/Library/Back Up Library. This will create a small file that contains all of your library and settings data. After backing up, Clear Library from the same menu. This will revert MC to "out of the box" status. You can easily restore your library afterward from the same menu using the file created in Back Up.

If you are unable to get MC to run enough to do #2 or #3 above, I would do a "complete" uninstall of MC, including all versions if you have more than one installed. Re-install 22.108 and try to run without playing or importing anything.

Keep us posted of results.

Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Neil50

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 08:25:41 am »

I've been having this problem through many W10 updates, so I can't say which version the problems began with. After W10 Creator, installed latest version of MC22. Same issues.

I don't get a pale screen, just desktop until MC22 opens, then not responding.

MC was working fine. The issues arose after not using MC for a couple of months. During that time, W10 updates installed either automatically, or were necessary due to loss of functions in W10 if you don't accept update. This may indicate something.

Neil50

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 03:26:56 pm »

Zhillsguy,

I have done everything you suggested. The only AV program is the built in Windows Defender with W10. I have been working on it off and on for the last week.

I takes 10 minutes or more for MC22 to open. I have varying experiences once it does. Right now, it is not functioning at all once it opens, can't even play music on the MC22 player. Eventually, I get the message "not responding."

For awhile, I was able to use all music functions except "Burn CD," which won't work at all. I was able to rip CD's and play music on my SBT. SBT showed up in players, along with SBT by Whitebear. Now, only w/Whitebear, but not working. I have not made any changes or added anything to my SP2.

I can't imagine what is causing this.

blgentry

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 04:33:45 pm »

If it were me, I would burn it to the ground and rebuild it from scratch.  What I mean is, back up all of your data, and reinstall Window 10, fresh, from a freshly formatted drive.

Brian.

Neil50

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 04:44:51 pm »

Yes, Brian, that is what I have been, unfortunately, thinking. I have tried to avoid that due to the PITA of reinstalling programs & apps and their settings. C'est la vie.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 09:42:09 pm »

Agreed.... and if you think how much time you already spent on it....constructive re-construction doesn't sound so bad.

If you use the built-in recovery system or some type of factory recovery disk/backup you may end up in the same boat, use a clean W10 install image if you are comfortable doing so. You should have another working pc handy for downloads if going with the clean image install method.

The good thing is, if your machine came with bloatware it will be gone.... oh, and you should be able to listen to music while it's updating.  :)

Neil50

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 10:01:29 pm »

Yup.

Thanks for trying, Zhillsguy.

Onward . . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up