INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: MO 4Media - remote control and player with Android TV & Android Auto support  (Read 143543 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MO 4Media - remote control and player with Android TV & Android Auto support
« Reply #500 on: September 14, 2019, 02:34:39 pm »

Make sure you are putting the video file type (mkv, mp4, etc.) in the setting for video conversions (audio conversion setting is only used for music).  I am not sure why it can't handle eac3.  Are you outputting audio to an AVR or a TV?
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

KeekUras

• Recent member
Re: MO 4Media - remote control and player with Android TV & Android Auto support
« Reply #501 on: September 16, 2019, 02:58:21 pm »

Make sure you are putting the video file type (mkv, mp4, etc.) in the setting for video conversions (audio conversion setting is only used for music).  I am not sure why it can't handle eac3.  Are you outputting audio to an AVR or a TV?

After further testing, it seems to be this one file because other eac3 videos play, I'm just not sure why this one doesn't. Thank you for the response though.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #502 on: September 19, 2019, 12:06:21 pm »

v1.7.0 is now available with the following changes:

- Fix: was not connecting with write credentials when "Everyone" was enabled
- Add separate "title bar" color
- Add 2-line text and background color toggle options for Library grid thumbnail text
- [ATV] Add system screen saver for TV, set source images playlist path in app settings
- [ATV] Add "Jump to" search function in grid lists (jumps to first item that starts with input letter(s))

Note that several of the supporting packages were updated internally so let me know if something is not working like it used to.

smarties

• Recent member
« Reply #503 on: September 20, 2019, 11:31:49 am »

v1.7.0 is now available with the following changes:

- Fix: was not connecting with write credentials when "Everyone" was enabled
- Add separate "title bar" color
- Add 2-line text and background color toggle options for Library grid thumbnail text
- [ATV] Add system screen saver for TV, set source images playlist path in app settings
- [ATV] Add "Jump to" search function in grid lists (jumps to first item that starts with input letter(s))

Note that several of the supporting packages were updated internally so let me know if something is not working like it used to.

Fantastic job - authentication is now working as expected and many thanks for the extra colour options !  Great support!

EasyEd

• Recent member

I am trying to cast from this app to chromecast.  It works great when the app is playing songs from the MC server on my pc.  I can't figure out how to cast when the app is playing songs that have been downloaded to the iphone.  In order to play songs on the iphone I have to choose "go offline" from the middle menu.  This makes the device choices in the right menu go to "offline", with no choices to cast.  I want to be able to just depend on the phone and it's music for times when I don't have my PC on.

cncb

• MC Beta Team

I can't figure out how to cast when the app is playing songs that have been downloaded to the iphone.

Sorry, I don't think you can cast in this way with the iPhone.  In Android, you can do this by casting the entire phone output (audio and display) to the Chromecast and play to This Device in the app to hear your downloaded music.  I don't think there is an equivalent in iOS.  To cast/play individual files, Chromecast requires a URL to a server which is not currently possible for downloaded files.

EasyEd

• Recent member

How about enabling Airplay on MO 4Media.  That should allow playing files offline (ie on the iphone) on the tv (with airplay capability).

cncb

• MC Beta Team

How about enabling Airplay on MO 4Media.  That should allow playing files offline (ie on the iphone) on the tv (with airplay capability).

Airplay should already work.  At least it did with my Denon AVR unless something changed in iOS.  Sorry, I don't have a tv to test.

Update: Just tried AirPlay with downloaded/offline files with the Denon and it still works in iOS 12.4.1.

EasyEd

• Recent member

Thanks for try it.  It turns out that I did not have Airplay set up correctly on my TV.  Once I fixed it, I was able to use it as you did.
You have a great app.  I expect to use it for many years.

EasyEd

• Recent member

Thanks for try it.  It turns out that I did not have Airplay set up correctly on my TV.  Once I fixed it, I was able to use it as you did.

No One Of Interest

• Recent member

When using MO 4Media in Android Auto, I'm finding that it won't display playlists that have more than 890 tracks in them.  890 tracks displays fine, 891 tracks just shows a spinning blue ring and never loads the playlist.  Is this a limitation of Android Auto or is this something I have set up wrong?

This does not happen in the app itself.  It will display playlists with 7000+ tracks without any problem.

DJLegba

When playing to "This Device", the Date Last Opened tag isn't updated.

cncb

• MC Beta Team

Is this a limitation of Android Auto or is this something I have set up wrong?

Sounds like it might be a memory issue with Android Auto which I have little control over (just give it the list of items).  I could have a maximum number of items in each list so that you can get past the spinning circle.

cncb

• MC Beta Team

When playing to "This Device", the Date Last Opened tag isn't updated.

If it makes sense to update this when streaming, it seems like this is something MC take care of when streaming starts.

cncb

• MC Beta Team

Thanks for saying this.  I appreciate your support for the iOS version.  Unfortunately, you are one of the very few.  Given the ongoing development costs, I probably will not renew my Apple developer account in early December which means the app will not be in the store and you will not be able to renew your subscription next year.  I'm sorry about that.  (*Note that this does not apply to the Android version.)

DJLegba

If it makes sense to update this when streaming, it seems like this is something MC take care of when streaming starts.

Why wouldn't it make sense? JRemote updates the play count and Date Last Opened. Probably safer for MC not to do the updates, since MC isn't doing the playing and furthermore doesn't know whether or not the remote will update the tags.

cncb

• MC Beta Team

Why wouldn't it make sense? JRemote updates the play count and Date Last Opened. Probably safer for MC not to do the updates, since MC isn't doing the playing and furthermore doesn't know whether or not the remote will update the tags.

Having the remote update the play stats makes sense to me because as you said it is doing the playing, but MC does the "opening" of the file so that's why it makes more sense to me for MC to update this tag when necessary.  Note that Panel doesn't seem to update this tag.  I am not saying I won't add it, I am just thinking about it.

DJLegba

Having the remote update the play stats makes sense to me because as you said it is doing the playing, but MC does the "opening" of the file so that's why it makes more sense to me for MC to update this tag when necessary.  Note that Panel doesn't seem to update this tag.  I am not saying I won't add it, I am just thinking about it.

It wouldn't really matter if both MC and the remote updated the Date Last Opened, but since we know MC doesn't do it when playing to the remote device, adding it to your app would improve something that's already great.

No One Of Interest

• Recent member

Sounds like it might be a memory issue with Android Auto which I have little control over (just give it the list of items).  I could have a maximum number of items in each list so that you can get past the spinning circle.

After doing quite a bit of searching, I found this is an AA limitation.  I can't find any real solid info, just a lot of posts reporting limits, but AA seems to be able to show more items with each release.

I don't think setting a maximum number of viewable items in a playlist is the best solution, but I appreciate the offer.

I did find a work around though.  If I place each playlist in it's own playlist group in JRiver (one group with one playlist in it), I can click on the group in AA and click the top option and tell it to "Play", "Shuffle + Play", etc.  MO 4Media will then load the entire playlist.  Oddly, AA will then display all the tracks in the Playing Now playlist. 

So I think the solution would be to be able to bring up the play options for a playlist without viewing it first.  Like the ability to long press a playlist to get the play options.  But I'm thinking you probably don't have that kind of control over AA.  If you don't, having a duplicate group of playlists, with each playlist in it's own playlist group, just for AA, is a pretty simple workaround.

cncb

• MC Beta Team

But I'm thinking you probably don't have that kind of control over AA.

That's correct, but I could change the navigation a little bit to help with this.  When you select a playlist (or library item that would list files) I could show the "play menu" right away and add a "View files" entry to this menu to see the list of files.  This way you could play the playlist before seeing the list of files.

No One Of Interest

• Recent member

I could change the navigation a little bit to help with this.  When you select a playlist (or library item that would list files) I could show the "play menu" right away and add a "View files" entry to this menu to see the list of files.  This way you could play the playlist before seeing the list of files.

That would be perfect!  This would only affect the Android Auto interface and not the app interface, correct?  I wouldn't want to be the one to cause people more clicks than needed.

On the Android Auto topic, you can't add the ability for ratings, or have it show the album & date, can you?  I'm thinking no, otherwise those things would already show in AA, but figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks for the quick responses and openness to user requests.  This is the best experience I have had with an app, and this one is amazing on top of it!

cncb

• MC Beta Team

This would only affect the Android Auto interface and not the app interface, correct?

On the Android Auto topic, you can't add the ability for ratings, or have it show the album & date, can you?

Yes, it would only be a change in AA.  Unfortunately, Google chooses what metadata is shown on the Now Playing screen.  Thanks.

cncb

• MC Beta Team

v1.7.1 is now available which includes the recent requests.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #523 on: November 02, 2019, 06:55:36 am »

Hi,
I bought MO 4 media hoping it would fix a (an apparent) bug with Gizmo.  I can play flawless video for about 1min, then it freezes, same as Gizmo.  This is the same behaviour across three handhelds, two networks and three TV's (all in various combinations).  I am assuming this is an issue with  HTML5 or something Android.  I am curious, do you find video streaming works well for you?  What is going on?  What do I need to do to cast from a PC with JRiver to a TV?

Thanks
(see https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122474.msg847818.html#msg847818)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #524 on: November 02, 2019, 08:28:53 am »

(see https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122474.msg847818.html#msg847818)

Sounds like it may be a conversion issue with MC on the server.  Have you tried to disable conversion when casting (tap Settings | Playback /Conversions, select "Casting Video" in the popup list under Conversions, switch "Disable conversion" to ON, tap SAVE at the top)?  Depending on what kind of video you are trying to cast you might have audio problems but it could confirm that it is a conversion issue.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #525 on: November 04, 2019, 08:08:26 am »

Hi,

Sorry for slow reply.  I found the setting (that was a fun one to find).

Ran into a more intermittent problem to stop me testing.... the chromecast ultra is very slow to show up.  Gizmo can find it, Google Home can find it, it is just MO that is slow.  It has showed before and occasionally when waiting, it shows, but tonight, no luck. 

Any suggestions.
Thanks
Craig

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #526 on: November 04, 2019, 06:37:56 pm »

Sorry, I don't know what would cause it not to show up.  It usually only takes a few seconds for mine to be found (Android TV boxes).

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #527 on: November 05, 2019, 08:21:58 am »

Thanks.  Unit showed up quickly tonight and was able to try.

The no-conversion option you suggested seems to work well for the video.  The audio was unfortunately silent.  I tried a few different files and found a 2 channel file that played both video and audio.  The majority of other files where multi-channel.  All seemed to be mkv.  Maybe that is a limitation of the Chromecast, but I wouldn't have thought so.

Thanks for your input.  Any additional tips on getting the mkv's to play appreciated, but equally understand this is probably falling outside an issue for MO4media.

Lastly, what should I be asking JRiver wrt to the freezing.  The servers have more than enough omph for on the fly conversions,  so I can't understand the freezing.

Thanks

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #528 on: November 05, 2019, 08:38:35 am »

The files that are not playing audio most likely have DTS audio which Chromecast cannot seem to handle.

I would try to capture a log file from MC (Help | Logging) when playback freezes and share it with the JRiver folks which might tell them what is happening.

DJLegba

« Reply #529 on: November 07, 2019, 05:59:29 pm »

In MC it's possible to define views that are several levels deep. For example, I have Genre defined to use Genre, Composer, Album Artist, Album. This isn't very useful for anything other than classical music, but fortunately in MC when you hover the mouse over a genre you can select any of the sub-levels (eg Album Artist) as the next grouping. This is really useful, and right now I don't know of a remote that does anything other than go to the second level. Today using MO 4Media I selected the Genre view, then chose Progressive Rock. Unfortunately, the Composer grouping is not very useful at this point. But if I select Chamber Music as the genre, usually I do want to see the next grouping by composer.

I don't think any other remote lets you select the next level grouping after you've selected the main grouping in a view. Apparently MC makes this info available. It would be fantastic if MO 4Media became the first (and probably only) remote to give the user this kind of control.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #530 on: November 08, 2019, 08:13:56 am »

Sorry, directly skipping sub-levels like this is not really feasible with the API.  You can "skip" sub-levels with one tap by enabling "Display 'All' as a choice" in the options for the view.

wer

« Reply #531 on: November 11, 2019, 02:19:35 pm »

Sorry, directly skipping sub-levels like this is not really feasible with the API.  You can "skip" sub-levels with one tap by enabling "Display 'All' as a choice" in the options for the view.

Hmm, JRemote skips single-item-content sublevels in this way.  I like that behavior, as it makes it work like Theater View.

wer

« Reply #532 on: November 11, 2019, 02:38:11 pm »

I've tried this out on Android TV (which would be my only use case for it) and it has a lot of great functionality.  Well done!

I'd like to offer a few suggestions that would make it much more usable on Android TV:

1. Make the play/pause and stop buttons on the remote more functional.  Stop doesn't work at all.  Play/pause only works if something is already playing.  You should be able to position the selector on an item like an album, press play, and the whole album will play.  Instead the app makes you drill into the album, select the first track, and even then play doesn't work, you still have to use the menu to select play single or play all.  MC and JRemote both have options that address this.

2. Add the option to start the app in a specific folder (a specific view level).  Currently when the app starts you must cursor down to library, hit select twice, then navigate to the folder you want.  If I want to always start the app in the "Music" item defined in my view, I can't.  It would simplify use to be able to do that.

3. Add the ability to have view items added to a channel in the Android TV home screen.  Then you don't need to launch the app at all, just select the item you want from the home screen channel and the app immediately goes there.  This would be much better integration with Android TV.  The app "DLNA Channels" does this but it is clunky and slow.

Those additions would really make the app much better on Android TV...

That being said, I don't approve of the subscription model; I don't like renting software.  For one reason because of unlimited cost on something I might use for years (even if upgrades are not needed) and for another reason, especially with small vendors/sole proprietors, if you quit or get hit by a bus my product stops working.

Thanks...

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #533 on: November 11, 2019, 04:00:46 pm »

Hmm, JRemote skips single-item-content sublevels in this way.  I like that behavior, as it makes it work like Theater View.

I could add an option to skip sub-levels when there is only one item but I think DJLegba was asking for a general way to skip multiple sub-levels.

I will consider your Android TV requests.

Regarding the subscription, I have debated whether to make it a one-time payment but this of course would be much more than $5 (which I think is very reasonable for an annual fee).  Also, only the subscription allows for an unrestricted free trial.  But I understand your sentiment, and I am still considering it.

DJLegba

« Reply #534 on: November 11, 2019, 09:51:47 pm »

I could add an option to skip sub-levels when there is only one item but I think DJLegba was asking for a general way to skip multiple sub-levels.

I never thought of it as skipping sub-levels, but perhaps that's what it boils down to. Anyhow, Hendrik says it's doable.

I don't mind the annual subscription because there's active and responsive development. And I'm ready to buy you (almost) one beer a year for the good work. The target market is not huge, so you probably haven't bought that yacht yet - but when you do, please drop the subscription fee.

wer

« Reply #535 on: November 12, 2019, 02:37:14 am »

Thanks, cncb.

One last thing, video file types cannot be saved in video settings on ATV.  Because of this I cannot add the mkv extension, and therefore the app won't play VC1 encoded videos.  I did not see this listed as a limitation of the free version, and no warning is given that the change will not be saved.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #536 on: November 12, 2019, 10:09:22 am »

I never thought of it as skipping sub-levels, but perhaps that's what it boils down to. Anyhow, Hendrik says it's doable.

They might be adding something to the API to support this, but for now it is easy to just enable the "All" option.

Unfortunately, I would be lucky to be able to purchase an inflatable canoe with my current earnings so there is no yacht in my future :).

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #537 on: November 12, 2019, 10:17:02 am »

One last thing, video file types cannot be saved in video settings on ATV.  Because of this I cannot add the mkv extension, and therefore the app won't play VC1 encoded videos.  I did not see this listed as a limitation of the free version, and no warning is given that the change will not be saved.

I am not seeing this - the conversion file types are saved for me.  Are you perhaps hitting "back" instead of selecting the "Save" button?

For #2 in your requests, you can currently make this a little better with a custom root view just for Android TV.  If you define a root level view named "ATV" it will show the views under that in the Library section on the home screen (see first post).

wer

« Reply #538 on: November 12, 2019, 09:19:40 pm »

I am not seeing this - the conversion file types are saved for me.  Are you perhaps hitting "back" instead of selecting the "Save" button?

Afraid not.  Because if I change the skip interval and the extensions at the same time, the numeric change to the interval is kept, while the change to the extension is discarded, all with one click of the save button.  So it's a bug.  This is on a Hisense H8F tv, fully updated.

(Re #2, sort of but not really... I was aware of ATV and tried it, but the program won't start there, you still have to navigate to it.)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #539 on: November 13, 2019, 08:35:47 am »

Afraid not.  Because if I change the skip interval and the extensions at the same time, the numeric change to the interval is kept, while the change to the extension is discarded, all with one click of the save button.

Any chance you are hitting "back" on the remote instead of selecting "Next" or "Done" on the on-screen keyboard when you are done editing the extensions field?  This would cause the behavior you are seeing.

wer

« Reply #540 on: November 14, 2019, 02:29:48 am »

No. If I did that, I wouldn't see mkv in the edited field before I hit save.  Hitting save is the last step in the process.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #541 on: November 14, 2019, 03:21:21 pm »

Sorry, I can't reproduce this.  All the fields should behave the same - edit the text, select "Next" in the on-screen keyboard, and then select "Save".  Can you modify any other fields besides the skip times?

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #542 on: November 15, 2019, 11:46:12 am »

I really like this app and appreciate the developer's responsiveness here. My apologies if this was previously addressed:

Using on both an older Nexus 7 and a Samsung S7

In playing now when toggling volume on and adjusting volume it must be toggled on/off to update to display the current volume level.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #543 on: November 15, 2019, 12:29:05 pm »

In playing now when toggling volume on and adjusting volume it must be toggled on/off to update to display the current volume level.

Is this when adjusting the internal MC volume and adjusting the volume with the on-screen slider?  The text above the slider should update when you drag the slider.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #544 on: November 15, 2019, 10:57:23 pm »

Is this when adjusting the internal MC volume and adjusting the volume with the on-screen slider?  The text above the slider should update when you drag the slider.

I am adjusting the internal MC volume with the device volume controls, the on-screen slider does work as you describe.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #545 on: November 17, 2019, 09:27:21 am »

I am adjusting the internal MC volume with the device volume controls, the on-screen slider does work as you describe.

The device buttons are intended to be a separate way to adjust the volume and show a popup message indicating the volume when you use them so you shouldn't need to show the volume slider when using the buttons.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #546 on: November 24, 2019, 12:04:55 pm »

The device buttons are intended to be a separate way to adjust the volume and show a popup message indicating the volume when you use them so you shouldn't need to show the volume slider when using the buttons.

I get no volume popup or other indicator when using the device buttons in playing now on the Samsung SM-G930V but do on the Nexus 7 (larger screen) and can certainly live with it. Thanks for the explanation.

nitephlight

• World Citizen
« Reply #547 on: December 02, 2019, 05:37:23 am »

sorry if this has been asked before - access to track Ratings always seems to be highly diversified

perhaps there is already a way to achieve this through DLNA : is it possible to display track Ratings directly on Library list views (globally)? i know that you can tap to view Rating, but all the work put into consistently Rating tracks isn't visible where i end up spending most of my time.

for clarity i've attached a screen from another remote. admittedly that implementation isn't very space efficient, but perhaps a simple "4★" somewhere?

EDIT: turns out there is in fact a way to do this through DLNA settings "Title Expression". simple expression like below seems to work but only on traditional UPnP/DLNA app implementations. any way to replicate this on MO 4Media? 

Code: [Select]
If(RatingStars()!=0,[Name] [[Rating]★],[Name])

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #548 on: December 02, 2019, 08:06:29 am »

EDIT: turns out there is in fact a way to do this through DLNA settings "Title Expression". simple expression like below seems to work but only on traditional UPnP/DLNA app implementations. any way to replicate this on MO 4Media? 

Code: [Select]
If(RatingStars()!=0,[Name] [[Rating]★],[Name])

Yes, see the first post, the "Custom Library Fields" section.  Basically you create a custom library field named "MO_Title" that is "calculated data" and enter that expression. Let me know if you need help with this.

rockson61

• Recent member
Re: MO 4Media - No luck with Android Auto on a 2018 Nissan Murano
« Reply #549 on: December 02, 2019, 03:29:46 pm »

Any suggestions as to how to get MO 4Media to work via Android Auto on my 2018 Nissan Murano and my Pixel 3a? I get a "Please Connect to a Network" message even though I can see the phone is happily connected to my home server and running MO 4M without any problem. I have SSL enabled on my home server.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 22   Go Up