INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade Questions  (Read 13362 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Upgrade Questions
« on: January 07, 2019, 10:23:44 am »

All MC24 licenses sold since December 14 are MC25 licenses that also work with MC24. 

Please read Upgrade Help for more details.

If you still have questions, please post them here. 

Thanks.

brgreg

• Recent member
Re: Upgrade Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 08:06:44 pm »

Hi
Just purchased the v25 for Windows version and got the confirmation email from wave,
including the registration code.
Link for install points to the wiki.
When I go to that url, not sure how to proceed
Thanks for your help
Bill

brgreg

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 08:29:26 pm »

Just clicked on the attached Media Center25 Windows mjr file in the JMC 25 License email and received the message that the license was installed.

I assume that is all that is needed.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 09:48:29 pm »

That will work, provided you have one of the latest builds of MC24.

rids57

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 11:49:23 am »

I have the latest version of JRiver 24 installed and did the same as brgreg, receiving a message that the licence was installed. Does it show up anywhere that I'm using the new licence? I checked in Help/Registration Info and is just says Product: JRiver Media Center 24 24.0.72 and Registered To: <my name>, so nothing actually shows that I've upgraded.

timlacey

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 03:37:09 pm »

I really wish you'd switch to a subscription process instead of an annual beg and renew process.  I would gladly set my purchase to auto-renew every year and have a license code linked to my email address. . . . maybe it's time to ditch the old registration code method?

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 05:57:55 pm »

I definitely appreciate that the yearly upgrade is optional.  A subscription model implies, at least to me, that something (like functionality) would "go away" once one cancels the subscription!

[EDIT: typos]

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 07:43:29 pm »

Does it show up anywhere that I'm using the new licence?

No.

But you are. Even if it didn't work, you can install the MC25 licence easily any time using the Licence Restore process. Just keep your purchase information and email, and remember the password you set during purchase.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

iop.companies

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 10:47:26 am »

I own 23 and want to upgrade to 25.  Do I have to purchase 24 first and then also pay for the 25 upgrade?  Thanks

Okay so I tried once again.  This time I downloaded a trial version of 24 because the message says you need to have 24 to upgrade.  Still can't get it to work.  If I download the full version of 24 don't I have to pay for it? When I try to purchase 25 upgrade it says it must be done from within the app.  Where do I do that?  Every time I try, I get the same message.  It never brings me to a purchase page.  It seems like this is a lot harder that it needs to be.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 11:00:01 am »

No.  Just use your MC23 license to upgrade.  Thanks. 

It will work with MC24.

jwk246

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 01:03:11 pm »

I really wish you'd switch to a subscription process instead of an annual beg and renew process.  I would gladly set my purchase to auto-renew every year and have a license code linked to my email address. . . . maybe it's time to ditch the old registration code method?

Personally, I never saw this as a "beg" situation, and I do appreciate getting a discount from JRiver on my master license by taking advantage of the upgrade offer, so I'm very happy with things the way they are.

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 09:54:05 am »

I'm pretty new to MC, bought it and been using about six months or less, very happy with the way it is working. When I upgrade, will it be completely easy and painless to maintain all of my present settings and preferences (skin, library view, playlists, zone rules etc) without difficulties in any way? When something is working well for me I am hesitant to upgrade and don't want to have to spend time learning a new user interface and looking for features and functions that are not where they used to be. I trust you people are not like Apple when they upgraded iTunes and made my digital music life a nightmare that I had to spend hours pulling my hair out trying to revert to the older version, but I want to be 100% confident before I spend $20 on the upgrade. Thanks for your efforts, I appreciate your service and support, the one time I had to report a bug your people were right on it and very interested in helping.
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 10:34:48 am »

Personally, I never saw this as a "beg" situation, and I do appreciate getting a discount from JRiver on my master license by taking advantage of the upgrade offer, so I'm very happy with things the way they are.

I don't see it as a beg, more of an offer, although it seems to habitually occur almost annually.

However I do wish I could DISMISS the daily ad in the Action Window once and for all.
I swear I am not here to drive you crazy!

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 10:39:05 am »

Turn off Check for Updates, if you wish.  It's under the Help Menu.

LDF

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 12:50:14 pm »

I have run the mjr file on both my computers and it said the v25 was successfully installed on each.  I know there is no way to "verify" that my media center has the new key, but gees.... I get the little notice every day that I can upgrade for a 30% discount... but I already did pre-purchase it.  It would be really nice if you guys would find a way to stop "reminding" me to purchase when I already did. Any way to make this stop other than turning off the auto check for updates?

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 07:25:25 pm »

When I upgrade, will it be completely easy and painless to maintain all of my present settings and preferences (skin, library view, playlists, zone rules etc) without difficulties in any way? When something is working well for me I am hesitant to upgrade and don't want to have to spend time learning a new user interface
The upgrade takes about a minute.  The new version is installed in a new folder.  There are likely structural changes to the underlying database in major version upgrades, so the upgrade copies your existing library to a new folder location.  That copy of the library contains the settings also.  At this point, the previous version and new version are both installed on your system side by side, and each has their own library.
I had to spend hours pulling my hair out trying to revert to the older version, but I want to be 100% confident before I spend $20 on the upgrade.
As I said, both versions are now installed side-by-side.  You check through the changelog for the new version on this forum and educate  yourself on what you can now do that you couldn't do before.  I've been on this software for 15 years, since about version 12 or so.  Upgrades add new things but have never been so earth-shatteringly different that would cause any annoyance in using the new version.
Tool around with the new version and when you're comfy and happy, uninstall the previous version.  A bug turns up and annoys you?  Switch back to the prior version for a while and watch this forum for a bugfix to be posted, then apply upgrade patch to the new version and try again.

ibilly99

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 10:34:43 am »

I'm using 24 on a desktop which I updated a 23 original purchase. I have 23 on a seldom used laptop which I have upgraded to Windows 10 - I note that I should have upgraded my second load within 14 days of purchase so I suspect that has lapsed. So my question is if I purchase the upgrade to 25 on the desktop can I use the key to upgrade the laptop 23 to 25 for the same price.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Oh and one final question what benefits does 25 offer over 24 ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 10:48:59 am »

Here's how licensing works:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

Lyrics download
Movie trailers
Artist images in Playing Now

We haven't announced many changes yet.

Racedog

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 08:49:04 pm »

I just upgraded from Version 23 and it installed 24 (I think this is normal since 25 is not ready yet...right?). The new version looks nowhere like the way I had 23 set up. Is there a way to reinstall (or change) 24 to look and act like 23 so I don;t have to go through all of the settings and make adjustment?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 09:20:44 pm »

Restore a backup from MC23.

Racedog

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 09:29:41 pm »

Restore a backup from MC23.
Got it

23Anonymous

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 10:18:02 am »

I've been trying to update to a Master License since the email came out. I'm trying from the HELP drop down in MC24 "UPGRADE to Master", trying to pay with PayPal, the process hangs handing me off to PayPal. The best I can describe is that PayPal doesn't have the billing info for JRiver. I never get to the login page for your PayPal purchase. I can use/login to PayPal from their home page, my acct. is fine, seems as if the link is broken leaving your page. 

JohnT

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 12:42:44 pm »

I've been trying to update to a Master License since the email came out. I'm trying from the HELP drop down in MC24 "UPGRADE to Master", trying to pay with PayPal, the process hangs handing me off to PayPal. The best I can describe is that PayPal doesn't have the billing info for JRiver. I never get to the login page for your PayPal purchase. I can use/login to PayPal from their home page, my acct. is fine, seems as if the link is broken leaving your page.
Please upgrade to the latest Media Center build.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 01:29:56 pm »

Received the pre-release notification for v25.  I am running v23.

I use MC for audio only so have not dropped the dime when releases are video-centric.

Can you give idea of what major changes may be included with v25 to assist in making a decision?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 02:10:16 pm »

Video people often say we're focused on audio.  We try to improve all aspects of MC.

We don't have a complete list that we're making public yet.

Lyrics lookup and artist art in Playing Now are two nice features you will see. 

What do you want?

RamsX

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2019, 02:22:11 pm »

I received the update offer, I'm running JRiver 24 now. Have been a customer since JRiver 19, or something like that.

For music, JRiver is my default player. But lately I've been using Kodi more and more for video/TV shows.

The reason: I'm all depended on subtitles, and Kodi has a VERY nice and easy way to download subtitles when watching a movie/TV show, using 3rd party addons like Opensubtitles.
It just works, and it's very quick and easy.

I can't find a way to do this in JRiver, and that's the ONLY thing that stops me from purchasing a Master License.

PS: The media server function in JRiver is also very nice.

Best Regards,
sramsoey@hotmail.com

Spike1000

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 02:25:04 pm »

I'm pretty new to MC, bought it and been using about six months or less, very happy with the way it is working. When I upgrade, will it be completely easy and painless to maintain all of my present settings and preferences (skin, library view, playlists, zone rules etc) without difficulties in any way?
Videos in my footer cover the upgrade process; but in summary 'yes'  :)

Spike

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2019, 03:41:38 pm »

I can't find a way to do this in JRiver, and that's the ONLY thing that stops me from purchasing a Master License.

MC has been able to download Subtitles since version 22, and the functionality has been improved since.

22.0.74 (2/14/2017)

1. NEW: "Get TV & Movie Info" tool allows downloading subtitles from the OpenSubtitles.org API based off the IMDB Id.

At least it sounds like you can add subtitles to your recorded programs using OpenSubtitles.org. Here in Australia, I get no results if I try, and if I go directly to the web site, this is what I get.

On top of that, while MC now supports proper Closed Captions, here in Australia we use old technology Teletext Closed Captions, which JRiver hasn't implemented yet, and maybe never will.  :(
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RamsX

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2019, 10:38:01 pm »

MC has been able to download Subtitles since version 22, and the functionality has been improved since.

At least it sounds like you can add subtitles to your recorded programs using OpenSubtitles.org. Here in Australia, I get no results if I try, and if I go directly to the web site, this is what I get.

On top of that, while MC now supports proper Closed Captions, here in Australia we use old technology Teletext Closed Captions, which JRiver hasn't implemented yet, and maybe never will.  :(

Hmmm... I remember I tried that function before, but it wasn't a particularly elegant way to download subtitles. What I like with kodi is how I can download subtitles with one click after the movie starts.
Anyway, I guess it's not a priority so I will just stick with JRiver 24 for my music collection:)

I guess IPTV will not be supported in future versions?

danmarsh

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2019, 12:07:00 pm »

I can't seem to find my registration code as the registration info only gives my name.  How do I find it?

Thanks!

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2019, 02:58:15 pm »

I can't seem to find my registration code as the registration info only gives my name.  How do I find it?

Thanks!

Restore registration code

nataru

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 03:45:54 pm »

Video people often say we're focused on audio.  We try to improve all aspects of MC.

What do you want?

A dedicated lyrics panel and/or hotkey for accessing the "edit in pop up" lyric viewer would be nice. Integrating it in playing now would be fine too.

23Anonymous

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 10:09:16 pm »

had tried .73 don't work, just updated to .74 and PayPal worked, Thanks

scottm_dj

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2019, 03:54:47 pm »

What do you want?

Jim...I've upgraded every version since about 18, and will continue to do so.  The main feature i would love to see is the DVD-Audio equivalent of the fantastic JRiver SACD-ISO navigation (in fact I believe this program was likely the first to incorporate that before all the DAPs finally followed suit).  I have an Exasound Mch DSD DAC which is just a dream pairing for those.   However, I also have DVD-Audio ISO files that i meticulously pulled from my disc collection of over 100 titiles--the files used to work on my Cambridge Bluray player, but they took that away thanks to all the morons that blatantly promoted its ability to do that.  I would love if JRiver would support those so i can also play those disc-free because other than the cumbersome DVD-Explorer extract, there is no way to expand the ISO for playback (unlike DSF for DSD) since you can't play .AFO files on their own.

I also have to agree with a couple other points I've read from other people:

1.  (Last I checked) Subtitled movies sent to a DLNA renderer do not resolve properly and either freak out the video or just dont show at all.  I have to play those locally off a direct-connect hard drive (that actually could be an issue with my renderer itself)

2.  (Last I checked) CUE files frequently don't work in JRiver, yet work fine in other apps--this one has lingered awhile and is a bit puzzling   

Thanks again for the hard work!

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2019, 10:46:10 am »

sebbo76

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2019, 09:31:02 am »

I already pre-ordered MC 25 for windows in january. I would like to upgrade to the masterlicense. If i upgrade through JRMC24 it shows a price at 30$, which seems a little pricey for me. Is there a discount if i already own a 25 license?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2019, 09:44:04 am »

You have mail.

sebbo76

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2019, 09:52:10 am »

Thank you! :o

RayGarrison

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2019, 04:58:49 pm »

I just downloaded jr25, got my registration code.  When I try to install, I get "your license file is for a different product". (Windows 10) I searched the forum, saw a couple posts about right clicking on the mjr file and making sure it's pointing at the right file, and changing it if not. I tried that. The window that pops up says "Filetype: MediaCenter Registration (.mjr)" with no option to change that. The top line under General shows the correct file (Media Center25 Windows-462948.mjr). I have been running mc21 for some time, this is the first time I've tried to upgrade.

Help?
Music is art,
Audio is engineering

perry59

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2019, 06:18:04 pm »

Probably a dumb question, but I didn't see anyone else ask so here goes...
When you have downloaded a newer version of MC, should you uninstall the old one first?
All settings and libraries will be retained?

swiv3d

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2019, 08:15:50 pm »

You can install a new version alongside an older one without problems.

commeire

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2019, 12:08:21 pm »

Hello
I hope I am in the right place.
Yesterday, I upgraded from 24 to 25 (and threw 24 away - ouch). It hurts because I am a Roon user. MC 25 does not show up in the Audio Settings of Roon ... MC 24 did, both in Asio and Wasapi. I have twiddled here and yon, to no effect.
Can out there help me resolve this?
Thanks in advance

edward

Further to the above: The same is true in Tidal - MC 25 is no longer listed as an audio ouptut. Tidal's service personnel suggest that, given that neither Tidal nor Roon, loads MC25, drivers are the issue.
Can anyone throw any light on this - what drivers would I need to update, in Windows 10, to resolve this anomaly.

Thanks

PaulGJ

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2019, 04:53:53 am »

Hello,

I have MC24 for Windows and Linux but  I missed out on the upgrade offer.  I would like to upgrade to MC25.  Also I have a couple of Lame licences for older versions of MC.  I would like to either purchase a new Lame licence or, preferably, transfer a previous licence to MC24/MC25.  Neither of the two previous licences is in use.

Kind regards

Paul

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2019, 06:42:31 am »

You just need to Upgrade to a Master License for MC25.  Please read this:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,120387.msg832317.html#msg832317

Alexandre VV

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2019, 11:17:05 pm »

Good morning,

I'm a little knowledgeable about it.

I downloaded the application MediaCenter250045.exe (officially purchased) and run.
A window appears and the file decompression process starts.
Nothing else happens.
What could be wrong?
I have the MC21 version.

Thanks.

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2019, 05:34:57 am »

My guess would be antivirus interfering with the installation.
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 23.10 Mantic Minotaur 64-bit | Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/256GB NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | Topping D50s DAC

aveado

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2019, 11:31:16 am »

Thanks for the tip. But I do not have anti-virus.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2019, 12:15:53 pm »

If you have Win10, you have Windows Defender.

aveado

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2019, 09:32:08 am »

Thanks for the answer.
The operating system of the micro vaio (Sony) is windows 7 home, 64 bits, with the defender disabled because it is no longer updated, and the MC21 was installed with the defender still operational.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2019, 10:34:20 am »

Disk full?

Firewall?
Pages: [1]   Go Up