INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording LP Vinyl Records  (Read 2337 times)

Archis

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Recording LP Vinyl Records
« on: January 21, 2003, 02:53:46 am »

I am new to all of this.  Can I record my old vinyl records?  If so how.  Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Recording LP Vinyl Records
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 04:09:14 am »

Under Help above, there is a "Line in recording" section.  That should get you started.

petekarn

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 09:21:03 am »

Recording your albums/tapes directly into MC/MJ is fine if the recordings are in pristine shape. If not, I recommend Audio Cleaning Lab 3.0 found at http://www.magix.com.

There is other software out there that may better meet your needs, but this is one of the easiest I have found. And it's reasonably priced, too!

Harry_The_Hipster

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003, 02:44:02 pm »

Also recommend ACL for getting rid of background noise. be careful with the track-splitter, however. It can make some bad calls.

I prefer the waveform editor in Polderbits - easier for me to visually find the  breaks, and there is a very accurate timer function that shows you how far you are into each track when you set your cursor. And it allows you to insert track names as you edit each track.

HTH

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 04:09:42 pm »

>> Audio Cleaning Lab 3.0
I have it it works good, i don't like the interface

You need to pay more money to register and use the MP3 Encoder

i think they have a new version out than the one i have.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Harry_The_Hipster

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2003, 07:44:47 pm »

Pretty good primers here:

http://www.pcabusers.net/vinyllp/vinyllp.htm

and here:

http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/journals/jnls1999/ej599/art2.htm

Really quite easy to do. Just make sure your T/Table is grounded or you'll get  a lot of feedback.

HTH

zevele10

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2003, 11:16:39 pm »

first ,if your lps are in good state -mint or new- just try to do it with MJ recorder.
I am thinking about a tip to set volume ,but i would post about it to know if it is a good one

elgibby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Red Sox
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2003, 06:56:43 am »

Question for ACL users:

Saw this among reader reviews at Amazon:

And the biggest flaw: its CD-burning functionality is incompatible with Adaptec/Roxio's DirectCD and other packet-writing applications, which are installed on many systems with CD burners. The workaround: either uninstall DirectCD or create all files as WAVs and then master them to CD in another application, such as Roxio's Easy CD Creator. Not a very satisfactory workaround.

I guess this is saying one or the other won't work if both are installed. Any experience with this issue? I have EZCD/Direct CD 5.5 along with MJ8 and do not want to screw up what's working great now.
Thx.

Harry_The_Hipster

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2003, 08:11:51 am »

don't use ACLs CD burning application. Use it exclusively for ripping to WAV (sometimes) and cleaning the WAVs, and the only reason I default to it for ripping is because it makes it a little easier to then clean the file and export it to the proper directory in a single step, without having to re-access it. Just laziness. Then I convert to APE and tag in MJ/MC.

For burning, I use only MJ/MC. So if there's a conflict between ACL and Roxio, I'm not seeing it.

HTH

Listening to: 'Theme A Tics' from 'Debut' by 'Martial Solal' on Media Center 9.0

petekarn

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2003, 08:48:12 am »

I use the Adaptec/Roxio software on the same system as ACL. But I do not have DirectCD installed because I never liked it.

I always burn an audio CD of albums I've recorded and then use MC to rip them. It takes a little more time, but I am satisfied with the results.

frobig

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2003, 11:05:05 am »

I've "ripped" over 120 LPs and cassettes, all with MJ, versions 5 thru 8, and I've been pretty satisfied. All the records I bought new were still in great shape, and some of them made nearly-CD-quality wma's. Some time I'll have to try this ACL to clean up some of my other wma's-from-records, but MJ almost always did a great job. Only trouble I had: getting the line-in level low enough to make clear undistorted recordings. Luckily I had an Aiwa receiver with mute, and the mute doesn't completely cut off the sound, it just drops the volume probably 90% or so. Fiddling with the various volume controls in Windows might give the same effect.  Later versions of MJ with the "Split" button in Record were much more effective than trusting auto splitting, IMHO; but in the case of albums with tracks fading into each other, or very short gaps between tracks, the best way is to record as a WAV file and then edit and convert in Media Editor.

zevele10

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2003, 11:31:26 am »

If you plug you turnable to a pre-amp and the pre-amp to line in,do set the sound level more easy to set?
Pages: [1]   Go Up