INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing MC25  (Read 21443 times)

mesnenor

• Recent member
Re: Installing MC25
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2019, 01:35:24 pm »

Try uninstalling McAfee.  Turning off antivirus often isn't enough.

That's not an option.

And as I said, I had no issues installing MC 24 on this PC with McAfee

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2019, 02:37:04 pm »

Doesn't mean anything.  Still could be antivirus.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2019, 04:13:49 pm »

You probably need to give MC25 permissions in your McAfee software, or set it up so that it asks if you want it to carry out it's processes.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2019, 05:38:44 pm »

You probably need to give MC25 permissions in your McAfee software, or set it up so that it asks if you want it to carry out it's processes.
As a general rule, you should not use two antivirus programs at the same time.

If I seem negative about antivirus, it's because they cause a large share of the problems we see here.  If you doubt that, please read a few of these posts.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86096.msg588759#msg588759

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2019, 06:49:24 pm »

If McAfee is installed and running correctly, it should take over the antivirus functions from Windows Defender on your PC. Windows Defender will still be active briefly at Windows startup, and may become partially active when you disable McAfee temporarily through its functions, as you would to install software it doesn't like.

So don't bother deactivating Windows Defender, or changing its settings, and McAfee basically turns off most of its functions. This should be visible on "Windows Security" Control Panel page, where it would say something like "McAfee is turned on".

Tell McAfee to allow the MC installation program to run, or just temporarily turn McAfee off. I haven't used McAfee in years, but I assume that it can be deactivated temporarily as Norton can, and I assume you can add an exclusion for the installation program and MC executables, program folders, etc. Try that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mesnenor

• Recent member
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2019, 07:55:29 pm »

If McAfee is installed and running correctly, it should take over the antivirus functions from Windows Defender on your PC. Windows Defender will still be active briefly at Windows startup, and may become partially active when you disable McAfee temporarily through its functions, as you would to install software it doesn't like.

So don't bother deactivating Windows Defender, or changing its settings, and McAfee basically turns off most of its functions. This should be visible on "Windows Security" Control Panel page, where it would say something like "McAfee is turned on".

Tell McAfee to allow the MC installation program to run, or just temporarily turn McAfee off. I haven't used McAfee in years, but I assume that it can be deactivated temporarily as Norton can, and I assume you can add an exclusion for the installation program and MC executables, program folders, etc. Try that.

I went to the Defender Setup screen and yes, it tells me that McAfeee is handling Endpoint Protection and security.

I don't have permissions to change the McAfee settings, or to Disable it. My user has administrator privileges, but to edit the McAfee settings I need the actual Administrator password.

mesnenor

• Recent member
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2019, 08:24:42 pm »

Good news. I was able to get it installed.

Such a simple expedient, really. Should have tried it immediately. I just changed the installation target directory to someplace under my user directory, and not in ...\Program Files\.

I also upgraded my license and it seems to be running OK. My Library looks like it was imported properly. It's been barely a couple of minutes, so I don't know if it's really stable. We shall see.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2019, 09:38:29 pm »

Such a simple expedient, really. Should have tried it immediately. I just changed the installation target directory to someplace under my user directory, and not in ...\Program Files\.

Well, that would explain it. You don't have permission to install software into the proper location. You need to either have that permission, or the installer needs to be able to elevate permissions to complete the installation. It could be that as security is being tightened more and more, security software is preventing an installation program from elevating permissions. I wonder if others seeing this issue are in the same boat?

Maybe that error message;
"Install Wizard could not copy necessary files to the destination folder. Please ensure that the file 'C:\Program Files\J River Media Center 25\JRTools.dll is not in use."

could be improved.

PS: I'm not sure installing into a directory outside \Program Files\ is a good idea. Windows has a bunch of protections for programs in that directory, that aren't available outside it. It would be better to solve the permissions issue. Is this a work PC, or a PC managed by someone else? They could allow the installation if they wanted to.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Loudog

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2019, 07:52:35 pm »

Help. I bought a new pc to act as my server. I did a straight download and the key was installed. Is there anything else I need to do? I have an email telling ne it will expire in 14 days. HELP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2019, 02:01:20 am »

Please read the wiki topic called Restoring a License.

The versions of the program and license must match.

Dick C

• Recent member
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2019, 09:15:20 am »

When I try to install on 32 bit Windows XP the installlauncher.exe fails with a message "Getthreadid could not be located in DLL Kernel 32.DLL"

Any ideas? I have been running MC18 on this machine for years.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2019, 09:25:52 am »

When I try to install on 32 bit Windows XP the installlauncher.exe fails with a message "Getthreadid could not be located in DLL Kernel 32.DLL"

Any ideas? I have been running MC18 on this machine for years.

Please see Hendrik's response here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,119220.msg848716.html#msg848716
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dcS

• Recent member
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2019, 09:10:08 am »

hard to find the right information here...what about an upgrade from 21 to 25? Just tested it (only because of the video playback error with Intel HD620) and it produces a complete mess....sorting is wrong, expressions not working anymore, visualisation plugins are missing, same for a lot of views...just a mess. Whats going on here? 32to64bit problem? If so, whats the solution? MC25 is just unusable like that. Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2019, 11:50:22 am »

Try rebooting and reinstalling MC25 from our Download Page.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2019, 02:41:15 pm »

... and Restore a MC21 backup into MC25.

You will have to manage third party visualisation plug-ins, of course. Plus a few other things if you have done lots of customisation, if the customisation uses resources that are version dependent.

dcS

• Recent member
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2019, 01:15:48 pm »

Thanks. I know, I wasn't very specific  ;)

I didn't had these troubles with 20to21. Some customization is in place but I don't think anything should be version dependent, some views, some expressions for thumbnail view for ex., quite basic.

I removed two test versions of 22 and 23 and Win10 was fully updated and rebooted before the setup with the file directly downloaded from your page. I don't think doing it twice will help much. Doing a recovery sounds like an option, I will check that but probably not until next week.

dac2020

• Recent member
Installing MC25 - issues with having to re-installed and re-enter license no.
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2019, 10:12:37 am »

Hello, I understood this forum is the only support I can get so I hope I can get an answer to my installation related issue.
For some reasons, every so often when I start JRiver, I would be asked for the license number and then it would go through the re-install process.   Because of that, I find myself running out fast of the maximum re-installs per year.

Is there something I can/should do to avoid this to keep repeating?   I wanted to take advantage of the upgrade pre-order but I didn't do it because of this outstanding issues.

Thank you for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2019, 10:27:40 am »

Is the machine name changing?

If you run out of restores, just post here.  We can reset them.

dac2020

• Recent member
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2019, 03:35:41 pm »

I do have it installed on my desktop as well but I never used it on more than one machine at a time as far as I am aware.   I assume it wouldn't be allowed even if I tried anyway right?
  So I don't think that's the reason.   Other than that, no, I have not changed my desktop and laptop's name.    It hasn't happened since I posted, hopefully it stays that way.  Thank you.

dcS

• Recent member
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2019, 02:48:40 pm »

After a lot of work and a little flu I found some time to take care of the MC21 to 25 upgrade again, finally

As Roderick has suggested, a clean install and a restore from 21 has helped a lot - still some flaws in expressions but after a little thinking easy to fix. No more math for sample rates, that's cool. And I'm very happy for the subtitle fix with Intel620, that was the main reason for the upgrade - and the WDM driver problem after some Win10 upgrade.

But.

Still not able to use the WDM driver - it shows up as a playback device named 'JRiver Media Center 21' with controller JRiver MC25. Doing a test directly from the sound control, I can see the level meter reacting but no output on any device. No surprise.

So I removed the WDM driver from 25 and from 21, made a reboot and than uninstalled 21 completely - incl. reg-keys and library (already had an external backup), another reboot, then I activated WDM in MC25 again - same result.

Then I checked the eventlog and found a lot off errors (informational ones) connected to MC21 (and some of 22, 23...all fully uninstalled)...weird. Further checking and analysis led me to a lot of orphaned folders and reg-keys and even the jriver service from 21 was still showing up in the list, not functional of course. Looks like the uninstall routine is not very successful, at least on my system (W10pro64 - no additional AntiWhatever).

Next I cleaned up as much as I could without killing my system but still, no success and still the same strange '21 with 25' entry in the sound control panel. At least, service is gone and no more EventLog entries for MC21.

I also had some hope it will fix the issue with another error I found in the log, 'JRtools.dll_unloaded', leading to the packetinstaller.exe in the MC25 install directory. No luck. I checked the dll, signature looks ok and valid until 2029...was a bit surprised it's from Symantec, but hey...  ;D

As I have a little experience in system engineering (that's how I pay my rent) I used some tools to dive deeper - but I cannot find anything left from MC21 or any other install than MC25.

WDM is an extremely nice feature I don't want to miss but I also have no intention to do a fresh install of the whole system. There is already a lot of work I spent for some individualization and stuff, so...Frankly, I'm not used to not being able to fix bugs either.

Still working with the eval. version but only a few days left now...Next I would remove the MC25 completely as well (I did some re-installs over the existing one already), clean the system from residues and then put 25 back on...but maybe someone has concrete hints on which screw I could turn?

Many thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2019, 02:59:31 pm »

Did you select a device in MXC's audio settings?  Can you play audio from MC?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2019, 03:59:21 pm »

The MC25 upgrade process doesn't rename the WDM Driver as it appears in Sound Settings and elsewhere. So in my case it ended up named "JRiver Media Center 24 (JRiver Media Center 25)". I just renamed in it Device Properties. (Jim that is one to add to the MC26 upgrade process, if it hasn't been.)

I also have ongoing issues with the MC upgrade (up to MC25) not changing File Associations to the new version. I have had to manually fix mine for several major version upgrade. Apparently, that is a W10 security issue, where applications aren't supposed to be allowed to set File Associations to themselves. But even setting it in the installation hasn't worked for me. I think it works better if the upgrade process finds the previous version and automatically transfers the Library across, but that rarely works for me.

So if the error messages you were seeing in W10 were related to File Associations, the above is why.

See how you go with a full uninstall of MC25, clean boot, and reinstall. I haven't had to do that for some versions to get the WDM working. If I have any problem with it I just turn off the feature, restart MC, and turn the feature on again, restart MC. It works, although I don't have it set to be my default W10 audio device most of the time.

As Jim says, make sure you have a real audio device selected for output in MC. If MC can play local files directly, and the WDM is receiving input, then you should hear output from MC. Check what is happening in the MC "Audio Path".

The good news is that the MC26 upgrade process has had some improvements.

dcS

• Recent member
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2019, 04:52:41 pm »

Thanks for your fast reply. I have a lot of thoughts to share but I think most efficient way now is the clean install of MC25 - first time since, I think, MC18 or 19. So maybe it's just time for it as just nothing happens in the MC audio path (normal listening over USB ASIO to the DAC works perfect). I'll be back.

dcS

• Recent member
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2019, 07:09:11 am »

Uff, looks like I'm back on track. I just don't know why, I don't like that ;)

I did a complete uninstall, no MC left on the system (besides all the stuff everywhere left even after uninstall - didn't clean up this time) and made a reboot. Checked the eventlog and still had the MC25 error with JRtools.dll_unloaded.

So I didn't expect much on the new setup but did it anyway - made my audio settings and activated WDM, restart MC, played some sound through the browser and surprise, it's working!

Then I made a restore incl. settings - and the problem is back. It works with just the library backup and since all my views and expressions are working I think I can go on from here.

I just don't feel comfortable as I have no idea what's going on with my system. Cannot get rid of the errors in the eventlog (even after uninstall...) and I have no clue what setting I made to break the WDM function completely.

Any ideas? Anyhow, thanks for the helpful hints and feedbacks and happy Sunday!  8)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2019, 01:54:14 pm »

Not from me. Someone from JRiver might be interested in seeing a copy of your bad Library Backup to see if anything is obvious, but that is up to them.

You could try doing a backup of the Windows Registry settings for working and non-working installations of MC, and compare the two to see if anything is obvious. But that's the best I can think of.

EDIT:
Looks like there is actually a problem, now known. See https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123222.msg853902.html#msg853902
FIX:
Install MC25.0.107, turn on WDM, then try an upgrade to MC25.0.114 or later.

dbold1

• Recent member
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2019, 10:47:24 pm »

can i install 25 on two different computers?
my desktop is a mac, my laptop is windows.

I bought a windows laptop so I could use JRiver Media Center, it's that good.

I think Media Center is the best out there... :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2019, 11:18:36 pm »

can i install 25 on two different computers?
my desktop is a mac, my laptop is windows.

Yes, if you own a Master Licence, which provides support for Mac OSX, Windows, and Linux.

You can upgrade from your Mac licence to a Master Licence. If you haven't upgraded to MC 26 yet, then it would make sense to do that now.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Upgrade
https://jriver.com/purchase_26_master_as_upgrade.html

haripothera

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2020, 01:07:25 am »

I just moved to a new computer. I have a MC 25 on my old windows PC. I cannot find a link to download MC 25. I have been able to download MC 24. No problem. I can only find a link to download MC 26. I have registered keys for MC 25.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2020, 01:16:08 am »

I just moved to a new computer. I have a MC 25 on my old windows PC. I cannot find a link to download MC 25. I have been able to download MC 24. No problem. I can only find a link to download MC 26. I have registered keys for MC 25.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123295.0.html

haripothera

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2020, 01:27:53 am »

Thanks for the link

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2020, 07:41:49 am »

The wiki has a topic called Old Versions.

Randy Alexander

• Recent member
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2022, 04:45:55 pm »

I have been using MC25 successfully for quite a while and love it. I use it just for music and have 18k files. I am replacing my laptop and have spent a few days trying to get it running on my new laptop. I have tried following all instructions and suggestions without success.
I backed up my files on old, installed MC 25 on new, restored license,  turned dlna media streaming on, chkd and UPnP file sharing was enabled. Windows Defender blocked but I was able to allow. My music files never showed up so I purchased a large memory stick and spent a day copying files and transferring over. I now have about 1/3 of my music most without artwork. I assume I am doing something wrong or missing something. Using Windows 10 and I struggle with my IT work so it may be something obvious. At least I have everything on my old laptop so I should be able to do this. I would upgrade if I thought it would help. TIA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2022, 01:51:38 am »

You can use MC to move files if the machines are both on the same network.  The wiki has a topic called Moving Files.

MC has an option that tells it whether to store art in the files.  You'd need to set it on the original machine first.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up