INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: external QAAC encoder not working  (Read 5372 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
external QAAC encoder not working
« on: March 16, 2020, 02:45:02 pm »

I convert all my 24bit audio to AAC for my car player.  It has worked fine in the past, but not after installing MC26 on a new computer. The other difference is that I'm now using MC26 whereas for the older computer is was MC25.

What happens is that it creates the intermediate WAV file but then quits. "Details" indicates 'Failed'. During the process the progress bar goes halfway then quits. It's like it cannot find the encoder, or that I might be using the wrong arguments. MC is configured for saving the new file to the same folder and to add it to the library

I've tried 2 different versions of the QAAC encoder, so I don't believe using a newer version is the problem. I've also tried using the 32bit encoder versus the 64bit encoder.  The external encoder is in a different location, but I imported the MC25 library so the commandline arguments didn't change. For setting it up, I use the MC external encoder 'Browse' tool to find it. The commandline arguments are carried over from the library restoration. I've also tried quotations for when the path includes a space.

The encoder, QAAC, is the one available from the Google repository, the commandline arguments I use for best quality are:

--tvbr 127 -s %IN -o %OUT

MC25 version 26.0.30. Does anyone see what's wrong?

EDIT: MC25 version 26.0.36 does the same...
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: external QAAC encoder not working
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 03:46:55 pm »

Try adding quotes.

I just tried this and it worked:
-s "%IN" -o "%OUT"
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

shAf

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 05:46:35 pm »

Try adding quotes.

-s "%IN" -o "%OUT"
Thanks Matt... I just tried it quickly and it didn’t work, but let me look more into it tomorrow and get back.

shAf

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 08:49:32 am »

-s "%IN" -o "%OUT"
Still not working for me. I tried browsing and using 2 different versions of QAAC, but nothing...

I've disabled not showing the command window, but it doesn't even pop-up... so it's as if it's not being found. That is, I assume if I used the wrong arguments, the command window would've opened and immediately closed.

What I'm seeing is the temporary WAV being created but then immediately deleted, while the progress bar takes 2 sec getting halfway, then instantly zips to the right and indicates done. 'Details' shows "failed".

I've tried moving the encoder closer to the root of the drive... nothing.

looking at the newer versions, it seems arguments have been added. Is there an alternative argument(s) for achieving the absolutely best quality from the original flac?

Regarding what you're using... can I ask which version of 'qaac.exe' and if 32bit or 64bit, and where the encoder is stored on your computer.  And also your entire commandline of arguments.  I must be doing something stupid... this should be working! Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 08:51:24 am »

You might try just making the calls on the Command Line until you find something working.  At first my QAAC kept complaining about missing an audio toolbox DLL, but I finally found a working copy.

shAf

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 11:14:12 am »

You might try just making the calls on the Command Line until you find something working.  At first my QAAC kept complaining about missing an audio toolbox DLL, but I finally found a working copy.
The qaac distribution I’m using includes 2 DLLs in the same folder. You’d think that would be all that’s needed... but like I said, the command window doesn’t stay open to show an error, if it opened at all. I’ll put a WAV in the qaac folder and play around...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 11:25:17 am »

Outside of MC, run CMD, then try running the encoder manually until something works.  That's what Matt suggested.

shAf

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 11:29:13 am »

Outside of MC, run CMD, then try running the encoder manually until something works.  That's what Matt suggested.
I got that... me putting the wav into the same folder for playing with the arguments simply makes it easier...

shAf

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 01:02:01 pm »

...  At first my QAAC kept complaining about missing an audio toolbox DLL, but I finally found a working copy.

I finally got the message that qAAC couldn't find the CoreAudioToolbox.dll. I'm having a helluva time finding a working copy of the DLL that will work properly.  That is, Find/download the DLL... save it to Windows\system32 folder, and run 'regsvr32" for installing the DLL.  I keep getting "DLL failed to load" error.  Can you post a link to the working version (assuming Windows 10/64bit), and confirm what I believe needs to be done? Thanks!!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 01:10:23 pm »

This package might help:
https://github.com/AnimMouse/QTFiles

I dug around yesterday and finally got it working.  Not sure everything I did.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 01:32:45 pm »

You may be seeing antivirus problems.

Get it working outside of MC before trying to use it inside.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 07:45:45 pm »

I didn't need to do anything with my antivirus to get QAAC working. I just needed to install the correct components. This page describes what is required: https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/home

I think I used the package from Github which Matt linked to. You have to be careful where you get the components from, as some aren't genuine. Real viruses.

You just need to install the components on the new computer, which no doubt you did install on the old computer, or you had Quicktime or iTunes installed on that computer, as they also provide the components.

Make sure you get the correct version: 32 or 64 bit.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

shAf

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 05:42:47 am »

[…]
You just need to install the components on the new computer, which no doubt you did install on the old computer, or you had Quicktime or iTunes installed on that computer, as they also provide the components.

Make sure you get the correct version: 32 or 64 bit.
That’s the other mystery! It was my understanding that iTunes installed everything required for QAAC. iTunes was installed on the old computer, and it is installed on the new computer (I use it for Music Match)

Right now, I’m working within a folder near the root of the drive with a CMD window. I’ve put a previously used version of qaac64.exe in there, along with the 2 dlls that came with it, along with all the 64bit dlls that came in the “stand-alone” package from Github. Also in the folder is a playable wav file

I’ve CD’d into that folder and ran qaac64.exe on the wav file.  I am still getting the error message that qaac64 cannot find the CoreAudioToolbox.dll. That DLL is in the folder! It came in the package from Github.

I’m thinking today I’ll try ripping a CD with iTunes and see what happens.  It will be iTunes’ first rip... maybe it’ll install something... because if iTunes works MC accessing qaac externally should also work... correct?  I’ll let you know...

shAf

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 08:54:36 am »

That’s the other mystery! It was my understanding that iTunes installed everything required for QAAC. iTunes was installed on the old computer, and it is installed on the new computer ...

Something is very wrong with assuming iTunes (as installed via Windows 10 apps store: v.12.10.4.2) … because iTunes ripped a CD worth of M4As at 320kbps perfectly, and MC26.0.35) still fails, and my CMD testing still implies it cannot find 'CoreAudioToolbox.dll)

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'm still working on this because I don't want to use another AAC encoder...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 08:59:26 am »

What are you using for antivirus?

shAf

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 09:34:06 am »

What are you using for antivirus?
I use ESET Home Security. I disabled its "Host Intrusion" and disable ESET protection without it remedying the problem. 

I've put in a query at the GitHub forum... I'll be back...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 09:43:13 am »

Uninstall it.

Configure Windows Defender.

shAf

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 09:58:29 am »

Uninstall it.

Configure Windows Defender.
I don't think you understand what your asking. Leastwise, I don't understand why the same security on the previous computer allowed all this to work. iTunes worked them, and now, without this hullabaloo, and I didn't have to do anything extra other than to install iTunes, download QAAC, and set it up with commandline arguments only.

Please understand, what you're asking is for me to do your troubleshooting for you... which I don't mind... but you're also providing no credible explanation why.  If I uninstall my security, I will have to again put it thru all the paces previously used to get everything to where it is now... which is running well, except for using QAAC as an external encoder.  Frankly, I'd rather troubleshoot using MC25 first before I uninstall ESET.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2020, 10:11:59 am »

what you're asking is for me to do your troubleshooting for you...

You're running an encoder that just doesn't work.  We don't have anything to do with it.

shAf

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2020, 11:39:20 am »

You're running an encoder that just doesn't work.  We don't have anything to do with it.
Jim made a time consuming and somewhat difficult suggestion, involving a software of questionable involvement, and without saying why. Do you understand why anyone would be reluctant?

That said, it was easy enough for me to disable ESET from starting, which allowed Windows protection to kick in.  The results were the same...

I have a feeling, because iTunes (for Windows 10) now installs itself into a hidden folder, that the DLLs in question don’t get registered with the OS. Still at it...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2020, 11:47:14 am »

Antivirus may not be the problem, but disabling it is not enough.  Please read about these problems caused by antivirus software:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86096.msg588759#msg588759

shAf

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2020, 03:17:30 pm »

Well, I fixed something.  I uninstalled iTunes (for Windows 10, obtained via the Windows app store), and installed an older version that would install into 'Program Files'. 

I still cannot get it to work with MC26 but it now works within a CMD window without giving me the "cannot find CoreAudioToolbox.dll".

… will get back...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2020, 07:09:07 pm »

Well, I fixed something.

I was about to post that I think Apple changed iTunes some time back, removing the old AppleApplicationSupport, so that it did not include the required components for QAAC. Hence, on your old computer with an old version of iTunes, the components exist and are not removed. But a new installation of a recent version of iTunes, and specifically the Windows App Store version, will not install the components. At least this is what I remember. A history of iTunes may confirm that.

Anyway, I thought that I installed something, which registered the DLLs in Windows, and then QAAC worked. But maybe it was just my old iTunes installation that provided the CoreAudioToolbox.dll component. I have copies of CoreAudioToolbox.dll in multiple locations on my PC, and all have been placed there by an installation process. See the first attached image. While it sounds like QAAC looks in the current directory for the CoreAudioToolbox.dll file, and hence your command line test works, MC may require the DLL to be available to simply be called, which means it is in the Windows path or a registered DLL. This isn't clear to me. Maybe it should work by just placing the CoreAudioToolbox.dll component in the same directory as QAAC, and MC would use the Current Directory as defined in the External Encoder parameters to find it.

Read this: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?PHPSESSID=rfubatgk0dl4vfuisidqrec185;topic=117089.msg971665#msg971665 It says that the CoreAudioToolbox.dll file should be in the same directory as QAAC files.
Plus this: https://github.com/nu774/qaac/issues/59

The version of QAAC I installed is qaac_2.64.zip. The current version is qaac_2.68.zip, which you can get from here: https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/cabinet  I assume that is what you are using.

The installation instructions are pretty simple, from here: https://github.com/nu774/qaac/wiki/Installation  I did acquire the LibFLAC components as I was converting FLAC to M4A.

My QAAC directory, which I believe I manually created, doesn't contain the CoreAudioToolbox.dll file. See the attached second image.

Just to round out this post, my QAAC parameters are shown in the third attached image.

TL;DR If you have CoreAudioToolbox.dll in the directory next to QAAC64.exe, it should run from within MC, if the External Encoder parameters point to the directory, as per my settings.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

shAf

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2020, 08:57:52 pm »

I was about to post that I think Apple changed iTunes some time back, removing the old AppleApplicationSupport, so that it did not include the required components for QAAC. Hence, ...

Thanks for your response! A day earlier it would’ve confirmed my suspicions of iTunes from the Windows app store. I knew the DLLs in question belonged to Apple and that they should’ve been installed with iTunes, but when I went looking for the iTunes installed files, and finding them in a folder, hidden even from the default user, I realized I needed to find an old 64bit installation that would register the DLLs for external encoders to use.

Supposedly, you can find enough available at the Github site to create a stand-alone folder that should work, but I could never get past the “cannot find the CoreAudioToolbox.dll” error message. I wonder if that iTunes installation didn’t mess with that as well(?)

By the way, i have it working now as an external encoder within MC. It turns out it was the iTunes installation all along. The problem expressed in my last message was a stupid mistake  ::)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2020, 08:53:30 am »

I use qaac 2.68 all the time on MC26 to transfer to handheld. I just followed this tutorial to install it without iTunes:

https://github.com/wieslawsoltes/BatchEncoder/wiki/Tutorial-Using-qaac-without-iTunes

You'll see a list of files I have from the pic attached.

Where did you install QAAC? C:/Program Files might not be a good idea you may want to try elsewhere...

shAf

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2020, 10:29:57 am »

I use qaac 2.68 all the time on MC26 to transfer to handheld. I just followed this tutorial to install it without iTunes:

https://github.com/wieslawsoltes/BatchEncoder/wiki/Tutorial-Using-qaac-without-iTunes

You'll see a list of files I have from the pic attached.

Where did you install QAAC? C:/Program Files might not be a good idea you may want to try elsewhere...

Do you have a version of iTunes installed into your ‘program files’ folder? If so, that’s why it worked for you, not because you have all the files Github says is necessary for running QAAC stand-alone. That is, Apple installed the libraries required and made them available for QAAC to use. This is how it worked for my previous computer.

If you do not have iTunes installed, then my having iTunes installed in the hidden ‘Windows apps’ folder is what caused QAAC not working for me. That is, something in that iTunes install was keeping other softwares from using the CoreAudioToolbox.dll, or registering it as a legitimate Windows DLL library. There’s a big difference between the 2 iTunes installations.

To answer you question,... yes, I downloaded all those files, extracted them into a folder independent of ‘Program Files’. As you can read in my posts above, it didn’t solve the problem of QAAC not being able to find the required library files.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2020, 11:54:26 am »

Nope. Never had iTunes on that PC. There’s something you’re doing wrong or not doing.

shAf

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2020, 12:44:35 pm »

Nope. Never had iTunes on that PC. There’s something you’re doing wrong or not doing.

Read my 2nd paragraph above!
Pages: [1]   Go Up