INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing MC30 and Questions  (Read 14591 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Installing MC30 and Questions
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2022, 12:47:46 pm »

If you'll try customizing the display, you may learn why.  It could be a typo, for example.

sygnus21

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2022, 01:39:54 pm »

Is the content stored on the computer that’s running MC (local) or stored on a different device, a “remote” device?

I've got both local - files on the PC MC30 is installed on, as well as files coming my network connected NAS. BTW, I've been using this configuration since MC27, definitely MC28 in which I upgraded from.

Again, no sleepless nights as things are running smooth and no issues with playback, just curious.

Thanks.

sygnus21

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2022, 01:54:59 pm »

If you'll try customizing the display, you may learn why.  It could be a typo, for example.

Why would it be a typo? And I tried customizing the display. What would I customize to get rid of it "if" it is a "typo"?

EDIT: I edited it out. Still like to know why "Zone" is showing at "Remote". But yeah, I edited it out.

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2022, 05:58:43 pm »

Sorry to hear that you have been sick.

I am interested in hearing if it works.  It's not as though I am getting paid to do any of this, so if I put in the effort to try and help somebody, I like to know if it actually helps!  Hope you feel better soon.

I am still sick, but I did the restore procedure as you directed and am happy to report that it appears that all settings have been copied over correctly from my previous active version MC28. I looked over things closely and could find no anomalies so it's good for now as far as I can tell.

I will start using MC30 as my default player (while leaving 28 installed) to see if I notice anything that isn't right. I am glad this was a simple fix.

Quick question: where do I find the setting that designates what articles are disregarded in alphabetical sorting? I mean those such as:

a;an;the;ein;eine;das;der;die;el;il;las;le;los;un;de l';de la;des;du;la;le;un

Can't seem to recall where that is in the Tools. Thanks so much.
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2022, 08:07:18 pm »

Sorry to hear you are still feeling sick, but very happy to hear that the restore from a previous version process I have described to many people still has a 100% success rate!

The setting for articles is located as shown below. Note the search box at the bottom of the options window - typing "articles" there would've allowed you to answer your question. It is a great habit to get into… That is, perform an options window search prior to posting on the forum. Many times you can solve issues directly yourself, while simultaneously learning more about the program.

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2022, 09:02:33 pm »

Sorry to hear you are still feeling sick, but very happy to hear that the restore from a previous version process I have described to many people still has a 100% success rate!

The setting for articles is located as shown below. Note the search box at the bottom of the options window - typing "articles" there would've allowed you to answer your question. It is a great habit to get into… That is, perform an options window search prior to posting on the forum. Many times you can solve issues directly yourself, while simultaneously learning more about the program.

Search box, excellent, thanks.  :)
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel

LDF

• Recent member
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2022, 10:44:44 pm »

In the past, after pre-ordering the new version, I have waited to install it until I received an email that said the new version is stable.  I pre-purchased JMC 30 back in September but have yet to see any notification that it is "stable". Has this notification been discontinued?  Is this version considered stable yet?  I am on 29.0.87 on my machine right now and don't want to be a guinea pig.... Thanks.

Leiph

• Recent member
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2022, 08:24:04 am »

I see a cursor mismatch: In ripped DVD (ripped by MC24), in the DVD menu (Play, section, etc..) the active area is above the menu element.

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2022, 02:04:17 am »

Am trying to complete an upgrade from MC26 to MC30. Went through the purchasing process just fine. It accepted MC26 license. Sent me an email confirmation with new license #. Downloaded MC30 using the download button that is part of purchase pages. Installed but it would not run. I went directly to exe file location and tried direct open, still would not run. I rebooted PC. Would not run.
I uninstalled and downloaded a fresh copy of MC30. Installed. Would not run.
Just to check I opened MC26 and it is working as normal.

Have never had any problems downloading programs from the web and installing them. I just tested by downloading two programs and they installed and ran fine. Has me puzzled. Help please

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2022, 06:55:40 am »

Am trying to complete an upgrade from MC26 to MC30. Went through the purchasing process just fine. It accepted MC26 license. Sent me an email confirmation with new license #. Downloaded MC30 using the download button that is part of purchase pages. Installed but it would not run. I went directly to exe file location and tried direct open, still would not run. I rebooted PC. Would not run.
I uninstalled and downloaded a fresh copy of MC30. Installed. Would not run.
Just to check I opened MC26 and it is working as normal.

Have never had any problems downloading programs from the web and installing them. I just tested by downloading two programs and they installed and ran fine. Has me puzzled. Help please
That may be a security problem with your machine.  Antivirus, etc.

Or you may have a 32-bit OS.  Try downloading and installing the 32-bit version of MC.

Is the file extension correct?

What is your OS?

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2022, 08:17:30 pm »

That may be a security problem with your machine.  Antivirus, etc.

Or you may have a 32-bit OS.  Try downloading and installing the 32-bit version of MC.

Is the file extension correct?

What is your OS?

Taken directly from a system check: Windows 10 Home Ver. (x64) 21H1 (build 19043.2251) / Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0.
I am quite sure it is 64-bit but if you want me to try installing the 32-bit build of MC 30 anyway I'll try it.
I am using an Administrator level account. For troubleshooting I am trying to run C:\Programs\J River\Media Center\Media Center30.exe directly from Windows Explorer view and each time I use the Run as Administrator option. As expected a dialogue box comes asking if I want Media Center to make changes to my system. I click yes.

My security software is Bitdefender Internet Security build 26.0.30.102. But for troubleshooting I am turning off all that it defends: Antivirus, Firewall, Vulnerability, Spam. It's off right now as I try to troubleshoot. Have not given Windows Security the option to take over although, as expected, it notifies me I should do so. Bitdefender is very good at logging all it's notifications and there is no notation of it seeing or doing anything related to MC 30. Other than Bitdefender and Windows Security  I do not use any other security software.

I know how to run Computer Management so can check events stuff if you want to tell me what to check. I know how to navigate the registry though I am shy about making any changes unless I know exactly what to check and what to do.

In the 2-yr life of this PC and account I have downloaded a lot of software from the web and installed with no problems. As a test last night I installed some freebie utilities without problems. That suggests the problem lies specifically with trying to install/run this package of MC 30.

Another route to try though I will wait for your comments. I have a new laptop (Windows 11 Pro x64) and can try to install the same package to that and see what happens. In fact my goal was to update from MC 26 to MC 30 on this machine then after that install MC 30 on the labtop.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2022, 09:12:41 pm »

Uninstall Bitdefender.  Here's a thread that is nothing but similar antivirus problems.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,134492.0.html

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2022, 09:55:35 pm »

Uninstall Bitdefender.  Here's a thread that is nothing but similar antivirus problems.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,134492.0.html
Glad we are on to something! Don't want to be a jerk but I need to make a decision about options. I am on a paid subscription of Bitdefender with 5 mos to go. Upgrading to MC30 was a splurge - I think MC26 is meeting all my actual needs. MC26 runs fine. It was installed before I installed Bitdefender and I guess Bit accepted MC from the git-go. If I uninstall Bit, uninstall MC30, reinstall MC30 - make sure it runs for a few days - then reinstall Bit do you think I can have both of them getting along? If not I'm wondering if I can get a refund for the "unused" MC30 and wait out the rest of my Bit subscription. Upgrade to MC30 later on.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2022, 10:09:33 pm »

Uninstalling will tell you whether it's  the problem.

The problem isn't MC.

atreides

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2022, 10:10:34 pm »

I am running MC 30 and Bitdefender with no issue.

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2022, 10:31:58 pm »

I am running MC 30 and Bitdefender with no issue.
Was MC30 already installed before you first installed Bitdefender?

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2022, 11:32:04 pm »

Uninstalling will tell you whether it's  the problem.

The problem isn't MC.
I uninstalled Bitdefender Security and rebooted.
Uninstalled Bitdefender Agent and rebooted.
Ran a registry fixer using CCleaner. Fixed everything it found (though nothing mentioned "Bitdefender"). Rebooted
Tried to run C:\Programs\J River\Media Center 30.exe Run as Administrator. Nothing ran.
Rebooted and went in Windows Defender options. I created an scan exception for the folder C:\Programs\J River and the file C:\Programs\J River\Media Center 30.exe.
Rebooted and then tried Media Center.exe. Nothing ran.
Next I disabled Windows Defender real-time antivirus, cloud-delivered protection, automatic sample submission and firewall.
Rebooted and tried to run Media Center 30.exe. Nothing ran.
If there is anything "AV"/security related left then I don't know what to look for.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2022, 05:57:11 am »

Now that antivirus seems to be out of the way, download and install again.  Don't do anything special.

Use a different browser to download.  Use these links:

Download 64-bit build
https://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v30/latest/MediaCenter300031-x64.exe (works on 64 bit systems only)

Download 32-bit build
https://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v30/latest/MediaCenter300031.exe (works on all systems)

Launch MC from the desktop shortcut.

atreides

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2022, 01:08:24 pm »

Was MC30 already installed before you first installed Bitdefender?

No, Bitdefender was there first, I have used it for 2-3 years, and MC30 was just installed recently.

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2022, 02:28:52 pm »

Now that antivirus seems to be out of the way, download and install again.  Don't do anything special.

Use a different browser to download.  Use these links:

Download 64-bit build
https://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v30/latest/MediaCenter300031-x64.exe (works on 64 bit systems only)

Download 32-bit build
https://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v30/latest/MediaCenter300031.exe (works on all systems)

Launch MC from the desktop shortcut.
I'm rebooting between each instance of install, uninstall. During installs and first run attempt Windows Defender anti-virus and firewall is turned off.
Installed the MC30 x64 package and it would not run. Used the desktop shortcut.
Uninstalled it and next did the x32 package. It ran. I turned Windows Defender anti-virus and firewall back on. It ran without me making any exceptions. I didn't move past the opening page. I didn't attempt to install the license I was sent.
Am sure my OS is Windows 10 Home x64 bit with all updates that Windows update says to install. My MC26 install was a 64-bit package. Not doing anything fancy it has been running fine even with Bitdefender.
My ultimate goal is to get MC30 64-bit running stable for a few days then install MC30 64-bit on my laptop. This machine as server and the laptop as client.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2022, 02:39:04 pm »

I'm guessing you could install the 64-bit version of MC on your laptop without problems.

Did you try using a different browser to download?

I would try the 64-bit version again on the machine where you were having trouble. You know now that the 32 bit version will work. Is there anything unusual about that machine?

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2022, 05:12:31 pm »

Check drive for errors?
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2022, 06:45:39 pm »

I'm guessing you could install the 64-bit version of MC on your laptop without problems.

Did you try using a different browser to download?

I would try the 64-bit version again on the machine where you were having trouble. You know now that the 32 bit version will work. Is there anything unusual about that machine?
I haven't tried to install anything on the laptop. Being cautious I didn't want MC30 being on it first and complicating the licensing and server/client stuff later on. I want this desktop to be the MC "top dog" as if the laptop did not exist. Do you want me to do it anyway? If so, send me the link I should use on the laptop to download it.
I forgot to use another browser to download before so I went back and did that for the x64 package (so instead of Firefox I used Edge). The x32 package that successfully ran was downloaded on Firefox. Installed the Edge x64 download but it did not run. I uninstalled.

Next I tried installing a "not an upgrade" package downloaded from JRiver main page. It did not run. Why did I try that? I was trying to keep the discussion from getting over-complicated but I guess I should spell out everything ad nauseum.  :-[ Last night I realized I made a mistake when I installed MC26 two-yrs back. I did a custom location install and meant to install to C:\Programs\Media Center 26. Instead it installed the MC files into the root of Programs. So there is no Media Center 26 folder. And wasn't a J River one until I did the MC30 installs. (I have been installing MC custom location every since my first MC install. MC16 I think was.) Sooo ... I thought the first packages might be "upgrade" ones and couldn't find the previous install and that caused the run problem. Full disclosure: My Library data is in the default place but all media itself is on a separate disk.

Other than those mentions I can't think of anything unusual about this Dell XPS 8930 Intel i7 64-bit machine or setup. MC26 has done fine.

BTW: there was a Media Center30 Windows-569513.mjr file in the Downloads folder and I deleted it by accident. Does that matter?

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2022, 06:51:12 pm »

Check drive for errors?
Drive check/quick scan just done. No errors

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2022, 06:56:47 pm »

The MJR file is your Install key.  You could read about licensing on the wiki. The topic is called restoring a license.

Don't worry about installing on your laptop. There's no way there could be a problem caused by it. But it might tell us something.  Especially if you use the same file you used to install on the other problem. PC.

I still think you have a problem with Bitdefender, that something was left there. 

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2022, 07:18:46 pm »

The MJR file is your Install key.  You could read about licensing on the wiki. The topic is called restoring a license.

Don't worry about installing on your laptop. There's no way there could be a problem caused by it. But it might tell us something.  Especially if you use the same file you used to install on the other problem. PC.

I still think you have a problem with Bitdefender, that something was left there.
the mjr file was in Recycle bin so I've restored it back into place. Will refresh my memory about restore protocol.
I will install on my laptop but let's confirm which download location to use: Use link on this page?:
https://jriver.com/download.html

Don't know how to search for Bitdefender leftovers. Suggestion of some sort of freebie install scrubber utility? When the machine was new it came installed with a free year of Mcafee software. I unistalled after the year but I just checked and there is still a Mcafee folder in Programs with files. I'll scrub those too once I know the best way.

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2022, 09:31:44 pm »

the mjr file was in Recycle bin so I've restored it back into place. Will refresh my memory about restore protocol.
I will install on my laptop but let's confirm which download location to use: Use link on this page?:
https://jriver.com/download.html

Don't know how to search for Bitdefender leftovers. Suggestion of some sort of freebie install scrubber utility? When the machine was new it came installed with a free year of Mcafee software. I unistalled after the year but I just checked and there is still a Mcafee folder in Programs with files. I'll scrub those too once I know the best way.
I went to Bitdefender and Mcafee sites. Downloaded and ran uninstall tools they have. Agent Ransack is a search program that finds stuff Windows Explorer hides even after you tell it not to (e.g. in the Program Data folder). Using AR I think Bitdefender is gone. Mcafee still has a couple of things left but based on some reading I think they are benign, at least for our purposes. Sadly MC30 x64 exe still will not run.
On the laptop I downloaded MC30 x64 from the main download page, installed and it ran without problems. The laptop came preinstalled with Mcafee LiveSafe. I did not turn it off before installing or running MC.
I am baffled as to why it will not run on the desktop machine.

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2022, 11:57:04 pm »

I installed MC29 on the desktop and it would not run either.

Back to MC30: Using Process Explorer I watched as I tried to run MC30. Media Center 30.exe shows for about a second then disappears. I looked at Events in Computer Management and under Windows Logs /Application I see Error logged for the instances I try to run MC30. I don't know how to interpret the logs but JRTools.dll was referenced along with the exe file.

Starting with the same file downloaded from the main Download page: On the two machines I compared the install folder - Media Center 30. The file and folder counts don't match. There is a subfolder Media Center 30\Skins\Mini in the desktop install that is not found on the laptop. That folder explains the mismatched counts: 91 more files and 4 more folders.

Desktop w/ Windows 10 Home
Contains - 3,212 Files, 206 Folders

Laptop w/ Windows 11 Pro
Contains - 3,121 Files, 201 Folders

FWIW - since I started trying to install MC30 when I run MC26 sometimes it will present the message saying that MC closed unexpectantly and there are options checked off which I always accept. I'm shutting it down like I always have and it has not crashed on me lately so I don't don't why I'm getting that message.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2022, 08:37:37 am »

Agent Ransack is a search program that finds stuff Windows Explorer hides even after you tell it not to (e.g. in the Program Data folder).
Using tools like that and CCleaner could cause problems with your OS.

If it were my machine, I'd reinstall Windows.  You've done a good job of trying to find the problem and you've been very patient.

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2022, 04:42:38 pm »

Using tools like that and CCleaner could cause problems with your OS.

If it were my machine, I'd reinstall Windows.  You've done a good job of trying to find the problem and you've been very patient.
As long as this this is the only strange thing going on I'm gonna go KISS route. No reinstall of Windows, no MC30. I'll stay with a running MC26. Install that to the laptop to be client.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2022, 04:56:46 pm »

Is it really C:\Programs and not C:\Program Files ? Try doing a custom install to c:\JRiver just to check. I've had similar issues before caused by C:\Program interfering with Windows short-name aliases (c:\program~1).

Also, check if TEMP is pointing to a valid folder with Everyone permissions. Check EventViewer to see if there's a crash or other errors logged. You can also find the MC debug log file, it may have some clues. As a last one, use Process Monitor to log MC execution and see what it was trying to do before it exited.

If all else fails, nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2022, 12:14:07 am »

Is it really C:\Programs and not C:\Program Files ? Try doing a custom install to c:\JRiver just to check. I've had similar issues before caused by C:\Program interfering with Windows short-name aliases (c:\program~1).

Also, check if TEMP is pointing to a valid folder with Everyone permissions. Check EventViewer to see if there's a crash or other errors logged. You can also find the MC debug log file, it may have some clues. As a last one, use Process Monitor to log MC execution and see what it was trying to do before it exited.

If all else fails, nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Thanks for your input!
Good proofing - yes, it is C:\Program Files\Media Center 30
What TEMP would you be referring to? TEMP meaning a folder? A file? In any event I wouldn't know how to determine "is this pointing to that?" status. But I did check Security on the folder Media Center 30 and the files Media Center 30.exe and JRTools.dll. System and Administrators have full control. I have Admin priviledges. Everyone is not added as a user but is there some benefit since System and Administrators are reflected? I'm presuming all the files within Media Center 30 have inherited full control.
Event Viewer: Windows Logs\Application: I've done that and there is an Error log and Info log for each instance of me trying to run Media Center 30.exe. Media Center 30.3xe and JRTools.dll are referenced as faulting modules in that order. But that is as far as I know how to interpret the logs. I'm happy to send logs to someone if they want to examine them.
MC debug logs - you mean the DMP files found in C:\Users\misca\AppData\Local\CrashDumps? I only know to open them with Notepad - code city! No help. Again, happy to send someone copies.
Process Monitor - Downloaded and ran but I don't know how to use it. Process Explorer (also from Sysinternals) - when I try to run MC30 it will show Media Center 30.exe tries to run but disappears after a second or so. If PM logs errors I don't know how to find them.

On another note - I read the "taming Windows Defender" thread and have set up a set of Media Center 30 exclusions for firewall and antivirus. Jim will love this - Prior to that I had WD firewall turned OFF and it happened just once that when I tried to run MC30 a message came up that WD firewall had blocked something. Did I want to allow. I clicked yes.

lol - I am puzzling this situation at the same time I am trying to get my desktop and laptop to allow LAN file sharing. An exercise in Windows frustration.

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2022, 12:18:52 am »

Oh - I also started the computer in Safe mode and tried running MC30 that way. It wouldn't run.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2022, 07:16:18 am »

Did you try downloading with a different browser?

Use this build:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,134503.0.html

Use Google to read about the temp folder.

A log won't help.  As you describe it, the OS doesn't allow you to run the exe.  That's not an MC problem.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2022, 11:21:48 am »

Logging helps, though perhaps not the MC log in this case. Anyway, since there are those entries for JRWeb.dll in the eventviewer, I think MC is actually starting and crashing on startup.

I was referring to the MC debug log. Try this:
- enable MC log with this command (in command prompt)
    reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Center 30\Debug" /v File /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
- Start MC
- Check if there's a file called "log.txt" in C:\Users\misca\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 30
- paste or attach it here

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2022, 11:33:39 am »

I have figured out the problem and now have functional installs of MC26 and MC30 working. This includes Windows Defender antivirus and firewall turned on.

Remember I mentioned that 2 yrs back I had mistakenly installed MC26 into the root of C:\Program Files? Well that was what was causing the problem for MC30. To run MC30 was "looking" for something and not finding it I guess. I did a recreation configuration on the laptop - I installed MC26 into root C:\Programs Files. That done an install of MC30 would not run. So we know the problem occurred on two different machines. One Windows 10 Home and the other Windows 11 Pro.
So I uninstalled both MC26 and MC30. Then I installed MC26 to the default location and made sure it ran. Next I installed MC30 to the default location and - voila! It ran.

I then installed to the default locations on the desktop and both MC26 and MC30 ran.

It's OT but I am puzzled by this though. In my previous install of MC26 the menu toolbar was populated with a lot more items than the install this time. The MC26 and MC30 menu bars is rather sparse at this point. I'll have to figure out how to get to stuff anew. For example - how to get to the dialogue for restoring library backups. I liked my old well populated menu bar.  :(

Tell me this. I always keep a copy of my licenses. I used those to restore the license (into the trials). It says I have restored successfully. Do I still need to run the install key that was emailed to me?

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2022, 11:38:59 am »

Logging helps, though perhaps not the MC log in this case. Anyway, since there are those entries for JRWeb.dll in the eventviewer, I think MC is actually starting and crashing on startup.

I was referring to the MC debug log. Try this:
- enable MC log with this command (in command prompt)
    reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Center 30\Debug" /v File /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
- Start MC
- Check if there's a file called "log.txt" in C:\Users\misca\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 30
- paste or attach it here
Our posting crossed in the mail. Saw your post only after posting my last one. I agree - MC30 was starting but promptly (1-2 secs) crashing.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2022, 11:51:15 am »

I have figured out the problem and now have functional installs of MC26 and MC30 working. This includes Windows Defender antivirus and firewall turned on.

Remember I mentioned that 2 yrs back I had mistakenly installed MC26 into the root of C:\Program Files? Well that was what was causing the problem for MC30. To run MC30 was "looking" for something and not finding it I guess. I did a recreation configuration on the laptop - I installed MC26 into root C:\Programs Files. That done an install of MC30 would not run. So we know the problem occurred on two different machines. One Windows 10 Home and the other Windows 11 Pro.
So I uninstalled both MC26 and MC30. Then I installed MC26 to the default location and made sure it ran. Next I installed MC30 to the default location and - voila! It ran.

I then installed to the default locations on the desktop and both MC26 and MC30 ran.
Well done finding the problem.  We will try to duplicate it.
It's OT but I am puzzled by this though. In my previous install of MC26 the menu toolbar was populated with a lot more items than the install this time. The MC26 and MC30 menu bars is rather sparse at this point. I'll have to figure out how to get to stuff anew. For example - how to get to the dialogue for restoring library backups. I liked my old well populated menu bar.  :(
Try restoring a backup from MC26.  MC makes them (zip files) automatically.
Tell me this. I always keep a copy of my licenses. I used those to restore the license (into the trials). It says I have restored successfully. Do I still need to run the install key that was emailed to me?
No need.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2022, 11:55:55 am »

So you had installed to the root of Program Files on the hard drive?

Was MC30 installed to a separate folder, or was it just installed on top of MC26 in Program Files?

It's possible we should make the installer not allow this.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2022, 01:03:25 pm »

So you had installed to the root of Program Files on the hard drive?

Was MC30 installed to a separate folder, or was it just installed on top of MC26 in Program Files?

It's possible we should make the installer not allow this.
Yes, I had installed the MC26 program files into the root of C:\Program Files. MC26 worked just fine being there. A problem only arose when I tried to get a subsequent version (MC30) to run while the previous version (MC26) existed where it was. It was a mistake I made during a custom install where I meant for there to be an install to C:\Program Files\Media Center 26. I have done custom installs to respective C:\Program Files\Media Center x.x for multiple old versions and never had a problem. But note, even with the "wrong place" install of MC26 program files it still had correctly created MC26 things to default location in "AppData\Roaming".

I'll just always install to default location henceforth. Not allowing an install into the root of Program Files would be a good thing to do I guess.

No, MC30 wasn't installed on top of the MC26 program files. When installing MC30 at all times I let it install to default C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 30

One flag that told me MC30 was trying to interact with MC26 things at startup: After trying to run MC30 (and failing) the next time I started MC26 it would present the message that "Media Center had closed incorrectly" (or some such) and it shows you things to leave checked or not. But was not true that MC26 had closed incorrectly - I had closed it correctly the last time I had it open. Being very presumptuous it makes me wonder if the thing that was failing at MC30 startup was the "graphical" ability to bring up the window.

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2022, 05:27:25 pm »

Try restoring a backup from MC26.  MC makes them (zip files) automatically.No need.
Yay! Did a restore of my last personal backup. I got my well populated menu bar back. Wasn't expecting that

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2022, 07:47:54 am »

Coming next build:
Changed: The installer no longer allows installation into the root of the program files folder.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2022, 10:58:41 am »

For someone trying to follow this, the user's MC30 install failed because it's *and* MC26's files were mingled together in the root folder?
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2022, 08:11:00 pm »

For someone trying to follow this, the user's MC30 install failed because it's *and* MC26's files were mingled together in the root folder?
No. They were NOT intermingled. Installs were in two different folders. Possible implications of same folder installs is not a part of this story. I was trying to do a custom location install of MC26 and made a mistake which lead to program files installing in the root of C:\Program Files. And MC26 ran fine there. But the subsequently installed MC30, installed to another folder would not run.

The short of the story is that having an install into the root of C:\Program can create problems in certain configurations. But Matt has told us future builds will no longer allow an install into that root. You can't make the mistake I made or replicate the problem configuration.

As regards possible intermingling, the safest route is to let MC install to default location. It will create a different folder for each install.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2022, 08:33:17 pm »

SFD,
You're correct that it happened because of the install to the root directory, but as far as I know, we've never seen another problem with installation to a custom location.

Thanks again for your patience.

SFD

• Recent member
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2022, 11:25:31 pm »

Yeah, until now I've always installed to this pattern: c:\Program Files\Media Center x.x without issues.

danxmanly

« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2022, 04:39:34 pm »

Present owner of MC27... tend to update every couple of years and now's the time so I just downloaded the most recent tria (MediaCenter300033-x64) and it immediately says the trial period has expired even though it's my first time to try to install.  Any suggestions?

CharlieW

« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2022, 11:27:47 pm »

I'm on MC29, ready to install MC30. When I install MC30, I want the import to load the (old) m4a (iTunes) files into one library, and the (newly ripped) flac files into another library.  How do I do this?  Thanks!

Sorry if I'm not using correct terminology.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2022, 01:09:55 am »

Auto import could but you can just use the search or set up custom views

Moog55

• Recent member
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2023, 06:31:44 pm »

Dear Sirs,

I can't install the MC30 on my computer.
 I tried to install the MC30 on the MC27 (which worked perfectly) and it didn't work.
 After this attempt, I tried to uninstall the MC27 and install the MC30 (versions "MediaCenter300048-x64", "MediaCenter300059-x64"), also did not work. Would you please help me with the installation?

Thank you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up