INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD SUPPORT  (Read 37882 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
IPOD SUPPORT
« on: January 17, 2003, 07:31:53 am »

Everyone,

Please use this thread to report bugs with the iPod Plug-in. When reporting bugs, please verify that you have MC 9.0.100 or later by going to Help->About within MC.

Also, verify that you have Plug-in 3.0.45 or later by going to Tools->Plug-in Manager->Handheld->Portable Drives. It is important that you check at this spot, becuase there are potentially some problems with the Plug-in installer where you may think you have 3.0.45 but may not. Older versions of MC and the Plug-in should not be used.

If you have a bug, please report your Operating System and a brief step by step account of how to produce your problem.  This will help me resolve the issue ASAP.  The simpler the test, the better.

If you have a crash when clicking on iPod in MC, try reformatting the Ipod from within Windows. This will cause you to lose your data but will give a clean baseline from where to debug.

Thanks for all of you help.

Steve

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
Re: IPOD SUPPORT
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 10:28:22 am »

Steve: I'm on version .100 of MC9 and the .44 plugin.

I'm am still getting the disappearing playlist on sync.  Running XP Home.  I started w/a freshly formatted iPod.

First, I'll outline the playlists that I have so you understand.  I've got 5:

1. Ipod Tunes:  this is a list excluding certain artists and Genre's (like christmas) and also it excludes a couple of albums.  It's my master list.  All others are based off of it.

2. Beatles Tunes: Playlist=iPod Tunes, Artist=Beatles

3. Jazz: Playlist=iPod Tunes, Genre=Jazz, Vocal, Swing, Sort=random

4. Friday Drive:  Playlist=iPod Tunes, genre=electronica, ambient/electronica, down-beat, Limit=60 minutes, Sort=random

5. Work Tunes: Playlist=iPod Tunes, Genre <> classical, jazz, vocal, Limit=480 minutes, Sort=random

Obviously I'm not including the proper formatting in the examples above, but they are formatted correctly MC9.

OK, when I first sync these playlists, everything comes over fine.  All the playlists show up on the ipod.

If I do another sync (no changes anywhere), I now only have 3 Playlists on the iPod: Friday Drive, Jazz and Beatles Tunes.

Note: MC9 still shows all the playlists as being there.  If I go and delete the playlists in MC9 (all of them), then do a sync again, they all show up fine, but a subsequent sync will delete the 2.

Very strange.

Adam

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2003, 10:51:15 am »

I'm having the same problem as Adam just described.  Newest MC and plugin as of last night.  If I do a sync with playlists already on the iPod, most of them are missing and the rest are not in alphabetical order on the iPod's screen.  Most of them are smartlists, but there were both missing smartlists and playlists on my iPod's screen last night.

In order to get everything working for the commute this morning, I just did a format/sync -- everything's fine when ya do that (not suggesting it as an alternative, just saying that it's how I overcame the bug).

mjextman.exe /ipodsync

benmaxwell

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2003, 10:52:53 am »

ditto...

Oh, Steve, one more thing... GO BIRDS!  BEAT TAMPA!

(sorry guys...)
Shuttle SB51g
p4 2.4g
yamaha crwf1
Sony DVD Burner
black 60gb 5gen iPo

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2003, 11:20:28 am »

I think this is a new one.

I'm now a 2 iPOD family! Both 20G.

I synched iPOD A OK. Showed up as Drive F as I had my Maxtor firewire drive attached at the time.

Synched iPOD B OK. MC showed it up as drive E as MaxtorFirewire Drive was not attached.

Reconnected iPOD A. MC reports it as being drive F and when Clicking on it to expand it's directories I get a "E Stream Read Error" box come up and MC crashes.

Is there a reason why 2 different iPODs shouldn't share the same version of MC/MC library?

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2003, 11:57:12 am »

Adam, Kurt and Ben,

I think I have this fixed in Plug-in 3.0.45 (just posted). I definitely found a bug that was introduced recently. Hopefully it is the only one causing this. I edited the top post to reflect the new versions.

Please get 3.0.45, reformat and try again.

Thanks.

MindRacing,

Are you Joe Millionaire? Just kidding. I have never been able to test two iPod's, we only have one here. However, I will borrow a second one and then test it out and let you know what is going on.

Ben,

I'll buy you a cheesesteak if the Birds win.

Have a good weekend all.

Steve

p.s. Windows ME and 98 users having incorrect size reporting problem - that is fixed in the 3.0.45 build

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2003, 12:46:53 pm »

Steve:

Good work.  Seems to be working fine now.

Hey, I can't think of any bugs out there now!!!!!

This thing is ready!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Great job on all the hard work Steve.

JimH: give this guy a raise  :D

Adam

newhere

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2003, 01:07:55 pm »

Now that things seem to have been worked out rather well, it may be time to reflect on the big bugs that have been tackeled by Steve, and also note what a great job he has done. Hey everyone remember the F19 Bug?

It also may be the right time to ponder about iPoderesque questions. I have found it fascination to ponder about the battery life of my iPod. Hey all, since we now have time on our hands and no more complaints towards MC and the plug-in please give me your input on this:
Question... Regarding the battery (part 2)
Is it good or o.k. to leave the iPod plugged in for longer than it takes to recharge the battery? I am a little worried that my permanent formatting, testing and transferring over the past few weeks with my iPod and MC and others might have 'confused' my iPod and its battery a little...
How do you go about transferring songs and also restoring the iPod? Do you think it is good to have the iPod charged and ready to go before you transfer or restore? Or should it be empty before you plug it in? Does it matter? Will it be confused if you only charge it for the claimed 80% charge in a few hours and not charge it fully?

Thanks for your suggestions, input or thoughts.
Payam
P.S. Thanks for the insight on the iPods power wasting problem earlier my only question to Apple is: How can a clock waste that much energy? (For a hint on where this clock stuff came from visit part 1 of the battery question in the old IPod II help thread 2nd page).

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • this town is a part of us all...
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2003, 02:01:02 pm »

with winxp, mc.100, plugin .45: everything is a go. i successfully used playlist sync, delete fiels, and update tags and everything went without a hitch. great work steve!!!!

ok, as long as we're remenissing. i remember back in august when i was awaiting the release of the winpod and i found ipodlounge and several people there were raving about a program called media jukebox. so i downloaded the program and loved it. then i heard that they might be developing an ipod plugin for it. i was overjoyed. i checked the mj forum (at first it was the old crappy board) at least twice a week waiting for news about it. and here we are today several months and countless formats and versions later. i think im going to cry. thank you steve  :'(  :)
---------

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2003, 02:11:39 pm »

Hey Payam:

Not to be a pest here, but Steve's asked that we keep this board for bugs regarding the plugin.

Since most of the people here are also on the 'lounge, might i suggest that you post your question on the lounge?  

Oh, and you're questions already answered there too.  Do a search for Battery.

But I'll make you're life easy this one time.  ;)

No, you can't overcharge it.  Not possible w/lithium ion batteries.  They don't have a memory, so keep it fully charged if you want.    If you're firewire card supplies power it makes absolutely no difference how much of a charge your battery has when you transfer or restore.  Charging it partially and using it won't hurt it either, because as I said, there is no "memory" w/lithium ion batteries.

Adam

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2003, 02:38:07 pm »

Quick bug report, MC .99, iPod .44:

Queue up something.  Click Options.  Now put a tick in the "Normalize" box.  Result == Both the "Normalize" and "Force Convert" boxes get ticked.

Untick the "Normalize" box.  Result == both boxes get unticked.

Ticking/unticking the "Force Convert" box doesn't do this, just the top box.  Two for the price of one!

I'm just leaving for the day, can someone try this with .100/.45 and see if it's still an issue?
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2003, 02:42:06 pm »

Payam,
Never mind Steve.  You're always welcome to ask a question.  

Steve,
Things are working so well, I think you should buy yourself a beer and take a break.

Adam,
Thanks again for the great job you've done documenting Steve's work.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2003, 02:49:42 pm »

Payam,
Steve,
Things are working so well, I think you should buy yourself a beer and take a break.

Steve, I tried.  But not only don't you get a raise er nothin', but you gotta buy your own beer!

;)

Adam

TimB

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2003, 02:22:27 am »

Steve my apologies for losing it in the last thread.  I'll be good...promise! :)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

SteveG

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2003, 04:52:44 am »

Everyone,

I bought myself a few beers last night regardless of how things turned out (it had been a stressful week). What a relief to see things going well this morning. Thanks to all for your patience and support.

Time to watch the Eagles beat Tampa tomorrow and then back at this next week.

Thanks,

Steve

tristeve

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2003, 06:45:18 am »

Sorry all, think I posted in the wrong thread earlier.

MC 9.0.100 crashes when I click on the iPod Drive under CD, DVD, Handhelds. I have the latest version of the iPod Plug-In 3.0.45

System Info:
Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.100 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 62 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 101 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Hardware Remove.wav

Burning /  No burners found.
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Any help would be appreciated
Steve

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2003, 07:52:26 am »

tristeve:

You'll need to reformat your iPod before using the latest and greatest plugin.

You can do this by just opening the iPod drive in My Computer and deleting the hidden ipod_control folder (it's hidden, make sure you have view hidden files enabled).

This will delete your music on the iPod, but you can quickly re-upload it.

Oh, and when you next access it in MC9, it will prompt you to do a "Format for MC".  Right-click the iPod in MC9 and select "Format for MC".

You won't have to do this again.  Well, unless Steve releases a new plugin w/a new naming convention, but none of us have found bugs so far, so I think you're good to go.

Adam

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2003, 09:10:44 am »

Bugs and Problems
Upgraded to MC 9.0.100 and the 3.0.45 version of the iPod plugin and reformatted my iPod before confirming the following.

Audible Books/Files Not Uploading to iPod
Nothing I've tried will get MC9 to transfer them to the iPod... sync a bunch of play/smart lists, sync a single smartlist that is restricted to *.aa files, use the send to on the 'books' list, and using the send to command on the individual files.  In all cases, the files seem to transfer at warp speed but nothing is actually transferred.

I guess I'll have to continue using Ephpod for my Audible files for now.

Odd Media Classification
Under Media Library, I find that my movies/videos (files with avi, wmv, m2v, mpg, and asf extensions) are listed with my music (mp3, wma, and wav extensions) under the Audio tree, but my books (aa extension) are listed under the Video tree.

I can't seem to find any way for me to change these classifications.  Am I not looking in the right place or is this division hard-coded?

Random Crashing
I haven't been able to identify exactly what is leading up to this, but every now and then, seemingly at random, when I click on the drive letter for the iPod within MC9, the application will crash.

System Info
Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.100 -- E:\Tools\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1992 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 214 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive I:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive Y:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive I: HP       DVD Writer 200j    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No

newhere

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2003, 11:10:58 am »

Thanks for the answers.

Adam, I know Steve wanted to keep this an Ipod bug forum, but since there are no real bugs... I guess it will just become a free for all right?

Oh well I guess I will go to the lounge but that place always seems so crowded and yet people often do not reply to questions or bother to read em.

Sorry for the off topic stuff and cheers again to the plug-in and its developer.

Payam

P.S. From my understanding Audible support was not promised so it is not a bug if the plug-in does not support it. It may become a future feature, but until this is dealt with, we still have a bug free plug-in in my eyes...

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2003, 12:48:30 pm »

Could someone please tell me what the 'Update Tags' option does in the synch dialogue?

Thanks

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • this town is a part of us all...
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2003, 01:38:55 pm »

it updates any tags that have been changed in mc since the last sync.
---------

newhere

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2003, 02:45:30 pm »

mindracing: In the text below your picture, shouldn't it be: iPod Mind and Body are part of the same system?
Payam

P.S. I just know I will get kicked for that if not by some Admin then by Adam... I know this forum isn't for fun stuff or anything but bugs and more bugs but I just can't stop the funny business... no can do sir. Especially since space is at a premium on the www and forums. Besides doesn't that mean we can not ask questions only report bugs Adam?    ;D

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2003, 03:05:25 pm »

it updates any tags that have been changed in mc since the last sync.

I guess you mean it would, for example, change the artist name on the iPOD if the tag had been changed on in MC without rewriting the song to the iPOD?

jhubers

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2003, 05:28:29 pm »

Bugs and Problems
Upgraded to MC 9.0.100 and the 3.0.45 version of the iPod plugin and reformatted my iPod before confirming the following.

Audible Books/Files Not Uploading to iPod
Nothing I've tried will get MC9 to transfer them to the iPod... sync a bunch of play/smart lists, sync a single smartlist that is restricted to *.aa files, use the send to on the 'books' list, and using the send to command on the individual files.  In all cases, the files seem to transfer at warp speed but nothing is actually transferred.

I guess I'll have to continue using Ephpod for my Audible files for now.
[/size]

I have not been able to get Audible files to work via Ephpod since upgrading to 3.0.45.  It had been working fine in previous releases.  The files appear to upload fine, but will not play.  The files exist on the IPOD and appear to be the correct size.  I can see them in the IPOD's menus, but when I try to play them I get absolutely nothing: no error message, no sound, not even the Playing Now screen.  Anyone else having this issue?  MC had been happily coexisting w/ Ephpod until now.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2003, 09:39:26 pm »

mindracing: In the text below your picture, shouldn't it be: iPod Mind and Body are part of the same system?
Payam

P.S. I just know I will get kicked for that if not by some Admin then by Adam... I know this forum isn't for fun stuff or anything but bugs and more bugs but I just can't stop the funny business... no can do sir. Especially since space is at a premium on the www and forums. Besides doesn't that mean we can not ask questions only report bugs Adam?    ;D

Payam:

Please don't take my gentle nudge in the wrong way.  I'm in no way related to MC and am certainly not an Admin or Mod here.  Just thought it'd be easier.  Heck, I'm all for fun.  Look at my posts.

Sorry, working to much and wasn't thinking I guess.  ;)

Oh, and I my suggestin regarding the lounge was just that you might find you're answer quicker there instead of having to wait on someone's reply, because it's been discussed a lot over there.

No worries, I really don't care about this being for bugs only. Far from me to say what I said.  I was out a line.  Sorry.  

Adam

newhere

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2003, 07:26:06 am »

Adam no hard feelings I was just messing around...

By the way I did look at the lounge and there is a ton of stuff regarding the battery (almost too much I think I spend a few hours wading through it, so your answer was faster). I even added my two cents to the battery havoc by posing the topic: Battery, need I say more?

Payam

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2003, 07:34:12 am »

I have not been able to get Audible files to work via Ephpod since upgrading to 3.0.45.  It had been working fine in previous releases.  The files appear to upload fine, but will not play.  The files exist on the IPOD and appear to be the correct size.  I can see them in the IPOD's menus, but when I try to play them I get absolutely nothing: no error message, no sound, not even the Playing Now screen.  Anyone else having this issue?  MC had been happily coexisting w/ Ephpod until now.

I just verified that my Audible files are working fine (as long as I use Ephpod to transfer them).

I know you said that they worked fine before, but is there any chance that the files you are having problems with are not in Audible's format 3 or 4?  The results you're seeing sound like what I heard you get from trying to play format 1 or 2 Audible files on the iPod.  

Just a thought.

jhubers

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2003, 09:06:13 am »

I reformatted and installed the audible files first this time and everything worked fine.  I then synched my music (@4000 files/15gb).  The Audible files were still working fine, but the playlist I had created for them was deleted.  I then tried to add another audible file to the IPOD.  This file wouldn't play (although the older ones still did).  For some reason once I have synched music, I can't add audible files.

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2003, 10:42:45 am »

Steve,

Upon synching my IPod I,too, have experienced disappearing playlists.

This problem occurs when I try to synch with items already on my IPod and I'm trying to update the files. The synching shows a mind-blazing speed of up to 320mb+. When I open the IPod (and check the contents through MC explorer), the playlists are empty.

My workaround is to reformat every time I want to re-synch and start fresh.

Also, I have 2774 songs on my 20gig unit and I show 15.4 gig available (if it were only true  ;) ).

Thanks for your time and efforts.

John
Thank you,

John

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2003, 10:43:48 am »

Steve,

PS on previous post (sorry): I'm running W2k -- here is the system info:

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
AMD Athlon 1399 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 246 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.6144 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max

Burning /  Drive F: LITE-ON  LTR-16102B         Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Use MJ Engine:Yes
Thank you,

John

SteveG

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2003, 11:33:39 am »

IDSmoker and jhubers,

I will solve the Audible thing soon (tomorrow?).

Canaro99,

Can you verify that you have Plug-in 3.0.45 or later by going to Tools->Plug-in Manager->Handheld->Portable Drives.

Everyone,

My apologies for souding the hard-@ss alarm with this thread being only for bugs. Feel free to discuss whatever you want, I was just freaking out last week.

Steve

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2003, 11:51:33 am »

Steve,

I checked (double) and I have 3.0.45. The latest occurance of the aforementioned problem was last night with this build.

I will try this again later today when I get home from work.

Thanks, John
Thank you,

John

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2003, 09:20:34 pm »

On the iPod battery problem...

I'd noticed that my battery was discharging too quickly, also. On some forum, I found the suggestion that iPod firmware 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 contain a new bug that is responsible for the discharge.

My iPod came with 1.2 (.0). I've reloaded this version and my battery life is back to normal. Since it worked for me, I posted it for you:

http://www.eldoradosoft.com/iPod1-2/setup.exe    (20 Mb)

I don't see the harm in posting this, as it requires an iPod to have any value whatsoever, and I'm not posting the MMJB serial number (as if anyone here would want it).

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2003, 12:28:38 am »

MC9 9.0.100, iPod .45

Used Apple Updater to reformat iPod. Formatted for MJ. Selected files, count of 2087. On sync, got:

Playlists appeard fine on MC9 view of iPod. Immediately performed another sync, received same error. Transfer rate hovered around 80 MB/s. Disco'd iPod; playlists still OK, "The Sweetest Gift" *WAS* present on iPod... twice. Reco'd iPod to test more.

Sucessfully played "The Sweetest Gift.mp3" from Artist/Album view... therefore no problems with file name, contents, etc. Tried third sync, xfer rate around 400 MB/s. Note: xfer rate was much higher after disco/reco of iPod. However, Sade song still failed xfer to iPod.

You can see the Path for the song in the JPG image. I posted iTunesDB for you:

http://www.eldoradosoft.com/temp/iTunesDB.zip

Examined view of iPod in MC9. Found very unusual entries:

(Sorry image is so physically large, but if I resized it, the compressed file size got dramatically larger coz of the variety of pixel colors vs. the original). Note the array of weird entries. For example, "Imitation Leather Jacket" occurs four times after three syncs. It is, in fact, in three playlists; apparently the second (+) syncs don't quite understand the situation and split it into "All iPod,Euro" and "All iPod,Party". You can also see Sade's song highlighted - even though it got error messages on all three syncs. Note also that only 2076 songs are counted on iPod although 2087 are in playlist "All iPod".

Re-sync #4. Xfer rate showing 486 MB/s. Wow... now look at the files on the iPod. I couldn't even fit the whole list of odd ones onto the screen:

Here is the iTunesDB after the fourth sync:

http://www.eldoradosoft.com/temp/iTunesDB2.zip

OK... it's late, but I gotta know more. Restore iPod with Apple Updater, firmware 1.2.0. Format for MC9. Note: if "CD, DVD & Handhelds" is expanded, when iPod is plugged in, the iPod icon does not appear. You must collapse and expand "CD, DVD & Handhelds" to see it. Shrink song list to 720 songs for testing, all songs in one directory.

Sync 1: WOW! MC9 was running while Apple Updater reformatted iPod. When I left-click on F: (iPod), all the songs that were there before formatting are still showing in MC9. I was not advised of need to format for MC9. Restarted MC9.

OK, now I get the "Not formatted..." message and do the right-click MC format. Test Session #2, Sync 1 of 720 songs. What's this? Speed during this sync showing 8.1 MB/s (typical for me) while the very first sync started at 7.5 and went down from there. I believe there is still some interaction between MC and other software (Updater?) that causes changes in xfer rates.

After first sync, file count on iPod is 720 (correct) and playlists are correct. Re-sync #2 with no changes. Sync now at 86 MB/s, not 400-480. Curious. All file and playlist entries still correct. Changing to 1768 files, of which 720 are already on iPod.

Got the same error message about Sade again. BANG! Here is the weirdness again:

Here is the ITunesDB (bad) and ITunesBackup (good):

http://www.eldoradosoft.com/temp/Databases.zip

The key seems to be that Sade is on a different drive (D: vs. E:) with different path naming conventions. Also, the Sade MP3's were made using .098's Convert Format utility; all others were from .088.

Sync #4, no changes from above. Even more corrupt entries:

iTunesDB: http://www.eldoradosoft.com/temp/iTunesDB3.zip

MC9's count of files on iPod: 1757. Contents of "All iPod": 1768. Number of songs on Sade's "Lover's Rock": 11 (!) The fact Sade's song count is exactly the difference between the count in "All iPod" and the iPod file count just can't be conincidence. But those 11 songs sure do mess up the iTunesDB.

I think it's important to note that these 11 songs are all on drive D:, while ALL other songs are on drive E:. Also, they are encoded with .098 vs .088.

More testing. Moved Sade files to E: and re-sync'd. OK... now it's going 480 MB/s again. Odd. But, at the end of the sync, I got *NO* error message about Sade, and the iPod song count is now 1768 as it should be. There are valid entries for each song on "Lover's Rock", but the old weird entries are still there:

iTunesDB: http://www.eldoradosoft.com/temp/iTunesDB4.zip

I think that should do it for you. Another note... I tested xfer rates carefully when you were using the BIG LONG filenames that included the path. I went to 3-"digit" filenames, using 0-9 + A-Z rather than just digits, and put them in a directory named simply "I". I could not measure a difference in transfer rates between them and the long filenames. If you've gone to numbers for iPod compatibility, cool. But it doesn't make a noticeable difference in xfer rates.

Gimme a call if I can help - but after 9am PST, OK? Check the time of this post... it got late trying to figure this out.

thx, Randy

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2003, 12:53:28 am »

My apologies for souding the hard-@ss alarm with this thread being only for bugs. Feel free to discuss whatever you want, I was just freaking out last week.

;)    What say we talk about why you were freaking out?

Anyhow... I laid down for all of two minutes when I realized what may have happened. I got the bug nailed!

Check out the mega-post above this. See the Sade error message? "D:/New Shared MP3/..."

But the fact is, I had moved those files to "D:/Shared MP3/..." as a result of housekeeping while I rip CDs. The entries in MC9 were outdated, pointing to files that did not exist.  (well, they were elsewhere in the structure, not included in the "All iPod" list)

I removed the references to the E: version of Sade, and imported the proper D: version. Another sync, and SUCCESS, no error about copying and the file count is correct (1779; I didn't delete unlisted files).

It was *not* the drive on which the files were located. It happened because the MC9 DB entries were invalid and the files didn't exist. I simply cannot explain why the song played just fine in the previous post when its link wasn't correct. Unfortunately, my MC9 DB can't be autopsied as I deleted those entries in my testing.

I'm afraid you gotta check for the existence of each file before you try to transfer it. Otherwise the weirdnesses shown above happen if the MC9 entry is invalid. I'm not sure why I only got an error message on one file, but it's just too late to work on that one. And I certainly can't figure out why the plug-in tried to transfer files that should have failed CFile:: Open() or what got transferred. Lobby: Since you need to check for existence, could you grab the Time/Date from FindAllFiles() and update files which have changed since last sync?

(sorry, I had to ask for it again :) ).

Now for the last test. Re-sync with "Delete files not in list" checked. Uh-oh. iPod file count went from 1779 to 1544... should have been 1768...

iTunesDB and iTunesBackup: http://www.eldoradosoft.com/temp/Databases2.zip

As has always been the case for me, "If it can break, I'll break it."

l8r, Randy

SG... you missed a good hummingbird pic.

TimB

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2003, 02:25:38 am »

Now THAT is what I call a bug report! ;)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

SteveG

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2003, 10:26:22 am »

Audible file people,

How are you managing to get .aa files to work with MC?  When I try to import .aa files, I get a box that asks for my user name and password. This is because MC is opening the file with RealOne. In talking to Audible support, they claim RealOne no longer supports .aa files. What's the deal?

Steve

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2003, 11:53:24 am »

Okay, I know this is slightly off topic but this problem is REALLY spoiling my iPOD experience!

have a 120G Maxtor 5000DV and a 20G iPOD that I want to use with the 1394 Firewire port on my Dell X200 notebook.

The only way it will work is if I change the Computer driver from ACPI to Standard PC.

However, with the driver set like this my Dell fails to recognise the built in TrueMobile Wireless network card. Set to ACPI, the network card works fine but the firewire port fails with 'Delayed write failure'. This is stoping me accessing MC over my wireless network.

How can I have both the 1394 and Wireless netowrk running together?

Whoever gives me a workable solution to this can choose any CD from CD Universe, or similar, delivered to them at my expense.

All help would be most appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2003, 12:02:16 pm »

In XP networking, try disabling the 1394 networking.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2003, 12:06:31 pm »

Thanks JimH, already tried that - no go.

moriarty

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2003, 01:08:14 pm »

Steve,

I'm not sure anyone ever confirmed it, but my Windows ME is not correctly seeing the full size of my IPOD.  Thanks!!

I haven't really tried anything else, but it's good to see that fixed as I can now synch!!

:D

mclaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2003, 03:42:03 pm »

JimH & Steve:

OT, but I don't care- when are we going to get a new beta? 9.0.100 doesn't allow us to edit fields, we have to go into each file's properties.  For me, I need this so I can continue to update all my files en masse......

jhubers

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2003, 04:10:48 pm »

Audible file people,

How are you managing to get .aa files to work with MC?  When I try to import .aa files, I get a box that asks for my user name and password. This is because MC is opening the file with RealOne. In talking to Audible support, they claim RealOne no longer supports .aa files. What's the deal?

Steve

Steve, I am using Ephpod to manage files on the IPOD.  It is a free program originally designed to give windows users access to the Mac IPOD.  Download here http://www.builderadius.com/ephpod/ephpod260d.exe
Just open Ephpod and click the Add Songs button on the toolbar to select an .aa file.

The 2 products have coexisted just fine for the past few months.  The current problems started with the latest plug-in 3.0.45.

jbiehl

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2003, 05:22:37 pm »

Hi,

After reading this board for a while I guess I'm the only one here using a MAC Ipod whith MJ.  I use it with XPlay, in an effort to use my ipod between my PC and my mac.

Here are some observations while coexisting with Itunes 3 on Mac OS X:

If I use sound check on the ipod, Itunes will analize all my files, in order to do volume leveling.  Anything done on MJ on the PC will force iTunes to check EVERYTHING again.

MJs volume leveling has no effect on Sound check.

Playlists made on MJ look fine on iTunes.  Not the other way around.  A playlist created in iTunes will appear as a "," on MJ

mclaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2003, 05:26:17 pm »

I knew I shouldn't have complained earlier this evening- now I can't access my Ipod through MJ!

I left (or right click) on my Ipod (G:), and receive this error: "stream read error"

Here's my system info:

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1  (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 736 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 246 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpclient.010817-1148) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Burning /  Drive E: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W1210A   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2003, 05:33:46 pm »

I think this is a new one.

I'm now a 2 iPOD family! Both 20G.

I synched iPOD A OK. Showed up as Drive F as I had my Maxtor firewire drive attached at the time.

Synched iPOD B OK. MC showed it up as drive E as MaxtorFirewire Drive was not attached.

Reconnected iPOD A. MC reports it as being drive F and when Clicking on it to expand it's directories I get a "E Stream Read Error" box come up and MC crashes.

Is there a reason why 2 different iPODs shouldn't share the same version of MC/MC library?

I had the same stream read error.

Did the error box have an E in the top left corner?

I thought this was a reference to the drive it was looking for.

Only way out for me was to format and start again.

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2003, 05:40:03 pm »

XPlay saves its AutoSync status file on the iPod, so it can manage several iPods syncing at different times.

SteveG

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2003, 06:11:43 am »

Moriarty,

" but my Windows ME is not correctly seeing the full size of my IPOD.  Thanks!! "

Just to be sure, in the above you mean "is now seeing" right?

jhubers,

I mean how are you accessing the files in MC? I cannot even get them to import with 9.0.100. Do you have WMP or RealOne installed? If so, what versions?

jbiehl,

We have not done any testing with a Mac formatted iPod yet. Sorry. We want to get to this, but have not had time yet.

McLaugh,

Not sure on this. Could you try reformatting in windows or with Ipod Updater?

Steve

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2003, 06:35:23 am »

Audible file people,

Steve

I forgot to ask in the email I sent you, do you have Audible's AudibleManager 3.6 installed?  This could be part of the problem.

jhubers

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2003, 08:35:33 am »

I mean how are you accessing the files in MC? I cannot even get them to import with 9.0.100. Do you have WMP or RealOne installed? If so, what versions?

I normally don't access Audible files in MC.  I can however play them in MC if need be.  MC starts up AudibleManager 3.6's player and plays the files through it.  Until the MC IPOD plugin can transfer .aa files to my IPOD properly (which is the best solution), I just want MC to stay out of the way when I use Ephpod to transfer the files.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up