Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ 9  (Read 8066 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
MJ 9
« on: October 16, 2003, 11:01:05 am »

We're working on a project that may allow us to put out a simplified MUSIC ONLY version of Media Center.  It would, of course, become MEDIA JUKEBOX 9.

Here's a screenshot:

Larger image at http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/misc/MJ9_10_16.jpg

Comments?  Thumbs up?  Down?  Worth getting out of bed tomorrow for?

bennyd

• Project Leader
Re:MJ 9
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 11:13:09 am »

Looks good but no support for handhelds ?
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 11:23:51 am »

While I won't use it (simply because I use MC), I think this will satisfy a lot of people who don't need the extra functionality of MC.

I find it interesting to see the Music Store stuff in the screenshot, even if you won't let us know the name of it. :P

And the blur near "Home" has me intrigued.

I assume whatever these things are will find their way into MC as well...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 11:24:47 am »

Looks good but no support for handhelds ?
Handhelds are in the Action Window (for now).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 11:25:26 am »

I assume whatever these things are will find their way into MC as well...
Probably.

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 11:25:41 am »

all i use MC9 for is music. so i like cleaner, faster, simpler.
i use WMP9 for video.

But with that being said, MC9 does seem to accomplish cleaner, faster, simpler already, and whatever else is does is rather invisible to me when i use the program, which i really like.

Jynx

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 11:30:11 am »

I only really use MC9 for music so a cut down version would suit me.  Do I get a part refund if I exchange the full version for the cut down one  ;)

rocketsauce

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2003, 11:52:38 am »

Sounds cool!

Would customers who already own a license to the full version retain that license if they switched to using the music-only version?

Rob

511PF

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003, 12:17:17 pm »

Is a music-only Hairstyle included?

Macavity

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 12:23:25 pm »

I love MC9, but only use it for music. So, if there is some benefit in moving to a stripped down version (IE, possible music store interface, faster speeds), I'm interested.

Just make sure it still works with my iPod!!!  ;D

Although...with iTunes for Windows being announced as I type...I'm going to have to think about it...

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 12:35:24 pm »

I'm with parannoya. Although I'm only using MC for music, the other features do not distract me at all... they even get unnoticed, to be honest.

-----
Listening to: 'Miles' Mode' from 'Live Trane: The European Tours [BOX SET] (Disc 2)' by 'John Coltrane' on Media Center 9.1

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2003, 12:48:03 pm »

Comments?  Thumbs up?  Down?

Thumbs up, many users only use MJ\MC for Music Only

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2003, 12:48:05 pm »

I'm also using MC9 only for music MJ9 is very welcome if includes ASIO, Media Server among other "audio" things
Made in Portugal

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2003, 01:35:29 pm »

Good idea but it depends on pricing. If MJ9 is just $10 less I wouldn't risk missing an important feature sometimes later (imaging I'm a  newbie). It should be possible to upgrade to MC9.1 for a fair uups fee IMHO
AC
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2003, 02:39:45 pm »

I use MC9 primarily for music.  I wouldn't miss the video features because I don't do anything more than Play, and any app can do that.

Re the name...  
The jukebox/center distinction isn't obvious.
Maybe Music Center 9 and Media Center 9?
Or even better, Music Jukebox 9 and Media Jukebox 9.

LonWar

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2003, 02:50:47 pm »

What would be really cool, is if you could have both the MC and MJ loaded on the same system.

I use it for music mostly and would like the cleaner interface, But I also don't want to have to reload it if I change my mind.

Possible??
-

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2003, 02:55:45 pm »

Now hold on a minute here. When I was using MJ 8, I didn't want to upgrade to MC 9 for two main reasons. 1) I didn't want to spend the money 2) I didn't need all the extra features that MC 9 came with. Ultimately I ended up upgrading to MC 9, and I must say that I love this bad boy, even though I don't use the extra features, it's still nice to have them. But now after the fact, J River is considering a "stripped down" version? Why do I feel like I've just been hosed? ?

Thumbs down for me. If a user wants it, then they'll have to buy the whole enchalada like I did.

The above post is just my opinion. I'm sure others aren't going to agree with me on this one.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2003, 03:01:10 pm »

What would be really cool, is if you could have both the MC and MJ loaded on the same system.

Why Would That Be "Cool"?
Fayetteville, NC, USA

nameless

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2003, 03:10:15 pm »

I think MJ9 would be a good idea, for users as well as from a business standpoint.  But ONLY--as AndyCircuit pointed out--if the price was significantly below that of MC9.

LisaRCT

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2003, 03:34:07 pm »

I have MC in my one PC equipped with a TV card, otherwise I have no need for anything other than music. Thus I use MJ8 on my other PC and laptop.  I would surely upgrade those to MJ9.
I expect you would offer a reduced price (and possibly a free version*) so that music only users would be more likely to use it rather than having to pay more for MC9 with features they will not forsee using.

* free version could even be offered as a premium included with meeting a certain purchase or subscription requirement from the "#### Music Store" with a paid upgrade available.

wonmug

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Don't worry, I'm always like this!
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2003, 04:33:07 pm »

Count me as definitely interested. I would want the option to have both MC9 and MJ9 on my machine for the same license, with MJ9 associated with music files and MC9 with video, etc. Is that what you have in mind for existing MC9 users?
From the desk of: wonmug

jleerigby

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2003, 04:53:46 pm »

Personally I only use MC for music and like the idea of being able to clean up / simplify the interface so it's geered towards music alone.  I wouldn't expect to pay less, I'd rather pay the same or more and continue to get a great product that is still evolving (I accept that I might be in the minority here).

Even with a music only interface there are things in the tree that I would not use; My Computer, Handhelds, Start and Web media for example, and I would appreciate having the ability to supress these items from view.  Anything that would mean I (and friends) find the whole experience cleaner and simpler would be a big plus.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2003, 05:09:59 pm »

Now hold on a minute here. When I was using MJ 8, I didn't want to upgrade to MC 9 for two main reasons. 1) I didn't want to spend the money 2) I didn't need all the extra features that MC 9 came with. Ultimately I ended up upgrading to MC 9, and I must say that I love this bad boy, even though I don't use the extra features, it's still nice to have them. But now after the fact, J River is considering a "stripped down" version? Why do I feel like I've just been hosed? ?

Thumbs down for me. If a user wants it, then they'll have to buy the whole enchalada like I did.

The above post is just my opinion. I'm sure others aren't going to agree with me on this one.

I don't ever remember JRiver saying there wouldn't be an MJ9. I always assumed there would be an MJ9. Otherwise what would be the point of seperating the two products in the first place? So MJ8 could remain stagnant forever while MC evolved from one version to the next?

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2003, 05:14:56 pm »

Thumbs up!!!!!!!

I have MediaCenter running on a machine that is only for playing music.  I'd love for it to have a cleaner interface and be more tailored to just that roll.

kiwi

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2003, 05:16:33 pm »

Well presuming that a license for MC could be used for MJ9, I'd see that being able to have possibly smaller, lighter, (faster!  :o ) version of MJ9 would be really cool - particularly if it could talk to the JC server across a network. (For situations where you want a second audio only machine.)

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2003, 05:59:37 pm »

Choosing between MJ9 or MC9.1? All the opinons posted here are a result of a long term expierience. But this decision is to make by newbies. All posters purchased already. MJ9 offered to music people is ok but don't forget a "gate" to MC if they find out about the possibilities of MC. (This was my way with MJ8 to MC9) I was never expecting that I might organize images with a media player but now I'm doing. A cleaned interface is a great idea but should be to set by user instead of presettings only (I use my computer sometimes).
BTW a multilingual MC would help me much more to sell some copies of MC than a cheaper music only version

AC

Electricians do it 'til it Hz

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2003, 06:04:48 pm »

I really only use it for Music.

Seeing as how I have a licensed copy of MC, if I could use MJ with the same license, I would probably use MJ instead.

I do like the idea of a "slimmed down" tool, as long as it keeps all the useful bits related to music playing (Media Server etc etc)
Cheers
Rob

MachineHead

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2003, 06:06:33 pm »

I wouldn't change to it now. But maybe v10....

I'd be due for anew purchase about then anyway.

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2003, 07:02:32 pm »

I don't ever remember JRiver saying there wouldn't be an MJ9. I always assumed there would be an MJ9. Otherwise what would be the point of seperating the two products in the first place? So MJ8 could remain stagnant forever while MC evolved from one version to the next?

I never said that I was told that there wouldn't be a MJ9. What I was told was that in order to fix the shortcomings that were in MJ8 I would have to upgrade to 9. So I did. What I'm saying is that had I known about the fact that they were even considering it, I would have waited last month when I purchased my upgrade to see if it ever saw the light of day. It appears to me that MJ9 has been in the works for a few weeks. That's why I feel I got hosed.

I'm not saying that MC9 isn't a great product because it is. I recommend it to everyone who asks what's the best on the market. MC9 not only looks the best, but it is by far the best way to keep my library organized (after I learned how to edit tags LOL) and it's the fastest CD ripper I've ever used. It plays DVDs, keeps images organized, and I don't know of any other player out there that plays as many different media files as MC9. I just don't use all of those features. MJ9 would have been exactly what I was needing at the time. Now that I have MC9, everyone should have it and they should pay for it the same way that I paid for it.

stevenf

• World Citizen
  • It works for me....
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2003, 08:35:41 pm »

Great Idea!!

I would certainly use it as i only use media center for playing music and transfering songs to my ipod.

Regards

Stevenf

nila

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2003, 08:37:46 pm »

Kinda curious about it.

Is it going to be faster/leaner/less resource demanding in the music only version or is it simply going to have the additional features disabled and the code the same?

Also, what features would be removed from it?

I'd need a bit of info to make a decision.

kiwi

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2003, 08:50:15 pm »

It appears to me that MJ9 has been in the works for a few weeks. That's why I feel I got hosed.

I would assume that users of MJ 8 would probably have to pay to upgrade to MJ 9 anyways.

I hope that users of MC 9 will have the option of using MJ 9 w/o having to pay an additional fee.  (unless it makes some very big improvements.)  

kiwi

modelmaker

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2003, 09:18:33 pm »

Thumbs up from me too. I do hope MJ & MC would be able to run next to each other. I wouldn't mind paying a small premium for the privlidge.

I think it would be a good purchase option for some first timers.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2003, 04:36:25 am »

It's what I've been waiting for ;D

NoCodeUK

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2003, 05:05:29 am »

If the price was right and the feature set was good this could really encourgae the iTunes set to buy.  Presumably this product would be a direct competitor to aforementioned apple program...therfore I would guess price wise it could not be more than about $15 or $20 as people can get iTunes for free.  MJ would have to have enough features over iTunes to justify it having a price tag or people simply wont pay...Personally I will be sticking to MC 9 as I need all the advanced options and video playback...but I can see how this could appeal...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

nila

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2003, 06:11:16 am »

Someone mentioned the ability to run this side by side with MC9 - for v10 it would be VERY nice if we could run it side by side with v9 so we can test the beta's of MC10 while still having our main solid jukebox (MC9.1) around.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2003, 08:53:47 am »

What I'm saying is that had I known about the fact that they were even considering it, I would have waited last month when I purchased my upgrade to see if it ever saw the light of day.

A MJ9 Version was talked about in this forum By J River

at that time J river basicly stated when they were done with MC9 they would release MJ9 however this has not been commented on by J river since that time.

so if you search for it you will find the message.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

shAf

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2003, 11:16:47 am »

I also use MC9.1 pretty much strictly for music, but what I do not see in this version of MJ9 is web radio(?)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2003, 03:37:12 pm »

I personally really like Media Center 9's handling of jpg's almost as much as how it handles my music collection. I would never go to a music only version!

I also watch TV from time to time in MC9 but use Windows Media Player for avi's and mpg's (I like the auto-receding top and bottom control bars - very smooth)...

The best is being able to create playlists of certain pictures with relevant music to go with...am I the only one in this thread that uses this feature?  :o

Kwake

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2003, 02:24:24 am »

Choosing between MJ9 or MC9.1? All the opinons posted here are a result of a long term expierience. But this decision is to make by newbies. All posters purchased already.

Well, mostly.  Then there are those of us who haven't taken the plunge yet.  I'm trying out MC9 (30-day trial) just because I'm looking for a good way to manage my mp3's and iPod.  I don't have a tivo or fancy home entertainment system or dvd collection or tv tuner card.

I like MC9 a lot.  So if there were a $20 audio subset (doing all the audio things MC9 does, including iPod synching), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  But if my only option is the whole $40 monster, then I'd probably feel compelled to try out the free iTunes first to see if it meets my needs before I buy way more software than I need.

modelmaker

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2003, 06:10:03 am »

I think from a marketing standpoint, BVM has it right. For new "customers", the 40$ pricetag may be a turnoff. An awful lot ppl out there only play mp3s and there are a lot of free/cheap mp3 players available. Remember what many of us used before we found MC! ;)

Once you get the newbies hooked on a 20$ MJ and they start using it's features and start checking out interact, they'll educate themselves and their needs will develop to a point where MC will be the logical next step.

Quote from Kwake:

"The best is being able to create playlists of certain pictures with relevant music to go with...am I the only one in this thread that uses this feature?"

I use this a lot too. I set up slide shows with IrfanView & put them in playlists. I also use it to create playlists with images of a booklet that may have come with an album etc.

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

kiwi

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2003, 10:31:38 pm »

As I've been playing with iTunes a bit.  I would like to comment that a MJ version that has a cleaner interface would be really nice.  I know that i can move some items in the left hand tree and delete some items, however, I guess that what I really would like is one that came as a default with a nice clean audio only interface.  

Maybe have some options for disabling some of the options from the tree if we don't use them: CD/Artist info, My Computer, TV Tuner, Web Media.  

kiwi

micbean

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2003, 02:37:42 pm »

BIG THUMBS UP!

Having been a loyal MJ user for 2 years, imagine my shock when I decided to pull out the wallet and "upgrade" to MC9 (which I really like by the way) only to find that I don't qualify for any "special" upgrade price because I bought an MJ7 license not MJ8.  Wait a tick?  I am a loyal registered user but I have to pay the same FULL PRICE that a newbie would pay for MC9?  I really don't understand the logic behind this policy but, hey, it's a free market economy and it's not my company.

Since I can't justify paying FULL PRICE for features I don't need/want and will never use, I decided to stay with MJ8 'cause it kicks major A**!  However, given a chance to upgrade/buy a slick, lean, low priced model of MJ9, I'd spend some change on it.

mic

markp99

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2003, 04:02:10 pm »

Gad to hear that "(Dave Digs Disney)"  :)

rjcrum

• Recent member
  • Sunnyvale, CA
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2003, 04:38:13 pm »

Count me in for a music only version, too.  I hope that Media Server will be included for TiVo HMO usage....if I ever get it working without "unexpected errors".
Pages: [1]   Go Up