INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: V10 Licenses and Prices  (Read 58256 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:V10 Licenses and Prices
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2003, 07:19:49 pm »

Thanks for your interest in MC.  Give Brazil our best.  

zak326

• Recent member
  • consultant
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2003, 03:29:52 am »

As i recall there was the same kind of hoopla when 8 went to 9 etc. there was a ;limitedc time to upgrade because one was a loyal supporter, etc.. Look we all know these upgrade prices are done with smoke and mirrors, but on the other hand a lot of work has to go into this product. They give more support and updates through the constant making it better process than i have ever seen. this is really a product that constant evolves,  and about once a year they either ask some of us to pay something or some to pay the whole thing or some to pay part of it. It all boils down to this in my mind.

I am paying an average of $15-20 a year for a product subscription like strardopck or some of the other subscription product services.  Like it or hate it, that's what it is and you'll never get a product that ias good or has as good a support function anywhere in my book. However that licensing restore is a pain  ...because I test a lot of software, I end up formatting about every couple of weeks and for some reason when I do crash the license on this program goes first. I guess i'll go to my grave blowing off steam about the restore function, But in that regard no one has ever given me a problem there either.

I have been a big critic of certain things around here , which I won't go into now, but these guys work very hard to keep up the quality and evolve the product. Give them a break, or better still try one of their competitors. I've tried them all and I still put this product at the top of the list!

Now my major point I am totally confused. How much money do I need to pay you for this phantom prroduct?

DJ_Hazelwood

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2003, 03:59:19 am »

A few people purchased MC10 at full price before we began the special upgrade price from V8 to V10.

These people should receive e-mail in a day or two concerning a partial refund.

We can't continue to do this because it requires a lot of time to do, so please be careful that you purchase the right license at the right price.

Thank you JimH, and Ms. Ruthan Gagner, that refunded me the price difference between a new purchase of product, and the upgrade to Media Center version 10, which was what I really wanted.
JRiver staff make what they promise in time. I received the e-mail promised.
Thank you all.

I've also received the email (within a very short time).

Thanks to the people at JRiver. This was very, very fair from you.

Absurrrd

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2003, 01:28:59 pm »

All these confusing theoretical pricing situations are making my CD-Rom spin. I would appreciate it if someone Could say in a simple way how much it will cost this week to get a version 10 when the last purchase made was for version 8 ?.    

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2003, 01:31:35 pm »

All these confusing theoretical pricing situations are making my CD-Rom spin. I would appreciate it if someone Could say in a simple way how much it will cost this week to get a version 10 when the last purchase made was for version 8 ?.    
Please see the first post in this thread.

jcouch93

• World Citizen
  • I'm confused...
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2003, 07:27:41 pm »

Just happened to check back on the board for any changes and I see that JRiver offered a deal to those of us who had 8 and got the free upgrade to 9.  5 minutes later I'm the proud papa of v10!!!  Thanks guys!

phatrabt

zak326

• Recent member
  • consultant
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2003, 07:36:19 pm »

Reading all those emails and trying to sort through them was as difficult as friguring out whether Michael Jackson and Diana Ross are the same person, but the registration process was a snap. it took all of 15 seconds. In fact it wrent so fast I didn't  get to see the code. I'm sure it will shjow up in email or something.

And it hasn't crashed yet.

I found out vers 9 kept losing the license and crashing on me. It had to do the the DFX plugin and the way it was trying  get me to download new skins etc, each time it came up. It was conflicyting big time.  I told The said the program did not do that if it was registered and it was reg9istered and saying it was. . If you need me to shed further info in the problemn I can alktho I did not do a log beecause i had no idea the problem was internal to a plugin., I thought it was something external because i tried it on my other machine and it did well with the same things on it.

Everytime I would pplay a song ta popup window the size of the dfx contrrol pandel would popup then  go waay and takjke medioa center with it. the only way to stopit was to do a total i8ujninstall then reinstall without the plugin

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2003, 08:08:43 pm »

Everytime I would pplay a song ta popup window the size of the dfx contrrol pandel would popup

the DFX plug-in is provided thru a 3rd party, if you need help with it you need to ask them. J river does not provide support for 3rd party plug-ins.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zak326

• Recent member
  • consultant
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2003, 02:39:15 am »

Re DFX i really shjpould have posted that in the plugin area  oops! but was too lazy to start another message sorry.

Is there a place where we should be posting 1o thoughts and issues? other than this licensing thing? 100 runs very smoothly on my macine and tahts a first for any beta!

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2003, 07:35:44 am »

Just so I understand this correctly, it sounds like I need to leave 9.1 installed when I install 10, correct (in order for 10 to see a licensed 9.1 and give the $10 price)?  Does this mean that I'll end up with both 9.1 and 10 on the system at the same time, or does 10 replace 9.1?  What if 10 has some crucial bugs and I want to go back to 9.1?

What I'd like to do is go ahead and buy a version 10 license now, but continue to use 9 for the time being and switch to 10 when I have more time to deal with potential bugs.  How would I go about doing this?

Thanks,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2003, 09:01:20 am »

Just install V10, purchase the license (check the price), and use it.  

If you want to use V9, just re-install it.

kragorn

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2003, 04:15:04 pm »

What does a new user do here?  Buying V9 when V10 is available seems a waste of money, yet a V10 license doesn't seem to work with V9 so to buy a V10 license means in theory at least not being able to use a broken beta product ... buying V9 then upgrading costs more.

Is that right?  Pay more to be able to use V9 as a fall-back to a broken V10?  ?

Eiffel

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2003, 04:30:33 pm »

kragon,

I would get V10 right now (it is about as reliable as the latest V9 builds... and you should be able to get V11 in six months  ;D at a discount)

Eiffel

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2003, 07:34:57 pm »

Just install V10, purchase the license (check the price), and use it.  

If you want to use V9, just re-install it.

Should 10 be uninstalled first, or do you just install 9.1 on top of 10?

If I install 9.1 again, will the license still work -- i.e. I won't need to get another restore code, will I?

This brings up another question:  Is the license "remembered" on the system even if the program is uninstalled?  Will the system continue to "remember" the version 10 license so that later, when 10 is installed again, it will come up as "registered" without needing another restore code?

Thanks for the clarifications on this,

Larry

221bBS

« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2003, 05:19:41 am »

I just installed MC 10.0.18 and can not upgrade from my v9 license.

I keep getting the same message...

Failed to initiate Media Center purchase

I've tried to restore my license but doesn't seem to help...

ctwalker12

• Recent member
  • It's me...
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2003, 10:10:55 am »

This may be a silly question but needed:

I have a license for v8.  I downloaded and installed v10 but allowed it to uninstall v8. :o

WHAT STEPS DO I TAKE TO UPGRADE MY LICENSE TO V10?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2003, 10:12:48 am »

This may be a silly question but needed:

I have a license for v8.  I downloaded and installed v10 but allowed it to uninstall v8. :o

WHAT STEPS DO I TAKE TO UPGRADE MY LICENSE TO V10?
You should be able to install the V8 license.  You may have to restore first:

www.mediajukebox.com/license

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2003, 10:44:04 am »

I'm curious to how you would find out what license and for what version you do have. If I have a case of amnesia, a stroke, or die...then what? For instance, when I go to MC>Help>Registration Info, I get...

Product: Media Center 10.0.18 (registered)
Registered To:   xen-uno (not really)
Registration Code: xx-xx-xx

It looks like I have a valid V10 license. If it has been explained earlier, then forgive me. I see nothing in the FAQ.

10-27

wickesy

« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2003, 11:09:34 am »

I'm curious to how you would find out what license and for what version you do have.

Go to the Restore page and have your Registration Code e-mailed to you.  The e-mail will tell you which version the code is good for.

Absurrrd

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2003, 10:45:15 am »

I purchased the upgrade but I have had trouble saving the registration code page and installing
the liscense. I noticed someone else had this problem too This is what I keep seeing
Error installing Media Center license: Invalid license, error code=21
help please
                                     Chris

davewardle

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #120 on: December 24, 2003, 07:35:32 pm »

sorry to bump this old thread. but i just wanted to add my views.

i purchased my v9 license on the 24th of november, so i am a bit annoyed to see that a v10 was been made available less than 2 weeks after that date. if i had known that a new version was going to come out so soon then i would have waited. it would have been nice to have been warned that v10 was being made and soon to be released.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: December 24, 2003, 07:37:37 pm »

sorry to bump this old thread. but i just wanted to add my views.

i purchased my v9 license on the 24th of november, so i am a bit annoyed to see that a v10 was been made available less than 2 weeks after that date.
It is not "available".  It is in very early beta.  The life cycle is normally 6 to 8 months.

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #122 on: December 26, 2003, 01:07:23 pm »

How much longer will the v10 be offered at 1/2 price ($10) for v9 users?  Thanks.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2003, 02:06:06 pm »

How much longer will the v10 be offered at 1/2 price ($10) for v9 users?  Thanks.

are you planing on waiting till the very last min?

I would not take a chance

the last time it was only 30 days
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Chasoscar

• World Citizen
  • Being is Important......... being important is not
« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2003, 06:58:09 pm »

I am still confused. I purchased ver9 a few months back and have my registration code ##. I am happy with version9 and would like to continue to use it for awhile(until 10 comes a little closer to release) but would like to go ahead and purchase the $10 upgrade license for ver10. The reason I am so apprehensive is that I do not use credit cards and when I purchased version 9, I borrowed a credit card from a friend and paid him the cash. I will probably use a different friend/credit card this time. Will this cause me a problem even though my email address I used for the original registration is still the same. Okay now, if I am understanding correctly I need to download the ver10 beta version and install it over my version 9.1.229 in order to upgrade first of all right? After downloading ver10 will it be able to see my version 9 registration code ## and offer me the $10 upgrade option? Then if I decide to continue to use the ver 9, I will need to reinstall that over the just installed version 10 right?
Could someone please include the correct link for the ver 10/$10 upgrade download page? So far all I see on the page that I am going to is the $39.98 option and since I am charging the upgrade on someone elses card I would like to be sure that they will just be charged for the upgrade and not the full $40, therefore avoiding any unnecessary problems on my friends credit card.
I will probably go ahead and use version 10 if there are no immediate problems but would like the “option” to continue using Version 9 for awhile longer while taking adavantage of the discount now.
One last note........ I have read all the threads in this post and still don’t understand, I was in a bad car accident a while back and suffered head injuries and sometime have a tough time sorting things out. Please don’t holler at me for not being able to grasp how this is done. Good job JRiver.
Thanx
Coscar

Zardoz2293

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Beyond...
« Reply #125 on: December 27, 2003, 01:33:06 pm »

?
Gentleman, Media Center/Jukebox is a great product.  However, with all respect, it seems like this is a rehash all over again regarding the (JRiver's) update policy.  I have ONLY ONE QUESTION: Regardless of what the "price" is (for which reading this entire thread is, at best, confusing -- I have neither the time nor the desire to search endlessly for this answer) for an upgrade from either v8 or v9 licensing, why is this not CLEARLY indicated on the purchase web page?  It would seem that this would resolve all the questions as well as the ability to upgrade, if you desired.

Currently, I suspect that I will not be upgrading at any price since I just don't have the time to play 'search-the-forum-or-web-for-my-discount-if-any' link.  Assuming that there really is 30-days to receive a discount that time would appear to have almost expired for me.  I am very disappointed that as a registered user that I have never received an e-mail indicating that I could take advantage of such a deal.

I love the product and you have one of the best feedback and build policies of any software firm I know.  However, I feel you need as an organization to do some serious review of your pricing and upgrade notification policy, better for you and us.  (Thinking back at all of the comments from the v8 to v9, I recall JRiver saying that next time things would be better communicated – apparently not.)
 ::)
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (Build 7601) [64-bit]
    Asus Sabertooth X58, i7-980X @4.1GHz, 24GB @PC3-14400

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #126 on: December 27, 2003, 01:48:22 pm »

Zardoz:

The upgrade price currently being offered is to encourage people to beta test the new version 10. It is not a general offer to everyone, or we would have sent e-mail. It is to encourage people with the time and energy to beta test to give us feedback, in return, they get a license for the finished product at a reduced rate.

There will probably still be a discounted rate for previous version users to upgrade once v10 reaches a release state, but I cannot promise anything.

j

Chasoscar

• World Citizen
« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2003, 10:13:24 am »

So far, I have been unsuccessful getting answers to my questions about the ver10 upgrade in this thread, what options do I have. Is there a phone number that I can call JRiver to get answers? ?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2003, 10:36:24 am »

>> Is there a phone number that I can call JRiver to get answers?
they answer questions in the forum, theu do not have phone support.

I thought they answered everyones question

you can load mc10 then upgrade, then re-install MC9 if you wish to get it working again with your old license.

if you upgrad, you should just grab the latest mc10 and if you do not wish to continue to upgrade betas just stick with what you got.

right now the only thing that has really changed is mc10 has less bugs that mc9.1 did

Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2003, 11:09:58 am »

MC9 has been a on going project for over a year and was released back around March of 2003.

they need to move on at some point.

they did say they would fix what they feel is major bugs

This subject is not debatable.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

pat1066

• World Citizen
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2003, 04:23:26 pm »

In spite of reading all this, I still want to buy V10. Given the circumstances below, I still don't know how to do it and how much it will cost! Can anyone, not totally fed-up with these questions, help?

1) I am using a trial (unregistered) version 9.1.316
2) I would like to keep the library that I have built up using this unregistered copy of 9.1. And the customisations, if possible.

My guess is:
a)Download 10.0.24 from the forum link and install it on top of the unregistered 9.1 then use it's Help to buy a full-price V10 licence and feed this to V10.0.24.

or:

b)Use Help on my trial V9.1 to buy a full price V9 licence then download V10.0.24, install it over my now-registered V9 and use it's Help to buy a V10 licence at half-price of upgrade-price

c)Perhaps, in either case I should uninstall 9.1316, leaving the library and the registry settings behind, before I install 10.0.24

Thanks for reading all that!

(And I managed to say it without any snide comments about my V7 licence or the "Just Released V9.1" ... oh, poo... now I've spoilt it!)
Pat.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2003, 04:45:00 pm »

Hi Pcorker,

Just backup your library, download 10, and buy it for the full price.
That's cheaper than buying 9 at full price, then an extra $10 or so for version 10.

It will probably work even if you don't back up your library, but it is beta software.

j

dmarcus48

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #132 on: December 29, 2003, 08:55:16 pm »

I am a registered user of mc9, I ordered mc10 expecting to pay $10 for the upgrade and was billed $40.  I posted this last week on the main forum and didn't get any reply.

TIA

Dave ? ? ? ?

Chasoscar

• World Citizen
« Reply #133 on: December 30, 2003, 08:52:46 am »

I feel your pain Dave~~ it is really frustrating to have to depend on a forum for support and then not get replies to your questions. I feel lucky if I can get answers to 1/3 of my questions.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #134 on: December 30, 2003, 09:52:47 am »

Hi Dave,

I didn't see your original post because it was in the beta bug thread.

I'll fix it.

j

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2004, 06:26:20 am »

I just back from a stay in the hospital. I fired up MC 10 and low and behold it was expired. I went to the upgrade page and saw $39 as the price. Yuck, I was looking forward to the $12.95 V8 upgrade price but I guess I missed the deadline  ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2004, 07:05:16 am »

Download the latest version.  Older versions had a Jan 4 timeout hard coded.  The price should still be $9.98 to upgrade from V9.

[Edit: current price for upgrading from V8 to V10 is $12.99 -- please see first message in this thread for details.]

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2004, 08:09:04 am »

Kewl

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2004, 01:11:57 pm »

$12.99 v8 to v10 upgrade worked smoothly for me.  Thanks!

M
THAT's what I'm talking about.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2004, 01:44:15 am »

YOu can always go back to a previous version..

However this build that's out today 10.0.32 is better and faster then any other version I have used... (Inc 9.1)

Could you expand on "better"?  Is it as stable and bug free as the latest version of 9.1?

Thanks for any details,

Larry

Marko

« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2004, 04:41:49 am »

YOu can always go back to a previous version..

However this build that's out today 10.0.32 is better and faster then any other version I have used... (Inc 9.1)

Could you expand on "better"?  Is it as stable and bug free as the latest version of 9.1?

Thanks for any details,

Larry
No.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2004, 09:42:43 am »

I've moved a few posts by TXGary and some of the replies to a new thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=18454&start=0

swegman

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2004, 09:00:44 pm »

I am new to MC.  I see that MC10 is available for purchase, but that it is not quite ready for prime time.  If I purchase MC10 for $40, will I be able to download MC9.1 to use in the meantime, until the official version of MC10 is released?  Also, does MC10 work properly with Cinermar's MusicLobby/DVDLobby software suite?

Thanks
Steve

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2004, 02:54:23 pm »

finally got round to paying for mc 10. paid $25ish (that will teach me to be quicker next time) but a bargain nonetheless.

when's version 11 coming?

pipsqueak

« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2004, 10:02:30 am »

ive recently suffered a fairly fatal error with my pc - as a result i lost my copy of the mc 10 beta license (which i had only bought the week before). is there any way to obtain the code that i had originally paid for?

ive managed to find MJ8 and MC9 licenses, but i guess i didnt take a hard copy of MC10 in time...

Please let me know

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2004, 10:14:47 am »

ive recently suffered a fairly fatal error with my pc - as a result i lost my copy of the mc 10 beta license (which i had only bought the week before). is there any way to obtain the code that i had originally paid for?

ive managed to find MJ8 and MC9 licenses, but i guess i didnt take a hard copy of MC10 in time...

Please let me know

Go to the restore page:

https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi

pipsqueak

« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2004, 10:19:19 am »

fantastic - barely a 2 minute job

mc (and its services) never fail to impress me.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2004, 02:06:37 pm »

when's version 11 coming?

Hey, This is a Family Forum
Fayetteville, NC, USA

buffaloquinn

« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2004, 01:33:22 pm »

I guess I'll put my two cents in (or $10 or $20 as it will probably end up being). I just bought MC9.1 yesterday after looking a MJ and deciding and rather have the whole hog, most up to date version available. Low and behold, I log on to find out V10 is almost out the door and I could have bought it for the same $40 as V9 if I hadn't been so damned anxious to bay the company the $40  thought they deserved for a fine product. Now that conscientious act is going to cost me at least another $10 to get V10 which I would have purchased already had I been made aware of it's availability.
I mention all of this because most software companies avoid this problem by offering a time buffer for buying version shifting software. Once a new version is imminent most companies don't like to have people stop buying their software until the new version comes out so they let people buy current version with a free upgrade to the new version when it is available. I don't see why JRiver is not doing this.

guven

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2004, 06:00:54 pm »

I totally agree with you

Maybe a week ago I purchased v9 whereas I wanted to purchase v10 which Ive tried for a month and it always had frequent crashes. I just couldnt decide it. (It was an earlier version) . Then  I just wanted to try a later beta and guess what the trial period was over. That's how I decided on version 9 but what I really wanted and was totally curious about was v10. After purchasing, today, Ive installed v10 on v9 and when I clicked on Buy Media Center I saw the upgrade price was $26.... Can somebody tell me what's going on! I didnt even get an upgrade discount while switching from v8 to v9.

I really believe that media center has the best features in the market and I really appreciate your efforts as a customer who has been purchasing your products since version 8. But I still do not understand what is really going on.

Thanks for your interest.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up