INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analizing Database  (Read 2950 times)

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
  • network admincomputers, dogs, tattoos
Analizing Database
« on: November 19, 2004, 02:23:36 pm »

I finally got around to upgrading my laptops to Media Center from Media Jukebox, you know you really should post a warning that you won't be able to use the program for several hours after you do an ugrade since the process of analizing and updating the database is disgracefully slow.  Painful upgrade process, not good.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Analizing Database
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 02:37:31 pm »

Is your data on a server?

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 02:39:45 pm »

yes it, running over a 108 Mpbs wireless network.

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 02:51:12 pm »

I did the update on the machine approx an hour ago and it still hasn't seen it's way through a hundred files, my library has aprox. 3000 files in it, at this rate I won't be able to use that machine for over 30 hours, not good, not good at all!

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 03:22:32 pm »

108 mbps?  ;D Funny boy! Real throughput with compressed files, like MP3, is more like 25 mbps on the so called 108 mbps systems. I've got one myself, actually, but I use rather extreme antennas because I want to reach my system from a few hundred yards. The best real life throughput (on 100 % signal strength) you'll ever be able to get on one of them is a bit more than half that, 60 mpbs. Which is why it's taking so long. I've got more than 50 000 MP3s on my server, and doing an upgrade on one of my wired network computers takes all of...oh, ten minutes, I guess. Actually doing 100 files in an hour means that there's something seriously wrong some place in your system. Perhaps the WLAN signal strength is to low, so you're really running only a few 5 mpbs?
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 03:27:48 pm »

well no, your wrong on all counts, both machines are in the same room at the moment, and since it's only "reading" the files and not coping em your argument makes no sense.  After all if I had done a clean install and just did an import as I did on my other laptop there wouldn't have been this problem as that process only took about 30 minutes.  What I've decided to do it, stop the analizing and unstall, and do a clean install and just do an import.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 03:31:17 pm »

Still valid. Reading, copying, the data still has to reach the program core. Also, I believe you mean "analyzing", analizing is probably rather messy...  ;)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 03:53:37 pm »

You might be better off to update each PC first.  The slow part is copying the files back and forth.

Or run it overnight.

In any case, it isn't MC that's slow.  It's the process of reading and writing files over the network that takes time.

Your (renewed) patience would be appreciated.

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 03:55:30 pm »

It's a networked world, it should work better.  Thanks jim

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 03:57:22 pm »

So what do you propose?  Each file has to be transferred over, analyzed, and written back.

I agree with Mastiff.  The real throughput is much lower than the nominal one.  

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 04:01:02 pm »

I've got a cold, and that brings out the mean streak in me! So I cleared out the library in a networked PC and started importing. In 10 minutes I got around 13 000 tracks. So that's 39 000 in 30 minutes. A 100 mbps network will give around 85-90 real mbps, I think. I got 13 times as many tracks in that time, so your real network speed is around 6 to 7 mbps. Yes, Media Center is hopelessly slow...  ::)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2004, 04:05:38 pm »

nyc,
You're not playing music at the same time are you?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 04:08:34 pm »

Or do you have a firewall or virus scanner checking all files arriving over the network?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 04:15:53 pm »

Or another possibility  :o is that one of the devices is set to 802.11b instead of 802.11g.

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 04:20:59 pm »

what I've done is a clean install without using the prior database and used media server, which is what got this whole thing started since I couldn't connect MD to MC's fileserver (database), shades of Office upgrades?!  LOL

Have a good weekend jim.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2004, 03:05:07 am »

Nice, nyc! Not everybody masters the good, old art of offending by omission!  ;)

Just for the record, it's nothing personal, it's just that I've been around for a while, and I'm pretty tired of people saying "MC is doing this" and "this is so wrong with MC" when there's underlaying problems with the computer, network and so on. Of course there are problems with MC, especially with the alphas and betas, but then again that's what they're there for - to identify and kill problems. But it's quite common that the people who has the biggest problems either are running obsolete or problematic hardware (like the first NForce mother board chipset ) or software (Windows Millennium comes to mind...) or has codecs, virus, malware, buggy drivers (many ATI drivers really jump out there) or other things creating problems.

And to be honest, I think my later posts where quite constructive, trying to find that underlaying problem. Or did my mean streak show too much in those as well?

Have a nice weekend in Gotham!  ;D

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2004, 03:30:29 am »

get a clue dude, I'm a MS certified tech.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2004, 03:35:27 am »

Don't care what you are. The first message in the thread was a typical "lash out" for something that MC obviously can't be faulted for - did you even read my estimate of your network speed? I've been working with computers for close to 25 years in some capacity or another, and sertified techs makes mistakes as well...only they don't like to admit it. My former mesage was an attempt to get a truce, but since you're obviously too stupid to see that, I'll just get off this thread and remove my subscription to it now. Have a nice life!  ::)

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2004, 03:46:03 am »

It wasn't my network speed at all, after reinstalling MC it worked fine, and dude I was one of the earlier beta testers on MJ, find someone else to try to show off with.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2004, 07:37:57 am »

Go to your neutral corners.
Pages: [1]   Go Up