INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading to MC18 -- Questions and Comments  (Read 55185 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Upgrading to MC18 -- Questions and Comments
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2012, 05:47:31 pm »

I upgraded from 14 to 18. It comes up and looks like it will work. But when I try to play something one of two things happens.
1. it does nothing for a while and then crashes
2. It crashes right away.
When it crashes, it won't close and the only way to get the computer going again is to reboot. Phooey! How do I get this to work or get my money back?
Try turning off auto import for now.

This topic on our wiki should help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Stability

driveandbirdie

« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2012, 09:21:57 am »

MC18 releases will be available in a month or so are available now. 

Please download and install MC18.0 from a thread near the top of this board.  It will have a subject similar to "JRiver Media Center 18.0.xxx -- Available Here".

Purchase through the Help menu in MC18.  The price is $26.98.

If you have already purchased MC17, but would like to purchase an upgrade now, please see the instructions below.

Complete Upgrade Instructions are on our Wiki

Please post any questions in this thread.
YOU'LL BE GOOD TO GO WHEN MC18 ARRIVES
When you buy MC17 now, you will receive an MC18 license that will work with both MC17 or MC18. When MC18 arrives, you can just install it, let it upgrade your MC17 library and settings, and follow the development from beginning to end.  JRiver welcomes this kind of user input.  Check our forum for more.
this is email i received when i bought MC17! but now ou are asking 26dollars for upgrade ! the code was suposed to work with the both releases. How can i upload now for free ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2012, 09:33:22 am »

Here's what it says on the upgrade instructions:

If you purchase MC17 now, OR if you purchased MC17 after July 10, 2012, the license is an MC18 license that works with both MC17 and MC18. You can just download and install MC18 when it becomes available.

You purchased before MC18 licenses were available.  $26.98 is the correct price.

Frederic Vandeputte

• Recent member
« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2012, 12:31:04 pm »

I have MC17 running now,what do i have to do to make the switch to MC18??
First uninstall MC17 then install MC18 or do i just install MC18 over MC17 without uninstalling MC17.
Can i use the library backups from MC17 to use my current library with all my albums for MC18 or do i have to add all my albums to MC18 like i would have to do with a fresh install??

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: December 20, 2012, 01:26:20 pm »

Just install MC18.  This is covered in the instructions (link in first post).

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #155 on: December 20, 2012, 02:51:27 pm »

Just to make sure I understand correctly:

I've completely lost track of my MC purchases, and I read that MC17 licenses can work with MC18 depending on when you purchased MC17.  I therefore tried my MC17 license with my MC18 install and it appeared to work -- the "trial period" box no longer pops up when I start MC18.  Does this mean that it worked as an MC18 license -- i.e. that my MC17 license is one of the ones that works with MC18 as well?  I noticed that the MC18 price is lower until Dec 31, 2012, so I want to make sure that we aren't in some sort of interim period where the MC17 license only works temporarily.

Thanks,

Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #156 on: December 20, 2012, 02:57:13 pm »

Larry, from a quick search I believe you have an MC17 license.

But you can check registration info with Help > Registration Info in the program.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #157 on: December 20, 2012, 03:40:49 pm »

Larry, from a quick search I believe you have an MC17 license.

But you can check registration info with Help > Registration Info in the program.

Okay -- it turns out it wasn't an MC18 license, so I went ahead and bought MC18 now, using my newer email address.

I'm still confused why my MC17 license is "stuck" on my old email address and didn't update with all my other licenses (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76618.0.)  If possible, I'd like to get ALL of my licenses (including MC18) associated with my new address.

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: December 20, 2012, 03:46:33 pm »

On the Restore Page, you can change your e-mail address.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2012, 03:57:50 pm »

On the Restore Page, you can change your e-mail address.

The problem was that my MC17 license was "sticking" to my old address while all my other licenses shifted over to the new one.  It turned out that this was because I had apparently used the same address but a different password for my MC17 purchase.  I re-used the email change page with a different password, and now ALL my licenses (including MC17 and 18) are associated with my new address.

I'm not sure what will happen if I ever need to change my email again, but hopefully that won't happen.

Thanks,

Larry

jwcheek

« Reply #160 on: December 20, 2012, 07:22:44 pm »

Paid full price for MC 18.  Did not get the discount.  I couldn't figure out how to get the discount so I unfortunately paid the full price.  Can I get a refund?  If the purchase and support for MC 18 worked as well as the program it would be great.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #161 on: December 20, 2012, 07:32:46 pm »

Paid full price for MC 18.  Did not get the discount.  I couldn't figure out how to get the discount so I unfortunately paid the full price.  Can I get a refund?  If the purchase and support for MC 18 worked as well as the program it would be great.

Hi John, thanks for the purchases.

You already have a v18 license purchased on 07/27/2012.

Simply enter your email address on the restore page to retrieve all the licenses registered to that address:
https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore_email.cgi?displayemail=1

I'll look into refunding your purchase from today unless you are using two licenses (please let me know).

Transilium

• Junior Woodchuck
Double charge on license purchase
« Reply #162 on: December 22, 2012, 07:31:55 am »

I just upgrade j.river mc 18 and the payment with VISA.You charge twice.But i
 buy and
recive one license.Help me.

http://s2.subirimagenes.com/imagen/previo/thump_8197038license.png

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: December 22, 2012, 08:08:48 am »

That can happen if you back through a payment form.  We can fix it, but we're closed for a week.  Please email deanna at jriver.

Transilium

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #164 on: December 22, 2012, 08:49:54 am »

Thank you.

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #165 on: December 24, 2012, 08:32:36 am »

I am upgrading to MC18 this week, in conjuction with upgrading my HTPC to Windows 8, which will require a clean install.

What is the best way to transfer my library. I'm not bothered about MC settings, just literally the library so I can avoid having to do a complete Import from scratch.

I guess;

Upgrade to MC18 first
Backup Library
Clean install Windows 8
Clean install MC18
Restore Library

?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: December 24, 2012, 08:50:38 am »

I am upgrading to MC18 this week, in conjuction with upgrading my HTPC to Windows 8, which will require a clean install.

What is the best way to transfer my library. I'm not bothered about MC settings, just literally the library so I can avoid having to do a complete Import from scratch.

I guess;

Upgrade to MC18 first
Backup Library
Clean install Windows 8
Clean install MC18
Restore Library
When you install MC18, it will find your old library and make a copy of it in a new location.  It also transfers most of your setttings.  It's automatic.

It would be a good idea to make a backup from your old copy of MC before you start.

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #167 on: December 24, 2012, 03:27:37 pm »

Thanks Jim. All done and a happy camper here.

Has anything been done in MC18 (over MC17) for the actual library files (.jmd) - as I would like to copy my customizations across rather than doing them again. Namely;

browser (theater view).jmd
browser.jmd
view tree (theater view).jmd

I have done it and all seems OK - just want confirmation something won't go awry later down the line.

gazza49

• Recent member
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2012, 04:38:58 am »

Hi,i use mc 18 on my laptop but also have it installed on my desktop,but have not used it for a while ,when trying to open the program mc18 says my registration has expired i go through the normal routine of placing my liscence key and then double clicking which tells me i have successfully installed liscence key,but when i close mc18 and then try to reopen it says my liscence has expired.Any idea what i am doing wrong.
thanks Gary

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2012, 07:15:42 am »

UPRRGUY

• Recent member
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2012, 08:16:41 pm »

Howdy! i just purchased the upgrade for MC18. I got a license for MC17. It doesn't work, needless to say. What do I do?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: December 31, 2012, 06:52:24 am »

It may work with MC17, but it is an MC18 license.  This should help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

UPRRGUY

• Recent member
« Reply #172 on: December 31, 2012, 12:26:41 pm »

This is a case of "nevermind"! If I had waited a few more minutes for my email to load I would've seen the MC18 liscense. By the way, the 17 will NOT  work. Do you have any idea why I keep getting the error message at startup about the sleep timer module? Been an MC user since 2001. Won't use anything else. Great product! You even sent me a T-shirt for being a beta tester years ago. Still wonderful with few problems!!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: December 31, 2012, 12:33:17 pm »

If you have MC18, why do you need to run MC17?

If MC17 won't run, try installing the latest build from the MC17 board.  Start a new thread on that board if you need help.

vvcepheus7

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2013, 06:29:05 pm »

Hi,

I have MC17 and I like it very much! What reason is good update to 18? is not the same? what is new?
I use MC only for video, for music I use itunes.

Thanks!

adrianmak

• Recent member
« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2013, 07:18:26 pm »

add preferred external subtitle selection

For example

a_movie.mp4
a_movie.chs.srt
a_movie.eng.srt
a_movie.cht.srt

Other media player like media player classic, kmplayer could allow user to configure for auto selecting subtitle in order like
cht, chs, eng

lendallp

Re: Upgrading to MC18 -- Questions and Comments - cue file
« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2013, 04:27:52 pm »

Have been using Media Center 13.0.171 for a long time, and finally got around to downloading MC 18.  One issue I have is that I have ripped quite a few files in MC13 using the Advanced Ripping "rip to single file using cue" function.  Reason for this is that many classical pieces are divided into tracks in small chunks, and when these are "shuffled" to playback the effect is jarring, so it has been better to rip some pieces to single file.  Now I see that this function does not appear in MC18.  I have discovered that (for example) flac files that I "ripped to one file" using MC13 show up in Windows Explorer (as do the accompanying cue files), and play back fine in (e.g.) VLC Media Player, but MC18 does not recognize these files at all:  I can neither import them nor even see them when I go to "open media file." 
Any thoughts on this?  I feel that if I go ahead and start using MC18 instead of MC13 I am going to "lose" a lot of my music files.  (Fortunately I backed up my libraries in MC13 before trying anything in MC18!).
Thanks.

hifidr

« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2013, 07:35:43 pm »

I just upgraded to MC 18 from 17. Sonically, this is a huge improvement over an already great sounding product. I am impressed with whatever it is you did, Matt and Jim, to make such a large advancement. Thank-you.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2013, 06:00:50 pm »

kitandgirl

• Recent member
« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2013, 07:37:10 pm »

This is my first post, so I hope it makes sense.

I used the free trial and decided to purchase and upgrade from MC13. Paid with PayPal, but  MC18 didn't immediatly register and activate when PayPal confirmed the payment, as I was told it would. I used the registration code they emailed to me to get an install key which came as an .mjr file attachment that I cannot download. I tried several times shutting off various security functions. All that did was reduce how many install keys I have left.

:(So now PayPal has my money and I've got a useless program that still keeps asking me to buy it.  Any suggestions out there?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2013, 08:01:53 pm »

The good news is that your purchase was successful.  If you're having trouble restoring your license, try using IE as your browser.

This may also help:

Thanks for your purchase.

Nemea23

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2013, 08:00:45 pm »

Having a problem. The purchase page requires you enter the original password. That info is long gone from my consciousness. How do I get or re-set this password? Help! ?

Nemea23

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2013, 11:19:41 pm »

Trying to upgrade to 18, but I can't remember my digity dangity password. Is there some method of password recovery? I have looked & looked, but found nothing... ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: March 08, 2013, 06:45:03 am »

Are you trying to change your e-mail address?  You don't need a password otherwise.  Let me know what you want to do.  I'm jimh at jriver.

Phil A

• Recent member
« Reply #184 on: March 08, 2013, 01:10:46 pm »

I just got MC18 and a music server (running Windows Eight).  I have lots of DSD (dff) files and a Meitner MA-1.  I've read and tried everything to import a library but each time it seems to import only the non-SACD hi-rez files (that's all I have for now - two hard drives attached to the music server).  It seems to import all the files but the DSD ones don't appear in the libaray, except for the few DSD files on the C drive (e.g. Blue Coast Records).  I can play individual tracks by going into file on the upper left and selecting a media file to play and I am getting DSD.  I've tried clearing out the library, re-importing (obviously it is importing hi-rez non-DSD files on the same drives) but can't get them to show in the library.  I've also downloaded MC18 to the PC (I have Windows Seven) and while I can't play DSD but can do 176.4kHz from DSD files, I have the files showing in my library, cover art and all.  I have tried to change the music server to the same settings but still I can't see those albums.  Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

moophone

• Recent member
« Reply #185 on: March 13, 2013, 06:51:13 pm »

Please add the API changes necessary for remotes such as JRemote to do playlist editing and creation (e.g. send to new playlist, etc) This has been a highly requested feature and would appreciate if it was considered.

I just got MC18 and a music server (running Windows Eight).  I have lots of DSD (dff) files and a Meitner MA-1.  I've read and tried everything to import a library but each time it seems to import only the non-SACD hi-rez files (that's all I have for now - two hard drives attached to the music server).  It seems to import all the files but the DSD ones don't appear in the libaray, except for the few DSD files on the C drive (e.g. Blue Coast Records).  I can play individual tracks by going into file on the upper left and selecting a media file to play and I am getting DSD.  I've tried clearing out the library, re-importing (obviously it is importing hi-rez non-DSD files on the same drives) but can't get them to show in the library.  I've also downloaded MC18 to the PC (I have Windows Seven) and while I can't play DSD but can do 176.4kHz from DSD files, I have the files showing in my library, cover art and all.  I have tried to change the music server to the same settings but still I can't see those albums.  Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: March 13, 2013, 07:02:31 pm »

Please add the API changes necessary for remotes such as JRemote to do playlist editing and creation (e.g. send to new playlist, etc) This has been a highly requested feature and would appreciate if it was considered.
Editing won't be done soon, but the interface to create a playlist will be available in MC in the next week or so.

mp3deej

• Recent member
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2013, 06:01:19 am »

I just upgraded to 18 from 17 and there are 2 things I didn't like,

1. The cost, 29.95 to upgrade from one version is a bit much. I get an error message when I start mc18 after upgrading. Something about the wrong account and then media server and mc18 in the start up? I used the same email and account I've always used. I've also been using Media Center since Version 12.

2.  The inability to properly recognize my Nano Generation 7. It will let me play, edit (as in change the tag info) and delete the songs, but not sync or add new music. It's also not listed as a recognized device.  I know APPLE broke it, but I was unaware of your refusal to support any new versions of the IPOD until after I purchased the upgrade.  I HATE ITUNES, GARBAGE SOFTWARE.

Since I just upgraded last night, I haven't looked at all the changes. I hope it is worth the price.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2013, 06:36:58 am »

It's $26.98. 

The account is the Windows account.
e
If you have a previous version installed, make sure it is set not to run Media Server on Windows startup.

monticciolo

• Recent member
« Reply #189 on: March 29, 2013, 07:14:45 pm »

Help! I've wasted three (3) MC restores by accident this afternoon: March 28, 2013 I updated to the latest version of 18 on my  Windows 7 laptop per the "stable" email sent yesterday. JR MC18 opens then crashes as soon as I click on something. I uninstalled, rsinstalled,  and I can't even back the library up before MC18 crashes. The earlier version of MC18 worked just fine on my laptop. Is the someone who can help me? This update worked just fine on my Windows 8 machine this afternoon.
Thanks,
Paul

mitē

« Reply #190 on: March 30, 2013, 09:07:11 am »

Hello,

I am French and for testing I downloaded the free version of JRiver but when I read my audio files and the CDs since my PC Windows XP the reading is jerky and trembling as a reading of a bad MP3. In addition to that the sound is accompanied with " tick trck tick ....." very unpleasant Especially with a listening in the headphones.

I think of a regulation to be polished up where a conflict between my software of reading (WMP, Itunes, VLC).

If you have an idea I am accepting because level quality of sound there is no photo in front of other software but those one have no problem for reading music?

Sorry for my English  :-\ .... but Thanks to Google  :P

Mitē  ;)

Smith13

• Recent member
« Reply #191 on: April 06, 2013, 11:16:24 am »

Hi J.R.

I just upgraded from MC17 to MC18. Ones again a step up in sound quality. From MC16 to MC17 it was a huge step, from MC17 to MC18 its more in the details, but never the less significant.

More transparent and agile sound. Cleaner base, organic midrange and very detailed highs with absolutely no glare. Sweet!

I'm running Fidelizer 3,0 before starting MC18. My new transporter, Audiophillio2 with battery support, feeds my Orpheus One DAC. Speakers Aether Audio Revelation 3,0.  Very revealing system.

Thanks.  ;D

driguy

« Reply #192 on: May 25, 2013, 05:48:32 pm »

I keep trying to reset my code for my new computer but get a "code not valid" after requesting a new code. According to the wiki I can only add a new computer in the first two weeks of use so I assume this is the problem. Does this mean that I need to purchase the program all over again for the new computer?

Thanks,
Tony

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: May 26, 2013, 07:16:42 am »

The version of the license must match the software.  Please read this:

blunderman

• Recent member
« Reply #194 on: June 26, 2013, 09:01:23 pm »

Thanks again for producing great software at competitive prices, and providing a low-cost high-end audio playback solution. 

I'm currently running MC17, and am contemplating the move to 18 for even higher quality, especially if it could include the following upgrades to Gizmo:

1.  On screen (not hard button) control of volume.  Would be great if a volume "preset" or two was available to quickly jump or fade to the appropriate volume, without 20+ clicks on the device button.

2. Better (more ergonomic and straightforward) editing/adding to playlists from Gizmo. Adding just a song, instead of an entire album to playing now would be a start.

3.  Love/Ban control of Last.fm would make all my dreams come true.

Any plans on implementing these improvements in MC18?

Valephar

• Recent member
« Reply #195 on: June 27, 2013, 04:15:06 am »

:D Heehee. I've purchased MC18. I am so happy :D.

Have renamed most of my anime and series in order to import. ;D

Great software guys. Thanks.

gfa

« Reply #196 on: July 02, 2013, 11:34:44 am »

I purchased mediajukebox 8 over 10 years ago and have used it since; is there an upgrade price for MC-18 or do I need to buy this at the full price? I also have Windows Media Center with Windows 8 but have not reinstalled this since reinstalling my system. Can MC18 be installed without interfering with the Windows Media Center program?

gfajriver.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #197 on: July 02, 2013, 11:46:49 am »

I purchased mediajukebox 8 over 10 years ago and have used it since; is there an upgrade price for MC-18 or do I need to buy this at the full price? I also have Windows Media Center with Windows 8 but have not reinstalled this since reinstalling my system. Can MC18 be installed without interfering with the Windows Media Center program?

gfajriver.

Install the latest MC18.  Then restore your old MJ8 license code (starts with J, ends with 9).  Then purchase from inside the program and you will get the upgrade price.

Thanks for your business.

gfa

« Reply #198 on: July 05, 2013, 08:24:17 am »

Install the latest MC18.  Then restore your old MJ8 license code (starts with J, ends with 9).  Then purchase from inside the program and you will get the upgrade price.

Thanks for your business.

I tried this. With the license is restored in MJ8 the option to purchase no longer functions. The update command does not find a server. Is this possible blocked by Windows 8, or does the version of MJ8 have the wrong address?

Attempting to purchase from the trial version of MJ18 does not get to to the upgrade price.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: July 05, 2013, 11:04:56 am »

Make sure you have 18.0.206 installed.  It's on the Download Page.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up