INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Get well, Matt.  (Read 155839 times)

adydula

• Recent member
Re: Get well, Matt.
« Reply #450 on: March 25, 2014, 03:33:38 pm »

Hello,

I just found about this today, I am so sorry this has happened and want to express my most heartfelt thoughts and prayers for Matts recovery and his family.

I recently retired and volunteer in a famous cancer clinic in North Carolina and see many people in various stages of cancer. Much sadness and happiness at the same time.

Life is precious and you never know what curveballs will come our way.

Live each day like its your last and don't waste a minute!!!

All the best!!

Alex

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #451 on: March 25, 2014, 06:59:11 pm »

I guess matt likes chocolate and peanuts.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #452 on: March 25, 2014, 08:11:55 pm »

I guess matt likes chocolate and peanuts.
I stopped at about 3:00PM today.  He was napping.  When I went into his room, he was waking up.  I offered him a Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  He took the bait and it was soon gone.

His parents put him in the car around 4:00, and I stayed to watch, hoping that I might be able to do it soon.  Matt now does about 3/4 of the work.

He made a lap around the first floor today, using the walker.  He had to stop and sit in his wheel chair a couple of times.  He wanted to stop, but his physical therapist said, "not yet, Matt", and kept him going.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #453 on: March 25, 2014, 08:57:57 pm »

Can't wait to see pictures of Matt at the traditional JRiver brat fest on a warm Friday in April.  Maybe Reese's Peanut Butter for desert.  How can he say no?

Thanks Jim for being in Matt's corner these last 3 months.

FastKayak / Larry

jason02500

« Reply #454 on: March 25, 2014, 11:01:37 pm »

I hope he will recover.

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #455 on: March 27, 2014, 01:41:29 pm »

Thanks, Jim, for the regular updates. So glad to hear that Matt is making progress on the road to recovery, even if it's one step at a time. It sure reminds one to fully appreciate every day that we get to drive these bodies around down here!
 William

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #456 on: March 27, 2014, 05:11:53 pm »

I stopped at Courage Center for a few minutes.  Roger and Cynthia were there.  They drove up from Waseca this morning and are driving back tonight.  It's snowing here so it may be a long trip home.  I think it's usually an hour and a half or so.

Matt had woken up from a nap and was on his way to physical therapy.  There 10 or 12 other people there, all in wheelchairs, but they looked like a football team ready for practice.  Matt took a place near the front, where it looked like he could give a piano recital for the others.  I left as it was starting.

Matt is steadily more alert, making little comments about what's going on around him.  He has a sense of humor and he was quicker today than I've seen him.  When I slipped him three small pieces of chocolate, he had one open before his mother could get the other two out of his hand and stow them "for later".

On the drive this morning, his parents drove him by JRiver.  His dad got lost so Matt gave him directions.  I said "honk next time".

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #457 on: March 27, 2014, 06:41:58 pm »

On the drive this morning, his parents drove him by JRiver.  His dad got lost so Matt gave him directions.  I said "honk next time".

I'm not surprised.  There was some confusion when I came to visit.

All of the news lately has been immensely encouraging.  Go, Matt! GO!!!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #458 on: March 27, 2014, 06:50:53 pm »

I'm not surprised.  There was some confusion when I came to visit.
It doesn't help that we're on First Street North at the corner of Second Avenue North, and that there are both streets and avenues that are South, NE and NW.  It's North or South of Hennepin, the main bridge across the Mississippi, and East or West of the river.

And... neither the river nor the streets close to it actually run N,S,E, or W.

In the beginning, I wanted to name JRiver as Just West, since it was Just West of the Mississippi (by about 100 meters), but it was taken.

MrHaugen

« Reply #459 on: March 28, 2014, 12:41:20 pm »

I'm glad to hear of the good progress. We're all cheering for Matt.

You sure are a good fiend and boss, Jim. Following up and Visiting Matt as much as you do.
Keep up the good work. All of you!
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #460 on: March 29, 2014, 01:13:28 am »

I'm glad to hear of the good progress. We're all cheering for Matt.

You sure are a good fiend and boss, Jim. Following up and Visiting Matt as much as you do.
Keep up the good work. All of you!

;D ;D ;D

+1

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #461 on: March 29, 2014, 03:56:33 am »

All the encouraging news lately makes me happy. I'm glad to see Matt is doing better every day.

Can't wait to see his first post  :P.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #462 on: March 29, 2014, 06:05:35 am »

All the encouraging news lately makes me happy. I'm glad to see Matt is doing better every day.

Can't wait to see his first post  :P.

This one?  ;D

Check out <a href="http://girder.nl" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://girder.nl[/url]<!--auto-->
JRiver CEO Elect

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #463 on: March 30, 2014, 05:51:02 pm »

In the beginning, I wanted to name JRiver as Just West, since it was Just West of the Mississippi (by about 100 meters), but it was taken.

That's funny, and Interesting.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #464 on: March 30, 2014, 06:19:47 pm »

Apparently Matt is working out:
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/mattashland/journal/view/id/5335ebc3a689b44d52beabd6
and then getting pizza delivered by some of the JRiver guys ..   :o

What? No report on the preferred pizza topping here?

Great progress.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #465 on: March 30, 2014, 08:34:10 pm »

Baked Potato Pizza
Idaholy Moly!
We smother our pizza crust in buttery, garlic baby red mashed potatoes and top it with broccoli, fresh-diced tomatoes, cheddar cheese and chopped bacon. Served with a side of sour cream.

pcstockton

« Reply #466 on: March 30, 2014, 11:24:11 pm »

We smother our pizza crust in buttery, garlic baby red mashed potatoes and top it with broccoli, fresh-diced tomatoes, cheddar cheese and chopped bacon. Served with a side of sour cream.

$$$$$$$$$$.

I love the "midwest".
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

jgreen

« Reply #467 on: March 31, 2014, 10:57:00 am »

A lot of great news, and a lot of tough work ahead.  You go, Matt!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #468 on: March 31, 2014, 07:07:06 pm »

A lot happened today.

I stopped at Courage Center around 3:00PM.  I found Matt at the opposite end of a long hall, coming along toward me using a walker.  He had Mike, his physical therapist, at his side.  Brooke was wheeling his chair behind him in case he needed to sit suddenly.  When he saw me, he stood a little straighter and continued on toward me, walking pretty well.  He's had trouble with his right foot dragging a little and sometimes getting tangled with his left, but today, he was making steady, deliberate progress, without any of that.  It isn't easy, but he's doing it well.

I walked along with them while Matt made a complete circuit of a large ground floor.

Back at the home base, his PT let him rest in his chair a couple minutes, then wheeled him to the foot of a stairway.  He asked Matt to get up, gave him a little assistance in doing it, then walked with him (no walker or chair) to the door and they began to climb the stairs.  Brooke had taken his chair up the elevator, so it was just Matt, with his PT guarding him and helping a little with the legs, and me following behind with the walker.  Matt made it to the top, mostly on his own.

At the top of the stair, Mike asked me to help, and the two of us took Matt's arms on either side and walked to the exercise room, where Matt spent the next 30 minutes doing whatever Mike asked.  Some of it is very difficult for Matt to do, but he does it.

Then Matt took another walk with Mike on one side and Brooke on the other.

More pictures:
http://pix01.com/N61%407g5I

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #469 on: March 31, 2014, 08:45:35 pm »

Thanks for the update, Jim. This is great news indeed. Very heartwarming to read of Matt's progress from you and Brooke.

pcstockton

« Reply #470 on: April 01, 2014, 01:14:08 am »

$$$$$$$$$$$$$  Love.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #471 on: April 01, 2014, 08:33:07 am »

Baked Potato Pizza
Idaholy Moly!

That sounds awesome, but it isn't pizza.  ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #472 on: April 01, 2014, 08:43:29 am »

That sounds awesome, but it isn't pizza.  ;D

Maybe not but if it gets Matt mobile then it has hit the spot. Great pic. Hopefully next time we'll get a view from the other side, where I'd expect Matt would show a smile of well deserved satisfaction with his achievement.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #473 on: April 01, 2014, 02:33:40 pm »

I don't know whether Matt is up for this kind of humor:

JRiver to purchase JPlay
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=133465

sinoaudio

• Recent member
« Reply #474 on: April 01, 2014, 08:32:44 pm »

well done!

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #475 on: April 02, 2014, 11:07:20 am »

.... Great pic. Hopefully next time we'll get a view from the other side...
More pictures:
http://pix01.com/N61%407g5I

KEEP IT GOING MATT!
JRiver Media Center... If you don't have it, I don't want to hear it!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #476 on: April 02, 2014, 06:41:35 pm »

Today Matt walked 700 feet in the halls, using a walker.  His walk is getting a little smoother, but it's still hard for him.

His therapist had him sit on a bench, then stand without using his hands.  He could almost do it.  He needed a little help.

Afterward, he and his parents and his kids sat around a table to have a snack.  I told him that next week, if he wanted, I would stop to get him and take him to work and he could stay for a little bit, then I'd take him back to Courage Center.  He said "I think I could work a little now."  I said, "Let's just get you there and back a few times.  Then we can see about work."

Brooke took him home last night and it went well, so I'll give it a try soon.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
« Reply #477 on: April 02, 2014, 10:38:14 pm »

That's all very encouraging.  Does Matt seem interested in programming still?  I take it that he has retained all his knowledge of it? 

Checking his progress has become a daily part of my life.  Brooke is a great writer and it has become very addicting as she has let all of us into their very private life. 

I'm SO happy to read of progress. 
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #478 on: April 03, 2014, 06:26:38 pm »

Tom Gibbs and David Robinson and the rest of the crew at Positive Feedback Online are all sending their well wishes to you, Matt.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue72/jriver.htm

Thanks, PFO.

matshif

« Reply #479 on: April 04, 2014, 05:43:48 pm »

Fight on Matt.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #480 on: April 05, 2014, 07:02:03 pm »

It really sounds good jim.

Thanks...
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #481 on: April 06, 2014, 06:51:30 pm »

I saw Matt today, just as a group of relatives was leaving and as he and his immediate family were sitting down to have lunch.  Jimmy John's today.  Ben had sprouts on his sandwich and it wasn't right.  He wasn't having any of it.

Elise said that Matt walked yesterday with just a cane.  Brooke had posted the day before that Matt had walked without a walker, with just Mike, his therapist, with a hand on his belt, ready to catch him.

He spent most of the day at home with his family yesterday, making it from the car to the house with the walker.  Brooke said she'd felt a little tense trying to make sure everything went OK.  But it did.

I told Matt that we had a deal with Pono and about the NUC.  He understood perfectly.  He asked what we needed to do in order to offer the NUC for sale.

He is still a little hesitant to speak, but I think it's only that he's gotten used to having others speaking for him.  Given a little time, I think he'll say a lot more.

I think he will be spending most of his time at home and at work in a month.  He's moving fast now.  His therapists at Courage Center deserve a lot of the credit for that.  They push him, he complains a little, and they push him more.

Go Matt!

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #482 on: April 07, 2014, 03:10:33 am »

They push him, he complains a little, and they push him more.

Wouldn't he be used to that from work?    ;D

Seriously though, extremely positive news that's fantastic to read. I'm looking forward to reading Matt's 1st post. I hope he doesn't get overwhelmed because he's sure to get a lot of enthusiastic replies when he does. All in good time though. Sounds like he's got plenty more to do yet.

Keep the good news coming. Thanks.

jgreen

« Reply #483 on: April 08, 2014, 01:34:07 pm »

Dude, I'm wainting for your "next" post.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #484 on: April 08, 2014, 06:30:20 pm »

I hope it will be soon.

When I stopped today, his parents were there.  Matt was just finishing occupational therapy, and they were planning to go to Orange Julius.  I offered to drive and so his parents met me in the parking lot.  I asked if I could learn from Roger how to transfer him, and that's what we did.  I didn't have to do much except hold on and balance him a little.  Matt can stand and sit on his own now.  He got in and out of the car without much trouble.

We didn't go to Orange Julius though since Brooke showed up just as we were pulling out.  She said that Matt's high school friend, Trent, and Trent's wife, were about to be there.  So we drove a few blocks just because we were in the car and ready to go.  I said, "Matt, tell me when to turn around."  He never did.

He's tracking what we're doing and told me "nice job" a couple of times when I told him about Pono.

Tomorrow, I'm going to see if I can get him from Courage Center to work and have lunch there.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #485 on: April 08, 2014, 06:32:54 pm »

Getting back to J River even for a "working visit" should be exciting for Matt. Great news!

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #486 on: April 08, 2014, 08:20:20 pm »

Tomorrow, I'm going to see if I can get him from Courage Center to work and have lunch there.

He's really able to start working?  He wants to do this?   :o
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #487 on: April 09, 2014, 07:49:27 am »

He's really able to start working?  He wants to do this?   :o
He's not quite ready to work, but he's eager to return to a more normal life.  Visiting work is one of the first steps. 

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #488 on: April 09, 2014, 01:03:50 pm »

He's not quite ready to work, but he's eager to return to a more normal life.  Visiting work is one of the first steps. 
Understood.  I'm so happy that he's improving and look forward to seeing a "hello" post from him. 

My podcast:

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #489 on: April 11, 2014, 07:14:56 am »

Matt had a couple of brats with us this week:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88630.msg607905#msg607905

I'm going to post updates in that thread instead of this one now, since Matt has entered a new phase of his recovery.

Thank you for all the great comfort you've been to him.  He's really enjoyed your messages.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up