INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id Questions?  (Read 367644 times)

mrhyfy

• Recent member
Re: JRiver Id Questions?
« Reply #350 on: December 09, 2014, 09:34:59 am »

Is it possible to install a larger drive in the ID?IF so can you recommend one please?
I understand it will void any warranty.
Thanks

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #351 on: December 14, 2014, 12:34:22 pm »

I was thinking that MC might read it from the file tags when the file is pushed to it but it's possible that isn't the case.
I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do anyway. Will need to check into it a bit.

Bob, I've been thinking about this a bit, and while it makes a lot of sense to have the Id do the volume levelling, since you know its compute power, while the origin server is an unknown, it would only make sense if Id was also doing the remaining tasks associated with the DLNA server, such as bitrate and sample rate conversion, perhaps the rest too, unless you could somehow decouple volume levelling from the need to upsample. I realise this is something that may be a bit more complex.

Can you think of any workarounds, in in the meantime? Or is is likely that MC on the server may soon acquire an option to force it to start preparing the next-played file earlier than the 2 seconds before the current track ends?

Gapless is hard to give up, as I'm sure you know.

mcw

• Recent member
« Reply #352 on: December 14, 2014, 05:51:52 pm »

I have an ID working happily...accessing library from PC.
Any way to get multiple ID's all playing same thing same time, under Gizmo control?

oon_the_kid

• Recent member
« Reply #353 on: December 15, 2014, 01:32:59 am »

I bought a JRiver Id a while back, probably around September. I got it up and running got it hook up to an external Schiit USB DAC and it works on Gizmo, so everything was fine. It's a simple set up, I load the files in the shared drive and everything is played through the USB DAC. I had no issues with it. Other than not booting up without a HDMI cable But I understand I need to download a version 34 Bios. Can get that fixed later on.

1) I decided to try a Wyred4sound USB to Spdif converter because I wanted to use my Metrum Spdif DAC.

https://wyred4sound.com/sites/default/files/%C2%B5LINK%20-%20%C2%B5DAC-HD%20MANUAL%20V1.1_0.pdf

However when I tried this on, I couldn't get it to work. From the manual, it indicates that for Linux, it should require no driver. Fiddling around a bit, I realised I could get it to work if I played 24bit 96kHz Flac but not 16bit 44.1KhZ Wav. Files. I figured maybe it wants doesn't like to do 44.1kHz because if I am not mistaken there is a mention somewhere that JRiver was going to output the highest resolution that the DAC would accept. So in this case it probably was trying to output 24 bit 44.1kHz and the wyred4 sound converter probably called it non-kosher and did not like it. So I upsampled the output to 88.2kHz (set it through "output format") and it played fine... for one song. After that it reverts to

48kHz for (<44.1kHz)
44.1kHz no change.
48kHz no change
88.2kHz ->48kHz
96kHz -> 48kHz

And it would not play the next song. Changing the settings again allows it to play one song but reverts to this again once the song ended.

I gave up on it and decided to write to you on this and hooked my old Schiit DAC. Same thing happened to it. Same behaviour, need to change the output setting and would only play one song.Using "77" on the text menu did not fix the problem.

I have a fairly old build and I would like to upgrade to a newer build but not sure how to do so. I tried '12" on the text menu but nothing seems to happen.  I know it is connected to the LAN because I can use Gizmo so it should theoretically be able to connect to the outside world.

Is there a way I can install the latest version in by downloading separately and putting it on a USB drive or something like that?

Thanks.

Oon

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #354 on: December 15, 2014, 05:59:30 am »

In DSP Studio / Output Settings, you could try resampling everything.

oon_the_kid

• Recent member
« Reply #355 on: December 15, 2014, 06:49:54 am »

I tried but no matter what I tried it will go back to the setting I mentioned earlier. It would not stay in the setting I put it in.

oon_the_kid

• Recent member
« Reply #356 on: December 15, 2014, 07:24:29 am »

I should also mention that it is using mc18 or something like that. I am hoping that upgrading to mc 20 will fix it..but I don't know how to install it..

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #357 on: December 15, 2014, 09:55:13 am »

Bob, I've been thinking about this a bit, and while it makes a lot of sense to have the Id do the volume levelling, since you know its compute power, while the origin server is an unknown, it would only make sense if Id was also doing the remaining tasks associated with the DLNA server, such as bitrate and sample rate conversion, perhaps the rest too, unless you could somehow decouple volume levelling from the need to upsample. I realise this is something that may be a bit more complex.

Can you think of any workarounds, in in the meantime? Or is is likely that MC on the server may soon acquire an option to force it to start preparing the next-played file earlier than the 2 seconds before the current track ends?

Gapless is hard to give up, as I'm sure you know.
If the Id needs to convert sample and bitrates it already does (assuming you've set up DSP studio on it to match your hardware capabilities).
Volume leveling is kind of a special case. I think the parameter should be passed in the DIDL.

You can try changing your buffering on the Id: Options->Audio->PreBuffering. Increasing it should make the Id request the next file sooner.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #358 on: December 15, 2014, 10:05:54 am »

I bought a JRiver Id a while back, probably around September. I got it up and running got it hook up to an external Schiit USB DAC and it works on Gizmo, so everything was fine. It's a simple set up, I load the files in the shared drive and everything is played through the USB DAC. I had no issues with it. Other than not booting up without a HDMI cable But I understand I need to download a version 34 Bios. Can get that fixed later on.

1) I decided to try a Wyred4sound USB to Spdif converter because I wanted to use my Metrum Spdif DAC.

https://wyred4sound.com/sites/default/files/%C2%B5LINK%20-%20%C2%B5DAC-HD%20MANUAL%20V1.1_0.pdf

However when I tried this on, I couldn't get it to work. From the manual, it indicates that for Linux, it should require no driver. Fiddling around a bit, I realised I could get it to work if I played 24bit 96kHz Flac but not 16bit 44.1KhZ Wav. Files. I figured maybe it wants doesn't like to do 44.1kHz because if I am not mistaken there is a mention somewhere that JRiver was going to output the highest resolution that the DAC would accept. So in this case it probably was trying to output 24 bit 44.1kHz and the wyred4 sound converter probably called it non-kosher and did not like it. So I upsampled the output to 88.2kHz (set it through "output format") and it played fine... for one song. After that it reverts to

48kHz for (<44.1kHz)
44.1kHz no change.
48kHz no change
88.2kHz ->48kHz
96kHz -> 48kHz

And it would not play the next song. Changing the settings again allows it to play one song but reverts to this again once the song ended.

I gave up on it and decided to write to you on this and hooked my old Schiit DAC. Same thing happened to it. Same behaviour, need to change the output setting and would only play one song.Using "77" on the text menu did not fix the problem.

I have a fairly old build and I would like to upgrade to a newer build but not sure how to do so. I tried '12" on the text menu but nothing seems to happen.  I know it is connected to the LAN because I can use Gizmo so it should theoretically be able to connect to the outside world.

Is there a way I can install the latest version in by downloading separately and putting it on a USB drive or something like that?

Thanks.

Oon
A few suggestions:
1) On the Id, you should ALWAYS choose a hardware device for your DAC. It should be labeled as front:[dac identifier] in the device list.
2) MC will automatically override the DSP studio settings if it can't play something unless you turn off Options->Audio->Advanced->Auto configure output settings on playback error
3) Menu item 12 can get messed up if you previously interrupted an update. You can get a repair image here:  http://files.jriver.com/Id/idrepair.iso
It's a 1 gig download and will fit on a 1 gig usb stick. Use rufus in windows or the equivalent in linux or mac to write the image to a usb stick. Boot that in Id with F10 to select it as the boot then follow the repair option that reinstalls the firmware.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #359 on: December 15, 2014, 10:08:34 am »

I have an ID working happily...accessing library from PC.
Any way to get multiple ID's all playing same thing same time, under Gizmo control?
You can link the zones on the PC that's pushing to the Id however the current DLNA spec isn't meant to synchronize playback and it's not deterministic enough to do so without special synchronization commands.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #360 on: December 15, 2014, 10:28:45 am »

If the Id needs to convert sample and bitrates it already does (assuming you've set up DSP studio on it to match your hardware capabilities).
Volume leveling is kind of a special case. I think the parameter should be passed in the DIDL.

You can try changing your buffering on the Id: Options->Audio->PreBuffering. Increasing it should make the Id request the next file sooner.

Bob, I'll be extending the prebuffering option in a couple of hours and I'll report back. Let me just check, please, if this is meant by you in the scenario where Id is only the renderer—my music is on a different MC server (Mac). Also, do I understand correctly that to make this change I would need to temporarily change it into the GUI mode?

You mention setting up its DSP studio options. I have not tried that: the options I set were set on the server in the DLNA server configuration, as per your earlier suggestion when I was asking about Volume Levelling, when you have explained that for it to work I needed to use "specified format" option. I would have no other need for this other than to enable volume levelling. Is there a way to configure this entirely on the Id, rather than on the server, a I have at the moment, perhaps? Many thanks, Bob.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #361 on: December 15, 2014, 10:40:15 am »

Bob, I'll be extending the prebuffering option in a couple of hours and I'll report back. Let me just check, please, if this is meant by you in the scenario where Id is only the renderer—my music is on a different MC server (Mac). Also, do I understand correctly that to make this change I would need to temporarily change it into the GUI mode?
You are correct, you need to go into GUI mode to change it.
You mention setting up its DSP studio options. I have not tried that: the options I set were set on the server in the DLNA server configuration, as per your earlier suggestion when I was asking about Volume Leveling, when you have explained that for it to work I needed to use "specified format" option. I would have no other need for this other than to enable volume leveling. Is there a way to configure this entirely on the Id, rather than on the server, a I have at the moment, perhaps? Many thanks, Bob.
What I said was more of a logic experiment.
Since you are using "specified format" you are already changing the file to what the Id can play by default.
If we were to do this by sending the original file and some replay gain instructions, then you might need to configure the DSP studio on the Id depending on the capabilities of your output device.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #362 on: December 15, 2014, 06:05:00 pm »

You are correct, you need to go into GUI mode to change it.What I said was more of a logic experiment.
Since you are using "specified format" you are already changing the file to what the Id can play by default.
If we were to do this by sending the original file and some replay gain instructions, then you might need to configure the DSP studio on the Id depending on the capabilities of your output device.

Many thanks, Bob, I can happily report that changing the prebuffering option to 10 s, in GUI on Id, has solved the problem, well, almost, because I am back to gapless for most tracks, except when a very complex or long one is about to start. I will extend the prebuffering a bit more, and I think it should fix it completely.

While at it, I noticed that I can turn on Volume Levelling on the Id in its Audio/DSP settings. I've done that, and I have turned it off in DLNA on the server. I'll soon report back if it worked as expected when I have a chance to play a few playlists with varying volume tracks. Incidentally, I can also see there is an option for Adaptive Volume (Peak Level Normalise) and I wondered if it could work, considering that Id does not see the entire playlist, only the current and the set-next tracks at a time, or am I missing something?

Many thanks for letting me know about the prebuffering option on the Id.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #363 on: December 15, 2014, 06:22:00 pm »

Ah, it seems that Volume Levelling turned on the Id in its Audio/DSP options does not seem to work, even though the files have the tags in them, calculated and inserted by MC on the server. Is this supposed to work, or do I need to wait for another version? Bear in mind, Id is only a renderer, files are coming from the server.

Many thanks, Bob.

oon_the_kid

• Recent member
« Reply #364 on: December 15, 2014, 07:12:25 pm »

A few suggestions:
1) On the Id, you should ALWAYS choose a hardware device for your DAC. It should be labeled as front:[dac identifier] in the device list.
2) MC will automatically override the DSP studio settings if it can't play something unless you turn off Options->Audio->Advanced->Auto configure output settings on playback error
3) Menu item 12 can get messed up if you previously interrupted an update. You can get a repair image here:  http://files.jriver.com/Id/idrepair.iso
It's a 1 gig download and will fit on a 1 gig usb stick. Use rufus in windows or the equivalent in linux or mac to write the image to a usb stick. Boot that in Id with F10 to select it as the boot then follow the repair option the reinstalls the firmware.

Hi Bob,

Looks like it worked. I think item 2) was probably the critical one. It probably tried to play the first time and when it didn't, it just changed the output settings. And it goes downhill after that.  Everything is working now (Had to reboot first though). I am using a 24 bit 192kHz USB to spdif converter. So I take it the output will probably be 24bit 44.1kHz ? Which would be good since I am using the internal volume control.

Oon

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #365 on: December 15, 2014, 10:02:14 pm »

Hi Bob,

Looks like it worked. I think item 2) was probably the critical one. It probably tried to play the first time and when it didn't, it just changed the output settings. And it goes downhill after that.  Everything is working now (Had to reboot first though). I am using a 24 bit 192kHz USB to spdif converter. So I take it the output will probably be 24bit 44.1kHz ? Which would be good since I am using the internal volume control.

Oon
The output will be whatever the source is unless you modify the DSP studio settings. You can see what it is by hovering over the dsp studio icon while in GUI mode.
The reason you might want to tweak those dsp studio settings is to handle the particular characteristics of your DAC. For example if it can't play under 44.1k you might change that setting to make it upsample lower bitrate material. Same thing on the upper end if you have material over 192k.

oon_the_kid

• Recent member
« Reply #366 on: December 16, 2014, 12:39:48 am »

The output will be whatever the source is unless you modify the DSP studio settings. You can see what it is by hovering over the dsp studio icon while in GUI mode.
The reason you might want to tweak those dsp studio settings is to handle the particular characteristics of your DAC. For example if it can't play under 44.1k you might change that setting to make it upsample lower bitrate material. Same thing on the upper end if you have material over 192k.

Hi Bob, If the file being played is a 16 bit 44.1KHz, it should output as a 24 bit 44.1KHz (if the DAC is capable to 24 Bit), based on some write up that I have come across in your website.

Anyway I also have emotiva dac that shows the sample rate and bits, I will check it out later..

Oon

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #367 on: December 16, 2014, 08:24:03 am »

Hi Bob, If the file being played is a 16 bit 44.1KHz, it should output as a 24 bit 44.1KHz (if the DAC is capable to 24 Bit), based on some write up that I have come across in your website.

Anyway I also have emotiva dac that shows the sample rate and bits, I will check it out later..

Oon

I use a 24/192 DAC. Id GUI shows 24 bits Output when playing 16/44.1 (Input)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: December 16, 2014, 10:43:09 am »

The output format in bits will be whatever the highest rate is your device supports. This is the "Auto" setting in the Options->Audio->Audio Device->Device Settings.
You can set it to a specific format but playback will fail if your device doesn't support that format.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #369 on: December 18, 2014, 10:00:34 am »

Bob, sorry to pester you about this, but could you confirm if enabling Volume Levelling in DSP on Id, while it acts as a renderer only, is supposed to work? (It does not)

Also, I wonder if you are interested in a couple of error messages I am encountering. From time to time, when I boot, the BIOS boot process waits until someone attaches a keyboard and presses enter with the text: "The following are warnings that were generated during this boot. These can be viewed in setup on the Event Log Page. WARNING : Processor Thermal Trip  Press the Enter key to continue." Needless to say, for a device that is not supposed to have a keyboard attached, it would be good to auto-dismiss or disable those if possible. To the best of my knowledge, this happens relatively often but there are no signs of anything overheating, fans etc.

Finally, each time I reboot from GUI mode (for example using update option or when switching back to the text mode) once the text-based display takes over the screen it displays some 30 similar errors in quick succession (Setting default value: Failed to read: session.screen0.xxxx, then an rpcbind error), then it goes blank, fan spins at normal speed. At that point half of the time it will lock up, leaving only the option of force power-down, to bring life back to it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #370 on: December 18, 2014, 10:53:17 am »

Bob, sorry to pester you about this, but could you confirm if enabling Volume Levelling in DSP on Id, while it acts as a renderer only, is supposed to work? (It does not)
The latest change to MC enabled the passing of volume leveling parameters from MC as a server to MC as a renderer. These are JRiver specific extensions, there are no such parameters in the UPnP or DLNA specs. For this to work, you need 2 things:
1) The next build of MC on the Id which I have NOT uploaded yet.
2) A new enough build on the server PC to provide the parameters. This would be >= 20.0.49. There is a Windows build available for that but not a Mac one yet.
Also, I wonder if you are interested in a couple of error messages I am encountering. From time to time, when I boot, the BIOS boot process waits until someone attaches a keyboard and presses enter with the text: "The following are warnings that were generated during this boot. These can be viewed in setup on the Event Log Page. WARNING : Processor Thermal Trip  Press the Enter key to continue." Needless to say, for a device that is not supposed to have a keyboard attached, it would be good to auto-dismiss or disable those if possible. To the best of my knowledge, this happens relatively often but there are no signs of anything overheating, fans etc.
Check the bios to make sure the settings under Cooling are correct. For both memory and mainboard they should be
in that order.
Finally, each time I reboot from GUI mode (for example using update option or when switching back to the text mode) once the text-based display takes over the screen it displays some 30 similar errors in quick succession (Setting default value: Failed to read: session.screen0.xxxx, then an rpcbind error), then it goes blank, fan spins at normal speed. At that point half of the time it will lock up, leaving only the option of force power-down, to bring life back to it.
I assume you are on the right bios firmware (0034) version?
It is normal to get some errors on boot, for one thing it's trying to turn on the output volume of up to 6 DACs whether or not they are connected. The rpcbind error can be ignored.
The lockup is not normal. It might have something to do with the HDMI on your particular monitor.
You might want to try to power off the Id when it gets to the bios stage of the reboot.
Remove power from it and wait 30 seconds before plugging it back in and restarting. This seems to help with weird HDMI situations.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #371 on: December 18, 2014, 03:37:41 pm »

The latest change to MC enabled the passing of volume leveling parameters from MC as a server to MC as a renderer. These are JRiver specific extensions, there are no such parameters in the UPnP or DLNA specs. For this to work, you need 2 things:
1) The next build of MC on the Id which I have NOT uploaded yet.
2) A new enough build on the server PC to provide the parameters. This would be >= 20.0.49. There is a Windows build available for that but not a Mac one yet.

Bob, this is fabulous development, many thanks for doing it so quickly. Needless to say, I will be beta-testing it for you the moment it is available on the Mac and Id. Could you, please, explain if this needs to be enabled as VL in DSP on Id, or like it was done before, as a DSP property of the DLNA server on the MC on the (Mac) server?

Check the bios to make sure the settings under Cooling are correct. For both memory and mainboard they should be
in that order.I assume you are on the right bios firmware (0034) version?

I checked the BIOS (nice, visual!) and those temperatures are exactly as per your spec above. I can also see the over-temp log entry made 6 times. And yes, I am on the 0034 bios version.

The lockup is not normal. It might have something to do with the HDMI on your particular monitor.
You might want to try to power off the Id when it gets to the bios stage of the reboot.
Remove power from it and wait 30 seconds before plugging it back in and restarting. This seems to help with weird HDMI situations.

Hmm... It happens with two different screens, one is a Dell desktop screen which I use when updating or checking things, the other is my PJ via AVR. Power force down, and boot without HDMI attached works.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #372 on: December 18, 2014, 04:23:18 pm »

Bob, this is fabulous development, many thanks for doing it so quickly. Needless to say, I will be beta-testing it for you the moment it is available on the Mac and Id. Could you, please, explain if this needs to be enabled as VL in DSP on Id, or like it was done before, as a DSP property of the DLNA server on the MC on the (Mac) server?
You'll return to "Original Format" on the DLNA server and enable VL on the Id.
I checked the BIOS (nice, visual!) and those temperatures are exactly as per your spec above. I can also see the over-temp log entry made 6 times. And yes, I am on the 0034 bios version.
Sounds like it's really overheating then. Are the cooling intake and exhaust clear?
Perhaps it's getting into a spin lock on shutdown, can't see why though...
Hmm... It happens with two different screens, one is a Dell desktop screen which I use when updating or checking things, the other is my PJ via AVR. Power force down, and boot without HDMI attached works.
That may be connected to the heat issue.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #373 on: December 18, 2014, 06:13:03 pm »

Sounds like it's really overheating then. Are the cooling intake and exhaust clear?
Perhaps it's getting into a spin lock on shutdown, can't see why though...That may be connected to the heat issue.

It is unobstructed and has good airflow around. I've never heard its fans spin up too much except once at boot time. This issue happens after I start it up following having to force the power-down. Unless the message relates to an occurrence that took place way earlier, while I was not around. In any case, the device has never been anything but barely warm, running much cooler than a Sonos Connect.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #374 on: December 19, 2014, 02:25:57 am »

My Id also locks up each time I reboot--the litany of errors you described are also displayed.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #375 on: December 19, 2014, 11:18:40 am »

Could the people having this issue check to see if their fan is running?
It's pretty hard to hear unless you put your ear right up to the cooling holes on the side.

If it is, perhaps one of you could reset their bios settings then reenter the fan settings I talked about earlier under the cooling tab
for both motherboard and memory.
Then under the power tab
turn off WOL,
on power loss = off
PCIE ASPM off

and see if that makes any difference.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #376 on: December 19, 2014, 11:57:30 am »

Could the people having this issue check to see if their fan is running?
It's pretty hard to hear unless you put your ear right up to the cooling holes on the side.

If it is, perhaps one of you could reset their bios settings then reenter the fan settings I talked about earlier under the cooling tab
for both motherboard and memory.
Then under the power tab
turn off WOL,
on power loss = off
PCIE ASPM off

and see if that makes any difference.

Id no longer locks up. PCIE ASPM off was the only setting in BIOS I changed. The other 2 settings under the power tab were already off. Fan is running as always. Temp settings were as specified.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #377 on: December 19, 2014, 02:23:46 pm »

Id no longer locks up. PCIE ASPM off was the only setting in BIOS I changed. The other 2 settings under the power tab were already off. Fan is running as always. Temp settings were as specified.
Thanks for the report!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #378 on: December 19, 2014, 02:28:28 pm »

A new build of MC is out with the changes for volume leveling on the Id when passing original format files from a MC server.
You just need to turn on Volume Leveling in the Id's DSP studio. Requires at least build 20.0.49 on the MC server machine as well.
Also, the MC GUI has been improved.

Use your update function to get it.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #379 on: December 20, 2014, 07:01:15 pm »

Many thanks, Bob, I'll update tomorrow and report back as soon as MC on the Mac gets updated. May I ask if the "on power loss" bios setting would enable the device to auto start after power loss? If so, do you have a reason for not wanting it on?

gocubs42

• Recent member
« Reply #380 on: December 21, 2014, 11:53:06 am »

I use JRiver Mac on my desktop. My system is located in another room, and I’m networked to a Sonore Orbiter via DLNA. I’m having a hard time understanding what an JRiver ID can do for me. So here are my questions:

With an Id networked and connected to my DAC via USB, will I have access to TiDAL, Spotify from the ID

I have playlist containing radio stations on JRiver IMAC. Will I access these through the ID to play on my system?

With the Id connected, will I have DSP, room correction, volume leveling capability for my music on a external hard drive connected to the IMAC?

A GUI is mentioned with the Id. Can I access the GUI from the IMAC or only by using a screen and keyboard connected to the Id.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #381 on: December 21, 2014, 12:15:25 pm »

The Id is another computer, running Media Center, so most things that could be done on another computer can be done there.

But its primary use is as a DLNA Renderer.  This is a device you play to.  It plays to any connected DAC.

Services like Tidal probably won't work.

shang_2000

• Recent member
« Reply #382 on: December 22, 2014, 02:24:51 am »

How to set ID reads nas music files?

shang_2000

• Recent member
« Reply #383 on: December 22, 2014, 02:27:04 am »

i am in china,what  setting chinese show?I set to Simplified Chinese in the ID‘s jriver, the display is garbled

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #384 on: December 22, 2014, 10:29:01 am »

i am in china,what  setting chinese show?I set to Simplified Chinese in the ID‘s jriver, the display is garbled
You need to choose the Font under
Options->Tree and Views->Select Font ...
Choose unifont.

sdrucker

« Reply #385 on: December 22, 2014, 08:10:23 pm »

Hi,
I picked up a JRiver Id a few months ago, and I'm in the processing of digitizing my audio and video content to play through MC - I'm going to start tackling video over the holidays.

Quick question: with video support and MC 20, what's the best way to play ripped BD content if I'm doing bitstream to a pre/pro with DSU (Dolby Surround Upmixing) and Dolby Atmos support?

Am I better off using a PC-based version of this, and something like AnyDVD HD and Virtual Clone Drive to mount ISO files, or can I do .MKV format with the Id and bitstream after ripping with AnyDVD and maybe a product like CloneDVD?  Ideally I would want to pick the main title, an HD audio track and whatever commentary/deleted scenes I'd like. For DVDs I'd do the same, except that for my foreign film collection (maybe a quarter of my DVDs are Region 2 stuff that I've played for years on my Oppos), I'd pick subtitles in English.

I'm assuming that the current version of MC 20 on the Id won't work with ISO files since there's no plug-in you can use to do virtual mounting, but if I'm wrong I'd be happy :).

Sorry for the newbie question, but can someone give me some advice before I get too far into this?

Thanks!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #386 on: December 23, 2014, 02:11:20 am »

ISOs or even DVD/Blu-ray folder structures (BDMV or VIDEO_TS) are not support for video playback on our Linux version yet (and such not on the Id). For best results with this use-case, I would recommend ripping to MKV personally.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #387 on: December 23, 2014, 08:01:40 am »

sdrucker,
Welcome to the forum.  I'm going to split this to a new thread later today since it is likely to be mainly non-Id discussion.

shang_2000

• Recent member
« Reply #388 on: December 23, 2014, 06:21:55 pm »

You need to choose the Font under
Options->Tree and Views->Select Font ...
Choose unifont.

Or not, or garbled

shang_2000

• Recent member
« Reply #389 on: December 23, 2014, 06:40:34 pm »

what be External USB drives automount / unmount?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #390 on: December 23, 2014, 07:21:49 pm »

what be External USB drives automount / unmount?
No function for that now. Coming in the next update.

shang_2000

• Recent member
« Reply #391 on: December 23, 2014, 10:22:06 pm »

No function for that now. Coming in the next update.

How to set Id import music files of my nas?

shang_2000

• Recent member
« Reply #392 on: December 23, 2014, 10:26:42 pm »

I use hmdi connection between nad m51 and Id, but my Id is not recognized immediately by the nad m51, need to start playing 4-5 seconds after playing.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #393 on: December 24, 2014, 07:26:39 am »

How to set Id import music files of my nas?
If your NAS runs a DLNA Server, you don't need to import.  You could play to the Id by using a DLNA Controller.

The RomDoodle!

• Recent member
« Reply #394 on: December 27, 2014, 07:31:41 am »

Background:

I currently have three(3) physical servers running MC20.  The library is located on a NAS device.  My library exceeds 300K Audio, 10K Video, and 600K Photos.  Roughly 16TB dedicated to the NAS device.

Q.  How can I benefit from using the id in my situation?  Although I do use DLNA from time to time and occasionally use my library across the Internet.

I spend most of my time adding to my library and managing my library.  Maybe 10% actually listening or watching.

demoleon

• Recent member
« Reply #395 on: December 27, 2014, 10:56:27 am »

Have just been playing with my new ID and cannot seem to get it to boot from the text or GUI menu.  The only way I can get it to boot is to long press the power button to turn it off and then turn it back on.  It will then boot to the menu option I selected.  It seems to stop at different places during boot.  Sometimes on the Intel NUC screen, sometimes it gets to the scrolling text screen and then stops (at different places.)  It has also stopped at the big JRiver logo (only once).  I have checked my bios version (34) and have checked the power menu in the bios and turned PCIE ASPM off as indicated earlier in this thread but to no avail.  Fan is running and there are no temperature issues according to the bios.  I can get it to play via USB to my DAC but had no luck getting multi-channel to play via hdmi (and hdmi would cut off the start of my music when playing in stereo.  I set the "play silence" parameter up to 6 seconds but it would only wait 6 seconds before cutting off the start of my track.)  I just wanted to check to see if I am doing anything wrong before I send the unit back. 

Thanks,
John

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #396 on: December 28, 2014, 03:16:29 pm »

Have just been playing with my new ID and cannot seem to get it to boot from the text or GUI menu.  The only way I can get it to boot is to long press the power button to turn it off and then turn it back on.  It will then boot to the menu option I selected.

Thanks,
John
My Id has returned to behaving like this. It's an idiosyncrasy I can live with.

sdrucker

« Reply #397 on: December 28, 2014, 04:30:11 pm »

ISOs or even DVD/Blu-ray folder structures (BDMV or VIDEO_TS) are not support for video playback on our Linux version yet (and such not on the Id). For best results with this use-case, I would recommend ripping to MKV personally.

Thanks, Hendrik! After some research, I'm going to go the .mkv route to do ID playback for titles where I only want the movie and a single audio track, and keep my Windows 7 laptop in the mix and possibly do .ISO for content from it, where I want a full set of extras without too much fuss. At least until I feel my way on video...

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #398 on: December 29, 2014, 02:48:15 pm »

A new build of MC is out with the changes for volume leveling on the Id when passing original format files from a MC server.
You just need to turn on Volume Leveling in the Id's DSP studio. Requires at least build 20.0.49 on the MC server machine as well.
Also, the MC GUI has been improved.

Use your update function to get it.

Bob, I have been using the most recent build of Id and .52 on the Mac with VL turned on on the Id, and turned off on the Mac server, as per your suggestions. Together with setting prebuffering (on Id in GUI mode) to 20 s, I am now back in gapless-volume-levelled nirvana. 10 s prebuffering wasn't enough, complex multi-channel tracks would occasionally stutter, while 20 works. I am mentioning this, as 20 s is the max value allowed, and I wonder if, perhaps, someone else might need a longer prebuffer. Interestingly, it does not take 20 s to start playing the first track, that one is usually very fast since I got VL to be done on the Id, perhaps taking 2-3 s to start.

Overall, I am very impressed by, and grateful, to you and your colleagues for turning out this feature so quickly. It has greatly enhanced this holiday season for me. :) I suppose I wonder if it would be easy to discover by others, but I'm happy.

Now it feels like I've ironed out all the major issues I had with Id, bar the problem of it locking up on boot with HDMI plugged in, but I can live with it for now. Maybe it goes away in the future.

What is the best way to report issues with JRemote, Bob? I posted a thread on that forum but I had no reply or even an acknowledgement of any kind, which somewhat demotivates one from reporting further issues, and I've found a couple of them already. The ones that got fixed in the past were the ones I reported on this thread, but the new ones are probably JRemote-specific, even though I only use it with Id. Thanks.

TrevorW

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #399 on: December 30, 2014, 05:30:52 pm »

Hi Jim et al,

Hope you all had/are having a wonderous festive break.

I just wanted post my most recent position regarding the ID which I have basically functioning with JRemote on ipad/iphone. It runs as a DLNA Renderer for a Synology DS411 DSM5.1 DLNA server. The ID plays to a Benchmark USB DAC in 2ch Stereo. I had some issues initialy but seam to be able to play good quality FLAC files now. I have some general questions and some specific ones:

1. When will the GUI be stable?? I can't use GUI mode sensibly as I never know when it is going to freeze. Additionally I can't see the edge of the screen, so the menu bar and anything along the bottom of the screen or sides just doesn't display. I wouldn't need GUI really but I need to have hands on the renderer for diagnostic purposes. The monitor is an Samsung LE32R74BD TV running with HDMI (of course)

2. I have about 6700 FLAC tracks stored in Artist/Album/Track format. I used dbPoweramp with scripts for ripping and use MP3Tag with some further scripts to standardise my Tags. When dbpoweramp has not embedded a cd front cover I use Album Art Downloader to get an image. This Cover image is always stored at the same level as the Tracks and is called folder.jpg it is always embeded in the FLAC. The problem I'm having is getting these images to appear reliably in the jremote view of the library. Browsing the Synology NAS as a share I can see the folder.jpg file and also view the embedded image using file properties. I have finished a very big clean up exercise and now know that all FLACS are populated correctly. So why do I have some albums (about 5%) not seeing an album icon (I just get a single crochet note instead)Also on many (not all) of the crocheted Albums the first track has no icon (double crochet instead) The issue doesn't appear to be resolution as I have some  very large and small images displaying OK.

3. When making changes to resolve issues such as in 2 above why is it necessary to reboot the ID before any changes occur. I reindex the Synology NAS each time and also ask JRemote to conduct a background import but only a reboot seams to force changes through - it just seams as though there are some very basic things that still need to be addressed.

4. POSITIVE note !!! I'm very please with the sound quality and even considering doing some speaker and amp evaluations (currently have a couple of Bowers and Wilkins CS1's and a REL bass system with ROTEL 1055 integrated amplifier (I also have 5.1 for DVD and Blue ray) The ID is going to be great but a push on stability is really my request here - after an answer to Q2 above please.

Keep up the good work please, thanks.

Regards
Trevor McCarthy-White

Regards
Trevor McCarthy-White
Synology DS411 NAS server/JR ID24.0.17/MC26.0.107-5/Benchmark DAC1 USB/Rotel RC1590/RB1582Mk2/Bowers and Wilkins CM10S2/CM1S2/Ruark Dialogue/REL R205
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 26   Go Up