INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Viewing PDF files and other assets in JRemote  (Read 44501 times)

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
Viewing PDF files and other assets in JRemote
« on: October 06, 2014, 08:57:05 am »

Downloadable music often includes liner notes and other album images, and you may also want to add your own content. JRemote 3.08 added a new feature that make it easier to view these additional files associated with a selected track.

Adding asset files

All asset files must be located in the same folder or in a sub folder.

For example, you want to include a PDF file to one of your albums.

If you have the album in this location:

C:\Music\Tool\Lateralus

You can put the PDF in the same folder, or you can create a folder structure like this if you wanted:

C:\Music\Tool\Lateralus\Assets\PDF

The important thing is that they share the same containing directory, in this case “C:\Music\Tool\Lateralus”.

Configure MC to include images and data files

All PDF and image files must be imported to JRiver before that appear in JRemote.

This is important to remember, because data and image files may not be imported by default.

To make sure that these files are imported go to “Tools” > “Import…”.

I assume that you are using “Auto import” folders, so select “Configure Auto-Import” and “Next”.

Now, select your configured folder (or add a new), and click “Edit…”.

You should now see a view similar to the one attached. Under “Import these file types:” make sure that “Image” and “Data” is selected. Click “OK” and return to main interface.

Please note that only the windows version of MC support Image files at the moment. OSX and Linux users will not see the "Image" checkbox.

MC will now add and index the new files. 

Viewing assets in JRemote

Assets will appear in two ways. The first is in the metadata view. If additional files are found a new tab will appear called “Assets”.

Secondly, an icon will appear on the “Now playing” screen if the current playing track has assets.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Viewing PDF files and other assets in JRemote
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 01:28:08 pm »

Bravo! very nice work once again appreciated by the silent majority ... a little pat on the 'ol back more than warranted

Camver

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 06:04:23 am »

Excellent; just the feature I wanted, and clear instructions on how to implement. :)
Many thanks.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 03:28:27 pm »

I got it working and now I have access to over 90 sets of liner notes. Awesome feature.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

rilke1999

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 10:28:39 am »

Hmmm, doesn´t seem to work for me. I am usin JRemote 3.08 and JRiver 20.25.
PDF and Jpeg´s are in the same subdir as the audio file and are properly imported to JRiver.
However JRemote doesn´t show the asset tab :-( Any idea?

rilke1999

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 02:26:24 am »

Solved by ommiting brackets [] in the path names.

AdrianC

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 05:10:05 am »

Hello everybody,
I am also using the latest versions of jremote and MediaCenter (20.*), but I am not able to find any "Data" or "Images" file type options to be included, it's only "Audio", "Video" , "Playback" and "Others" ... am I missing something ?
many thanks,
Adrian

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 09:02:58 am »

I continue to expand my booklet scans. I doubt I ever get them all done but I wish I would have had the forethought to do these scans when originally ripping my library. Really, really enjoying this feature.

arin

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 05:26:30 pm »

Simply gorgeous!!!
A really big big big thank you!

Camver

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 06:20:08 pm »

Anybody found a quick, easy, and not too expensive way of scanning CD booklet pages into a PDF.

Best I've come up with is scanning into MS Publisher and outputting as a PDF. How is everyone else doing it?

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 10:11:36 pm »

Anybody found a quick, easy, and not too expensive way of scanning CD booklet pages into a PDF.

Best I've come up with is scanning into MS Publisher and outputting as a PDF. How is everyone else doing it?

I don't particularly think my way is quick or easy but it is cheap as in free.  I'm simply using the scan function on my HP printer. Once all the pages I scan I use the EdIt function in HP Scan to crop the pages (I haven't figured out yet how to set a customizable scan page size) then simply File Save and one of the options is PDF.

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 11:15:05 pm »

Still just getting a blank white screen when I try to access PDFs.
They are stored in the same directory as the tracks, as 00 - Album Name.pdf

corehun

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 12:08:22 pm »

I m on 3.09 but unfortunately cant see booklets like I used to. There ise No paperclip :( I can only reach the booklets in assets link...

Arindelle

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 01:40:21 pm »

I m on 3.09 but unfortunately cant see booklets like I used to. There ise No paperclip :( I can only reach the booklets in assets link...

don't understand, I could only see these through the Asset tab??

@623 I don't think its JRemote, its the app that opens the PDF thats messing up - I use Documents by Readle and that works no problem, so maybe download a different pdf app/reader?

corehun

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 03:11:06 pm »

don't understand, I could only see these through the Asset tab??

@623 I don't think its JRemote, its the app that opens the PDF thats messing up - I use Documents by Readle and that works no problem, so maybe download a different pdf app/reader?
There was a paperclip under the cover art (now playing screen) on 3.08, gone on 3.09...

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 06:08:20 am »

Sorry, paperclip will be back in next release

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 02:03:53 pm »

Can't get this feature to work reliably. If I have a scanned multipage booklet saved as a single pdf file then I can't seem to access it. I have however, found something that works perfectly reliably ... A Linn Sondek LP12.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 06:48:31 pm »

The paper lip has disappeared and trying to view under Assets I only get a blank white screen

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 07:38:39 pm »

Is anyone else on 3.09 who is able to use this feature now at all?  It worked perfectly in 3.08 for me but now with the "paper clip" gone and selecting Assets I get a blank white screen on those PDF files I previously could access and also on the four I just recently added.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 06:52:20 am »

Paperclip will be back in next release.

Regarding white screen, not sure what`s the cause for that since no changes were made for the actual display of the PDF files.
I have seen it a couple of times on my iphone when i had a weak wifi connection.

What iDevice, iOS version and MC version are you using?

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 07:11:43 am »

Paperclip will be back in next release.

Regarding white screen, not sure what`s the cause for that since no changes were made for the actual display of the PDF files.
I have seen it a couple of times on my iphone when i had a weak wifi connection.

What iDevice, iOS version and MC version are you using?

I am viewing on an iPad Air with the latest version of iOS and my library resides on an external HDD connected to a Mac Mini using the latest version of Yosemite

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 10:59:36 pm »

Okay, let me correct myself. When using 3.08 when selecting the PDF file it immediately loaded. In 3.09 I immediately get the blank white screen, BUT waiting for a few seconds the file does load. I just reacted to the white screen as a problem and would close it right away. On another forum with this as part of the discussion it was mentioned that it was loading slower than 3.08 and that is the issue not that it won't open only that it opens more slowly.

Sorry for my confusion.

rotho

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 03:11:38 am »

Thanks for this great feature !

One question : are the documents (PDF, jpg...) visualized on the iPad via the Assets Tab actually transferred and stored permanently on the iDevice, or are they destroyed after beeing closed ?

I ask this because the data capacity of my iPad is limited, and I don't want lots of temporary documents to remain in memory...

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 03:17:38 am »

The PDF is not stored on the device, it`s only loaded in memory while viewing.

Bernhard

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 12:10:19 am »

Solved by ommiting brackets [] in the path names.

Is this still an issue in 3.10?
I have around 2600 albums, some of them are affected...

Gumby

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2014, 10:56:13 am »

I don't particularly think my way is quick or easy but it is cheap as in free.  I'm simply using the scan function on my HP printer. Once all the pages I scan I use the EdIt function in HP Scan to crop the pages (I haven't figured out yet how to set a customizable scan page size) then simply File Save and one of the options is PDF.

The software we have with our HP (HP Printer Assistant?) allows you to set the size of the scan image.  I set it a couple hundredths less than the actual size to avoid problems at the edges (4.68 X 4.68).  This avoids all the time consuming cropping.  You may have to rotate the images though, depending on how you put them on the scanner.  I found laying in them in the long direction works best, so I have to rotate them.

I have created several shortcuts in the software with memorized settings like this.  I have found that 300dpi with the "quality" setting set about 80% of maximum produces good results.  I scan the cover as a jpg and the body as a color pdf.  I then use Adopbe Acrobat to combine the files and create a pdf of the booklet.  This way I can use the folder.jpg file separately for album art.

For all but the smallest booklets, I take the staples out so I can get the pages to lay flat on the scanner.  I bought a stapler with a long throat ($29) so I can staple them back together.  With a little practice it is hard to tell they have been taken apart. 

When you are don, if you run "optimization" in the tools command of Adobe Acrobat it reduces the file a bit further.  I get files ranging in size from about 2MB to 10MB depending on the size of the album booklet and the number of color graphics in them.

I can booklets now when I buy a new CD/SACD or when I listen to album that a purchased previously and have not scanned.  Not too much work this way.

rilke1999

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2014, 03:03:51 am »

Is this still an issue in 3.10?
I have around 2600 albums, some of them are affected...

Was resolved in 3.09. I use the 3.10 now and everything is perfect.
The only thing which bothers me with assets can't be solved by jremote. MC should be adopted to ease the workflow working with assets.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 07:08:46 pm »

There's an issue with the PDF asset viewer in JRemote .10. It works well when invoked from the regular "browsing" views, however, it does not seem to work when called from the "playing now" (black background) view on my iPad. The button is there, but nothing happens after clicking the Adobe PDF icon.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 12:01:43 pm »

Rafal, are you using iOS7?
There are some bugs that only apply to that version, but will be fixed in the next release.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 12:06:47 pm »

Rafal, are you using iOS7?
There are some bugs that only apply to that version, but will be fixed in the next release.

I'm on iOS 8. It applies only to an iPad, not iPhone, and only when using the "paperclip" icon shown beneath album art in the "playing now" view—not on the "Assets" tab.

I also have made notes of a couple of other issues relating to the playhead being out of sync with what is playing. What is the best way for me to report them? It will take a while to put together an issue description report, and I would like to film the behaviour so you can see what is happening. I am reluctant to spend time doing it until I know that someone is reading those reports. Since I do not know how JRiver is organised, I am asking how to report issues, so as not to waste anyone's time, mine and yours included. Thanks.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2015, 05:59:55 pm »

I would appreciate if you took the time to make a report of the issues that you are aware of.
You may post them here.

Some issues may be network related and difficult  to reproduce, but I will do my best to fix what I can for the next release.

Thank you.

Peregrino

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2015, 07:08:37 am »

Downloadable music often includes liner notes and other album images, and you may also want to add your own content. JRemote 3.08 added a new feature that make it easier to view these additional files associated with a selected track

Any plans to make this facility available on the Mac or Linux versions?

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2015, 10:36:19 am »

Hi, I think you'd need to post in the relevant mac/linux forums.
Linux currently is not able to import pdf files into the library so therefore these files cannot be made available to jremote.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

Peregrino

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2015, 12:47:44 pm »

Hi, I think you'd need to post in the relevant mac/linux forums.
Linux currently is not able to import pdf files into the library so therefore these files cannot be made available to JRemote.

Thanks, but not sure what you mean by the relevant Mac/Linux forums. Sorry but I'm a newcomer to this and find the jriver support threads difficult to navigate, but this thread was specifically about viewing PDFs and other assets in JRemote, which is what I'm enquiring about. I don't really want to buy another pc to use Windows.

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2015, 03:56:11 pm »

This is the forum for remotes software, including jremote. JRemote will already display pdfs if they are served by the library.
If you want to ask when will mac version jriver import pdf files into its library, then ask here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=39.0
If you want to ask when will linux version jriver import pdf files into its library, then ask here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=35.0
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

Odisyus

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2015, 08:07:09 pm »

Hi.  Is this implemented in the Android version?  I'm using MC 20.0.87 and JRemote 20.0.8.  I've imported a number of .pdf files into MC, confirmed via the "Recently Imported" list in MC.  However, I don't see them anywhere in JRemote (no Playing Now icon or Metadata view).

Here's a sample file path for one of the .pdf's: C:\Users\Public\Music\HDtracks\Albert Collins\Cold Snap\Cold Snap.pdf

Thanks.

CAPS v3 Topanga / JRiver MC27 | Synology 218+ NAS | SOtM sms-200 neo | iFi iUSB Power | Wyred4Sound DAC 2v2SE | Odyssey Khartago Extreme | Magnepan 1.7s

Odisyus

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2015, 09:36:10 am »

Hi.  Is this implemented in the Android version?  I'm using MC 20.0.87 and JRemote 20.0.8.  I've imported a number of .pdf files into MC, confirmed via the "Recently Imported" list in MC.  However, I don't see them anywhere in JRemote (no Playing Now icon or Metadata view).

Here's a sample file path for one of the .pdf's: C:\Users\Public\Music\HDtracks\Albert Collins\Cold Snap\Cold Snap.pdf

Given the absence of any response(s): Is this the wrong thread for this question?  Should I post it somewhere else?

Thanks
CAPS v3 Topanga / JRiver MC27 | Synology 218+ NAS | SOtM sms-200 neo | iFi iUSB Power | Wyred4Sound DAC 2v2SE | Odyssey Khartago Extreme | Magnepan 1.7s

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2015, 10:20:24 am »

Is this implemented in the Android version? 
No.  No immediate plans.

Odisyus

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2015, 10:33:59 am »

No.  No immediate plans.

Ok. Thanks. 

Hopefully it will receive some attention.  FWIW, it's the one thing missing, for me, from MC / Gizmo, JRemote, etc.

Regards

Arindelle

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2015, 10:53:10 am »

Thanks.

I'm using an ipad/iphone, so for what its worth .... for me to get the pdf's to work I had to do two things ...1) the pdfs had to be imported into the library so  Data had to be on in options, and less obvious, 2) the pdf's had to be in the folder associated with the albums .... the path you indicated would never show files for me So try moving iit to the albumartist/album folder unless all your music is on your C: drive which I'm guessing it's not (?)

Arindelle

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2015, 10:54:07 am »

oops missed Jim's comment ... if pdf aren't supported in the Android version that's something else again

jcalleja

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2015, 12:57:30 pm »

I am quite puzzled, I was using the functionality of getting the assets available in JRemote 3.10 connected to MC 20 to my satisfaction  and suddenly paperclip and assets option in info view disappeared .
I do not remember changing anything and pdf files and jpg files belonging to the albums are still in the hard drive in same folder as the audio files  of the album.
I checked autoimport to confirm this type of files are imported and did another autoimport, no new files imported.No assets in JRemote.
Is there any configuration I am missing?

Thank you in advance.

corehun

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2015, 05:06:24 pm »

I am quite puzzled, I was using the functionality of getting the assets available in JRemote 3.10 connected to MC 20 to my satisfaction  and suddenly paperclip and assets option in info view disappeared .
I do not remember changing anything and pdf files and jpg files belonging to the albums are still in the hard drive in same folder as the audio files  of the album.
I checked autoimport to confirm this type of files are imported and did another autoimport, no new files imported.No assets in JRemote.
Is there any configuration I am missing?

Thank you in advance.
Exact same thing here with mc19 and 3.10 on ios8

corehun

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2015, 12:11:58 pm »

Works fine now, but I didn't do anything. Got confused?

Arindelle

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2015, 03:34:49 am »

oops missed Jim's comment ... if pdf aren't supported in the Android version that's something else again
just for a friend on android .. is this confirmed ? no pdf's on the android version? thx

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2015, 05:18:06 am »

JRemote for Android does not yet support assets.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2015, 02:42:41 pm »

There's an issue with the PDF asset viewer in JRemote .10. It works well when invoked from the regular "browsing" views, however, it does not seem to work when called from the "playing now" (black background) view on my iPad. The button is there, but nothing happens after clicking the Adobe PDF icon.

Lespaul, I can add to this report. This issue only affected JRemote when connecting to a server that was playing files by pushing them to Id, acting as renderer. I have, since, switched to playing directly on the Id, with the locally attached USB drive, and the paper clip icon, and the PDF icons, works for me in both the browsing and playing now views. I suspect you may want to retest this issue when using DLNA.

Bernhard

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2015, 01:39:25 pm »

Bug report:

It does not work, when there is a & in the path :(
JRemote 3.22b325

Thanks a lot :)

Wybe

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2015, 04:48:19 am »

In Mac version 21.0.8 and 21.0.19 the option Data (including pdf) under Import settings has disappeared, so no viewing pdf files, because they're not imported anymore?

blgentry

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2015, 07:58:55 am »

It sounds like maybe your Data feature got turned off somehow.  To turn it on:

Tools > Options > General > Features > Data > (checked)

Then restart MC.  That should bring it back.

Brian.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up