INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clearing Library Removes Customizations  (Read 2186 times)

thm655321

• Junior Woodchuck
Clearing Library Removes Customizations
« on: November 03, 2014, 06:18:28 am »

A real simple one.  When you clear the library, in the "Confirm Clear Library" box that comes up there is a checkbox for "Revert database fields back to defaults" and by default it is checked.  Please reverse that so that by default it is not checked.

Reason is I use JRiver for tagging and am often clearing the library and have to uncheck that box every single time or I lose my settings such as my custom tagging fields.  When I forget to uncheck it I feel like punching my monitor as I have to redo it all.

Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Clearing Library Removes Customizations
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 07:12:07 am »

I split out your post here because I think we should discuss it.

First of all, I really don't think you should be clearing your Library as part of your regular workflow.  This doesn't really explain anything:

Reason is I use JRiver for tagging and am often clearing the library

Can you explain why you are clearing your Library?  That is really designed to be a "sledgehammer fix" of last-resort.  If you are doing it regularly, you are not using MC as it is designed to be used.

However...

As far as your core problem, you DO NOT need to redo everything.  MC makes automatic Library Backups every two days or so, and you can always restore one of these backups if you mess up.  You can also make your own Library Backup whenever you want.  Read:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 08:58:15 am »

The "clear" as Glynor said is really a Nuke option. Why not just go to a file view and select all files with ctrl+a and delete the files from the library? THis would leave everything intact. 

And/or following removing the files (records) with a delete command, run a special backup and that way you will have a "virgin" library ready to go. You could just restore the "0" record library that way. Views, database custom fields and expressions will remain intact wouldn't they Glynor?  Seems to be the case for me at least, unless there are complicated set-ups which won't be retained.

thm655321

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 09:11:22 am »

It is because I have two installations of JRiver, one on the main music server that has my permanent library and one on another computer where I primarily use JRiver for tagging.

When I use JRiver for tagging I work on tagging just the new albums that I am going to add to my permanent library.  When tagging, if you for instance change an album name it takes some time for JRiver to catch up.  It is much easier to just clear the library and reload those albums and continue tagging.  That's why I clear the library so often.

Personally I don't view this as a major change in any way.  I have never understood why clearing the library by default should clear your settings.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 09:17:19 am »

Could you not just import the new files and use a "New Imports" view for tagging?
That's how I currently handle things.

You could even set up the views so that you have all files in "C:\My Music\" appearing in your standard library views, and only files in "C:\New Imports\ showing in the New Imports view.

That way you don't have newly imported files appearing in your standard library views, but don't have to clear/remove anything, or keep separate libraries, and just have to move the files from one directory to the other once they're tagged.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:07:25 am »

Could you not just import the new files and use a "New Imports" view for tagging? That's how I currently handle things.

+1

Works perfectly and allows me the flexibility to have a different library on my tagging station vs the master library as served by Media Server.

I have a special Staging view that lets me work locally on anything I need to and then once the masters are tagged, analyzed and ready for action - I simply fire up Rename, Move and Copy to send the now "ready" files to the server as play copies.

The server updates it's library and I update mine locally. Been doing it this way for long time and it's be rock solid.

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 10:14:36 am »

I have never understood why clearing the library by default should clear your settings.

The Library is the entire database, and includes those customizations to Views.

The Library is much, much, much more than the set of files imported.  It is also the entire setup of the database itself, which is how you can have multiple Libraries customized for different purposes.  The Media Network features are built on top of this as well.

Clearing your Library is designed to be an "Erase everything and start over" function.

If you are using it to keep a "staging area" for tagging new files, there is almost certainly a better way.  If you are willing to reconsider your workflow, it would help us to help you if you could describe your exact workflow in detail, step-by-step.

You may also want to review this thread.  Especially further down, it has a bunch of great workflow suggestions from multiple users with different styles:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88169.0
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

thm655321

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 01:38:55 pm »

My music files are stored on a NAS.  I do not add any new music files to the NAS unless I have properly tagged them (I have my own tagging scheme so I will retag everything basically).  So I tag just those new music files by loading in the folder that contains them and once tagged I will move them to the NAS and the main library in JRiver on my dedicated music computer will update itself.

The tagging process involves changing directory names, artist names, album names, the usual stuff, and I will use at various times the Artist, Album, Genre, etc. panes to do this.  This is way easier to do when the library contains only those files.

I thought this was a fairly simple request but it appears from the posts here that there is opposition to this.  Obviously JRiver was designed as a "Whole Library" program and it will not work well the way I use it.  To be honest though, it would work just fine if that checkbox were reversed.

I will just continue on as before and hope that I uncheck that box every single time I clear the library.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 02:20:38 pm »

why not use a third party tagger like mp3tag?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 02:37:52 pm »

The Library is much, much, much more than the set of files imported.  It is also the entire setup of the database itself, which is how you can have multiple Libraries customized for different purposes.  The Media Network features are built on top of this as well.

Clearing your Library is designed to be an "Erase everything and start over" function.

If you are using it to keep a "staging area" for tagging new files, there is almost certainly a better way.  If you are willing to reconsider your workflow, it would help us to help you if you could describe your exact workflow in detail, step-by-step.

You may also want to review this thread.  Especially further down, it has a bunch of great workflow suggestions from multiple users with different styles:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88169.0

I do the same, but I just made tagging views that ONLY look at my incoming folder, so there's no clutter.  One tagging is done I move into the main library...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 02:43:14 pm »

why not use a third party tagger like mp3tag?
Why?

~OHM~

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 02:49:14 pm »

Why?

because it was the way I did it before I started using MC 18 and i find it easier.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 02:51:06 pm »

Old habits die hard.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 03:02:38 pm »

The tagging process involves changing directory names, artist names, album names, the usual stuff, and I will use at various times the Artist, Album, Genre, etc. panes to do this.  This is way easier to do when the library contains only those files.

It is even easier to do when the "view" you are using in MC - contains only those files.

Think of your new albums as books delivered to a side room at the main public library. Instead of taking the entire library out into hall and redoing it all to accommodate your new delivery - simply use MC to go into the side room (using a file location View) and deal with the new books in there exclusively.

Then when you are done - "file" the new books in the main library by having MC move them to the NAS using Rename, Copy and Move.

VP

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 08:02:25 pm »

The Library is much, much, much more than the set of files imported.  It is also the entire setup of the database itself, which is how you can have multiple Libraries customized for different purposes.  The Media Network features are built on top of this as well.
Hmm…

connersw

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 08:51:21 am »

Why?

Because for many people, the process of tagging also includes organizing file structure.  MC has several deficiencies in this area that are more easily handled with another program.

1.  RM&C does not allow you to do a directory/folder "rename" in the way Windows Explorer users are accustomed to.  This leaves non-imported files (cover art, rip logs, booklets, etc) behind on the move, and it litters directories with abandoned folders. 
2.  RM&C is not case preserving of directory/folder renames like it should be.
3.  RM&C does not properly handle SACD .iso files.
4.  Auto-Import does not allow for automatic file structure set up on Import.  If you want more details on why Apply these tags rules for Filename does not work, I can provide them, but that is probably best for another thread.

~OHM~

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 11:18:01 am »

Because for many people, the process of tagging also includes organizing file structure.  MC has several deficiencies in this area that are more easily handled with another program.

1.  RM&C does not allow you to do a directory/folder "rename" in the way Windows Explorer users are accustomed to.  This leaves non-imported files (cover art, rip logs, booklets, etc) behind on the move, and it litters directories with abandoned folders. 
2.  RM&C is not case preserving of directory/folder renames like it should be.
3.  RM&C does not properly handle SACD .iso files.
4.  Auto-Import does not allow for automatic file structure set up on Import.  If you want more details on why Apply these tags rules for Filename does not work, I can provide them, but that is probably best for another thread.

1. Exactly why
2. Exactly why
3. I rarely use .iso but another good reason why
4. Exactly why
Pages: [1]   Go Up