INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashes on large file conversions  (Read 2037 times)

slerch666

• World Citizen
Crashes on large file conversions
« on: February 15, 2015, 08:03:56 am »

Hello.

When trying to convert large amounts of files, in multiple formats (I have FLAC, APE, WMA, MP3), JRiver Media Center 20 will randomly crash when converting files. I've tried only converting 1 file at a time, I've gone up to 6. No matter how many there are, after about 1100 or so into my 12000+ strong conversion, it crashes.

I've learned to copy my music to a play list and convert the playlist and will eventually get through the 12000 files, but this is kind of ridiculous. This is the kind of process I just expect to work without much fuss or confusion. Any help is appreciated.

What happens is that after 1100 or so files, the conversions fail and just... stop. If I hit cancel, it waits a few seconds before telling me JRiver has crashed.

Attached below is the Event Log information it collects on crash.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faulting application name: Media Center 20.exe, version: 20.0.63.0, time stamp: 0x54c69998
Faulting module name: JRPlayer.dll, version: 20.0.63.0, time stamp: 0x54c699cd
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000e45e9
Faulting process ID: 0x29b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d049207871a3ac
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 20\Media Center 20.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 20\JRPlayer.dll
Report ID: 004cbcab-b518-11e4-bee6-f4b7e28b0856
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The program Media Center 20.exe version 20.0.63.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
 Process ID: 7c8
 Start Time: 01d043a5c3c5ef7c
 Termination Time: 3
 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 20\Media Center 20.exe
 Report Id: 184f0e39-af9a-11e4-bee5-90b11c8b8d31
 Faulting package full name:
 Faulting package-relative application ID:

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Crashes on large file conversions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 08:21:30 am »

Please install 20.0.70 from the top of this board.

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:28:20 am »

I just installed and have been running my conversions.

NOW that problem is that it doesn't crash (that's not a problem, that's good), but when I minimize the window and come back a few minutes later, I can't reopen the player. It's still playing (I have it playing while converting), and if I try to force close the window it tells me the conversion is still running (right click the icon in the task bar, close window), but I can't control the music that is playing or bring the player back up.

I rebooted and have tried again. Same results.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 09:33:36 am »

... when I minimize the window and come back a few minutes later, I can't reopen the player. It's still playing (I have it playing while converting), and if I try to force close the window it tells me the conversion is still running (right click the icon in the task bar, close window), but I can't control the music that is playing or bring the player back up.
Wait longer.  If you're doing that many conversions, both MC and the OS may be very slow to respond.  Killing it isn't a good solution.  Just let it run.

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 09:44:54 am »

I didn't kill it the second time.

After kicking it around a little more, I CAN get it to pup up with this odd little white box in the upper left hand corner of my desktop. Doing a left click into that, I get the option to change the view. If I'm NOT using standard view, I can still control music.

That little white box seems to be offering the entire file menu bar options.

Really weird.

Conversions appear to be going still. The folder I am converting to is growing, so that's a good sign.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 09:50:00 am »

Just wait.  Click once and wait.  It's so busy that it can't paint the screen.

You could run a benchmark in MC under the Help menu and paste the results here.

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 09:58:51 am »

Jim-

I did wait. I clicked it and walked away. Got a cup of coffee, walked outside with the dog, came in and... same issue. It was about 15 minutes between clicking to bring the JRiver window back up and when I returned. No change except I had a different track playing when I returned.

When I changed the view this time, it crashed.

Restarted the process again and it's working. I'm leaving it alone, but will switch back to it if I want to change tracks.

I ran the benchmark with nothing playing or converting, here are the full results:

=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===

Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 3.673 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 2.423 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 1.067 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 0.766 seconds
Score: 2396

Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 0.458 seconds
    Flood filling... 0.372 seconds
    Direct copying... 0.473 seconds
    Small renders... 1.206 seconds
    Bilinear rendering... 0.870 seconds
    Bicubic rendering... 0.522 seconds
Score: 5638

Running 'Database' benchmark...
    Create database... 0.245 seconds
    Populate database... 1.088 seconds
    Save database... 0.188 seconds
    Reload database... 0.049 seconds
    Search database... 0.875 seconds
    Sort database... 0.968 seconds
    Group database... 0.570 seconds
Score: 5399

JRMark (version 20.0.70): 4478

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 10:30:55 am »

Without touching it at all, not playing music, or trying to switch back to see where it was in the conversion, it crashed again. Usually the crash occurs like this when I try to cancel it.

I am trying to convert my collection to CBR WMA, highest quality w/ compression (not lossless) for my car. VBR doesn't allow the car to remember where it was in a track when I turn the car off then back on. CBR does.

12 GB RAM. Core i7 - 3770 CPU. 8 cores.
Pages: [1]   Go Up