whatkind

« on: May 11, 2015, 03:37:27 pm »

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC20 is trying to create weird files in syswow64 folder
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 03:41:49 pm »

Why do you think those are JRiver files?  Because comodo says so?

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Problem with Comodo
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 03:51:57 pm »

I think you need to ask Comodo.  I did a little Internet search and found another similar problem.  I don't think this is an MC problem.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 04:03:05 pm »

I recommend you download a clean copy of MC from here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97427.0

It looks like something isn't right with your system.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 04:05:08 pm »

Did you get the file from another source? 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 04:57:15 pm »

Then either you have a virus or Comodo is messing with you.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 08:21:02 pm »

i hope if you are the real admin of jriver, you are supposed to check this issue further.

Sorry if no one made it clear before: Media Center's installer does not contain a file, and does not install a file, called w3gzg.dll in the System directory or anywhere else.

If you don't believe me, you can easily check this yourself.  The installer EXE, like most installer packages, is just an executable ZIP file.  Download a copy from here and extract it with a ZIP application like 7zip, rather than "running" it.  Look inside the contents of the extracted installer.  There is no w3gzg.dll in the installer.

They're sure. Hendrik is one of the developers of MC. I'm sure, because I just looked.

So, then... That presents three possible causes:

1. Comodo is wrong, and is seeing a temporary file name or something like that.
2. Some other application tried to install that file, and Comodo wrongly attibuted the behavior to Media Center.
3. Comodo is showing incorrect information and there is no w3gzg.dll file at all.

Since I couldn't find any clear references to w3gzg.dll on the Internet at all, and because the filename changes (as you stated), that leads me to believe this is some kind of randomly-generated file name. Malware often tries to install randomly named DLLs in the System directory.  Temp files also often have randomly generated names.

In any case, if Comodo's beef is with some file called w3gzg.dll: that isn't JRiver's file.  Since it is their error message, you need to ask them about it, to see if they can give you some kind of guidance on where that error might be coming from.  I'm sure JRiver would be happy to supply them with a copy of the installer and a license key, if contacted.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 08:31:56 pm »

Also, for the record, MC's installer checks for the existence of two DLL files in the System directory (SysWOW64 on x64 versions of Windows), and creates them if they don't exist:

* AReadyLB.dll
* AudDevicePlugin.dll

Both are for decoding Audible format files, and relate to MC's support of Audible audiobooks.  It also creates:

* Media Core Launcher.exe
* MC20.exe

These are two references to the same file, which are used for Command Line automation in MC:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/The_Command_Line

That's what it does. You can find these files and look at them in the installer package, as I described above.

My guess as to the error?  I think Comodo is detecting the check for the audible DLLs, but is buggy, and is showing you the source filename (which is a randomly named temp file) instead of the destination filename (which would be one of the two listed above).

But, if the filenames listed are correct, and they are destination filenames, then this isn't something MC's installer does. In any case, I'd ask them.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up