INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Netflix and VOB problems in 16.0.176  (Read 3557 times)

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Netflix and VOB problems in 16.0.176
« on: September 16, 2011, 04:22:16 pm »

[Update: Jim moved this out of the 176 thread and into this thread]

Netflix genre categories still don't seem to be working.  Currently, I only get 4 of them populated:
"Instant Queue", "Action & Adventure", "Sci-Fi & Fantasy", and "Thrillers".  Every other category is empty.

Also FF/REW in Netflix using the remote don't seem to work well.  Holding REW or pressing it multiple times just seems to result in Netflix seeking back one jump and then immediately playing again.

wer

Netflix and DVD problems
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 04:28:48 pm »

Also, even worse, after updating to 176 MC will no longer play VOB files using Red October.  I get an error dialog that says "Something went wrong with playback.  Details: Failed to find or open file (hr=0x80004005).

These are files that MC previously played fine.  Actually, I was watching a VOB, stopped playback to do some other things around the house, one of which was upgrading MC, and when I came back a few minutes later, can't play any VOBs.  No other PC changes other than MC 145->176

Trying to play an MPEG file results in the little "downloading required components" and then it plays.

This is using Red October (standard or HQ).   Changing the directshow method to "Windows merit based" allows playback of VOBs just fine, although I then have to to and tweak settings for MP4 and some other types of video files.

This was not a problem in 145, the previous version I had.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Netflix and DVD problems
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 06:16:11 pm »

Netflix genre categories still don't seem to be working.  Currently, I only get 4 of them populated:
"Instant Queue", "Action & Adventure", "Sci-Fi & Fantasy", and "Thrillers".  Every other category is empty.
It works OK here.  Check your settings in Options/Services/Netflix/Browsing Categories.
Also FF/REW in Netflix using the remote don't seem to work well.  Holding REW or pressing it multiple times just seems to result in Netflix seeking back one jump and then immediately playing again.
We have limited control since we're using a browser to play.   I don't think anything has changed here.  

JimH

• Administrator
Netflix and DVD problems
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 06:17:10 pm »

Any way to get it playing VOBs again?

Try rebooting.

wer

Netflix and DVD problems
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 06:29:52 pm »

Try rebooting.  Start a thread if necessary.
Upon further investigation, I found it's not a reboot issue, it's a Red October issue.  (See the above post)  Rebooting had no effect.

VOBs won't play using RO, but will play using Windows merit based.  This wasn't the case in my previous version 145.

Thanks...

(On the Netflix thing, updating those prefs synced everything up except Recommended, which is still blank.)

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Netflix and DVD problems
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 06:33:53 pm »

Try logging into Netflix with a browser, just to see how it looks there.  Sometimes they have problems.

wer

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 06:39:18 pm »

Was the new MC version thread the wrong place to raise the issue of Red October not playing VOBs in 176 when it did in 145?  Obviously you want a separate thread for Netflix.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 06:50:29 pm »

Was the new MC version thread the wrong place to raise the issue of Red October not playing VOBs in 176 when it did in 145?  Obviously you want a separate thread for Netflix.
I'm not sure there is a problem yet.

Red October Standard should work.

Red October HQ would normally try to use madVR, but that won't work with DVD.  You also tried ffdshow, which added to the possible problems.

wer

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 08:09:42 pm »

Ok.  I'm not sure what else to say.  RO in 145 played VOBs fine immediately before the upgrade.  Immediately after the upgrade RO would not play VOBs.  (No other changes to the PC at all other than upgrading MC.)

I then had to switch to Windows merit based so I could continue watching my VOBs.

Not everything works perfectly with the merit based rendering during ripped DVD playback though, so it would be nice to be able to go back to using Red October; it was great with ripped DVDs.

I'd be happy to provide some kind of logging info if that would help, or perhaps other people will report the issue.  I did see one similar post about a 16x version.

In the meantime I fixed my problem by downgrading to 145.  Red October works perfectly again for VOB and DVD with 145.

Thanks...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Netflix and VOB problems in 16.0.176
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 08:01:16 am »

wer,

Are you speaking about individual MPEG2 vob files that are not a part of the DVD Video folder/file structure? (i.e. are not in a VIDEO_TS folder with other vob and ifo files)

If yes, see my reply here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66017.msg446579#msg446579
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 08:46:53 am »

Hi, I reported on this a few weeks ago, all categories are now working on my MC theater view. The movies that show up are a bit 'odd,' most of the titles come from 1950-1975, very few recent titles appear in the listing. This wasn't always true, in the past current releases would also show up. That said, I've watched a lot more classic films as a result, so please don't fix it ;). I imagine it is a PITA keeping MC current with Netflix's whims, but many thanks for your efforts here...I use this feature of Theater View all the time.

The MC remote is really wonky for controlling the Netflix/MS Silverlight Player. I usually hit the letter "f" until the Silverlight controls pop up on the bottom of the screen, then use those to control Netflix via mouse.

wer

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 06:50:05 pm »

Alex,

If I remember correctly, it was both.  I can't be 100% sure because I downgraded back to 145 to get away from the issues.  Definitely "standalone" VOBs didn't play.

I know I did not test the rename-to-mpg trick this time.  I know that came up with MC in the past, but I thought that was behind us so when I saw VOBs didn't play with RO but did with the Windows-merit-based I assumed the failure was a real one and not just a naming issue.

I will test that when I next have an opportunity to upgrade. 

Thanks for confirming the VOB problem so Jim could see, though.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 10:34:52 pm »

Any news on this. I have just realized I have the same problem. Standalone vob will not play with RO standard or RO HQ. They will play with Windows Merit System.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 03:56:55 am »

A fix is on the way. I am just testing a new unreleased build and the vob problem seems to be fixed.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 10:47:11 am »

The VOB problem should be fixed in build 178:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66697.0

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 11:37:34 pm »

All good here.. Thanks for the timely update..

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

wer

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 12:43:01 pm »

I've tested .179  and it works fine now..  Thanks Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up