INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BSOD video memory management error with MC  (Read 5881 times)

Wungun

• World Citizen
BSOD video memory management error with MC
« on: November 10, 2015, 04:44:12 am »

Whenever I close the program I get this BSOD. Latest nVidia driver... And any previous driver I've tried... Same result.
Using 960 GTX HDMI 2.0 output at 4k rez and 60hz refresh rate.

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: BSOD video memory management error with MC
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 04:55:49 am »

Windows 10?

What does the BSOD say. . .

Spike

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 04:22:29 pm »

Win 10 X64
The error is video memory management.  Do you need more specifics?
Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 04:43:11 pm »

A bluescreen error cannot be caused by Media Center, which does not run inside the kernel (only ring-zero drivers can do this). For more information, the first answer on this post is a pretty good one:
http://superuser.com/questions/621636/how-does-a-driver-cause-a-bsod

Note: The only possible exception to this is the WDM driver (which is a driver and so could, conceivably, cause BSOD crashes), but this particular crash is unrelated to the WDM driver, if you even have it enabled and installed.

This is due to your video card, or video card driver. It is possible that MC triggers the crash, but this is only because it is exposing a bug (or hardware defect) in your video card itself, not because MC has any programming defect.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 05:26:59 pm »

Probably the nVidia driver switching resolution, or leaving exclusive mode on exit.

Does it happen when exiting from both Theatre View and Standard View?

I ask because Standard View should be using desktop settings, so there should be no video switching involved.

If just Theatre View, are you using RO HQ or STD? Have you tweaked madVR at all? Tweaked an other video settings?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 04:26:55 pm »

Same rez as desktop, but I do use exclusive mode. But while MC is running and I drop in and out of exclusive mode, there is zero issue. Thanks for the suggestion Rod.

Glynor, I ran a previous instance of MC without issue, same hardware, same and older drivers. I've tried about 10 video drivers so far. That would lead me to believe something changed in MC in the latest build (Or 2)...
If MC is triggering the BSOD, then MC is causing the BSOD. simple as that....

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 05:08:09 pm »

Do you exit from within Theatre View, or do you switch to Standard View and then exit? If the former, MC may not cleanly exit exclusive mode if currently running it. If the later MC is already out of exclusive mode, so that would be a misdirect on my part I think. If you exit from Standard View, try exiting from Theatre View, and visa versa. If one works and the other doesn't, at least that may narrow the possibilities.

Probably the best course of action is to capture the event in a short log file, if something actually get written to the file before the BSOD stops it. Then someone who knows how to read those logs might have a look.

You should also try to see if you can find more information in the Windows logs, turn on creating a dump file in Windows and see what is in there. A video memory management error is bound to produce something in the dump file, and there should be lots of resources around the web to help evaluate the file. That is a lot of work though, researching how to do all that, from a layman's perspective.

The problem is, if it isn't happening to everyone, or at least a bunch of people, your PC configuration must play a significant factor in causing the error. So it is your PC that needs to be investigated.

BTW, I read somewhere recently that in Windows 7 and above, exclusive mode shouldn't be necessary. I can't find the reference now. Another area for some research I guess.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 05:10:50 pm »

Not the case.  MC may just be creating the precise conditions needed to trigger a bug in the driver.  In my opinion, that's what is happening.

MC can't cause a blue screen.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 05:14:41 pm »

Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Applications that run on Windows outside of the kernel can only access system APIs to perform functions on hardware. The OS then relies upon the driver to properly execute the command. Applications on modern operating systems cannot perform functions that cause the system to crash. They can only crash themselves. All software has bugs, and MC is certainly not exempt. However, bugs in user-space applications can only crash themselves.

A blue screen error, similar to a kernel panic on OSX and many flavors of UNIX, indicates that the kernel of the operating system crashed.

Media Center cannot do this. The kernel is protected. MC can only access public APIs and instruct the OS to perform functions. The OS then instructs the hardware driver to perform the function, as needed.

So, what is happening is akin to this: The OS has a sign that says "Pull this lever if you want to do X." MC is pulling the lever, but instead of what is expected to happen, the whole building is falling down. Did MC cause the building to fall down?  No, whomever designed and implemented the lever did!

There are a ton of different possible reasons that "what worked before" no longer works now. If there really have been absolutely no changes to the software on your computer (which is extremely difficult to discern) then this would indicate a hardware failure. However, much more likely causes are Windows Updates (which come out regularly for Windows 10 and cannot be blocked), driver updates (Windows 10 will update drivers itself as part of Windows Update as well), anti-virus application interference (av and security suites regularly use drivers to inject code into the kernel), or disk corruption that has damaged parts of the OS.

Even if something in MC did change and it didn't trigger the blue screen before and now does, it is still just pulling a lever that is labeled "pulling this lever will do X" and on your particular machine with its particular software, instead of doing "X", it crashes.

It may help to track it down if you can find a precise build of MC where the error began to manifest, but that doesn't mean that JRiver can do anything to change it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 05:16:19 pm »

When I go to close MC, it's never playing anything... It's in standard view.
The BSOD causes a dump file every time.
I'll switch from MadVR output to standard renderer and test that. Standard mode doesn't use exclusive output.
With all that said, there certainly is nVidia driver issues with use of Win 10 X64, the HDMI output and 4k resolution at 60hz.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 06:10:54 pm »

Plus 1 to all of the above. It would help to understand the preconditions of the crash, to assist nVidia or whoever to actually solve the problem. i.e. Identify which kernel lever and set of conditions are causing the crash.

In the short term, it is possible to exit MC from within Theatre View, using Escape-> More option -> Close Media Center. If that method doesn't cause a BSOD, then you have a workaround until the real cause is fixed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up