INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extremely Slow Import from NAS  (Read 3573 times)

jwglista

• Recent member
Extremely Slow Import from NAS
« on: October 18, 2017, 07:54:34 pm »

I'll start this off by giving some background and specific bullet points so that we can quickly eliminate some of the first things that may come to mind (and have been repeated in numerous other posts of people complaining of this same issue) when trying to troubleshoot this issue of extremely slow imports over a network from a NAS drive.

1) My NAS is a Buffalo LS421DE hard-wired into my cable modem/wireless router, containing about 30,000 files in my music library.
2) Media Center 23 (32 and 64 bit versions) on my Windows 10 PC is importing at the rate of about 1 file every 2 minutes.  It's been running for over 24 hours and has only imported about 5000 files.
3) Media Center 20 running on my Mac Mini over the same WiFi can import my library within 15 minutes
4) Importing my library in other free applications such as Media Monkey and Sony's Media Go can also perform an import in under 15 minutes under the same conditions
5) The import in Media Center 23 on Windows 10 is showing large periodic spikes in network activity during the import, despite the very slow import speeds.  There are times where I can see it using up to 200 mbps.  Interestingly, while streaming FLAC files with Media Monkey, bandwidth never exceeds 7 Mbps.  It seems as though Media Center is accessing other network resources, since my NAS can't even transfer at a rate of 200 Mbps.  General network traffic for Media Center also seems very high during the import for such a slow rate of progress.
6) After reading through posts and the Wiki, I completely disabled Windows Defender real time protection, and this did nothing to improve speeds.

What are some other suggestions I can try here?  As it is now, this is completely unusable to me.  I do not plan on waiting 3-4 days for my library to import.

Thanks,

John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Extremely Slow Import from NAS
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 07:57:31 pm »

Try turning off Audio Analysis.

Antivirus could still be a factor.  Try reading the last post in the Antivirus thread.

jwglista

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 08:17:11 pm »

Audio Analysis is already turned off.  I never had it on during my import.

Can you please provide a link to the anti virus thread you're referring to, just so there's no mistake that I'm doing what you're suggesting.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 09:13:22 pm »

Try a search.

Spike1000

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 12:56:07 am »

I would tackle this by:
0) Re-install MC (just in case) and reboot.
1) Import some files (with MC) from the windows PC's local HDD to eliminate the MC, Wi-Fi and NAS combination.
2) Hard wire the NAS to the Windows PC and disable the Wi-Fi and re-try importing via MC to eliminate the Wi-Fi link in the chain.

Just a thought. Where is the MC library? (the database not the media files) it's not a slow drive is it?

As Jim has hinted other MC operations (eg audio analysis, anti virus or thumbnail creation) may be having a performance effect on the import. My gut feeling is the Wi-Fi link may be being saturated during import (or at least have a extremely poor throughput!) . As you've hinted the actual network performance stats you're seeing don't appear to be realistic/accurate.

Spike

jwglista

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 06:49:38 pm »

JimH: That's your idea of customer support?  "Try a search?" Thanks, buddy.

jwglista

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 06:54:19 pm »

Spike1000: I will try those things, but the thing is, my import over the same network with WiFi on my Mac using JRiver 20 is pretty fast.  So I don't know if it's a problem with this newer version of JRiver, or what.  Either way, I have to make it work over WiFi just because that's how my network is setup, and my NAS will always be the server for my music.  I don't have any other music apps running on this same PC that have issues importing, so it can't be the network.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 09:20:17 pm »

JimH: That's your idea of customer support?  "Try a search?" Thanks, buddy.
I don't think I'm your buddy.  Did you try a search?  Here's what you could find:
https://www.google.com/search?q=jriver+antivirus&oq=jriver+antivirus&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l3.6864j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

... my import over the same network with WiFi on my Mac using JRiver 20 is pretty fast.

If you're using a Mac, you're posting on the wrong board.

jwglista

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 06:43:06 pm »

JimH: This is on a Windows 10 PC.  I was comparing the import speeds of Media Center 23 on my PC versus Media Center 20 on my Mac, which is why I mentioned it.  If you read the post in detail you'll see what I mean.

I have found that the import from my NAS in Media Center 20 is at least 100 times faster than it is in Media Center 23 on the exact same PC (I downloaded the old version 20 on my PC to test this).  There is something different about the way Media Center 23 is doing the import versus Media Center 20. 

At this point, I'd be happy just using Media Center 20.  However, the license I purchased was for Media Center 23.  When I attempted to use the registration code in MC 20, it reported that it accepted it, but it actually didn't.  When I go into the registration info, it says it's still unregistered.  However, it did send me an email saying my number of restores for the year was decreased by one.

Can someone help me with that?  I can't use MC 23 on this PC, as it's not working correctly.  I want to use an older version.  Thanks

jwglista

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 06:43:45 pm »

JimH: Also, I forgot to mention, I did disable antivirus.  It even sped up the import using MC 20 when I did it, but it did absolutely nothing for the import in MC 23.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 06:52:34 pm »

Try uninstalling the AV, just to test.

jwglista

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 07:23:15 pm »

I don't have any third part anti virus installed.  This whole time I've just been referring to the Windows Defender that is built into Windows.  You can't uninstall that, only disable it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 08:11:45 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up