INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.1.201 beta  (Read 13008 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 9.1.201 beta
« on: June 17, 2003, 03:36:02 pm »

Please read VERY carefully. This is a BETA version of 9.1.  If you expect things to work, please download the latest 9.0 build from this thread:    

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=di splay;num=1054751628

but if you're patient and willing to help us work out some of the bugs, you can download 9.1 here (recommended for experts only):    

You will lose any saved view schemes from before 9.1.200 with this build.  This may happen again before the new architecture is finalized.

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter91201.exe

(backup your library before installing)  

Please report any 9.1 problems in this thread.  Keep a list of problems and if they aren't fixed in the next build, please post the list again.    

History
1. Fixed: Some commands in system menu did not work.
2. NEW: Added playback control commands to system menu.
3. Changed: Changing the selection in a view scheme now resets the selection in the lists to the right.
4. Changed: Recent Playing Now's no longer automatically get selected as drop targets.
5. Fixed: Skinned scrollbars would not hide when there wasn't room for them in a small window.
6. Fixed: Multi-session data cd burning was broken on some drive models (e.g. Plextor).
7. Changed: Showing Media Library schemes much faster.
8. NEW: Added "Show only user fields" to "Tree & View Settings" options page to make managing custom fields easier.
9. NEW: MC now supports fully flexible, user-created template database fields. (i.e. "[Artist] - [Album]")
10. NEW: Updated library field creating / editing dialog.
11. Fixed: File Properties window would lose scroll position when selecting different files.
12. NEW: Library pane system now supports creating new entries. (drop files on the last entry)
13. Fixed: Media Center would not resize correctly if system toolbars were set to auto-hide mode.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Kambriel

• Junior Woodchuck
  • That's all I have to say about that...
Re: Media Center 9.1.201 beta
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 03:41:18 pm »

Woo hooo! a new toy!

That's a pretty respectable list of new/revised/fixed... you guys ever sleep? (hope not. ;)
This Space Intentionally Left Blank

NoCodeUK

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 03:44:54 pm »

3. Changed: Changing the selection in a view scheme now resets the selection in the lists to the right
9. NEW: MC now supports fully flexible, user-created template database fields. (i.e. "[Artist] - [Album]")

THANKYOU, THANKYOU A thousand times thank you!! ;D

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Omni

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 03:46:03 pm »

Care to explain this one a bit more?  Sounds interesting... promising.

Omni

NoCodeUK

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 03:49:37 pm »

Omni, It means that fields are no longer restricted to one thing.  We can create our own calculated fields.  If you look at the new date fields, they are all calculated fields.  Based on the physical field date MC produces the calculated fields Date (month), Date (year etc.  They are not actual db fields but are merely fields that encapsulate other fields so if you want your albums to sort chronologically you can create a field Date (year - Album.  nothing will physically change in the db but you could create a VS using this and it would appear like this

Artist                                         Album
The Beatles                               1963 - With The Beatles
                                                1969 Abbey Road etc...

Hope this helps

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 04:00:59 pm »

You can try it here:

Options -> Tree & View -> Add Field (select "Calculated data")

The template can use any string.  Field names in brackets get replaced. ( i.e. Image Dimensions -> [Width]x[Height] -> 1024x768 )

Kambriel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2003, 04:01:10 pm »

9.0 is still on the installer.

Program still opens in 'parts.'

In DSP Studio, selecting 4 channel will keep whatever was last used, either 5.1, 2 channel stereo, or whatever. Selecting 4 channel will always change to showing 2 channel stereo after closing and re-opening DSP studio.

Visualizations won't react to the music when in 5.1 speaker mode.

Playing Now mode still won't change (edit: can't be changed) unless something is playing.

Thanx for the controls on minimize! :D

NoCodeUK

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2003, 04:16:26 pm »

I am gonna try and make my beta posts more organised from now on in a Remy kinda style (You don't have patents do you Remy?;D)

K Here Goes

First Reported: 16/06/03
5-10 second lag when playing first track.  This only happens with the first track after MC has started.

First Reported: 16/06/03
Double clicking on taskbar icon does not minimize/restore. This is standard windows behaviour

First Reported: 18/06/03 (well it is here at least)
There is no longer a button in props to apply changes.  What is the recommended way to do this now?

Fixed Bugs

• Minimize and Maximize weren't working in the toolbar
  • Right most columns were retaining selection when a column to the left was changed
  • Icons now appear for all view schemes if they have a media type regardless of if something else was added
  • MC is no longer passing everything to Playing Now alphhabetically but is retaining the correct sequence order

Cheers Guys

Adam

Kambriel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2003, 04:24:29 pm »

Would it be feasible to have the pane empty when nothing is selected, vice showing everything? For instance, when first opening Media Library, and it shows the Artists and Albums, could the lower window be blank until an artist or album (or <all> or <empty>) is selected? Showing a totally unsorted list right off the bat isn't useful at all, and it looks messy.

Edit: For that matter, Album could also be empty although I still like having the pane there for when I click on an artist.

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2003, 04:26:04 pm »

no accelerators, no localisation.... the main reason I don't like full skinning... everything is different.

great.

good. but still lot improvement needed....

8. NEW: Added "Show only user fields" to "Tree & View
Settings" options page to make managing custom fields easier.

great idea

wohooo...... (any chance for a drop down list.....? )

10. NEW: Updated library field creating / editing dialog.

definitely great.

12. NEW: Library pane system now supports creating new entries. (drop files on the last entry)

how about making that happen when dropping a file to the columns title? (btw: left clicking on the title could reverse the sort order.....)

still getting better.... that's what's best with MC

Ingo

Omni

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2003, 04:27:32 pm »

NoCodeUK/Matt,

Thanks!  I now understand.  Nice feature!

Omni

Omni

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2003, 04:32:27 pm »

Bug (copied from post I just made a few minutes ago in the B200 thread):

If you choose to make "Rating" one of your columns in a view scheme,  you get the standard choices in the list:  <all>, ?, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.  Selecting "?" yields zero results.

Now, I was playing around with the grouping, and when you group the rating column by 2, "0-1", "2-3", and "4-5" are added to choices.  Selecting "0-1" yields all tracks that are either unrated or have a rating of 1.

Conclusion:  All unrated tracks are being catergorized as having a rating of "0" rather than "?".  So either "?" should be replaced with "0" in the list of choices or removed altogether.  (I vote for replaced!!!)

Omni

Kambriel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2003, 05:00:37 pm »

Please put Artist/Album (containing |Album Artist (auto)/Album|) back in the default list of views.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2003, 05:10:03 pm »

If you choose to make "Rating" one of your columns in a view scheme,  you get the standard choices in the list:  <all>, ?, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.  Selecting "?" yields zero results.

0 is "unrated" -- but it should get changed to "?" before being displayed.

Also, it shows all the ratings (even if there are no files) so you can drag-n-drop to set the rating of files.

There is no longer a button in props to apply changes.  What is the recommended way to do this now?

Just select something else in the list.  MC will always stay synchronized.

Would it be feasible to have the pane empty when nothing is selected, vice showing everything?

Probably not.  In usability tests, new users fared better when their files showed in Media Library without extra actions.

good. but still lot improvement needed....

Really.  It's lightning quick for me, even with a huge library.  Can you give any more details?

Please put Artist/Album (containing |Album Artist (auto)/Album|) back in the default list of views.

Lots of presets will be added to the "Add View Scheme" menu.  Give us a build or two.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2003, 05:21:48 pm »

Wow, I'm never going back, the custom fields with the pane and filter interface is incredible.  I can see where this is heading, there used to be a file explorer many years ago with a similar metaphor, can't remember the name.  Being able to use multiple smartlists in the view scheme is wonderful, did we have that before?  Anyway, I just noticed it.

The speed for me is very good right now but I thinking I have a relatively small database (<8000 items).

There seems to be a bug with sizing the window from the bottom, you can select the border but it doesn't really stick and then without holding the button, the window still tries to size when the mouse passes over.

Sorry this isn't a very useful post, just got excited about the new stuff...

[size=-2]Media Center Registered 9.1.201 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 448 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 94 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: HP       CD-Writer+ 8200    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
[/size]
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2003, 05:30:07 pm »

still why doesnt new media liberary system save selections (artist/album) when we move to another window and get back to it find it reseted!
Tamer

Soundman

• World Citizen
  • Go Music!
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2003, 05:35:28 pm »

Go JRiver.  You all are on the ball.  :)

Good, but till needs improvement to match behavior of standard Windows apps: A single-click on the taskbar icon when MC already has focus should minimize it. Also needs shortcut keys.

Terrific!  I almost requested this last build, but I figured you guys already had enough on your plate.  You always go the extra mile!

3. Changed: Changing the selection in a view scheme now resets the selection in the lists to the right.
Can Adam or someone explain why this is desireable? (I'm not saying I disagree with it, but just don't understand).

8. NEW: Added "Show only user fields" to "Tree & View Settings" options page to make managing custom fields easier.
Nice touch!

Kudos!  Exactly what I was begging for !!!   :D

I have many requests for features in the Automation SDK that I will post to the Developer forum soon.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2003, 05:50:43 pm »

still why doesnt new media liberary system save selections (artist/album) when we move to another window and get back to it find it reseted!

Probably because it's still a beta?

Omni

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2003, 05:58:35 pm »

0 is "unrated" -- but it should get changed to "?" before being displayed.

Also, it shows all the ratings (even if there are no files) so you can drag-n-drop to set the rating of files.

Oops!  I made a BIG typo in my bug report.  I hope this correction doesn't go unnoticed.

0 is not being listed as a choice, only <all>, ?, 1, 2, 3, 4,  5, and <new rating -- drop files here> (the list item being introduced in this build, of course).  The bug is that when one highlights the ? item, nothing ends up matching and an empty list is shown.  (I expected all the unrated tracks to show up, but they didn't.)

Omni

gkerber

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2003, 06:06:32 pm »

http://www.users.qwest.net/~kerbergeorge/20030617_mc.jpg

[image removed and left as link.  please post small images with a link to full size-- JimH]

I see new view schemes.  I am really trying to figure this all out.

Drag files from where?  This is a serious question.  With the view scheme active there are no files to drag from anywhere.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2003, 06:11:46 pm »

This one is very slow on my Win98SE machine. 9.1.199 was not. I didn't get a chance to try 200.
CVIII

That's right.
I'm cool.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2003, 06:16:51 pm »

I didn't like the new reset logic, introduced in 200 or 201. If you select a field, all fields to its right are reset to <all>. This forces you to select always from right to left order.

There are some fields (i.e. tempo, mood, rating) where the order does not matter much.

If I select from the scheme .../tempo/mood/rating I should be able to select from them with any order.

On the other hand, there is some merits for being able to reset all or part of the "tree". Maybe there could be some special buttons for that.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2003, 06:20:54 pm »

Why shouldn't the pane to the right reset to <all>? If I have Metallica selected, and Load selected as an album, then if I select Megadeth, how is MC going to handle this? It can't leave Load selected, because there is no album by Megadeth called Load.

gkerber

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2003, 06:26:53 pm »

http://www.users.qwest.net/~kerbergeorge/unplugged.jpg

Is this a feature or a bug?

I actually have 3 albums with the name "Unplugged".  Shouldn't I see 3 of them in the Album pane?  Instead I have one and all the tracks are combined in the track window when I select the Unplugged album.

Is this behavior correct?  Is it desirable?

I just have the feeling that I am missing some little thing about that panes, that if cleared up, then things will all become clear to me.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2003, 06:30:49 pm »

Why shouldn't the pane to the right reset to <all>? If I have Metallica selected, and Load selected as an album, then if I select Megadeth, how is MC going to handle this? It can't leave Load selected, because there is no album by Megadeth called Load.

Doof, in this case you are right. It is not general enough to cover the case I explained. It should only reset if all selections disappear.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2003, 06:33:07 pm »

Another weird example:
I select Genre Metal, Select metallica, ADD a new Genre: Classical, Metallica disappears. This forces me that I select Genre First.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2003, 06:33:27 pm »

gkerber,
Please post small images.

On all the detail, it might be best to just wait and watch to see what happens.  9.1 may not be completely useable yet.  We're definitely not ready to start supporting it.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2003, 06:36:01 pm »

BUG: Field Names in the new browser window should be display names, not internal names. I couldn't change
Album Artist (automatic) to Artist (album).

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2003, 06:48:02 pm »

http://www.users.qwest.net/~kerbergeorge/unplugged.jpg

Is this a feature or a bug?

I actually have 3 albums with the name "Unplugged".  Shouldn't I see 3 of them in the Album pane?  Instead I have one and all the tracks are combined in the track window when I select the Unplugged album.

Is this behavior correct?  Is it desirable?

I just have the feeling that I am missing some little thing about that panes, that if cleared up, then things will all become clear to me.

How is MC supposed to know the difference between the 3 "Unplugged" albums? And how, in a situation where you've decided not to filter using Artist, is it supposed to differentiate to you, the user, which "Unplugged" is which?

By selecting <all> where you have, you've effectively created a View Scheme called Album. How would the tree display the 3 different "Unplugged"'s in a view scheme that only used Album as a field?

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2003, 06:51:51 pm »

This doesn't appear to have been reported . . .

My custom view schemes do not appear in the Media Library on the Tivo HMO.  In Media Center I deleted all of the default view schemes and created my own.  When you go to the Tivo the only ones that show up are the 4 defaults (which I had deleted): Artist/Album, Decade/Album, Genre/Artist/Album, and Location.

I restarted Media Center, Media Server, and then I restarted my computer.

Kambriel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2003, 07:24:59 pm »

gkerber: the filters can only be just so intelligent. If you were shown a 3 albums named 'unplugged' but had the artists covered, would you KNOW they were from different artists? (It would stand to reason, but computers can't reason.)

Desireable? Well, I'd rather see all the songs under the 'unplugged' albums rather than have the computer try to figure it out and mess things up. (I don't trust my computer farther than I can throw it when it comes to picking out music on it's own... it always comes up with electronica. YICK!)  ;)

Timmy_Yak

• Recent member
  • I am a Sexy Beast
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2003, 08:16:41 pm »

If you Min and then Max the window again, the task bar will not appear.

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2003, 08:44:16 pm »

i think MC really misses :

1- a tool bar view mode like the one in realone player ... its really would be a hard one to make.

2- a fix for the resetable new media liberary sys.

3- updating the web page of the online services (radio) so it can keep up with the visual looking of the MC

4- adding a feature in the sound recorder to apply the "DirectX Host" presets to the Line-in specially without recording .. just a live proccess .. so guitar players can use it as a Fx Box :)

5- My Brain is Full now .. and got things on my mind so i will return back after thinking of new ideas :D
Tamer

rocketsauce

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2003, 09:04:22 pm »

• I have the thumb button on my mouse set to maximize the foreground window. MC doesn't maximixe when I click this button.

• Need a way to be able to set List Style globally somewhere in the Options. I want my lists to always be set to details view, never thumbnails.

• Need a normal Windows-grey color skin asap. PixOS is way too bright and hard on the eyes...only slightly less painful than staring at a bright white screen. The other skins (Green Eye and Z) are...uhmm...not very pretty to look at either.

• There needs to be easier access to the settings in Player/More Controls and Player/Player Options.

• The highlighted area at the top takes up too much vertical screen space. It all needs to be way smaller.

Rob

RemyJ

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2003, 09:15:14 pm »

I am gonna try and make my beta posts more organised from now on in a Remy kinda style (You don't have patents do you Remy?;D)

Yeah, the license fee is $1/bug  ;)
Here's the spreadsheet I use.  There's a macro that automatically sends me the cash each time you save it. (just kidding)!
http://www.peakin.com/problems91.xls

• New - Date Opened: 2003/06/17  Priority: High
    In view schemes based on location, there's no indication in the list box as to whether there are any subdirectories.

View schemes based on location don't work with UNC path names.

In view schemes based on location, selecting a directory name that is also the prefix of another directory shows tracks from both.  I.E.  Selecting the directory 'Verve' shows tracks from both 'Verve and 'Verve Pipe'.  Selecting 'Verve Pipe' shows tracks only for itself.

Changing view between details and thumbnails resets the selection listboxes to '<all>'.  In the case of location based views, the view is reseet to the root.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/16  Priority: High
    When you send a group of tracks to Playing Now from a view scheme they lose their sort order. Shuffle is not on.

Attempting to delete the '<click to add view>' actually deletes the first real view scheme.

'Recently Playing Now's' are multiplying like rabbits and they confuse the drop target.  Update: They're not confusing the drop target anymore but they're still multiplying.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/16  Priority: Medium
    If you rename a standard column the change isn't propogated to the new listbox column headers or selection menus.

View Filter button doesn't save its state.

When MC starts, parts of the UI get displayed, then there's a few second gap before the rest is drawn.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2003, 09:40:56 pm »

Wow.  Now I can do play/pause/stop/foward skip/backward skip fron system menu.  Thanks.

Bug list I reported in 198/199 threads.

Serious issues:

- All track info pages (dirt simple, DJ, ..., neoTropic) didn't show Japanese character.  They all show '?' instead.
- Copy and paste of tag information doesn't work properly.  For example, I select 20 songs in a album and push ^C to copy text information like song/artist/album name.  When I push ^V on Notepad, it shows only 15 songs information.
   I guess MC9 is copying the number of characters instead of bytes.  For the case of multi-bytes characters, everytime the number of characters is smaller than actual bytes.

Not serious:

- MC9.1 smartlist wizard is kinda slow.  I need to wait 40 seconds to get a window when I choose add artist rule from wizard.  Moreover, I think 200 was little bit faster.  Not sure, though.  It's beta, so I put this as non serious issue list.
- If I install MC9.1 to new machine, MC9.1 doesn't show window at first execution.  I saw this problem on 198, but never tested it again since need to install OS to test this.
- folder= query is noe filename= query.  Help file is needed to update.

Additional issues:

- I still cannot minimize MC9 by simple LEFT-click of MC9 in task bar.  This is a regular manner of Windows applications.  I think others also asked about this previously but haven't seen any responses.  So, I'm just adding it issue to my list.

Thanks.

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2003, 10:08:28 pm »

Would really like to see the view sheme groups again, Reason:
I have several categories as view shemes, then one group with the modifier "DB:CD" and inside this group all shemes a second time,
RESULT:
I can easily compare my local music with the one in my CD-library :)

Raist

If you don't want to restore the groups, perhaps you have another way to modify the DB-entry, but for all shemes at once: as a DB-selection to apply on all shemes.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2003, 11:38:58 pm »

Here was my reasoning for requesting resetting columns to the right when a change was made to the left.  Doofs reasons were similar.  Mine was I have all my TV series in MC.  I have a view scheme Series/Season/Episode #.  If I select Simpsons/1/4 then change the series to Futurama, I don't expect to have 1 and 4 still selected in the other boxes.  I expect to see a list of all my Futurama Episodes.  Smilar to Doof when I have selected Futurama/2/4/ then switch to Simpsons I do not have Simpsons/2/4 so MC gets confused and nothing is selected in the last column.  Hence the reset.

Another bug -

First Reported: 18/06/03
All panes are reset on a refresh of the bottom pane or when changing list styles.  I can understand it for a refresh as this could be seen as a reset of data but any chance they could not reset when changing list style eg if i have selected a bunch of albums and then decide I want to see just the covers so changes the list style to covers I lose my selections.

Adam

nila

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2003, 12:11:57 am »

sorry for snapping yesterday in one of my posts - was having a really bad day.

I have faith it'll all work out ok.

I'm also having faith (please prove me right) that view scheme grouping is coming back as it is a feature that people dont have to use if they dont want to but for those of us that DESPERATELY want it we can have it.

I'm having problems creating the new template based view schemes. I think a lot of my problems are probably to do with writing the wrong thing into the template box - any chance of giving us some help here? a right click that displays all possible values and lets us choose one, or maybe a GUI way of doing it or something?
Expecting us to be able to, from memory remember what to write for say: 'complete albums' is gonna cause bugs :)

• Right clicking on a column and choosing 'add new column' - this add's it to the very end - can it instead add it to the right of whichever column we click on?
  • Any chance of being able to drag and drop the columns to swap their order? (drag the third one to make it second etc like we do with field columns in the media library)

THANK YOU for the new template based view schemes - they're great!! :) That was one idea I know alot of us have been wanting for ages.

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2003, 12:24:57 am »

Using the RemyJ spreadsheet, here are the bugs I reported yesterday together with a new one:

• New - Date Opened: 2003/06/18  Priority: High
    When you add a new value to a tag, the top pane does not update to show that value. For example, I added Phil in the People field of an image and this did not automatically appear in the People column in the top pane. I had to switch to a different view scheme and go back to the original view scheme for the update to be displayed.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/17  Priority: High
    Hard disk locations cannot be used for image view schemes. The Hard Disk Locations column just displays <all> which has no function.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/17  Priority: Low
    I set the position of the divider between the top and bottom right hand panes under the Playing Now view. I then switch to Media Library and then back to Playing Now and find that the divider has moved up slightly on the screen.

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2003, 01:50:08 am »

Really.  It's lightning quick for me, even with a huge library.  Can you give any more details?

ok... found the problem:
my view scheme had a smartlist for filtering only files that are 'clean'. It's search string is
[Filename]="d:\my music" or [Filename]="e:\my music"

Removing the smartlist from the view scheme makes it realy fast.

Adding the same search string directly to the media view makes it slow down somewhat, but it's still kind of fast (compared to smartlist usage)

Removing the 'or' (and the second part) from the search string  (leaving it [Filename]=":\my music") makes it speed up a bit again.

I'm using a library of 23k files, the smartlist returns 13k of it. Athlon 1.2
View Scheme is Album Artist (auto)/Album
always filtering on [Media Type]=[Audio]

switching an album takes
3sec when using smartlist
1sec when using the search string
close to nothing when working without any additional search string

rocketsauce

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2003, 02:06:06 am »

Dates on every track got messed up in the Media Library while I was using Year - Album in a View Scheme. They appear to still be in the tags when viewed with an external app.

I've tried deleting all the files from the library in order to reimport them, but MC crashes every time and the files end up not being deleted.

Rob

Edit:

Was finally able to delete the files in groups of about 500. Reimporting fixed most of them, but there were about 50 files that still showed a date of 1899.

Media Center Registered 9.1.201 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Pentium III 730 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 125 MB
Resource Info: System - 51 %, GDI - 61 %, User - 51 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W1210A   Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:12  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2003, 03:34:41 am »

KnickelBug© #1
The big display on top shows only "Name (Album)". I would expect "Artist - Name (Album)".

KnickelBug© #2
Renamed custom fields still are shown as "Custom 1", "Custom 2", "Custom 3" in the library pane "headlines".

KnickelBug© #3
I'm missing the "Properties" line in library panes right click menu ... "Edit" is nice, but not the same...

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/17  Priority: Low
    The divider between the top and bottom right hand panes does moves location when switching between Media Library and Playing Now views.

In my opinion, this is a feature, not a bug ... Why not have different views for that?

lOth

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2003, 04:52:25 am »

A little hard to get used to the new library view scheme but I guess that I will eventually love it. The main problem I have with it right now is that in hairstyle mode there is no way to know the kind of media found within a view. I had to call my views something like 'Audio - Album', 'Video - Album', 'Image - Album', etc, which sort of defeat the purpose of the new system and its neat little icons... Any chance we can get some sort of icons in hairstyle mode so that we can distinguish the various media types?

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2003, 04:59:21 am »

In my opinion, this is a feature, not a bug ... Why not have different views for that?

I've reworded my description of this very minor problem to:

I set the position of the divider between the top and bottom right hand panes under the Playing Now view. I then switch to Media Library and then back to Playing Now and find that the divider has moved up slightly on the screen.

gkerber

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2003, 05:21:20 am »

How is MC supposed to know the difference between the 3 "Unplugged" albums? And how, in a situation where you've decided not to filter using Artist, is it supposed to differentiate to you, the user, which "Unplugged" is which?

By selecting <all> where you have, you've effectively created a View Scheme called Album. How would the tree display the 3 different "Unplugged"'s in a view scheme that only used Album as a field?

That is my point exactly, how would it know?  But unless we figure it out somehow, we can never trust any entry in the album panes to be what we expect, unless we have our database memorize to know that we have one and one only "Unplugged" album.  And if we know our data that well, we really don't need the panes anyway.  This is a quirk of the panes, show stopper?  

I was struggling with the panes and the independant sort of the panes unless a higher level item was selected, something felt wrong, this is it.

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2003, 05:36:56 am »

Another bug:

• New - Date Opened: 2003/06/18  Priority: High
    If you view the file info for one file which doesn't include custom fields then view the file info for a different file which does contain custom fields, the custom fields aren't displayed in the File Info screen. They are displayed when the view is refreshed by switching the bottom left pane to a different view then back to File Info. Once the custom fields have been displayed, they are displayed until MC is closed down. The problem returns when MC is restarted.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2003, 05:38:55 am »

Gkerber,

This is equivalent to the old Greatest Hits debate which came up with the auto album feature.  Pesonally I always tag the album with the artist name too in this context so I would have Queens Greatest Hits or Nirvana Unplugged so for me this is not an issue but I understand your problem.  Not sure how it could be easily resolved.  It was a problem in the tree too when using the old auto album feature so it is not just exclusive to the panes view.

Adam

PhDSM

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2003, 07:13:09 am »

:'( :'(
Hello,

This is the third version of 9.1 that I install and none of them has ever worked. Each time MC9.1 failed to load the database and said it is corrupted. When I reinstall version 9.0 the same DB works well.
Any Idea ?
Rgds

PhDSM

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2003, 07:39:05 am »

I don't know.  You can just import again.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up