INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JRVR Status, Plans and Upcoming Changes  (Read 23463 times)

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
JRVR Status, Plans and Upcoming Changes
« on: November 16, 2021, 07:10:42 am »

JRVR, or JRiver Video Renderer, is our new in-house cross-platform video renderer, being developed as part of MC28, and on-going development in MC29.

In this thread, we'll discuss the current status, future plans, and announce upcoming changes.
For general information and feedback, see the announcement thread: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130657.0.html

We'll keep this thread up-to-date as well as announce upcoming changes here, so you can keep an eye on the status of JRVR!

Status

Not all features are available, and everything is still subject to change as we develop it further. However, it is already in a quite usable state, and we encourage testing and reporting the experiences.

JRVR is available on Windows, Linux and Mac. On Linux and Mac it is already the default renderer, on Windows you can opt into using it in Options -> Video -> Video Mode: Red October JRVR

Available Features:
- High Quality Upscaling/Downscaling
  - Various scaling algorithms can be selected through the settings
  - Linear Light or Sigmoidal Light scaling for the highest quality
  - Advanced Scaling filters (image doubling)
  - SuperRes enhancement (post-processing to remove the artifacts from upscaling)
- Accurate color processing
- HDR to SDR tonemapping, for HDR10 and HLG
- HDR Passthrough
- High bitdepth processing, and dithering to the final output bitdepth
- Subtitle support, with color correction
- DVD and Blu-ray Menu support (Windows only)
- Hardware Decoding integration (Windows only)
- Playback of Rotated videos
- Color calibration through ICC profiles, and 3DLUTs
- Image post-processing options
  - Debanding

JRVR is designed as a cross-platform video renderer, which means that we aim to offer as many features as possible to all supported platforms.
However, JRVR is only the video renderer, and more work is required to add missing features to the video ecosystem on Linux and Mac, so not all features will immediately be available everywhere - but with JRVR we're laying a foundation to enable us to add these features in the future.

Plans

Upcoming Features:
- Hardware Decoding integration for Linux and Mac

We are of course also open to hearing about suggestions for other features, as long as they fit into the scope and design of JRVR.
The goal is to provide a curated selection of high-quality video features, while keeping JRVR easy to use ("It just works!"), as well as keeping the core functionality efficient to enable playback on slower hardware.

----

We welcome discussions on upcoming changes and our plans!
For general feedback, help, or questions, please either create a new topic, or use the main JRVR topic at https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130657.0.html
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: JRVR Status, Plans and Upcoming Changes
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 07:13:28 am »

Recent and Upcoming Changes

- NEW: "Screen Grab to File" and "Use Screen Grab for Thumbnail" are supported with JRVR.

- Changed: Re-designed the JRVR General and Output options pages to be more user friendly.
- Changed: Adjusted the default for HDR to SDR conversion brightness.

- NEW: Added support for manual color controls to JRVR (Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Saturation).

- Changed: JRVR Output settings are now per-display, existing settings have been migrated.
- NEW: JRVR support for color calibration using ICC/ICM profiles and 3D Cube LUTs (.cube).
- Changed: Tweaked JRVR SuperRes Enhancement for a better balance of sharpness and ringing.

- Fixed: The D3D11 hardware deinterlacing in JRVR is fully reset when seeking or changing to progressive, to avoid artifacts.
- Fixed: Seeking with JRVR would blank out the frame before the new frame was available, for a visible blinking effect.
- Changed: The JRVR OSD shows the Media Center version for easy identification.

- Fixed: The default video playback mode was set to Advanced in some cases instead of Red October JRVR in 29.0.26.

- Fixed: Playing a Blu-ray with VC-1 video in Menu mode could result in stuttering playback.
- Changed: Red October JRVR is now the default recommended video playback mode (in favor of Red October Standard).
- Changed: Renamed Red October HQ to "Red October madVR" to clearly indicate the difference in renderer used.

- Fixed: Improved DVD Menu behavior in JRVR when the menu consists of still frames.

- Fixed: Mixed interlaced and progressive content could show a few frames out of order at the cross-over with JRVR.
- Fixed: JRVR will allow rendering the OSD even when no image from the source has arrived yet.

- Changed: Variable Refresh Rate/GSYNC will be disabled for Media Center on NVIDIA GPUs by creating a custom profile on first video playback.

- Fixed: Improved the consistency of text subtitle placement with JRVR.

- Changed: Updated libplacebo in JRVR for improved tonemapping, dithering, and various performance, stability and compatibility fixes.
- Changed: Moved and reworded the "Gamut Handling" JRVR setting to better reflect that it is going to be used for SDR as well, as well as adding a new default setting.
- Changed: Introduced a set of Trade Quality for Performance options in JRVR to limit the bitdepth of frame buffers and disable the use of frame buffers entirely for very low end systems (not recommended otherwise).

- NEW: Re-designed ASS/SSA subtitle renderer for JRVR for significant performance improvements.
- NEW: Ctrl-R will reset the JRVR performance metrics.

- NEW: Support for playback of rotated videos in JRVR.
- Changed: Updated LAV Filters to 0.76.1, fixing an issue with hardware acceleration in JRVR on Intel GPUs, and improving integration of DVD menus with JRVR.

- Changed: Bitmap subtitles in JRVR will now be rendered at their original resolution and resized by JRVR (faster!).
- Fixed: HDR subtitles and menus from UHD BDs are now properly tonemapped in JRVR.
- Changed: Text subtitles with JRVR will more consistently make use of black bars to display, if present.

- Fixed: Subtitles in JRVR could stop working after seeking backwards.
- Changed: Subtitles in JRVR are now handled in small rectangles, instead of the full frame, for faster rendering.

- Changed: Internal changes how JRVR handles subtitles (faster!)
- Fixed: JRVR is more lenient when dealing with files with invalid HDR metadata.
- Fixed: JRVR would not toggle the OS HDR mode when playing HLG or DV HDR content with pass-through enabled.

- Fixed: Enabling direct mismatched size rendering in JRVR could result in a larger border then expected.
- Changed: Disabled JRVR Peak Detection by default due to its performance cost and potential for brightness shifts, and moved the option into the Advanced section.

- NEW: Enabled Ctrl-J JRVR functionality in TV engine and non-DirectShow JR Video Player (on Windows, Mac, and Linux).
- NEW: JRVR support for Dolby Vision playback (non-passthrough).
- Changed: Re-designed JRVR HDR tone mapping and related options.
- NEW: DVD playback with JRVR will now use hardware deinterlacing.
- NEW: Added a JRVR performance option to avoid extraneous frame copies for systems with low memory bandwidth.
- NEW: Playing HLG HDR content with JRVR can now be transformed to HDR10 for pass-through.
- NEW: JRVR now caches shaders between runs, for faster subsequent startups.

=== Media Center 28 ===

- Fixed: Resolved an issue that could result in not all JRVR settings being saved consistently when interacting with the settings dialog.

- NEW: JRVR will show rendering performance metrics on the Info OSD (Ctrl-J).
- NEW: Chroma upscaling in JRVR can be enhanced by using Bilateral scaling (Chroma upscaling guided by Luma).
- NEW: Image upscaling in JRVR can use advanced Image Doubling algorithms for enhanced quality when playing low resolution videos.

- Fixed: JRVR could crash when using SuperRes in combination with Hardware Decoding.
- Fixed: External subtitles did not start rendering with JRVR in all cases.

- Changed: Introduced more advanced options for JRVR to control dithering and a few performance related options.
- NEW: Implemented SuperRes Enhancement for upscaling with JRVR. SuperRes refines the image after upscaling for more sharpness and reduced artifacts.

- Fixed: JRVR in combination with hardware decoding could show a faint bright line at the bottom of the image in certain resolutions.

28.0.88:
- Fixed: Hardware deinterlacing in JRVR in combination with hardware decoding could result in a green line artifact on some videos.

28.0.87:
- Fixed: Subtitles could boost the overall image brightness in JRVR when using HDR pass-through.
- Changed: The JRVR information OSD is scaled by the Media Center size setting.
- Changed: Lowered the brightness of subtitles when using HDR pass-through with JRVR to be more consistent with SDR content, as well as improve the color reproduction.

28.0.86:
- NEW: HDR10 pass-through with Red October JRVR (Windows and Linux with Vulkan).
- NEW: Support for 10-bit output with Red October JRVR (Windows only).
- NEW: Added an information on-screen display to JRVR (Ctrl-J to toggle).
- NEW: Support for Frame-Stepping (Shift-Right Arrow in Pause) with Red October JRVR (Windows only).

- Fixed: Blu-ray Menu playback with JRVR could get stuck or end prematurely.

- Changed: JRVR will report the actual screen refresh rate to VideoClock for more accurate timing adjustments. (Windows Only)
- NEW: The Playback OSD is rendered natively with JRVR. (Windows Only)
- NEW: Support for Blu-ray Menu playback with JRVR. (Windows Only)

OSD rendering will come to Linux/Mac in a future update.

- Changed: Improved timeout in JRVR when detecting rendering glitches to allow a more graceful recovery.

- NEW: Support for DVD playback with Red October JRVR. (Windows Only)
- Changed: Improved JRVR timing accuracy when using NTSC-style display refresh rates (eg. 23.976 Hz).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 07:23:25 am »

jmone said it well:
1) A great cross platform Renderer,
2) with the key features, and
3) without needing to delve into hundreds of options.
and I added:
And efficient, so it runs on low end machines.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 08:37:50 am »

From the other thread

* Some form of profile system for settings as per https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130905.msg908443.html#msg908443 which potentially allows for per client configuration in conjunction with per library item configuration

* Support for scaling for use with anamorphic lens as per the posts following https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130905.msg907932.html#msg907932 (also needs to be client specific)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 09:52:59 am »

* Support for scaling for use with anamorphic lens as per the posts following https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130905.msg907932.html#msg907932 (also needs to be client specific)

I'm pretty sure you can already do this with the scaling and pan&scan support we have now. But then I have no idea whats required for anamorphic lenses, since I never owned one, and possibly never will.
It would be important to distinguish here if some sort of scaling configuration is still missing, or "just" the ability to set this up on a per-screen basis - if that is even required, which it might not be with the right settings.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 03:23:13 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can already do this with the scaling and pan&scan support we have now. But then I have no idea whats required for anamorphic lenses, since I never owned one, and possibly never will.
It would be important to distinguish here if some sort of scaling configuration is still missing, or "just" the ability to set this up on a per-screen basis - if that is even required, which it might not be with the right settings.
madvr applies a custom stretch factor as per https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=124128.0 used in conjunction with its zoom control to deal with black bars. In my case, I have a 1.33x horizontal expansion lens so use a 4/3 stretch factor so the renderer stretches it in one direction then my lens stretches it on the other. Stretch factor has to be configurable because lens can have different ratios and also come in vertical compression form (more common recently with 4k 17:9 panels)

The madvr configuration options are described in more detail in https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188&pid=2238958#pid2238958

As far as I understand it, the gaps atm are:

* per client configuration (i.e. in a multi client setup, it's highly likely that only 1 will have a lens)
* custom (stretch) scaling which is user configurable

The user experience gap, which I think can be plugged by @jmone's SOT app, is automated black bar detection

I'll get time to verify the above at some point soon.

armyplace

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 08:40:30 pm »

Can I request:

1. chapter listings for MKV files. My previous player MPC-BE had this.

2. Overlay of video data to help with debugging and settings (Dropped frames etc)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 05:59:03 am »

As some news for the weekend, HDR pass-through is coming along nicely.

JRVR can already pass-through the HDR signal and the appropriate metadata to the display, even confirmed correct metadata is arriving with the help of a HDFury Arcana.
The only missing piece is toggling HDR mode for those of us that are not running it permanently yet, but hopefully that'll come together for the next build early next week!

One interesting thing I noticed, if you send a HDR signal to Windows without having a HDR display (or HDR mode enabled), it'll actually tonemap it. It does an "OK" job at it, although JRVR tonemapping looks better to me. :)

In combination with this will come the ability to output using 10-bit, which is always used if available for HDR, and I plan to add an advanced option to enable or disable it for SDR, as in the past there were some issues with 10-bit output, so testing it would probably be good.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 12:10:57 am »

Sounds great! 
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 04:13:20 am »

I split the performance question from whoareyou to here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,131274.0.html
If you have specific questions on your setup, or bugs, please either use the main announcement thread or just create a new one, so that we can keep this thread to discuss the plans, changes and features.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

audunth

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 10:50:26 am »

Hi,

I just tried it and got a black screen, no video. So first question: Does it work with Windows 7 at all?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 12:40:34 pm »

We don't generally test with Windows 7 any longer, since it's out of support by Microsoft and will no longer receive future updates.
What I would recommend to test would be disabling hardware accelerated decoding, because I know for sure that won't work on Windows 7.

Otherwise, open a new thread and attach logs (individual support should be kept out of these central threads), maybe we can see something simple and obvious. But there are no guarantees that it will work on 7.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

audunth

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 05:22:27 am »

Thanks, Hendrik.

I disabled Hardware Acceleration when possible (which was on) and restarted the computer (which I hadn't done since installing 28) but it didn't work. Will make a new thread.  :)
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 10:36:12 am »

28.0.86 is coming soon with quite a bunch of JRVR changes

NEW: HDR10 pass-through with Red October JRVR.
NEW: Support for 10-bit output with Red October JRVR.

You can now pass-through HDR10 on Windows (and theoretically on Linux when using Vulkan, but its harder to test). JRVR will pass both the original HDR10 data (converted to RGB, naturally), as well as the HDR10 metadata to your TV, so hopefully we'll get accurate HDR10 rendering.

HDR10 pass-through is only available if the HDR option in Windows is enabled. To make that process easier, there is a separate option available to toggle Windows HDR when playing a HDR file.
That process is not quite seamless, and can feel as disruptive as changing the resolution, hence it needs to be explicitly enabled. If you are on Windows 11 already, it might be easier to keep it enabled at all times and tweak the SDR to HDR conversion to your liking, if possible.

To make HDR10 work properly, JRVR now also supports 10-bit output on Windows, which can also be enabled for SDR. We may automate that in the future if we can either figure out that your display is actually 10-bit, or we let you configure the display bit depth, but for now you can enable 10-bit SDR in the Advanced settings.

How do you know if 10-bit output is on and working, or HDR pass-through is on?

NEW: Added an information on-screen display to JRVR (Ctrl-J to toggle).

You can now press Ctrl-J to show an information display on the video, which shows video properties, as well as the output mode. Performance metrics are not currently included (queue size, renderering time), as we first need to implement measuring them. Note that Ctrl-J is not a "global" hotkey, and if its not working, make sure you focus the video window, for example by clicking onto it.

And finally, to also help testing and comparison, forwards frame-stepping is now supported in JRVR.

NEW: Support for Frame-Stepping (Shift-Right Arrow in Pause) with Red October JRVR.

Note that this update includes a big change to the internal architecture and some dependencies, so please keep an eye out for any new breakage, so we can deal with it!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 10:44:02 am »

Nice! So HDR on Linux could also possibly work. That's great news.

ctrl-j is used to check new MC version. Is it now changed or does it still do both? As MadVR also uses ctrl-j for OSD maybe it would make sense to change update check to some other shortcut

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 10:50:00 am »

Yes, HDR pass-through on Linux should "theoretically" work, in practice that may be another can of worms. We'll work on Linux-specific improvements and more thorough testing and tweaking as development progresses, for now all I know is that we instruct Vulkan to render in HDR as well as pass the metadata. How this integrates with the compositor or X11 on Linux, we'll have to figure out, I suppose. I'm being told X11 and HDR won't cooperate. So maybe Wayland or DRM (Direct Rendering) might be required. Linux is unfortunately a bit behind on the video front here, and this can get complicated fast.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 12:50:19 pm »

Nice! So HDR on Linux could also possibly work. That's great news.

ctrl-j is used to check new MC version. Is it now changed or does it still do both? As MadVR also uses ctrl-j for OSD maybe it would make sense to change update check to some other shortcut
We've used ctrl-j for updates since before madVR existed.  We're not going to change that.  It works with madVR when the madVR display is up.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 01:49:22 pm »

V86 looks good so far (just a quick 5 min test) with HDR passthrough and OSD info.  Will test tonight and post in the testing thread.  Will be interesting to see how the NUCs go in this mode
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2021, 12:42:38 pm »

Build 86 added the following:

NEW: HDR10 pass-through with Red October JRVR.
NEW: Support for 10-bit output with Red October JRVR.
NEW: Added an information on-screen display to JRVR (Ctrl-J to toggle).
NEW: Support for Frame-Stepping (Shift-Right Arrow in Pause) with Red October JRVR.

It's at the top of this board.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 08:59:44 am »

Coming in Build 90, we implemented SuperRes Enhancement, a filter to refine the image after upscaling, which increases sharpness and reduces scaling artifacts, like ringing or aliasing.
While the filter can feel rather subtle, it definitely helps to produce a sharper image, and is the first custom shader we're using, so it also serves as a test for other custom shaders in the future, primarily more advanced scaling implementations.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

~:Eternal Themer:~

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Sound To The Max Baby!
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2021, 09:35:29 am »

JR is much stronger now! and when JRVR gets all the goodies will be become unstoppable!
|Topping D90SE - Topping A90|
|AirPulse A300 - Sennheiser HD 820|

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2021, 12:25:44 pm »

In build 92, JRVR will introduce support for more advanced scaling algorithms. These are specialized in scope, and can only apply to either the Luma (brightness) or Chroma (color) channel of video, as well as only exactly double the resolution. Hence, they are also often referred to as Image Doublers, or sometimes pre-scalers, as they come before the final scaling to the target resolution.

For Luma, we are introducing 2 new algorithms:

- RAVU (Rapid and Accurate Video Upscaling), a balanced image scaler with decent performance, especially on modern GPUs which support Compute. This is a safe default most people with any dedicated graphics card can likely run, and it produces quite good results.
- FSRCNNX, in an 8 neuron and 16 neuron configuration. "Fast Super-Resolution Convolutional Neural Network" is an advanced scaler based on a deep neural network, which rivals other state-of-the-art upscaling algorithms. Of course quality comes at a cost, and running FSRCNNX requires rather good hardware - especially the 16 neuron variant.

It should be noted that SuperRes introduced in build 90 is a strong contender in this field as well. SuperRes combined with Jinc or Lanczos comes very close to the quality of RAVU, while being more flexible.

For Chroma, we now support a specialized Chroma scaler, Bilateral scaling. Bilateral uses the Luma information as a guide to upscale the Chroma signal, which works especially well for relatively clean sources, like any high-quality video.
Since practically every video we watch requires Chroma upscaling, this algorithm should not be ignored, even if Chroma has overall a smaller impact on the image quality.

To properly judge the performance with these new algorithms, the Ctrl-J Info OSD will now show performance metrics on the rendering performance. Do note however that metrics measured in runtime are not 100% fool proof, as graphics cards like to change their speed dynamically to match the workload given, so we recommend to keep that in mind when evaluating this new information.

These enhancements bring us ever closer to our goals of high image quality and state of the art features, and proper scalability from low-end to high-end hardware, with new algorithms now that can make use of your hardware if you have it - but of course all optional at no extra performance cost to those who don't.

By default, none of these new algorithms are activated, so check them out in the JRVR settings! For anyone feeling overwhelmed by the JRVR settings already, do not fear, we are thinking of you. As a first step, we plan to introduce performance presets which let you select a set of pre-selected settings on a range of Quality vs Speed to match to your hardware, without needing to dig into a dozen or so settings. But its important that we introduce many of the settings first that would be driven by these presets, so hang on for a bit longer!

We're also working on a JRVR support page on the wiki to explain the options in more detail, more on that soon!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

~:Eternal Themer:~

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Sound To The Max Baby!
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2021, 02:01:41 am »

sounds awsome! cant wait to test it out!!!!!!!
|Topping D90SE - Topping A90|
|AirPulse A300 - Sennheiser HD 820|

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2021, 03:50:54 am »

These are really great news. Wow. Thanks, Hendrik, for all the work :) This'll be interesting to test. Maybe, I finally give JRVR a test drive once that new build is out for the public. Cool 8)
END OF LINE.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2021, 07:36:48 am »

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2021, 01:13:45 pm »

28.0.92 is available now:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,131406.0.html
Cool, thanks :) Installed! Testing is planned to start tomorrow! Just briefly browsed through the options and started a DVD to check it's working (and it is).

@Hendrik:
Is there a way to reset the statistics in the JRVR overlay (CTRL+J), like in madVR (I think it was CTRL+R that did the reset)? I forgot to test that before switching off the machine, but will look into that tomorrow too.

Everything else will be posted in the JRVR testing thread of course.
END OF LINE.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2022, 07:42:38 pm »

When using JRVR, the Color Controls are disabled - is this expected behaviour?

If I switch to Standard or HQ, I can use the controls the usual way.

Dazed and Confused

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2022, 06:55:34 pm »

Wondering when playback of rotated videos will be included in JRVR.

Thanks.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2022, 02:29:59 am »

I have updated the JRVR changes in the second post in this thread with all changes from MC29, to provide a full list of changes specifically for JRVR. Since the release of MC29 we've been focused on polishing and fixing reported glitches, but new features are on their way. The next topic we plan to address is calibration with ICC profiles and/or 3DLUTs.

To answer the last few posts in this thread:
- Ctrl-R is now supported to reset statistics
- Rotated videos are now supported
- Color Controls are not currently supported, but we'll look into adding those in a future update
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2022, 05:04:48 am »

The next topic we plan to address is calibration with ICC profiles and/or 3DLUTs.

Excellent! ;D

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2022, 02:38:05 am »

Are there any plans to tonemap/re-encode DV videos for remotes to get correct colors also over MCWS?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2022, 03:16:38 am »

In the next JRVR update, output settings are moving to a per-display basis, as that makes a lot more sense when you are configuring settings that reflect the properties of a screen, and not performance or quality.

In that process, I ended up with an empty title screen above the possible outputs, and a thought was to include some rough hints on the most major output settings.

Let me know what you think, or if I should change some of the text in some manner. Explaining something you know by heart in a short sequence is always tricky.

Are there any plans to tonemap/re-encode DV videos for remotes to get correct colors also over MCWS?

Perhaps in the future, there are quite some challenges there, but thats not a JRVR topic.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rec head

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2022, 08:12:06 am »

Nice work. I think it is pretty clear.

Is it possible to make "Enable OS HDR Support when playing HDR10" a link to a wiki page or even an outside page?  A nice guide on how to do it might reduce questions and confusion. A link to a good Youtube video might be the best.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2022, 02:59:04 am »

Work on improving/simplifying the options dialog continues, here is the new "General" page, as well as the re-done Output page (with advanced mode disabled)

Generally, I tried to hide options that are not required for basic usage, leaving only those important enough for most people to touch.
Advanced Mode will generally show those options which existed before that are currently hidden, as well as possibly convert some options for more control - eg. the brightness slider will turn into a textbox.

I debated with myself to hide Calibration entirely under advanced, however I would like ICC profiles to be applied by default, and if that is unexpected for someone, having the option right there to disable it seems important.

PS:
The Presets on the General page will be implemented in a follow-up build, but I wanted to get the options in to give that page its full design.

PPS:
The brightness slider currently goes from 80 to 400, which seemed like a good default brightness range for HDR to SDR tonemapping to me. Feel free to comment if the range should be increased - but also remember that in advanced mode its a textbox like before.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2022, 04:08:19 am »

WOW - that looks terrific!  Not only nicely laid out but is so much more accessible.  Also a good description of the functions.

I love how you have automatically determined if the screen is both HDR capable and if it is already in HDR Mode, a couple of suggestions
  - if the screen is NOT HDR capable, should the two HDR options below it be greyed out?
  - if Use the display's HDR capability for HDR videos is Unchecked, should the "Automatically switch to HDR mode..." be greyed out.

Also like the look of Quality Presents as this will cover most cases yet still have advanced for twiddling.

Keeping ICC profiles outside advanced makes sense. 

That range for the SDR brightness slider should be OK... there might be some PJ's under 80, but I doubt there are many (if any) SDR screens hitting 400.  I presume under advanced, you can type in any value.

JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2022, 04:18:40 am »

I love how you have automatically determined if the screen is both HDR capable and if it is already in HDR Mode, a couple of suggestions
  - if the screen is NOT HDR capable, should the two HDR options below it be greyed out?
  - if Use the display's HDR capability for HDR videos is Unchecked, should the "Automatically switch to HDR mode..." be greyed out.

1) No, I don't want to entirely rely on the detection to lock out the option
2) Yes, I think thats how it works right now as well
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2022, 04:20:48 am »

I think a number of older PJs would be under 80, perhaps take it down to 40 or 50?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2022, 06:47:21 am »

1) No, I don't want to entirely rely on the detection to lock out the option
2) Yes, I think thats how it works right now as well

1) OK, Makes sense
2) In the screen shot, "Use the display's HDR capability for HDR videos" is Unchecked but "Automatically switch to HDR mode..." is not greyed out (and is checked)?  Should it not be greyed out? 
JRiver CEO Elect

Smack

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2022, 11:45:57 am »

I think a number of older PJs would be under 80, perhaps take it down to 40 or 50?

That's correct. My epson Laser pj has only 55 nits. So this would be good if the scale would begin at around 50 nits.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2022, 01:57:25 pm »

I changed the scale to start at 60. You probably don't want to actually set it that low even on a low-brightness projector, as it really starts crushing even normal bright details to limit the brightness range, instead leave it a bit higher and give up shadow details.

Advanced Mode lets you input an actual number though, down to 10, at which the image looks really broken.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2022, 02:56:56 am »

As the initially planned list of features is near completion, here is your chance to talk about what features you would like to see next.

Major points that have been discussed before:
- Profiles are still a consideration, although with the simplified options and general efficiency, it feels like its less mandatory. Happy to take opinions and use-cases on that to influence the design of the solution here.
- Projector-specific improvements? I'm not a projector owner, so if you are one of those, some detailed requirements would be nice.
- Anything we entirely missed so far?

Let us know, so we can plan ahead for the next bigger features we work on.

Please note, this is specifically about JRVR, that is video rendering only. General playback issues should be adressed in their own threads.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

murray

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2022, 03:30:09 am »

As the initially planned list of features is near completion, here is your chance to talk about what features you would like to see next.

- Profiles are still a consideration, although with the simplified options and general efficiency, it feels like its less mandatory. Happy to take opinions and use-cases on that to influence the design of the solution here.
- Projector-specific improvements? I'm not a projector owner, so if you are one of those, some detailed requirements would be nice.

I am a projector owner JVC NX9 with a 150" curved scope screen. I really think it would be nice to see some enhancement options like madvr has. When you have a really large screen to be able to add some enhancements to sharpen slightly really helps... Of course on a 55" Oled or similar one just doesn’t need enhancements probably.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2022, 03:52:53 am »

Split Blu-ray related questions here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,133027.0.html

Lets keep this topic to JRVR specific topics, that is video rendering only. Separate threads can be used for other video playback questions or requests. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2022, 05:20:46 am »

When you have a really large screen to be able to add some enhancements to sharpen slightly really helps...

Those who have a projector but above all a large screen, in addition to better sharpness, would also like frame interpolation because in scenes with horizontal panning the image is sometimes annoying.
My Epson, as known, has frame interpolation only up to 1080p and not for 4K so it would be nice if there was this possibility with JRVR.
I already know that you have said several times that it is not in the programs at the moment, but if it was possible, I think many will thank you :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2022, 04:55:53 pm »

I'd be interested in what JRVR could do with SDR --> HDR tonemapping for those with HDR on all the time in Windows 11 (I presume JRVR would be better than Windows 11)
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2022, 05:05:56 pm »

Profiles:  I was using madVR profiles on my mid range 1660Ti to split the Upscaling algo's based on FPS ( eg Higher Settings < 31fps > Lower Settings) to prevent dropped frames on higher FPS material.  In my testing the same applies on the JRVR in that I can use FSRCNNX16 with 23.976/24/29.97 but only FSRCNNX8 with 48/50/59.94fps material.  If such an option existed in JRVR, I'd use it..... but I also have no complaints on running FSRCNNX8 and this is to a 125" PJ (but more is "better" right!!!)
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2022, 05:47:45 pm »

For projector use I still use madvr as it has settings that JRVR doesnt have, I would like to see enhancements and profiles, this is an example.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2022, 11:27:24 am »

I'd be interested in what JRVR could do with SDR --> HDR tonemapping for those with HDR on all the time in Windows 11 (I presume JRVR would be better than Windows 11)

That would be very interesting!
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2022, 11:31:55 am »

Please note, this is specifically about JRVR, that is video rendering only. General playback issues should be adressed in their own threads.

Since I use bitstreaming for all of my 4k videos which most have Atmos in them, I can't use JRVR at this point because I get dropped frames, which I think is due to not being able to use Video Clock when bitstreaming. In madvr I don't get any noticeable dropped frames because you can custom tune the refresh rate to the monitor and it works with bitstreaming. So maybe that is something that JRVR can work on in the future.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2022, 04:56:41 pm »

Tuning your refresh rate is independent of which renderer you use. You can do it with a few external  tools or eg. the Nvidia control panel.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up