INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Split View / Tabs  (Read 642 times)

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Split View / Tabs
« on: September 04, 2023, 08:10:31 am »

When I select View, "Split View" is not one of the choices available (which according to Help should be).  Where is it?

I also have never been able to open a second tab.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
Re: SPlit View / Tabs
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 09:41:15 am »

You must activate it via: Options/General/Features/Split View (and then tick the checkbox)

To open a 2nd tab (and 3rd, 4th... 10th tab) middle-click any item in the left-hand tree to create a new tab of that item. Also, there is a little "stub" next to the last tab on the right - clicking on that creates a new blank tab.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 07:48:23 pm »

Appreciate it.  Figured it was hidden somewhere.

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 09:40:22 pm »

Since the topic of split view settings was brought up... I have been trying to find a way to sort left and right side differently (in other words, left side sorted by title, right side sorted by date imported... just as an example).  Is it possible to do this?  Every time I sort one, it changes both.  It seems like different sorting on each side would be one of the main benefits of this feature.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 12:04:19 am »

Every time I sort one, it changes both.  It seems like different sorting on each side would be one of the main benefits of this feature.

Selecting sort from the tab's drop-down menu defines how that particular view tab is to be sorted, which is why both split view panels change simultaneously.

To change one side only, just click on column header(s) that has the field you want to sort on.  This temporarily changes how a given tab's view is sorted.  Click the refresh button on the left side of the tab bar to return to the tab's defined sorting.

If you want to sort on a field that isn't shown, right-click on a column header, and the context menu will show every single field available that you can add to the columns displayed.

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 12:57:21 am »

If you are in a thumbnail view, though, which is how I have my movies set up, there's no column header.  Is there another way?

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
Re: Split View / Tabs
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023, 03:23:12 am »

Yes and no. 

There is no way to quickly temporarily sort a thumbnail view (that I'm aware of anyway) in the same way as a list view.  You would first have to change the view to list, click on the column header to change the sort, and then switch back to thumbnail... Not very convenient.

Another approach, also far from ideal, is to create thumbnail views with different defined sorting, and then place the 2 differently sorted tabs you want to compare on each side of the split.  If you have lots of different views with lots of different ways you want to compare the sorting, this quickly becomes unmanageable.

FYI… You can quickly swap between thumbnails and list views via built-in MC hotkeys (https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Keyboard_Hot-keys)

Thumbnails: Ctrl+Shift+O           List: Ctrl+Shift+I

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 04:56:40 am »

@HPBEME,
most helpful thanks,
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2023, 10:07:08 am »

Hmm... it seems like just adding some kind of independent sorting options to the split screen view would be a good solution.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2023, 10:21:55 am »

Hmm... it seems like just adding some kind of independent sorting options to the split screen view would be a good solution.
You can always create new thread to specifically ask for that to be incorporated as a new feature request.

@HPBEME,
most helpful thanks,
Your Welcome. I'm sure Drybonz also meant to say thanks for the useful information provided above, but just forgot.

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2023, 11:26:25 am »

Oops... sorry, I thought you were doing it because you just enjoy helping people and not for the mandatory praise.  Thanks for answering my question.

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2023, 11:47:53 am »

Yeah... I usually am really good about thanking people and DID actually just forget.  This is the first time, I think, I have ever been scolded on an internet forum, by a presumably grown man, for forgetting to type thank you in response to an answered question... which does bring me to another suggestion.  Maybe add a "like" button so people don't feel like all their goodwill is overlooked.  Apparently, feelings are easily bruised and just having to click a button makes it much easier and then no one feels left out.  Again, I just want to say thank you for answering my question.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2023, 11:57:17 am »

Your sincerity sets you free.  Thanks for taking a moment to breathe.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2023, 12:19:41 pm »

Your follow-up to Jim's response was basically fine until this point…

by a presumably grown man
SMH.  Would it have been so hard to respond... "sorry about that… Absolutely, thanks for the help"?

As I typically do, I put substantial effort into crafting thorough replies. I take great care to make sure it is extremely clear so it won't be misconstrued.  This is not something that takes only a couple of minutes - each post took 15 minutes or so with multiple re-readings and re-edits and checking my response against MC behavior - all to make sure my replies were as comprehensive and informative as possible, as well as ensuring they are correct.

In that regard, clearly it succeeded, as MusicBringer, who was not even part of the thread, found the information so useful he felt compelled to offer his thanks.

Regardless… this was not about easily bruised feelings. This was about how such efforts often go un-thanked, not replies by just me, but other MC users who also go out of their way to spend their personal time to answer other user's questions. I guess this morning was a boiling over point for me personally. As Jim H said… manners matter.

As for "mandatory praise"? praise and thanks have entirely different meanings.  No need to reply unless you wish to do so… I consider it resolved.

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2023, 12:26:33 pm »

Literally, the first time in a couple decades online that a person has gone so far out of their way to make a point that I did not thank them for answering a question.  For your carefully crafted responses... I thank you, sir.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2023, 12:30:57 pm »

I appreciate your following-up… Thank you.

Now back to my day job that is the primary source of my extreme agitated state of late… Working 60+ hour weeks for the last 3 months has taken its toll.

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2023, 12:40:08 pm »

Working 60+ hour weeks for the last 3 months has taken its toll.

That will do it... I wish you a peaceful vacation some time in the near future.    :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up