INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRVR issues with HDR Passthrough [All these fixed with a 4xxx GPU from build 55]  (Read 5117 times)

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Yes, I absolutely do split them. All my devices are connected to the VRROOM.  My receiver is 2.0a and doesn't support eARC.  So that's connected through HDMI out on the VRROOM and no video is passed to it.  Audio to the display is muted so it's only receiving a pure video signal.  This setup works extremely well for me.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team

Thanks both.  Interesting and something to research.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen

Just to say that I tested the latest nVidia studio driver 565.99 and if doesn't seem to drop frames with HDR passthrough, so it might be an option for some.

Unfortunately, my long Atmos freezes/drops are back with that branch, irrespective of the frame rate, so I'm back with 546.65. No frame drops in HDR passthrough, and only occasional micro audio drop (usually at most one per film, if any), as long as I'm in 4K119 (I haven't tested at 4K23 with 546.65).

It's annoying, but far less of an issue than the 3-5 seconds long freezes/drops that I get with more recent (and older) drivers, where the picture freezes for like 150-250 frames, I have no sound for that duration, then trhe picture catches up and I get the sound back. One is a slight annoyance, the other a dealbreaker.

I really wish that nVidia could get rid of this issue once and for all.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

Saves me the time to test it myself.  :)  I'm sticking to the same driver for the moment until a new game requires a newer one.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen

Saves me the time to test it myself.  :)  I'm sticking to the same driver for the moment until a new game requires a newer one.

Do you also have the long Atmos drops? If not, the latest driver might be an option for you. Many people with the same GPU (3090) don't have this issue with Atmos.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

Oh yes, I have the ATMOS issue with other drivers.  it drives me nuts.  3080 on my machine.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen

Oh yes, I have the ATMOS issue with other drivers.  it drives me nuts.  3080 on my machine.

Ah, sorry but good to know. Do you also have the micro audio drops (up to one per film) with 546.65?

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

Yup.  I tend to get more than one usually 3 or 4 depending on the length of the film.  But they are there.  Definitely not as bad as the complete dropouts in other drivers.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen

Yup.  I tend to get more than one usually 3 or 4 depending on the length of the film.  But they are there.  Definitely not as bad as the complete dropouts in other drivers.

Good to know that our setup seems similarly afflicted, even if I'd prefer for you not have the issue. Indeed, it means that we can save each other's time! Please let me know if you ever find a way to fully fix it. I'll do the same...

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

Yea definitely.  Will do.  I'm using my HTPC less and less these days for the reasons we already discussed so it's not as big of an issue anymore.  But it would be nice to solve it regardless.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen

Thanks for the new option to enable HDR early.

I've installed build 55, enabled the new option in setings/video/display, and disabled OS HDR.

I'm getting the following results with driver 546.65, playing a 4,000nits title (Pacific Rim) with a 1050nits target for HDR to HDR using BD folders and full menus (my default frame rate is 119p, so there is no refresh rate change) full screen:

- I always get the correct peak of 1050nits for the main title, but I still get empty/desktop metadata on the menu itself on occasions. It might be a VRROOM issue, so let's ignore that.
- It takes a lot longer for the picture to display after the HDMI resync when HDR is enabled, even though playback has started (I can hear the sound). At least 10 seconds, up to a minute. Usually the TV goes past the black screen and to a "can't get signal" screen. I never had this issue before. Note: I get the same long sync time when switching to HDR in the OS manually, so if JRVR is simply doing this automatically this is normal in my setup, but when I use OS HDR it only happens once, it's not before each title so it's less noticeable.
- If I disable the new option in the display settings, I don't get the correct metadata (1050nits) but NV HDR is enabled in a few seconds, as was the case previously.
- Either way, if I switch between HDR passthough and HDR to HDR while playing content using the menus, the correct metadata is still not sent (it should switch between 1050nits and 4,000nits) even after I close the settings. I haven't tried doing this with profiles because there is no way AFAIK to assign a profile to a hotkey.

If I enabled OS HDR before I start playback, the correct metadata is sent (1050nits) right away, as expected. However JRVR still doesn't send the correct metadata when you switch between HDR passthough and HDR to HDR, even after I close the settings.

Anyone getting different results? Does using the new option in display settings also significantly increase your HDMI sync going from SDR to HDR?

Although I'm very grateful for the new option, it's not usable here from a practical point of view, so I'm back to enabling OS HDR permanently, which also has the advantage of not causing any HDMI resync for 23p HDR titles if the default/desktop is set to 4K119p (or 4K23).

I thought about it and I don't think it's possible for JRVR to switch between HDR and SDR when the OS HDR is enabled, so I don't think there is a way for JRVR to bring SDR 3D LUT back when OS HDR is enabled.

As my current display is accurate enough in SDR without a 3D LUT and given that SDR played as HDR works fine since build 49, I'll therefore keep using the workaround of enabling OS HDR all the time.

However, is there a way to correct the wrong metadata that is sent when switching during playback between HDR to HDR and HDR passthrough? Or is this considered an edge use case that doesn't need fixing, as most people (including myself) would not switch between these modes during playback, except for testing the improvements brought by HDR to HDR tonemapping?

Hendrik

• Administrator

However, is there a way to correct the wrong metadata that is sent when switching during playback between HDR to HDR and HDR passthrough? Or is this considered an edge use case that doesn't need fixing, as most people (including myself) would not switch between these modes during playback, except for testing the improvements brought by HDR to HDR tonemapping?

JRVR always hands the correct metadata to Windows, if it changes every frame, or once in a settings change. It would be up to Windows to update the metadata send to the display - which it might not do, since HDR metadata like this is designed to be static, not dynamic.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Manni

• Galactic Citizen

JRVR always hands the correct metadata to Windows, if it changes every frame, or once in a settings change. It would be up to Windows to update the metadata send to the display - which it might not do, since HDR metadata like this is designed to be static, not dynamic.

Thanks. I checked and it's the same with madVR, so nothing worse with JRVR. Most likely the OS that doesn't update. I agree that these are not supposed to change.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen

Happy to confirm that 555.99 doesn't drop frames in HDR passthrough (or HDR to HDR). I have also found a couple of workarounds to the Atmos audio dropouts, but as this issue isn't specific to HDR passthrough, I've created a new thread to discuss it: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,139110.0.html.

If you experience the Atmos audio dropouts issue with a 3xxx GPU when going through an HDMI 2.1 AVR, please provide data and contribute.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

I'll update my driver at some point when I get a minute. That's good to know.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen

I'll update my driver at some point when I get a minute. That's good to know.
Make sure you make a system image before you do so. I only had micro Atmos dropout with 546.65, I got the long freezes again with the new driver and wasn’t able to get just the micro drop outs when I reverted to 546.65 (even after a clean install). The new driver has no frame drops in HDR passthrough, but it’s only usable because of the 8bit workaround I mention in the other post.
I could go back to my last system image if I wanted to, so make sure you have one.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

Maybe I'll just leave it alone for now.  LOL

Manni

• Galactic Citizen

Maybe I'll just leave it alone for now.  LOL

You could still test the two partial workarounds with 546.65 and report back if you don’t want to try the latest.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

You could still test the two partial workarounds with 546.65 and report back if you don’t want to try the latest.

I intend to.  Just need to find time.  This is going to be a very busy summer and time is going to be more limited for HTPC projects than I'd like.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen

I intend to.  Just need to find time.  This is going to be a very busy summer and time is going to be more limited for HTPC projects than I'd like.

No worries, I understand. Let's discuss in the other thread.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen

Just to say that I've done some testing with the 1080ti and the latest 555.99 driver and the correct metadata is never sent with HDR to HDR, whether the new option in display settings is selected or not, and whether OS ODR is selected or not before playback.

Same with HDR passthrough. The HDR metadata is always empty.

When the new option is enabled, the HDMI sync isn't longer as with the 3090, but it as no effect.

I'll try with the 4080 super tomorrow, let's hope it works otherwise I'll try to revert back to 546.65

Manni

• Galactic Citizen

I've received the 4080 Super and I'm happy to report that HDR metadat works fine with it in all situations. Plus, when OS HDR is disabled before playback, HDMI sync only takes a normal 3-5 secs, as expected, so that's entirely usable in order restore 3D LUT feature with SDR content.

I'll guess I'll set the OS HDR depending on what I'm watching primarily (HDR most of the time and SDR if watching an SDR TV Series or something).

Anyway, this is HDR metadata issue can be considered fully fixed with a recent 4xxx GPU. I assume that what I experience now is what Hendrik was experiencing.

Really weird that some GPUs behave differently in this regard, and can be as bad as the 1080ti, ie no HDR metadata ever.

This, along with the fact that the 1080ti started to display frequent and intermittent sparkles makes me less guilty about getting the 4080 super.

Happy to report that there are no frame drops with HDR passthrough with the 4080 super with the latest 555.99 driver.

Will now test the Atmos dropouts and will report back in the other thread.

[EDIT 22-jun-24: I've edited the first post and title to reflect the fact that all these issues are resolved with a 4xxx GPU]
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up