Devices > JRiver Id -- Hardware by JRiver

POLL: Would you consider the JRiver Synapse (a PC to TV connection device)?

<< < (9/11) > >>

benn600:
I've got a lot of HTPCs around the house and would definitely appreciate a smaller, quieter box in several locations.  Even the quietest of them I can still hear and it still annoys me.  I would like truly silent if possible.  And of course what I've got now is setup and working--all are decent computers which can definitely play DVD quality content without trouble.

runemail:
Voted maybe.
Have built my own Htpcs for the last 5 years, pretty happy with my current g45/c2d e8400 combo. Not a big fan of recording tv, or tv in general. Control my Htpc with a mouse, and type on a keyboard(Apple Wireless (small and good looking)). Big fan of coach surfing ;)
I basically run only 3 apps on my htpc: MC13, firefox and rdp. Sometimes i run spotify, but so far I like MC with the last.fm dj plugin better.

What I would like:

Small case that looks good, should fit in with existing av equipment, slim (1u?), wall mountable, no display or bright leds. Just on/off switch and a coule of USB connections in the front.(More "Apple" and less "Dell" than the unit pictured in the first post)
Base config could be a small itx motheboard with a dualcore (intel) cpu. Perhaps Intel DG45FC with a e7200 or maybe an nvida ion with some kind of dualcore atom will be enough?
External powerbrick, 2,5" hardrive, bluetooth and 802.11n.
I personally only need hdmi, 4+ USB, gigabit ethernet and at least one eSata in the back, but some analouge out for a/v would be nice as well.
Optional extras: Hot swapable 3,5" drive, blue ray drive and tuners/cable card(s).

mojave:
Have you looked at the Popcorn Hour products? They are similar to what you are suggesting for MC. I have heard that they are great for most audio and video media, but that the interface isn't the greatest. If MC could provide the interface for one of these devices, or make something similar, I would either buy it or recommend it to anyone that doesn't really need the expense of an HTPC.

runemail:

--- Quote from: mojave on January 20, 2009, 02:07:32 pm ---Have you looked at the Popcorn Hour products? They are similar to what you are suggesting for MC. I have heard that they are great for most audio and video media, but that the interface isn't the greatest. If MC could provide the interface for one of these devices, or make something similar, I would either buy it or recommend it to anyone that doesn't really need the expense of an HTPC.

--- End quote ---

I know about them, pretty basic interface. Buggy software, slow. Not kind of user experince I would like to have every day. Expensive for what they do, imho. They may improve over the next generations, but it will never be a HTPC. Can't live without my browser...

ubernode54:
I have many friends who have families who would love something like this. The only thing I think it might lack would be a PVR feature. That would round it right out.

Oh, and I would recommend an embedded version of Windows if that's the route you go. An embedded Linux would be even better.

Thoughts of running these with the Atom processor? Should be able to do everything just fine. Seen that video of one playing Crysis?!?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version