INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locking a pane (e.g. for playing now)  (Read 1738 times)

enigman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • thinking...
Locking a pane (e.g. for playing now)
« on: May 03, 2009, 12:45:45 pm »

Hi,

Is there any way to lock a particular pane so that it does not get focus and cannot be easily changed?

I'd love to be able to have a permanent playing now pane, but a couple of problems prevent this:

1) Pane views seem to get reset when MC is closed, requiring the pane to be reset to playing now every time I load MC (a pain in the pane)
2) It remains quite easy to accidentally give focus to the 2nd pane (which I have set up as playing now), and thereby replace it by accident with whatever other view I've clicked on.

I wouldn't think either of these would be that hard to implement as a feature, and would add a great deal to user experience. The playing now is one of the best features not present in iTunes (and one of the things my friends immediately pick up on when they see media center) - it would be great to make it even more easy to use than it is now!

Thanks

muchadhesion

• Recent member
Re: Locking a pane (e.g. for playing now)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 06:02:46 pm »

Lock a pane?  Yes please...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51223.0

I'm forever accidentally overwriting my "Playing Now" view (that I'd like to be permanent) with something or other.

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 11:29:09 pm »

I concur.

Also, there should be a way to lock the search to a specific pane. I never want to search in my playing now, but sometimes when it happens to be active... Well, it's annoying!
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 05:31:18 am »

Yes please... It's so annoying to loose Playing Now content again and again.

I do not want to hide the tree and use the tab pulldown for changing views.
It's baffling compared to tree usage.

There's also too less horizontal space in split views to assign a tab to every view.

It would be so much nicer to have a simple lock or a similar solution at least for Playing Now.

This has been asked for ages, here are a few examples:

- Split Views--Am I Just Too Old For This?
- MC11 Split View "Lock" Feature?
- Avoid accidental changing of wrong split view: "Tree Target Selector"
- How to fix split views to view schemes? 
- MC11: Split View Suggestion
- MC12 to MC13 migration usability/feature requests
- Split view lock options
- Idea: a fixed/docked "Playing Now" view in Split View
- Idea: MC12 Requests and MC12 Forum
- Preserving Media Center screen layout

I really can not imagine chances are against it... C'mon!

enigman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • thinking...
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 06:12:45 am »

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue!

So c'mon people, who else wants this feature?
C'mon JRiver, how about implementing it!  ;D

Just out of curiosity, how are people using split view other than for a not-as-permanent-as-I-would-like Playing Now?

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 07:07:24 am »

It have been mentioned a lot. It's the only reason many of us don't use this feature. It's a shame. Now that I have Full HD PJ I'd like to use it very much.

Locking a view, and setting the search function to one view is a must imo. I also strongly hope that the link search system today could be fixed to open up results in a "not locked" view. In other words; be able to search IMDB movies for example from playing now, with the result in the second column.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 12:35:28 pm »

Reading through the OP's post and i was confused, what he means to say is 'split view' instead of pane.

So lets see how it reads..

Hi,

Is there any way to lock a particular 'split view' so that it does not get focus and cannot be easily changed?

I'd love to be able to have a permanent playing now 'split view', but a couple of problems prevent this:

1) 'split view' views seem to get reset when MC is closed, requiring the 'split view' to be reset to playing now every time I load MC (a pain in the splitz(?))
2) It remains quite easy to accidentally give focus to the 2nd 'split view' (which I have set up as playing now), and thereby replace it by accident with whatever other view I've clicked on.

I wouldn't think either of these would be that hard to implement as a feature, and would add a great deal to user experience. The playing now is one of the best features not present in iTunes (and one of the things my friends immediately pick up on when they see media center) - it would be great to make it even more easy to use than it is now!

Thanks

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 02:44:19 am »

Would also loving to see that view lock feature added. The question is what is so difficult about its implentation?
Pages: [1]   Go Up