INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Replay Gain in MC15 alter the files ?  (Read 1661 times)

3rik

• Recent member
Does Replay Gain in MC15 alter the files ?
« on: October 17, 2010, 05:35:06 am »

Hi,

I'd like to know if it alter files (so if I play them with another media player I still have replay gain) or if it is stored somewhere in a MC database (so files are intact) ?

For now I have 2 directories : One for untouched FLAC files, and a second which is a copy of the first one with all my audio files in replay gain.
If files are untouched by MC's replay gain maybe I could delete de second directory to save disk space :)

Thanks !

3rik

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Does Replay Gain in MC15 alter the files ?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 08:44:32 am »

Replay Gain values are stored in the MC library and in the file's tag (if tagging is on).

3rik

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:02:18 am »

Thank You :)

So i can delete one directory ! That's great ! :D

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:57:53 am »

You may want to delete the "untouched" files that don't already have replay gain tags (unless you want to reanalyze them).

To further explain the behavior, MC does not alter the audio content anyhow when replay gain is analyzed. It only adds the replay gain tags if file tagging is enabled. Devices or other programs may be able to use these tags for applying the playback correction. The FLAC tag format of the track gain and peak values was changed in MC14 to be compatible with many other replay gain aware devices and programs. If the files were analyzed with an older MC version the tags must be resaved in order to make them compatible: select the files > right-click > Library Tools > Update Tags (from library).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

3rik

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 10:49:32 am »

Ok :)

If some day I want to remove the replay gain from all my files, how should I do ?

yonkiman

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 11:06:56 am »

If some day I want to remove the replay gain from all my files, how should I do ?

Select all the songs in your library, right-click on one of the selected songs and select "Tag" from the menu, under the Tag pop-up select "Show All Tags", find the replay gain tag, select what's inside the box (should be "[Varies]"), and delete it.  That will delete the tag from the library.  If you want to delete the tag from all the files as well, you need one additional step:  right-click on one of the selected songs again, go to and select Library Tools/Update Tags (from library).  

(Note:  I originally said "Except it doesn't seem to work with MC15 - when I select all the songs and go to the Tag box, it only ever shows the standard 8 or so tags, even when I select "Show All Tags".  Works fine with MC14."  In fact it does work fine with MC15 - there was something wrong with my installation that was fixed by a complete uninstall/re-install of MC15.)

-Fred

3rik

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 11:54:38 am »

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 05:26:03 pm »

Except it doesn't seem to work with MC15 - when I select all the songs and go to the Tag box, it only ever shows the standard 8 or so tags, even when I select "Show All Tags".  Works fine with MC14.

Just to be clear, showing additional tags in the Action Window works fine.  This was a bug specific to Fred's machine, which he has since fixed.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up