INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming to the HP TouchPad works (somewhat) - enhancement request  (Read 4568 times)

kewe65

• World Citizen

I have this device - still on the fence about keeping it, but i keep plugging through its capabilities.

Interestingly, using //serverlocation:52199/webplay in the browser and clicking 'play' on a song loads the device's "Streaming Music Player" and plays that song just fine.   

That in and of itself is interesting because this little streaming 'app' appears to be a component imbedded in the webOS 3.0 operating system for use by 3rd party applications - its NOT visible as a standalone app and I suspect it's not meant to be visible like other apps are because it has no menu options and in the case of webplay shows the cryptic URL to the specific song on a 'card' that shows the player.  It has no controls other than scan back (not skip), scan forward, and pause/play.

I'm hoping MC can take advantage of this and develop further because someone who develops apps for android and webos created this application called kalemsoft media play that appears to leverage this imbedded player into a user interface on the webOS device.  similarly to MC, requires a 'server' application on the PC in order to stream....

It will not play anything more than a single song at a time.  Playing a playlist results in only the first song getting played.

A head-scratcher is why HP didn't enable the "HP Play" application to enable such streaming.  That on top of the double-scratcher why HP decided to have HP Play be 100% dependent on Apple's iTunes software for its library...  go figure..

WebRemote, btw, works flawlessly on the TouchPad - but i expected that to be..

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Streaming to the HP TouchPad works (somewhat) - enhancement request
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 03:18:43 pm »

If it's an Android device, did you try Gizmo?

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 03:19:47 pm »

Its HP's webOS 3.0, not android...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 03:25:01 pm »

So it's Linux based.

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 03:29:28 pm »

you'd probably know that better than I, so I'll just say 'sure'  ;-)    whatever the Pre2, for example, is based on, but next gen OS

moorek

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 12:06:38 pm »

For those lucky enough to have TouchPads :P, there is a new application (free and fee) that works with Media Center.  It's called BHomePro and it's available in the App Store.  You have to setup MC to be a DLNA server.  Run BhomePro and it will find all of your UPnP servers.  Select the MC one that you setup.  You will see (if everything is setup) icons for Audio, Images, Video and Playlists.  Select Playlists (it will show you your MC playlists).  In the upper right corner you'll see a drop down box with three horizontal lines.  Tap that and you can toggle shuffle mode.  Tap on a song in the playlist and it will start streaming.  Gives you album art and info.  You can move forward and back through your playlist.

I also have it play MP4s.  It costs a few bucks but it's worth it.  The free version is limited.

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 03:20:01 pm »

For those lucky enough to have TouchPads :P, there is a new application (free and fee) that works with Media Center.  It's called BHomePro and it's available in the App Store.  You have to setup MC to be a DLNA server.  Run BhomePro and it will find all of your UPnP servers.  Select the MC one that you setup.  You will see (if everything is setup) icons for Audio, Images, Video and Playlists.  Select Playlists (it will show you your MC playlists).  In the upper right corner you'll see a drop down box with three horizontal lines.  Tap that and you can toggle shuffle mode.  Tap on a song in the playlist and it will start streaming.  Gives you album art and info.  You can move forward and back through your playlist.

I also have it play MP4s.  It costs a few bucks but it's worth it.  The free version is limited.

Thanks for that - I will check that out.  I also found an app that will link directly to my mediasmart server called KalemSoft Player...
Pages: [1]   Go Up