INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC16 crashing  (Read 2231 times)

Bengi010

• World Citizen
MC16 crashing
« on: August 15, 2011, 06:52:17 pm »

This past week MC 16 has crashed 28 times.  I use a program called Soluto that monitors these things and though I don't know much about how to use it I see that it blames something called in_flac.dll for every one.  I wish I could figure out how to export all the data it has collected but I can't seem to find a way to do that, sorry.  I can't pinpoint what actions cause the crashing, sometimes it's just skipping a song, trying to add cover art, editting tags, whatever.  I can say that it never crashes spontaneously, it will play music all day so long as I leave it alone.  Below I'll list relevant specs, if I'm missing some crucial info just let me know.  (I did see that there is already a thread addressing this, http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63461.msg424376#msg424376 but couldn't reply to that thread for some reason.  Unlike some of the posters there I do not get bsod or freezing, rather mc16 just closes)

I have updated to the latest build, 16.0.149.

Computer specs are:
Windows 7 professional 64 bit
phenom II 955
ati radeon hd 5770
MS Security essentials anti-virus
Firefox 5 as main browser

file types used:
flac
mp3
m4a
aif
wma
Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                          Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 1000w PSU, Lian-Li PC-B25F ATX Tower,
                                   Dell S2716DG G-Sync Monitor & AOC 2230 Monitor, Corsair Hydro H60 Cooler,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC16 crashing
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 07:17:29 pm »

Try uninstalling Soluto.

Turn on logging in MC/Help.  Check the log to see if you can find "Crash".

If you've installed the old Flac plug-in, please uninstall it.

Security Essentials has been a problem in the past.

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:24:51 pm »

I have turned on logging and caused another crash (by using the cover art quick find in file function) the log has no mention of the word crash (I imported it into word and did a search, no results).  I don't think I installed any flac plugins but how would I check and if I have how do I uninstall it?  As far as Soluto goes I'd rather not uninstall it, it has been running for quite awhile without this issue so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the crashing.  I will however turn it off for awhile just to make sure.
Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 07:00:45 am »

As far as Soluto goes I'd rather not uninstall it, it has been running for quite awhile without this issue so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the crashing.  I will however turn it off for awhile just to make sure.
Uninstalling it would be the best test.

Disable Security Essentials, too.

See the link called "Stability" in my signature for more ideas.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 08:46:45 am »

Security Essentials has been a problem in the past.

I just did a search on "security essentials" and only found returns in this thread. What kind of problems has it given? And any workarounds? I have only had rare crashes, so hasn't been enough to make a fuss about.

If this should be in a different thread I'll be happy to start one.

Thanks,
Rod

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 09:07:01 am »

Try the advanced search.  Here's an example:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59224.0

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 09:26:09 am »

Try the advanced search.  Here's an example:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59224.0

Thanks Jim.  Please see my new thread on Why Two Different Search Methods?

Rod

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 11:25:56 am »

@Bengi010
We have not received a lot of reports of in_flac.dll crashing.

Is there anything special about your FLAC files?  Could you provide a log showing the crash (Help > Logging) to matt at jriver dot com?

Thanks.

@Others
If you have a problem of your own, please start a thread and include as many specific details about the problem as possible.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 01:21:45 pm »

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 08:39:56 pm »

@Matt - I've sent you the log files (does mc really only keep logs for the current and previous instances and erase anything older than 1 crash ago?) 

There is nothing special or odd about my flac files.  The problem persists, mc has become virtually unusable.  Please let me know what I should do.  I will temporarily uninstall soluto and security essentials, but I have to say I honestly don't think either is the issue.  Both were installed long before the crashing began.  Also I consider both, especially essentials, to be important and useful programs so I have no intention of removing them permanently.
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 08:51:07 pm »

Thanks for the logs.  They don't contain the smoking gun words "crashing", so I'm guessing a little.  Send me another crash log if you get one.

At the end of the previous log, the program is tagging:
M:\Music\Moby\Moby\Moby - 03. Yeah.flac

I'm wondering if tag writing for your particular FLAC files is a problem.

There was also some normal looking Media Network traffic.

Could you try disabling tagging in Options > General > Update tags when file info changes.

You could also temporarily disable Media Network (Options > Media network).

If we can figure out which option (if either) fixes the crash, we can go from there.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 09:08:55 pm »

Did as you suggested and crashed 3 times trying to do it.  I sent you the logs.  It's been running a minute or two since I got those turned off, I'll give it a run through to see if I can crash it again in a minute.  As for my tagging it's Folder = artist name, subfolder = album name, file = artist name - track #. song title.   Everything is organized like that, the particular example you cited just happened to be a self title album. 
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23
Pages: [1]   Go Up