INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote, a new native iOS remote for JRiver Media Center  (Read 281240 times)

chirpp

• World Citizen
Re: JRemote, a new native iOS remote for JRiver Media Center
« Reply #600 on: October 05, 2012, 05:11:48 pm »

Here's how mine is setup and working:
Server name : Kitchen
Access Key: (your key in media server)
Address : Inside ip, like 192.168.1.20
port:  The port to run on, let's say 2000

Scroll down to global access and enter your outside ip and port, so 208.208.208.208:2000 as an example

Good luck!
Pete

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #601 on: October 05, 2012, 05:41:57 pm »

Thanks for your reply
 i got it working when adding only the outside adress to a new server.
but now i see the only thing different with your settings is that for the outside address you added the port-number to the address.
(the settings like external ip where filled in automatically)
trying that now it  works. :D

allot of the settings were filled in automatically maybe in a next release of jremote the portnumber that is listed in the settings can also be used for the external ipfield?

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #602 on: October 05, 2012, 10:24:54 pm »

Glad you got it working! It would seem that the external ip would auto pick up the port setting as you suggested. 

Enjoy!

Pete

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #603 on: October 06, 2012, 02:18:20 pm »

Just a follow up on my previous issue.  I ended up finding the bad file(s), even though i am not sure what there issue was.
My music is under Z:\My Music\Artist folders

I started with an empty library, then imported Z:\My Music\a*  through G*.  Then tested with JRemote. It worked, so I removed all files from the library and imported again using Z:\My Music\H*-M*.  And so on.  Eventually found it in a subfolder using this process, and deleted it as I couldn't see why it was a problem file or files.

Thanks to all for advice. 

I am so enjoying using the app without the crashes!

Pete

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #604 on: October 09, 2012, 09:05:25 am »

Have you considered creating another app with only "play here" hard wired so that I could share my music with my kids remotely without them messing with my current playing?
This would be worth some value, perhaps even the $9.99.

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #605 on: October 09, 2012, 10:23:15 pm »

tx,

Play to this device as Default setting doesn't work for you?

How about setting up a different server for them?

-p
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #606 on: October 10, 2012, 08:09:18 am »

That is an expensive solution when an additional app would do the trick.
In using the app, it is very easy to select the wrong place to play and then it messes up the playing of the music originally selected.

pcstockton

« Reply #607 on: October 10, 2012, 09:35:28 am »

i dont see how it costs anything.  Can you not run multiple instances of MC on the same computer?  Couldn't one use a different pot which you setup on the kids iOS device?

Wouldn't it simply be easiest though to simply teach them how to not change Zones?

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #608 on: October 10, 2012, 10:28:59 am »

two points:
Not sure one can and or should run two instances on the same machine....
and Kids will be kids.

It was just a thought, can also be confusing for adults.

pcstockton

« Reply #609 on: October 10, 2012, 10:50:09 am »

do you have another computer anywhere in the house?  If so you can easily share the library and only connect up an instance of JRemote to that.

Just trying to help.

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #610 on: October 10, 2012, 11:54:11 am »

there is an option in the menu to allow multiple instances. if you have it so that the instance they are connected too has just one zone there will be no zone switching possible
I asume you will need a different portnumber for the second server
you could also use webgizmo (http://jriver.com/webgizmo.html) but its still posible to switch zones thi its the first choice you get logging in.

there is also an option in the menu to automatically set JRemote to this device
maybe JRemote could implement a way to lock to the current zone.
(my personal preference would be MC adding the option to control  what individual client can do what like switching zones and witch zones)

pcstockton

« Reply #611 on: October 10, 2012, 12:02:43 pm »

or just have the kids use MyRiver, which it seems you have as well.

I sincerely doubt that LesPaul will create an app just for you.

I still think the easiest option is to simply teach your kids how to NOT change Zones from the default "Play to this device".  If they are smart enough to utilize JRemote I would think they could learn this as well.

-Patrick

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #612 on: October 11, 2012, 08:05:44 am »

Hi -- I currently don't have JRiver or JRemote, but have heard many good things about them. I now use iTunes and the remote app for it on my ipad. Itunes has a nice feature which lets you drop pdf's in playlists. That is helpful for me, since that's how I've copied liner notes for my CD's. Unfortunately, the pdf's only show up in itunes on the computer -- not the remote app, which sort of ruins the whole thing. The last thing I feel like doing is standing in front of my stereo's equipment rack reading the sceen!

So, what I'd like to know is a) will MC let you "associate" pdf documents with playlists or music files and b) will that also work on JRemote's ipad app? Thanks. -- David

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #613 on: October 11, 2012, 12:39:35 pm »

Hi Patrick,
I just tested this as I was curious.  I created a playlist and added a small pdf document to that list.  On my server, it loaded ok. On my remote client running against this server, it loaded ok. On JRemote using my iPhone 3 on the cell network remotely, it does nothing.

On my iPhone I then ran the web interface, Gizmo, against the same server/playlist, and it loaded the image!

I am not aware of a setting within JRemote that would enable this either.

I hope that helps.  Either way you should go with JRiver.  It is light years better than iTunes, IMHO!

Pete

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #614 on: October 12, 2012, 03:29:49 pm »

I hope that helps.  Either way you should go with JRiver.  It is light years better than iTunes, IMHO!

Getting up and getting a CD off the shelve and putting it in a CD player is light years better than iTunes...  :o

Z0001

« Reply #615 on: October 15, 2012, 08:18:53 am »

How can I modify the left hand contents tabs to reflect my music and video library views that I have set up in MC?

Eg in Standard View under Audio I have "Radio Stations" and under video I have mkv and iso lists.

And in Theatre View I have a "Watch List" view and a quick acess "Kids" view list in Video.

Basically I want to retain my View settings when using JRemote.

Thanks

csimon

« Reply #616 on: October 15, 2012, 08:23:22 am »

JRemote uses the Web Services views, i.e. those that Gizmo and Webgizmo use.  So you will have to go into Media Network and set up your views again in that section.  If you already have Standard View views then you're lucky because you can then choose the item "Use view from Standard View" to copy it the Web views, but if you have Theater View or DLNA views that you want to use in JRemote then you will have to set them up from the beginning.

knuta

• Recent member
« Reply #617 on: October 15, 2012, 10:43:39 am »

In one of the latest MC18 updates they have added Shuffle and Repeat to the web services if I understand correctly.

I would love to see buttons implemented in JRemote to take advantage of this. One of the very few things I'm missing.

Also I've found that all my music is shown out of order when found through a search. Is this a problem with my setup or is this something that JRemote just does? I have attached two screenshots showing the same album found through "Audio>Albums" and "Search>Album" where you can see my problem. The strange thing is that if I press track number 1 in the search result (shown as track 9 in the list) it will still play the album in the correct order. It will play it in correct order no matter which song I choose, but if I choose a track other than 1, it will never play those with a lower number because they are placed above the selected track in the playlist.

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #618 on: October 15, 2012, 11:55:01 am »

Maybe you could start a thread and propose the function names / parameters you think would be best?

Thanks.

Any progress on this?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #619 on: October 15, 2012, 05:05:11 pm »

I'm having trouble with JRemote on my iPhone 5.  When I select a file, tapping on it does not play the file (it does nothing, just ignores you).  I have to long-press and choose Play Now or one of the other options.  My wife's 4S with iOS 6 does not exhibit the problem, it is limited (as far as I can tell) to my iPhone 5.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #620 on: October 15, 2012, 08:42:14 pm »

I'm having trouble with JRemote on my iPhone 5.  When I select a file, tapping on it does not play the file (it does nothing, just ignores you).  I have to long-press and choose Play Now or one of the other options.  My wife's 4S with iOS 6 does not exhibit the problem, it is limited (as far as I can tell) to my iPhone 5.

What's the default action?  I assume you've accidentally changed it to add to play list or something instead of play now.

On the iPad there is a button on top of the screen that is only visible when you drill down to an album track list, it allows you to change the default action, not sure where it would be on the iPhone.

pcstockton

« Reply #621 on: October 15, 2012, 10:46:45 pm »

Single tap is working on my end with iPhone 5 and newest JRemote build.  I am still on MC17 fwtw.

Good luck,
Patrick

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #622 on: October 16, 2012, 08:02:40 pm »

EJR I had the same issue : trying to connect from outside my network (ie via 3G on the iphone vs wireless) and even though the settings were all correct in the app, I had to delete server and enter IP address manually and then it worked.

Seems the "auto setup" using the key from J River  doesn't quite auto enter the Global Access quite right...?

However, I have it working now and am AMAZED at this app - best $10 I've spent in that App store!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #623 on: October 17, 2012, 12:38:01 am »

What's the default action?  I assume you've accidentally changed it to add to play list or something instead of play now.

On the iPad there is a button on top of the screen that is only visible when you drill down to an album track list, it allows you to change the default action, not sure where it would be on the iPhone.

That's what it was.  Somehow it was set to nothing.  None of them had the checkbox at all.

I don't think I ever touched that setting, and even if I did, I don't know how it got set to nothing at all.  Hmmm... Anyway, thanks.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #624 on: October 19, 2012, 06:11:44 am »

Hey guys, I decided to implement some support for liner notes in the next release.
So what I have done so far is add support for opening and viewing pdf files.

I don`t know how you guys use liner notes at the present, but for now you have to do it this way:
1. In JRiver add a customizable view that lists documents. You can filter this to only include pdf files for convenience.
2. In JRemote you have to navigate to this view to find the pdf file and open it.

The better way would be if you could access your notes from the now playing view window. I cant see any way to make this happen at the moment since you cant link a pdf to a specific album or track. Can anyone tell me how Gizmo does it?

camross

« Reply #625 on: October 20, 2012, 06:30:40 am »

Just purchased j remote and can't connect with my laptop running windows 7. I have seen a few posts on this thread but no real answers can someone help.?

Thanks Cameron

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #626 on: October 20, 2012, 09:33:02 am »

Just purchased j remote and can't connect with my laptop running windows 7. I have seen a few posts on this thread but no real answers can someone help.?

It is likely the Windows Firewall or another networking problem.

Are you sure that both your iOS device and the laptop are on the same network?

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #627 on: October 23, 2012, 01:38:37 pm »

@toomanybarts glad you got it working it seems you have to manually add the port number in the external address field. indeed its a very nice app :D

@camross like glynor said it is highly likle a network issue  what is the specific error you're getting?

if both devices are on your home network try to disable your firewall and see if it works. if it does work MC needs to be added to the programs that are allowed internet access in your firewall settings.
from outside if you use a router you have to open the port you choose in MC in the router's settings.

I've been using JRemote to stream music on  3g. last time I was taking a walk and noticed that after a song ended no new song started when I unlocked my iphone to watch what was going on it started.
i tried waiting a long time to see if it was buffering or streaming related but it didn't start even after a long while but would immediately start when unlocking the iPhone again
does anyone else have this and is there a way to let it play fluently without the pauses?

another thing i noticed
when you search for an artist or album  from the search tab and choose play all now the songs are not in the right order is there a way to fix this?

cheers

pcstockton

« Reply #628 on: October 23, 2012, 08:26:47 pm »

I've been using JRemote to stream music on  3g. last time I was taking a walk and noticed that after a song ended no new song started when I unlocked my iphone to watch what was going on it started.
i tried waiting a long time to see if it was buffering or streaming related but it didn't start even after a long while but would immediately start when unlocking the iPhone again
does anyone else have this and is there a way to let it play fluently without the pauses?

I have noticed behavior similar to this.  In my situation when I remove something from the earphone port, e.g. my adapter for playing through my car stereo, music stops as it does with the iPod App.  But then will then automatically restart replaying again at some point.  I have never boiled down what actually makes it restart, but a screen unlock might be the culprit. 

I now stop playing manually rather than just rip the cord out.

Ironically I have rarely had this not work though and got replays.  Not consistently though.

Strange.  I mentioned this in the past somewhere above.

Still best app EVER!

Cheers!
Patrick

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #629 on: October 23, 2012, 09:49:55 pm »

EJR, I had this same issue as well, and never figured it out.  I recall I had a workaround, but maybe it is not really a work around and I don't know what I am talking about.

My recollection is I would start playing songs, then press the power button on the phone to lock it, and cram my iphone in my pocket so I could go mow the lawn.  If i did this, it would play 1 song and stop.  Unlock the phone, press play and away it went for another song.

However if I started playing a song and didn't touch a power button and just crammed it in my pocket it seemed to play songs continuously.  Even after the phone would self lock after my 15 minute wait time, it seemed to be ok. 

This seems to odd and I think maybe I just got lucky or something, who knows.  I just thought I would mention it in case it is a lead to a fix.

Still love the program!

Pete

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #630 on: October 27, 2012, 02:29:58 pm »

thanks for your replies  I will try not locking it myself.

update: didn't work for me the play will still stop after each song

gtener

• Recent member
« Reply #631 on: October 29, 2012, 12:26:55 pm »

This may have been discussed before, so I apologize if I'm bringing up something old.  In "Playing Now" the Metadata and Lyrics don't auto update when the track changes. Is it possible to have this happen?
It's music to my ears.

broncodan

• World Citizen
« Reply #632 on: October 29, 2012, 02:47:04 pm »

Any word on the updated version as noted a while ago:

Here are the highlights of the next version:

bug fixes:
- now playing images not displayed on some zones. (Was actually fixed before, but reappeared)
- Correct order in search results

And new "now playing" options:
- Shuffle playlist
- Clear playlist
- Toggle display of track number vs playlist nr.
- Thumbnails and ratings in list.

The UI is also enhanced, mainly on the iPad version.

Looking forward to the update - especially the now playing changes.

Some other suggestions:
1 - implement Play Doctor interface - not sure if possible but would be cool
2 - update play count/skip count

Also - does anyone have suggestions or a few particular favorite ways for setting up views in Gismo/webremote (that jremote viewing)? Here are a few that I have set up:

Decade/Rating
 Catagories in this order:
Year
Rating
Album Artist (auto)
Album

Genre/Rated
 Catagories in this order:
Genre
Rating
Album Artist (auto)
Album

Thanks again to LesPaul - wonderful program.  And Thanks in advance for any view suggestions.

Z0001

« Reply #633 on: November 04, 2012, 06:08:48 pm »

I tried to set up views for jremote in the network section of options of MC and initially it worked. I then added some new and nested levels and these don't seem to be picked up by jremote eg under video I want to have a new category called "kids" and under movie I want to have nested sub categories for "watched", "watching" "not watched". All the library fields are set up and I have this view working in theatre view. Instead in jremote I just see the original view I set up in MC options.

Any ideas?
Zeno

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
« Reply #634 on: November 04, 2012, 06:15:00 pm »

Does JRemote work with MC18???

Dave

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #635 on: November 04, 2012, 07:13:13 pm »

Does JRemote work with MC18???

Dave

Yes.  Just fine.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #636 on: November 04, 2012, 10:15:37 pm »

I tried to set up views for jremote in the network section of options of MC and initially it worked. I then added some new and nested levels and these don't seem to be picked up by jremote eg under video I want to have a new category called "kids" and under movie I want to have nested sub categories for "watched", "watching" "not watched". All the library fields are set up and I have this view working in theatre view. Instead in jremote I just see the original view I set up in MC options.

Any ideas?
Zeno

Under JRemote options, in the app itself, there is a kind of clear cache option that worked for me in similar situations.

Z0001

« Reply #637 on: November 04, 2012, 11:54:31 pm »

Under JRemote options, in the app itself, there is a kind of clear cache option that worked for me in similar situations.

I saw that but was hesitant at the mention of "clear"! Will give it a whirl tonight

vagskal

« Reply #638 on: November 05, 2012, 01:21:48 am »

Any ideas?
Zeno

You have to restart MC for the changes to take effect. Do not forget to close also the media server located in the system tray.

Z0001

« Reply #639 on: November 05, 2012, 03:23:52 pm »

Thanks. I was about to hit the reset button in MC!

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #640 on: November 07, 2012, 10:05:39 am »

Hi Lespaul,

I'm still lovin' your app, although I am anxiously awaiting the next release so I can get my cover art back  ;D

Is there anyway you can tap into MC's existing learned IR codes and trigger them from JRemote? I'd like to do things like switch sources on my AV processor from within the app. This would eliminate the need to have a physical IR remote and IR repeaters, etc if I want to control my processor (living room) from the garage, which is a second zone on the processor.

Thanks

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #641 on: November 08, 2012, 02:57:43 am »

Hey guys, It`s been a while.

I submitted the next version yesterday. I was planning to release it earlier, but had to do some other work first.
While I did not plan it, I also ended up spending a lot more time on the interface graphics, most graphics on the dark theme have been replaced, as well as a few on the light theme. The iPhone version also received some care, including a better "now playing" view to make room for a new toolbar when you are looking at the playlist.

One additional feature I included that should have been there from the start is an option to stream all supported formats uncompressed. So if selected, wav, apple lossless, aac and mp3 files will be streamed without conversion. I also changed the info in the "now playing" view to easier see how the current file is streamed.

On the iPad version there is also the ability to click on a cover to open the large version in a view where you can zoom and scroll it. You can do this from the "now playing" screen, the metadata view and the small thumbnail in the main view.

I am now starting on the next version, and there are a few things i need to include that will be a part of MC18.
There will also be editable meta tags and enhanced search functionality. Actually, for search I also need to include the old search, since the new version only work in MC 17. You will be able to toggle the mode, as the old version is better for file searches, since it includes thumbnails and artist/album info.

In addition to the app I have started to work on a manual as well as updating the website.

pcstockton

« Reply #642 on: November 08, 2012, 09:47:54 am »

All fantastic news.  Many thanks Les Paul.

Cheers,
Patrick

csimon

« Reply #643 on: November 08, 2012, 12:45:09 pm »

Great news, will wait patiently!

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #644 on: November 08, 2012, 08:45:38 pm »

Great news I am LOVING this app and now use it daily!
I love being able to rate my tunes while streaming - saves me from having to sync unrated songs with my sansa clip (yes I'm a music nerd)

I have a couple of requests if you're taking them...?

1. Would love the ability to go to next track thru swiping the album art with one finger left or right on the "Now Playing" screen.
(I listen to a lot of my music in the car and being able to just swipe the now playing screen left or right to advance or go back a track would be awesome).

2. Any chance of building and saving playlists on the go thru the app?  (Not sure if this is even possible).

3. Being able to click on Artist or Genre or any meta data tag actually and being taken to a sort that shows the appropriate selection.

Anyway, LOVE LOVE LOVE what this app is enabling me to do remotely (and even better when at home from my iPad) - thank-you!

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #645 on: November 09, 2012, 03:57:58 am »

Swiping cover to change tracks is on my to-do list. I nearly added it in this version, but decided to wait because of time issues.
Playlist editing may be possible soon.

I need some more info regarding your third point. On the iPad version you can click on a metadata value to do a search. If you are using the iPhone version, this is not yet implemented. Maybe in a later version I can add this.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #646 on: November 09, 2012, 11:08:19 am »

How do I delete a track in playing now.
I selected the wrong track.

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
Re: Re: JRemote, a new native iOS remote for JRiver Media Center
« Reply #647 on: November 09, 2012, 09:18:18 pm »

You can't until you are running v18 and LesPaul adds the new API features.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #648 on: November 09, 2012, 09:58:09 pm »

LesPaul you are the man!
Great news about possible future improvements.

Seriously, I dont think I have appreciated an app more...my use of it "off site" and off wifi has caused me to get a usage warning from AT&T (I'm on unlimited data and they throttle your use after 3Gb)!

Actually all my points were iphone related (I use the ipad vers in the house, but listen a lot more to music in the car on my iPhone during my 60min commute) so I guess I'll have to wait til this feature makes it across from the iPad.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #649 on: November 09, 2012, 10:48:44 pm »

If only you could list the artist with the song in a search, your app would be the best of the best
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 20   Go Up