INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red October (appears to use) directshow-registered LAV Splitter (Fixed)  (Read 3156 times)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I was getting curious yesterday and decided to check some of the settings in LAV Splitter while a video was playing. Although I was running MC 17.092, the file version in the bottom right of the LAV splitter screen after I opened it from the playback window read 0.42. Sure enough when I looked at the currently-installed version on my HTPC (I used to manually install the filters before RO) I had 0.42 installed. I manually reinstalled LAV filters with 0.47, and next time I checked the splitter settings through MC, I was using 0.47.

It looks like the manually-installed LAV filters take precedence over the internal RO LAV filters? I also feared that madVR was not being used internally (I couldn't find a way to check the current version) so I reinstalled with the latest version. This could be construed as a feature but it also explains why I usually have to manually set subtitles for each movie I watch (RO is not able to auto-configure). I unfortunately need the filters installed system-wide because I create molecular dynamics simulation videos in Powerpoint for presentations, and the MS filters aren't up to the task w/o HA.

JohnT

Re: Red October is using directshow-registered LAV Splitter
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:23:26 am »

MC should not be showing the LAV splitter configuration dialog.  That's a bug which will be fixed in the next build.  What you were seeing was the configuration dialog for the manually installed LAV splitter on your system, which is totally separate from the one we auto install and configure.  Any settings you change there will not get used by MC with Red October.  The only way that your LAV version will be used by MC is if you go into custom filter configuration and specify LAV splitter.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re: Red October is using directshow-registered LAV Splitter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:33:51 am »

That's reassuring. Thank you.

hautfidelite

• Recent member

This seems as good a place as any to ask the question: What if you are using MC17 on a computer that is not connected to the internet but you need the approved LAV filters? Is there any way of downloading and installing them manually?

JohnT

Can you hook up internet temporarily and play a video to force the install?
Otherwise, if you have another computer connected to the internet with the exact same version of Media Center installed, you could try copying the plugins folder from that computer to the other one.
C:\Users\..user_name..\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Plugins

hautfidelite

• Recent member

I wondered if that might work - but it doesn't. MC17 crashes when trying to make changes to playback options.

JohnT

I wondered if that might work - but it doesn't. MC17 crashes when trying to make changes to playback options.
Which did you try?  Temporarily connecting to internet to download the plugins, or manually copying the plugins directory from another pc?

hautfidelite

• Recent member

Sorry, copying the plugins folder. The temporary internet connection option is a significant hassle. Physically move the computer, set up the connection from scratch - and then do it all again for a second computer in the same situation.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

A long cable might work.

JohnT

Can you describe the steps you take that lead to a crash?  I've tried disconnecting my network cable and removing the plugins, but I don't see a crash - just an error pop-up box.

hautfidelite

• Recent member

I copied the plugins folder from my internet-connected computer on to a USB flash drive. Took this to the remote computer, changed the name of the plugins folder of MC17 there to plugins backup, saved it elsewhere and copied over the plugins folder from the memory stick. When I restarted MC17 it crashed when I went to playback options, switched from ASIO to Direct Sound, and then tried to select a different output device in Output mode settings. Restoring the backed up plugins folder restored normal function.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

A long cable might work.

My wife has a bunch of machines in her office that she can't get online because it is in a clean room (that happens to have been wired for fiber not cat5/6 years ago* and no one is buying her fiberoptic nics for her old crappy Windows XP PCs).  Rewiring the rooms would mean a multi-million dollar renovation because they'd have to strip and re-sanitize everything.

A long cable running across the barrier would not impress our safety and standards crew.

I suppose she could get a 3G cellular dongle, and pay a monthly bill, but... This kind of situation can't be unique.

* Because that's the connection cabling of the future, right?  Right?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JohnT

I copied the plugins folder from my internet-connected computer on to a USB flash drive. Took this to the remote computer, changed the name of the plugins folder of MC17 there to plugins backup, saved it elsewhere and copied over the plugins folder from the memory stick. When I restarted MC17 it crashed when I went to playback options, switched from ASIO to Direct Sound, and then tried to select a different output device in Output mode settings. Restoring the backed up plugins folder restored normal function.
Please send a log file after this crash happens to johnt at jriver dot com. Thanks!

hautfidelite

• Recent member

Will do, John - but it will have to be tomorrow as I'm in the UK and it's almost time for dinner... Thanks.

hautfidelite

• Recent member

As I found my 15m CAT5 cable yesterday, I decided to take the temporary internet connection route instead. All now working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up