INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: License problem  (Read 3409 times)

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
License problem
« on: March 10, 2012, 02:43:49 am »

Hello, I am an extremely frustrated Media Center user.  I am fine with the software but can't figure out how to use the forums to find answers to my basic question. I don't understand forums and I can't seem to get the hang of the terminology used here.  All I would like to do is determine why I can't restore my license for the last version of Media Center 16.  I am using up all of my restore chances in a futile attemp to install my license on a new computer. Yes, I did read what I could find in the help section regarding registering the product.  I am using the latest version of MC16.  I am running Windows 7 and have turned off my firewall, etc..  I am not able to save the license to my harddrive even when following to the letter the steps explained in the help section. Would it be possible for someone to bump this message to the correct forum? I am afraid I will be out of license reinstalls before figuring out how to do this.  Thanks in advance, a very challenged user.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: License problem
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 03:00:42 am »

Hello, I am an extremely frustrated Media Center user.  I am fine with the software but can't figure out how to use the forums to find answers to my basic question. I don't understand forums and I can't seem to get the hang of the terminology used here.  All I would like to do is determine why I can't restore my license for the last version of Media Center 16.  I am using up all of my restore chances in a futile attemp to install my license on a new computer. Yes, I did read what I could find in the help section regarding registering the product.  I am using the latest version of MC16.  I am running Windows 7 and have turned off my firewall, etc..  I am not able to save the license to my harddrive even when following to the letter the steps explained in the help section. Would it be possible for someone to bump this message to the correct forum? I am afraid I will be out of license reinstalls before figuring out how to do this.  Thanks in advance, a very challenged user.

I can't move this for you, but I'm sure Jim will tomorrow (along with these replies, I'd hope).

Don't worry about the restores.  They can reset them for you.  That limit is just there to keep the honest people honest.

You are probably just having trouble downloading the license key.  Some browsers act weird when their restore page tries to open a new window to download the file.  That's okay, don't worry about it, there's another way.  When you did the restore(s), in addition to loading the license key in your web browser, JRiver emails it to you.  You probably have a BUNCH of them sitting in your email inbox.

Make sure you are using your new machine (the one you are trying to license).  So open up your email, and look for the most recent restore email from JRiver.  The subject line of the email will be "Temporary Install Key for JRiver, Inc. Media Center 17‏" (just like that).  Open the email and then save the attachment to your desktop (it should be a MJR type file).  It is a tiny little file that will be called something like "Media Center17-234567.mjr".

Once you have the MJR file on your desktop, just double-click it.  That should open up MC (if it isn't already open) and install the license.  You should get a message that the license was successfully installed or something, and then it pops open a web page of some kind saying thanks (you can just close this browser window).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 03:04:14 am »

but can't figure out how to use the forums to find answers to my basic question. I don't understand forums and I can't seem to get the hang of the terminology used here.

Jim wrote up a pretty nice primer on using the forum a while back.  Check it out here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43159.0

Another good place to read (it is short) to learn more about what this forum is, and how it works, is the forum software's user guide.  They have a nice Getting Started section here:
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=16.0;sort=subject
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 03:07:29 am »

JimH, I know I am in the wrong forum but I seem to be either mentally challenged or have a mental block on using the forums. No matter how hard I try, I just can't get the hang of this.

I am a registered user of Media Center 16, the last version. Over the past year I have learned how to do a lot of things with the software and am pleased with the program.  I purchased a new laptop and would like to use it as a sort of server for my music files. Installing MC16 was a snap but installing my registration code has been a nightmare. I am using up all of my reinstalls attempting to do this today. Yes, I have read the directions a zillion times about the process and have turned off my firewall as suggested. Here is what I have done.

1. Clicked on the appropriate registration line under the Help menu.

2. Manually entered my registration code. This also includes copying and pasting the code four times from the four emails sent by MC (This is why, I think I am using up reinstall chances).

3. I have attempted to save the info by following the direction on the popup window. This includes right clicking and doing a save as.

For some reason MC will not accept the code and will not save the info on my harddrive.  I believe the message indicates the program can not complete the download or something to that effect.

I have a feeling this is something simple but I am haveing a brain freeze about how to proceed.  Could you please bump this message to the correct forum?

Thanks in advance, Richard

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 07:33:08 am »

I am a registered user of Media Center 16, the last version. Over the past year I have learned how to do a lot of things with the software and am pleased with the program.  I purchased a new laptop and would like to use it as a sort of server for my music files. Installing MC16 was a snap but installing my registration code has been a nightmare.

1. Clicked on the appropriate registration line under the Help menu.
Good.

2. Manually entered my registration code. This also includes copying and pasting the code four times from the four emails sent by MC (This is why, I think I am using up reinstall chances).
You may be using MC17 with an MC16 license.  That won't work.  Find MC16 and install it.  It's on our wiki, on our FAQ, and there's a link to old versions from our download page.
For some reason MC will not accept the code and will not save the info on my harddrive.  I believe the message indicates the program can not complete the download or something to that effect.
[/quote]
If that happens with MC16, your browser may be the problem.  Use Internet Explorer.

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:01:50 am »

JimH,

Jim, I emailed earlier today about not being able to register MC16 on my laptop.  No amount of effort will retrieve the license.  I am a registered user.

Now, downloaded and purchased MC17 just a while ago and the problem persists.  First, I should not have had to pay full price because I was upgrading. Setting that aside, I did purchase MC17 for the full price and still can't install the license.

Media Center installed without problem, I have my new 30-digit code to install license from the internet.  Entering same I receive a message that 'this is not a valid registration'.  Right clicking and attempting to save the .mjr file fails each time both in MC16 and MC17. I am using up my reinstalls with the mess. The error message is 'unable to complete download'. I am using Windows 7, IE9, and have disabled my firewall during install and registration attemps.  My email program is Windows Live and have the same email address for years.  This actually shouldn't matter since I did a purchase of MC17 moments ago and entered all required date in the data fields.

I feel so stupid that I can't make things happen.  The registration process has only two possibilities so it is straight forward and simple. In registering from the internet I have typed the 30 digit code with caps, no caps, with and without the hyphens.

Please help,
Richard

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 01:35:42 pm »

JimH,

Jim, I emailed earlier today about not being able to register MC16 on my laptop.  No amount of effort will retrieve the license.  I am a registered user.

Now, downloaded and purchased MC17 just a while ago and the problem persists.  First, I should not have had to pay full price because I was upgrading. Setting that aside, I did purchase MC17 for the full price and still can't install the license.

Media Center installed without problem, I have my new 30-digit code to install license from the internet.  Entering same I receive a message that 'this is not a valid registration'.  Right clicking and attempting to save the .mjr file fails each time both in MC16 and MC17. I am using up my reinstalls with the mess. The error message is 'unable to complete download'. I am using Windows 7, IE9, and have disabled my firewall during install and registration attemps.  My email program is Windows Live and have the same email address for years.  This actually shouldn't matter since I did a purchase of MC17 moments ago and entered all required date in the data fields.

I feel so stupid that I can't make things happen.  The registration process has only two possibilities so it is straight forward and simple. In registering from the internet I have typed the 30 digit code with caps, no caps, with and without the hyphens.

Please help,
Richard
When you purchase, the license is automatically installed.  Why do you think it isn't registered?

Double check your system date and time zone.

A virus checker perhaps?  Or a pop-up blocker? 

Do not retype the code.  Use copy and paste.

The version of the license and the version you have installed must match.  MC17 needs an MC17 license, not an MC16 license, for example.

Our system can e-mail you your licenses.  Option #2 on the Restore Page.

Don't worry about using restores.  We can fix that.

Try on another PC if you have one.

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 01:45:25 pm »

I have done everything I can see from the forums, turned off firewalls, enabled cookies, etc. Here is a message in the default download folder. Hopefully this will tell you what I am doing wrong. Media Center 17-170646_mjr.df969sm  3/10/2012 2:30pm partial download 0kb.

The program is functioning fine and I have been able to transfer all files but I simply can't register/install license.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 01:51:19 pm »

I have done everything I can see from the forums, turned off firewalls, enabled cookies, etc. Here is a message in the default download folder. Hopefully this will tell you what I am doing wrong. Media Center 17-170646_mjr.df969sm  3/10/2012 2:30pm partial download 0kb.
Did you read my message just above?  Can you reply to it?

That the download of the mjr file fails is a problem.  

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 04:17:35 pm »

JimH,

Could you please give me a quick tutorial about how to reply to an individual response #93? I can only reply to the first message in the series of messages on this part of the forum.

I have done everything you indicated in the past three messages including the cut and paste idea.  I did try to install MC17 on my desktop which I use for email and ripping files to Media Center. I still can not register version 17 even though I have the new registration code.  Neither register on the internet with the 30 digit (manual entry or cut and paste) or 'save as' from the popup window will allow registration. As indicated I turned off virus checker and firewall twice but it made no difference. In addition in the help menu on two computers under licensing, the info box indicates I am still in the trial mode.

I don't have enough tech speak experience to understand what may be simple for you young folks but I can follow step by step instructions when issued.  Is it possible the MC17 is looking for a bit of registration code from MC16 that remains on my computer? Would it make a difference if I reformatted my hard drive, installed windows 7, then MC17? I purchased my new laptop specifically to run Media Center.  The only other software I have on the laptop is Norton Utilities 360 which is provided free of charge with my Comcast account.

Thanks for the attention to date,
Richard

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 04:22:59 pm »

On every message you will see a small bar of options below.  The first one is "Reply".  Please see the attached image.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 04:25:47 pm »

The only other software I have on the laptop is Norton Utilities 360 which is provided free of charge with my Comcast account.

Turn off Norton.

Why do you believe MC is unregistered?

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 05:46:19 pm »

JimH,

Thanks for all the attention today.

Unfortunately none of the suggestions offered have allowed me to register my new download of MC17. I have turned off virus checking, the firewall, allowed popups, etc.. I can't fathom why when selecting save or save as the message is file can not be downloaded.  If a solution is found I will keep checking hopefully before my 30 day trial expires.  At least I am getting a better handle on using forums ;-)

Richard

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 06:28:27 pm »

You're welcome.  I'm almost stumped.

One thing we haven't talked about is how browsers ask for confirmation sometimes.  In IE, you will see a yellow line at the bottom asking if you wish to allow the action.  So you might try again, going very slowly.

If you run out of restores, I'll reset that.

Double check that you are using MC17 and an MC17 Registration Code.  They must match.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 07:10:45 pm »

Would you be willing to have someone help via remote desktop help?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 07:51:46 pm »

Thanks to each person who has offered help and suggestions.  I most certainly have no issue with someone doing a remote fix on my computer.  What I think I would like to try is reinstalling windows, etc., (a fresh install) without Norton and any other files except windows, the HP drivers, and then MC17 to see if that makes a difference. I am going to think about this overnight. I can direct connect to my wireless modem which has 128 bit encryption so my system should be safe during the reinstall. I will post a decision and then if someone would like to provide remote help then I say have at it.

Thanks again, everyone!
Richard

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 08:57:41 pm »

Thanks to each person who has offered help and suggestions.  I most certainly have no issue with someone doing a remote fix on my computer.  What I think I would like to try is reinstalling windows, etc., (a fresh install) without Norton and any other files except windows, the HP drivers, and then MC17 to see if that makes a difference. I am going to think about this overnight. I can direct connect to my wireless modem which has 128 bit encryption so my system should be safe during the reinstall. I will post a decision and then if someone would like to provide remote help then I say have at it.

It might be useful to uninstall Norton first.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 10:37:19 pm »

Before you go through any reinstall business make sure you have administrator rights which I would think you do since you were able to install MC.
Go to Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\User Accounts to verify your account status. (you can copy paste the bold into the address bar of any folder to get there)
Go to the folder you are trying to download to and right click > properties > security then highlight your name to see what permissions you have for that folder.
If your username is not visible go through the steps in the below pic, if it is visible and full control is not checked do steps 1, 8, 9, 10
Sean

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 11:09:04 pm »

A couple of alternative options are:

If your email program offers a view option instead of download you can view it and then on your desktop right click > new > text document open the new text
document and copy paste all of the text that is in the .mjr file, save it then rename the file exactly as it is named as the attachment Media Center17-167397.mjr
for example, choose restore from file and select the file on you desktop.

Instead of downloading the file choose the run option MC should be the default program for opening .mjr files to verify go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations
and check to see what program it is associated with it should say MediaCenter.17.Registration if not click change program.
Since you have more than one version of MC installed there will be more than one Package Installer listed so you need to use the browse function and navigate to
C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 17\ and select PackageInstaller.exe if you are not using Windows 7 64 bit remove the *space*(x86)
Sean

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 06:57:08 pm »

JimH,

Jim, I was finally able to register my copy of MC17.  It worked like a charm.

The first thing I did was remove Norton 360.  This did not resolve the problem. So I completely erased the harddrive using the DOD recommended method. Then I reinstalled Windows 7 with just the basic system and HP drivers and software needed to run, for example, the BluRay drive. Then I downloaded MC17 and everything worked as advertised.

I guess the culprit was Norton 360 but there may have been something in the settings I couldn't adjust for IE9.0.

If you would be so kind as to restore 3 or 4 of my registration attempts it would be greatly appreciated.

I love Media Center so although this was frustrating and a more complex solution for me, MC17 now works and I am very happy.

Regards to all who provided advice,
Richard

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 07:03:55 pm »

Good news.  I'm glad it worked.   Thanks for being patient enough to solve it.

I've reset your restores.

JaneSlingo

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 10:39:24 am »

I have purchased my license. I am installing my JR key on another computer which I am using solely for music, I therefore do not check my emails on that PC. I have transferred the installation key via flash drive to the laptop I wish to install this on. When I try and install it it says "Failed to load JR Tools.dll. Please reinstall the latest version of the program"

where do I find this? Is this the free trial one? This is not as easy as it was made out to be.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 10:42:08 am »

The Install Key is only good for 14 days.  After that, you must use your Registration Code to do a Restore.  Details are in the Purchase link above.

The version of MC must match the version of the license.  Old versions can be found on our Wiki or in the FAQ.

Install MC before you try to use the Install Key.
Pages: [1]   Go Up