INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 18 on Windows 8 64-bit Freezes While Playing Audio, Video OK  (Read 3916 times)

byungna

• Recent member
MC 18 on Windows 8 64-bit Freezes While Playing Audio, Video OK
« on: February 25, 2013, 07:48:40 am »

I have been running MC16 on Windows 7 for two years, using ASUS D2X audio card (along with EVGA GTX).  Recently upgraded to Windows 8 64-bit.  Then did a clean install of MC 18.  MC 18 plays video OK, but it keeps freezing while playing audio.  When it freezes, there is usually a hum which can be only stopped when PC restarts.  During the freeze, other apps can still run, including sounds, but with the hum.  Any help, I would appreciated. :(

Byung

sirkus

• World Citizen
Re: MC 18 on Windows 8 64-bit Freezes While Playing Audio, Video OK
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:22:49 pm »

I have to confirm that. It's very sensitive to interactions with the OS. But, I think Windows 8 is bad for real time... or too new?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 05:10:02 pm »

We need more detail.

What is Options > Audio > Output Mode set to?  For most purposes, WASAPI Event Style is what you want.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

sirkus

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 05:21:20 pm »

Yep sorry, you are right. Lynx AES16 in ASIO mode. JRMark (version 18.0.136): 4510

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:39:45 pm »

dlbeck has reported the same issue the past couple of days here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78508.0. He is also using Windows 8 64-bit.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:24:57 pm »

dlbeck has reported the same issue the past couple of days here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78508.0. He is also using Windows 8 64-bit.

He's also using ASIO.

FYI:  I'm using WASAPI Event Style out under Windows 8 on my HTPC, and I have another system at the office that runs it that way as well, and neither exhibit any issues.  But neither is using ASIO.

I'm thinking it is either:

1. The DAC ASIO Drivers aren't fully Windows 8 compatible.  Microsoft did make some changes to the driver model in Windows 8.  Our Perceptive Pixel system had all sorts of trouble until the second round of Windows 8 drivers, for example (and they're owned by Microsoft now).

2. Something is broken in MC's ASIO implementation, that only impacts ASIO under Windows 8.  I'm a bit more skeptical of this, but it is certainly possible.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

byungna

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 09:19:19 am »

I have been offline a few weeks to see many replies including that others also reporting a similar freezing or stopping, etc. Attached is my log.  I also tried WASAPI-Event Style as Audio Output Mode, but MC18 still freezes.  What other system parameters do you think that can help understand the problem?

Byung

sirkus

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 05:40:26 pm »

Seems to be better with 2 sec buffering on my side. I have re-installed Windows 8. We will see.

vjbelle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 03:27:27 am »

I am having similar issues with a new install of MC on Win 8 64bit.  Buffering issues while using ASIO.  I have changed buffering all the way up to 2 seconds with no difference.  Will also attempt to use a different Asio driver to see if that will make a difference.

Victor

byungna

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 07:48:34 am »

OK, thanks for confirming the MC18 freeze issue on Windows 8, 64-Bit.  Here is a summary of a trial-and-error so far:
(1) Audio Output Mode Tried: WASAPI - Event Style, ASIO, Direct Sound, all freeze
(2) Prebuffering: 2 to 20 seconds, all freeze
(3) WASAPI Settings - Hardware buffer size: 10 to 500 milliseconds, all freeze

Progress:
(a) After switching to WASAPI Event Style, MC18 still freezes, but Windows 8 is able to close the "not responding" MC18 and to start again without resorting to PC reboot.
(b) After switching to WASAPI Event Style with a 20 Seconds (buffering), was able to play without freezing for about 2 hours once, but couldn't repeat this.  Many times and typically MC18 freezes within 5 minutes.

The freezing behavior is random, but learned that the behavior seems to be somewhat sensitive to mouse movement and/or running other graphic intensive apps while MC18 is playing.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 08:34:18 am »

The description sounds like MC sometimes can't get the data it needs.  Possibilities are:
1.  An aggressive virus checker
2.  A flakey drive
3.  A network issue
4.  Some other hardware issue

I don't think there is a Win8 problem, so let's see if you have something in common.

Are the files local or on a NAS drive or USB drive?

What types of files are you playing?  Do these files work with WMP?

Virus checker?

Sound device

byungna

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 03:45:55 pm »

JimH,

My platform is being checked by McAfee Internet Security. To eliminate any possibility, I did check "Play files from memory instead of disk" thingy for all my trial-and-errors.  A network issue?  Could you elaborate this?  I both tried, a CD ripped file and a Hi-Fi file from HDtracks.  A CD ripped file surely works with WMP.  The HD file only works (now briefly) with MC18.  Used to work really great on MC16.  Sound device is ASUS D2X.

Byung
Pages: [1]   Go Up