INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hangs and Crashes [appears to be a Windows problem]  (Read 17038 times)

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
Hangs and Crashes [appears to be a Windows problem]
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:22:31 am »

I am having a hard time keeping 19 running. One of the two most prevalent problems is the hang.
While going through Standard or Theater view, 19 will just stop responding. Nothing happens on screen and you wait, then you try your selection again and the screen goes white. One more attempt and you are offered a chance to closed MC. Sometimes if you wait long enough the white screen clears and MC comes back. Sometimes it is hung forever.
The second is a crash during playback. Halfway through a television show it will just crash and report it has had a problem and needs to close. Close it and restart and it has lost where you were in the show, so it stops completely right in the middle of playing. Both these issues came with 19. (18 was more stable). But they are getting worse and worse. The first 19's didn't do it and worked well. We couldn't make it through a 30 minute show last night without a crash. I built a brand new win7 machine. No software but win7, and updates, and MC. It did the same thing almost immediately. I know we are suppose to expect some problems as you develop 19, but this is to hard to deal with.
Reading the forums, I don't really see a lot of crashes and the like. I have tried all kinds of different media files. It isn't the media.
My other box in the garage that plays music videos has the same hang problem, but instead of locking up during play it likes to crash during the first few notes of a video playing those first few notes over and over rapid fire. The only way to stop it is to kill MC.
I suspected maybe sound settings for that, but it is all generic.
The main MC box did use WASAPI but I set that to direct sound, but no changes in problems.

Anyone have any ideas? Is MC19 rock stable for some of you?

Thanks

Don

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Hangs and Crashes
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 09:18:39 am »

Please try updating:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83511.0

If that doesn't work, please report details on your setup and what type of files you're playing when it happens.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:43:26 am »

Thanks for the reply. I am running .38.
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Asus P6T mb
i7 950 3.07 ghz
12 gb Memory

240 gig SSD and one BD player
Gforce GT630 HDMI

All the media resides on a 13TB NAS. It has been up for years and has no problems.

The media that's crashes MC is usually just ripped old or new TV shows. Burn Notice, Dick Van **, MKV, AVI, everything. It does it in movies too, but somehow not as noticeable, perhaps because we watch much more TV than movies.

I went to confirm the version I am running. I started MC, clicked help|about and it hung (hanged?:)) but I let it sit and it did finally pop up .38.

I don't know what is unique here, As I said I did build another machine from scratch with similar specs and it had the problem right away. That intrigued me. I know I must be a rare problem or you would be overrun with complaints. So how could it happen on a new machine? Maybe it is in these steps:
I built the machine, did all the MS updates, installed MC which installed DirectX. Here is the iffy part.
My library is quite extensive, especially with shows marked as watched, I didn't want to lose all that so I "restored" the library and the skins folders from the old machine. Thinking that could be it, I reverted back to Obsidian skin but it still hung up. I didn't get to see if the new build actually crashed during playback, because it hanging kept me from playing anything.
Before you ask, I will remove the 19 and install a fresh 19.038 on that new machine and let it build it's own library, and leave the skins alone.

While typing this the main machine that is showing the Help screen crashed. "Media Center has Stopped Working..." I wasn't even playing anything.

Don

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 10:05:00 am »

Examining the event logs for the machine I see lots and lots of 1002 Media Center 19.exe Version 19.0.38.0 Stopped interacting with Windows and was closed.

Anther piece, the box itself never crashes. I am always able to get control back by closing MC. Usually without having to go to Task Mangler. Also MC runs the server too, Both start up automatically.
I do try a reboot once in a while to see if it helps. Not so far.
Don

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:08:03 am »

Virus checker?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 10:28:42 am »

Windows sometimes thinks that processes aren't interacting when they're just really busy.

If your files are on a NAS and there is a lot of analyzing going on or thumbnailing of large files (video), then this could happen. 

If you can close MC normally, it isn't hung.

You might try a test library of local files.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 12:06:18 pm »

I understand things being busy. I think the "hangs" are mostly MC trying to do something it is supposed to do, but for some reason it can't. The machine is fast and has a SSD, there is no bottleneck in the machine, so I suspect MC. (But again I didn't see this as widespread, so I must take responsibility for whatever is different on my end, I appreciate the help)

The NAS isn't a factor. I don't see a lot of traffic (at least more than the show streaming) and it is the same NAS used in 17 and 18. Nothing there

When I say I can close MC without rebooting, I mean I can force it shut by clicking on the white screen and it asks if I want to shut down the non responding app. I can't click on any x or even alt-F4 it. I need to force it closed. I just meant it doesn't take windows with it.

I will put some files on a drive and test it locally

By Virus Checker you mean antivirus? Norton is up and running. The box is player anyway, it doesn't surf or download files.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 12:37:02 pm »

It could be Norton.  We have seen plenty of similar problems with antivirus programs.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 01:11:43 pm »

Thanks for all the responses.
I need to test it all now. I will let you know tomorrow. First I have to build a drive for the player to hold some media, that takes some time. :) A fresh NEW library, with only stuff from local drives. If it happens again I will try Norton. But the test box didn't have any antivirus and did it, but it was configured like the one I am trying to fix. This time a fresh library and small set of views to get me by.
I have a pretty well worked over Theater View skin. I want to make sure that isn't an issue too.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 01:50:23 pm »

The SSD part of your post reminded me of another problem that was related to an SSD.  The solution was reported in the last couple of weeks, but I don't recall what the problem or solution were.   It might have been SandyBridge or CountryBumkin who reported it.

The "Weird and Wonderful" thread would be a good place to look.  Here, for example:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.100

Here's the one I was thinking of:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82263.msg562476#msg562476

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 04:03:58 pm »

I looked and found out I fibbed. I have a 128 gig in the player.
But it shows 24 free. I am getting lockups in the middle of a 1gig sitcom.
Nonetheless, I am suspicious of SSDs and MC. I can move the build over to a real much larger drive and see what happens too.
Nothing would make me happier than to Stamp "Solved" on this, and stave off the wife and her wacky wish for the old XBMC. Not happening.. this will be fixed.

Then I can go back to whining about Gizmo and my S4. :)

Thanks
Don

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 04:13:24 pm »

Check the location you have set for temp files.

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: mc 19 hanging and crashing while browsing in theater view
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 04:38:28 pm »

Does this happen every time you try to browse in theater view?
Adam Thompson, JRiver

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 06:44:18 pm »

It is set to what I think is default for files in my user directory. There is no other drive. Everything is on C.

But, since the last update I have swapped the OS over to a WD 600 fast drive. Testing is in session now. A couple of hangs in the interface (Obsidian) but they cleared and I was able to continue. NO Crashes during play, but it has only been about 70 minutes so far.

Thanks

Don

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 07:04:03 pm »

That sounds like the problem with Chrome.

Try changing the internal browser from Chromium to Internet Explorer in:

Tools->Options->Tree & View->Web Browser->Engine

Worked for me and several other people, as described in:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82850.msg566368#msg566368

So what is the office Under/Over on how many people have to report a problem before it is noticed?

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 07:52:10 pm »

Well it isn't the ssd. It crashed again during playback. The Event log showed

Faulting application name: Media Center 19.exe, version: 19.0.38.0, time stamp: 0x522f923c
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18229, time stamp: 0x51fb1116
Exception code: 0xe06d7363
Fault offset: 0x0000c41f
Faulting process id: 0x16b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01ceb32919b0698e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 19\Media Center 19.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: cd82801a-1f30-11e3-938f-001fbc095fc4

I don't have Chrome installed...

Thanks

Don

JimH

• Administrator
Re: mc 19 hanging and crashing while browsing in theater view
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 09:26:48 am »

What are you using as a virus checker?  Try disabling it.

kstuart

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 12:03:14 pm »

I don't have Chrome installed...

This doesn't refer to the browser you have installed, it refers to a browsing engine installed by JRiver.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 03:54:27 pm »

Oh really? Thanks. I assumed you would need it installed to use it.

The machine with all the problems has been set aside so I can do proper troubleshooting.
(I manage a support group for a major PC Manu, and have provided support for decades on PCs)
I was shotgunning all over trying to fix it.

The lack of similar problems here means I am unique, and the issues may not necessarily have anything to do with MC.

So I went back to new machine as stated in the thread above and discovered it had not finished updating and still had to do SP1 for 7. That done I removed all MC files including the ones pasted from the previous install. Also from the hidden directory in User. Fully updated windows, Fresh Nvidia driver, New untouched MC 19. And local files. So far a few hours and it works fine. Next to go remote files. One step at a time. Thanks for everyone's help. More info here after testing.

Don

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 06:57:31 pm »

Try a library with only local files. 

Type of files?

Version of MC?

Antivirus?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 07:23:58 pm »

I merged two threads.  What do you have in common?

SSD's have been problems in the past.  Problem drives or drives filling up.  The "Weird Problems" thread has more.

BradC

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 10:44:44 pm »

I too have had MC19 hang and crash since upgrading from MC18.

Similar story to that above. 128Gb SSD, fast computer, mainly dedicated to HTPC use. Didn't crash with MC18.

Using NOD antivirus, that has MC19 whitelisted

Brad

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 07:23:19 am »

Here's a problem that turned out to be related to SSD's.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.msg408532#msg408532

Also check folder settings in MC.  Things like Temp folders probably shouldn't be on an SSD.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 07:24:16 am »

I too have had MC19 hang and crash since upgrading from MC18.

Similar story to that above. 128Gb SSD, fast computer, mainly dedicated to HTPC use. Didn't crash with MC18.

Using NOD antivirus, that has MC19 whitelisted

Brad
See if you can eliminate NOD as a possible factor.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 09:54:12 am »

Update: Fresh Machine. Almost the same specs as the one ailing. Major difference, no SSD, no other software including antivirus. Remote files.
No problems. Didn't use theater view, but played shows for hours with no interface hangs or crashing during playing.
The SSD may be suspect, but I did run the problem machine on a mechanical drive and the problems stayed but I also spent a lot of time learning how Theater Views worked and cobbled together my own skin/theme. I worry I have something wrong. I also learned how to make views and such on this box some time ago, and have always worried I have a view that does something stupid like divide by zero or something.
The next step is to go back to the problem machine and remove MC19 completely, reinstall fresh and rebuild the library, using simple views and no hacked Themes or skins.
More to come after further testing.

Don

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 10:03:48 am »

Also check folder settings in MC.  Things like Temp folders probably shouldn't be on an SSD.

Why? We obviously have used a SSD to make MC run as fast as possible, I would think you would want all files on SSD for speed. What is it about temp files that make them unsuitable for SSDs?
Just interested.
Thanks
Don

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 10:26:10 am »

Temp files could exceed the drive's capacity.

It's possible that the drive doesn't perform as expected.

kstuart

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 02:15:00 pm »

In:

Is it set to "Chromium" or "Internet Explorer" ?

We have about a half dozen people who have had a problem involving this, and by implication, other people have had the problem, read the threads, made the change, and not posted.  (In some Forums, one can assume a thousand people have the same situation, for every one person who actually posts, and clearly that is not the case for JRiver, but I would not be surprised if it is as much as ten people.)

Again, this refers to an internal web browsing engine installed by JRiver...

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 04:12:05 pm »

Mine is set for IE.

So far the new build on problem machine has worked well, with only two "hangs" that cleared.
I happened to have Performance Meter going at the time and when it was hung disk utilization was pegged. Once it cleared it went back to normal. I don't know what was using the Disk.
Afterward watching it carefully and looking for what uses disk I/o I saw wallpaper image names go by. Why when I am playing a video? I see it is windows changing my wallpaper at a regular interval. I have a Plasma and I need MC to go away immediately replaced by some moving images or it gets burned in. Standard mode is not pretty burned in. :) So I stopped that and put a static wallpaper image. So far no more hangs or lockups (crashes). Once in a while google photo screen saver runs and grabs some image too. I hate to turn off everything, as it ruins troubleshooting.
I agree with Matt, and always have, it isn't MC at fault or would have heard at lot more. It has to be something in my machine. It is great everyone seems interested and is trying to help.

Thanks
Don

nitephlight

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 07:59:30 pm »

In:

Is it set to "Chromium" or "Internet Explorer" ?

We have about a half dozen people who have had a problem involving this, and by implication, other people have had the problem, read the threads, made the change, and not posted.  (In some Forums, one can assume a thousand people have the same situation, for every one person who actually posts, and clearly that is not the case for JRiver, but I would not be surprised if it is as much as ten people.)

Again, this refers to an internal web browsing engine installed by JRiver...

can confirm that this was the case for me as well. MC19 would be unresponsive for ~10 seconds upon first playback, then settle. changed internal browser to IE and all is fine. any leads or thoughts on this yet? (i'd prefer chromium!)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Hangs and Crashes [appears to be a Windows problem]
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 08:58:31 am »

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 10:24:05 am »

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2013, 08:56:21 am »

All,
Thanks for the help. It was windows wallpaper changer. By disabling that and using a static picture for wallpaper MC19 does not crash during playback. Infrequently it may stop in the menus, but only a second or two. By Infrequent it has happened only 2 times in maybe 10 hours of play. I know that seems hard to believe, but it is all that I did to the original machine with the problem in the first post. The key was using Perf Mon (resmon..) to watch the different processes. Even during video playback, windows was changing the wallpaper in the background. When it did, it utilized the disk I/O at 100% for a moment. I guess if conditions were right, the 100% usage would make 19 stall and crash. As much as once every 20 minutes or so. The wallpaper was set to change as often as possible to save the Plasma screen. Now I just use a fast screensaver.
Now the interface hang seems to be separate but doing much better. I rebuilt my theater view skin to be a lot more simple (you learn as you go) and that seems to have helped a lot, it's hard to tell. Perhaps the interface problem is tied to the wallpaper changer too, I don't know.
As far as I am concerned though, the problem is no longer a problem. From my point of view, my part of this thread is closed.
On to reading more interesting things here.

Thanks again, even if I found it myself, the ideas here helped. (The idea Norton was the issue had me looking at resmon in the first place.)

Don

abolit

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013, 10:05:31 am »

I'm having "hangs" issues as well. The jriver plays back smoothly for awhile and then it gets stuck . The only way to get it back to work is rebooting PC.
I have windows 7 64 bit. It gets annoying. I'm sure I'm not only one who experience this problem. Can the developer look into this and address the problem? This software is not free and it's not "beta" version. There should NOT be any problems like this.
I'm a software developer myself and I think as a user I don't have to find bugs myself, the developer has to do it (explorer, ssd discks, etc) it's BS!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2013, 10:19:36 am »

I'm having "hangs" issues as well. The jriver plays back smoothly for awhile and then it gets stuck . The only way to get it back to work is rebooting PC.
I have windows 7 64 bit. It gets annoying. I'm sure I'm not only one who experience this problem. Can the developer look into this and address the problem? This software is not free and it's not "beta" version. There should NOT be any problems like this.
I'm a software developer myself and I think as a user I don't have to find bugs myself, the developer has to do it (explorer, ssd discks, etc) it's BS!
If you'd like help, you might want to dial back on the attitude.

Are you using the latest build?
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85733.0

A better description of what you're playing and how you're playing it might also help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2013, 11:12:04 am »

You might also find an answer in this thread:

Weird Problems
Pages: [1]   Go Up