INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capitalization not recognised  (Read 1810 times)

arin

• Junior Woodchuck
Capitalization not recognised
« on: February 23, 2014, 08:29:34 am »

Hi,
could anybody tell me what's the best method to deal with the problem of capitalization of words in the name of tracks not being recognised by MC when importing tracks edited in another application?

In the file name MC continues to see small letters (which instead have been capitalized in the external application) but in the track list the names are correctly reporting the capitalizations. Of course when I try to play those tracks MC warns me that the file doesn't exist... If I go and manually correct the file name in the tags everyhting works again...

Any suggestion?
Thanx

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Capitalization not recognised
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:49:32 am »

Hi, could anybody tell me what's the best method to deal with the problem of capitalization of words in the name of tracks not being recognised by MC when importing tracks edited in another application?

In the file name MC continues to see small letters (which instead have been capitalized in the external application) but in the track list the names are correctly reporting the capitalizations. Of course when I try to play those tracks MC warns me that the file doesn't exist... If I go and manually correct the file name in the tags everyhting works again...
It sounds like you are renaming the files, rather than changing their tags, if they are no longer accessible in your library.

It is best to rename files inside Media Center, but if you are going to make external changes, make sure that "Update for external changes" is enabled in the auto-import configuration.

Media Center does have very good tools for fixing this sort of thing in your files though, such as Tools → Library Tools → Clean File Properties…

arin

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:00:13 am »

Hi 6233638,
thank for your reply.
Actually I was wrong when I wrote that "in the track list the names are correctly reporting the capitalizations"…they actually don't!
I use Yate on my mac to tag all my albums because what I really miss in MC is a dedicated page to do the tagging.
I'm pretty sure that the change in capitalization is written in the name tag: if I delete the album from MC and re-import it all the tags are recognized as they are.
It's only when I try to update the re-tagged albums in MC library (where those album already existed) that I find that problem.
And yes, "Update for external changes" is enabled. If I try to use "Update library (from tags" MC tells me it cannot find the file…
As I said, the only way to solve my problem is to re-name the file in the MC tag display.

Is there really no other way to deal with this than to tag in MC in the first place?

In that case I will have to adapt as I already appreciate MC too much! ;D
But in this case I'd like to ask: is there a way or a plug-in to capitalize all the track names for an album in one go in MC?

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 11:11:01 am »

what I really miss in MC is a dedicated page to do the tagging.
If you right-click a file there is a "tag" option which will open the tagging pane.

But in this case I'd like to ask: is there a way or a plug-in to capitalize all the track names for an album in one go in MC?
Yes, use the "Clean File Properties" tool I mentioned in my previous post.

arin

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 11:34:08 am »

Thanks again 6233638!
The tagging pane in MC, the one on the Action Window under the organization tree is not exactly what I would call a "friendly window"…
I didn't manage to enlarge the tag labels column in any way: is there a way to do that?
I really would like a sizable window to input tags...but maybe that will come in a future version. ;)

In the meantime I will try to use the "Clean File Properties" tool for doing what bothers me at the moment.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 03:04:43 pm »

You can also drag the divider that separates the tree from the content window, to make it larger horizontally.

Or you can tag in any text view by using F2 or by "slow" double clicking on any field.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 04:55:04 pm »

I think what arin is having problems with is that the field Labels themselves are truncated, no matter how wide you make the AW/Tree.

I find it very slow to use, because I have so many long field names that appear the same in the TAW.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 07:24:21 pm »

I think what arin is having problems with is that the field Labels themselves are truncated, no matter how wide you make the AW/Tree.

I find it very slow to use, because I have so many long field names that appear the same in the TAW.

agree. wider view on tagging field labels would be great, so not to be truncated in the tag window, or be great to have a separate pop up window for tagging that remembers window size, so don't have to resize the navigation pane for tagging.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 08:03:53 pm »

By the way, try holding down the Shift key and then opening the Tag Action Window.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

arin

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 09:46:44 am »

MrC was right (as usual! ;)) about my complaint: the space for the field labels is so narrow you can't even read some of them and they look the same at first.
That makes tagging really painful to me…

Do you think the idea of a totally independent tag window is really beyond any possible consideration?

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 12:10:33 pm »

the space for the field labels is so narrow you can't even read some of them and they look the same at first.
By the way, try holding down the Shift key and then opening the Tag Action Window.

;)

arin

• Junior Woodchuck
Capitalization not recognised
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 03:22:49 am »

Sorry guys but sometimes I think I'm dumber than usual...;)

But at last I got it!
I tried to follow straight away MrC advice about holding the Shift key while opening the Tag Action window but all I saw was a lighter shade tag pane...
I tried that on the Mac version and I thought that maybe that "special implementation" wasn't already working on the Mac.
But then I drag the right border of the tag pane and the magic happened!

Thank you all for the wonderful support :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up