INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu-ray and MKV 3D support [Under Development]  (Read 240679 times)

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Blu-ray and MKV 3D support [Under Development]
« on: January 11, 2016, 12:40:53 pm »

[Edit February 17, 2016 by jmone -- Blu-ray 3D Support is has been added 

[Edit January 26, 2016 by jmone -- 3D Support is currently Under Development and is not yet part of the Stable MC Release.  This thread is for those that like to test and provide feedback on this development.  This development work is being done by madshi (madVR), and Hendrik (LAV Filters).  It will only work if you have Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.  It's "close" but expect bugs... and pls provide feedback on what you find (and potential logs when stuff does not work).  At present it only works with MVC Encoded MKV's.  These are "ripped" from 3D BD using MakeMKV (though there have been discussion on also supporting native BD 3D at a later stage)]

[Edit January 26, 2016 by JimH -- Please see jmone's notes on installing. ]

I know there have been a few topics on 3D in the past, but, I feel that given the work that's going on with madVR and LAV Filters, it might be time to revisit this topic from the perspective of MC.  I've yet to even try playing around yet, as I just got back from a 2 week vacation, but plan on looking at it tonight.  Are there plans to integrate this support into MC once it's developed a little bit further?  I would LOVE to start playing 3D MKV's in MC...it'd negate my need for any other player completely which would seriously rock.  Anyway, just looking to see what the status of this is in terms of MC and whether this is planned to be supported at some point.  Thanks!!

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: MKV 3D support
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 01:11:00 pm »

It is only when I play MVC encoded MKVs that I have MC automatically launch Stereoscopic Player.
Are you saying that the latest work on MadVR and LAV supports 3D ?

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 01:13:47 pm »

I am.  Hence the topic.  I want to know if MC will be able to start playing 3D MKV's using LAV and madVR once they mature a bit more (if needed...I've not even tried it yet so I can't say if any more work is needed to shore up support or not).  If so, it will be a HUGE boon to me as I encode everything as MKV and only use the licensed players for 3D.  If I can start adding my 3D collection to my library in MC, I'll be super happy.  And yes, I know about stereoscopic player but that isn't what I considered an ideal solution.

Ekpen

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 02:08:57 pm »

I know there have been a few topics on 3D in the past, but, I feel that given the work that's going on with madVR and LAV Filters, it might be time to revisit this topic from the perspective of MC.  I've yet to even try playing around yet, as I just got back from a 2 week vacation, but plan on looking at it tonight.  Are there plans to integrate this support into MC once it's developed a little bit further?  I would LOVE to start playing 3D MKV's in MC...it'd negate my need for any other player completely which would seriously rock.  Anyway, just looking to see what the status of this is in terms of MC and whether this is planned to be supported at some point.  Thanks!!

Greetings:

I will be in real trouble with MC's power to be if I ever make any more noise regarding 3D support, both in the Windows Platform and the Linux platform. I have no use for third party 3D players. I will love to watch 3D movies within MC.
VI am really enjoying MC for Linux, each time a new version comes out, I make the sign of the cross to see if 3D support and Theater View (Eye Candy) integrations are now available. I guess I will be dreaming for a long time on these two topics.
Thanks.
George

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 02:14:11 pm »

Greetings:

I will be in real trouble with MC's power to be if I ever make any more noise regarding 3D support, both in the Windows Platform and the Linux platform. I have no use for third party 3D players. I will love to watch 3D movies within MC.
VI am really enjoying MC for Linux, each time a new version comes out, I make the sign of the cross to see if 3D support and Theater View (Eye Candy) integrations are now available. I guess I will be dreaming for a long time on these two topics.
Thanks.
George

So far this won't work on linux as it requires D3D11 which limits it to windows 8.1 and above.  The fact that this is being done at all is super exciting.  I'm going to mess around with installing the versions of lav filters and madVR I need to enable the support and then see if MC will play a 3D MKV.  Right now, support in LAV is limited to MKV *ONLY* as they work everything out.  I suspect at some point this will be opened up to m2ts support, as well.  For me personally, MKV support is perfect for what I need.  Once it's completely stable, I'd suspect that MC will get it by default simply by virtue of getting updated LAV and madVR.  I wanted to open this topic up for advanced users that are looking at trying it.  I'll be doing that tonight when I get a chance.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 03:02:57 pm »

Had a quick play copying in the new binaries in the Plugins folder without any luck and some twiddling of OS settings.

Not a big user of 3D but I love seeing the Feature set continue to get developed!
JRiver CEO Elect

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 03:51:06 pm »

Are you using an MKV 3d rip?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 03:52:40 pm »

MKVs ripped from 3D Blu-ray with MakeMKV are the only format that works in the current pre-release version of LAV. Make sure to select the 3D sub-track in MakeMKV when doing such a rip.
Playing the .ssif files directly from a BD structure will probably be supported in the future, however due to current limitations in the Blu-ray handling, likely not quite as complete as the 2D things (ie. only when opening the .ssif directly, not when opening the .bdmv file for title navigation)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 03:56:43 pm »

If I can start adding my 3D collection to my library in MC, I'll be super happy.

My 3D's are all in my JR MC collection, MKV encoded.  It is only if they are MVC frame packed that I automatically launch Stereoscopic Player from MC (AFAIK the only Windows player supporting MVC encoded MKVs).

I gave those MVC frame packed files a .mk3d extension, the SBS and OU have a standard .mkv extension (as for MC SBS and OU are standard video files).

I use the "Playback Info" tag (that I found none of my MKV used) in the following fashion:
- Playback Info=2D        --> play directly in MC
- Playback Info=3D SBS --> play directly in MC
- Playback Info=3D OU   --> play directly in MC
- Playback Info=3D MVC --> auto launch Stereoscopic Player directly with the filename and the right arguments for frame packed.  From memory, in Options/File Types, for .mk3d filetype I use custom program, pointing to Stereoscopic Player, and with the argument '-file:"[Filename]" -il:FrameSequentialLF -ol:AMD'

Now my life is simpler  ;)   However, JR menus are odd when seen in SBS mode through the glasses, need to get used to...

I have a custom view for movies where "Playback Info" starts with "2D" and another view for the ones where "Playback Info" starts with "3D".

Net result ?  Different views for 2D vs 3D, playback of SBS and OU requires telling the projector the right mode, and in case of frame packed MVC the projector auto detects and JRiver automatically launch Stereoscopic Player with the right parameters.

edit: Hendrik responded while I was writing.  Glad to see soon I will not need Stereoscopic Player anymore, as I rip using MakeMKV  ;D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 06:30:34 pm »

Had a longer play using a MC's "Custom video mode settings..." and a Beta LAV Install.  Found of bunch of way that it does not work with either crashes, video running twice the speed, or alternating black frames.  Not found a way to do it right yet....
JRiver CEO Elect

JackDiesel

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 07:16:21 pm »

I don't really watch 3D movies for the sole reason it's a pain to get everything started. Playing it inside MC would actually make 3D useful for me again. Would love to know how to get this set up.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 07:24:19 pm »

I'm sure it will be "simple" and integrated nicely into MC in the not too distant future when all the bugs are sorted out.  In the mean time we are just playing around with the first release.
JRiver CEO Elect

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 07:45:24 pm »

I've not been successful in getting it to work so far.  I'm using my nVidia video card and when I enable 3D in the nVidia control panel (or Windows' display settings) it simply crashes when I try to play a movie...3D or not.  When I turn off 3D mode I can play everything fine in 2D.  I believe the DLL is loading properly (I moved it into the path...don't ask) so I'm not sure what's wrong to be quite honest.  It should be working.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 07:56:09 pm »

Very excited by this. I can finally rip my ISOs to mkv and ditch ArcSoft. I'll wait until it's got the kinks worked out, because there's no point fighting it at this point.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 07:57:31 pm »

It's not an MC problem in my case, at least.  Something else is going on.  I'll post over in madVR thread and see if I can get it sorted.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 08:15:15 pm »

Yeah same here with the crashes.  If you "reset" the MadVR settings then it will not crash, I then started re-enabling stuff and for me it is the D3D11 mode that seems to cause the crash.
JRiver CEO Elect

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 08:33:48 pm »

And obviously it needs d3d11 to work so that's of no help to us.

apgood

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 08:42:35 pm »

Based on some of the discussions over on the Doom9 forums I think the D3D11 mode crashes are related to NVidia. 

Hopefully I'll get time tonight to play around with installing the new lav filters and MadVR in MC with my R9 270x and see how that works or maybe with my Surface Pro..

If I do get a chance I'll be sure to pass on my results.

RD James

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 09:48:45 pm »

Does 3D playback use more memory?
JRiver would crash as soon as I played 4K files until I reduced the queue size because it's a 32-bit player.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 01:22:24 am »

MKVs ripped from 3D Blu-ray with MakeMKV are the only format that works in the current pre-release version of LAV. Make sure to select the 3D sub-track in MakeMKV when doing such a rip.
Playing the .ssif files directly from a BD structure will probably be supported in the future, however due to current limitations in the Blu-ray handling, likely not quite as complete as the 2D things (ie. only when opening the .ssif directly, not when opening the .bdmv file for title navigation)
Well done, Hendrik (and madshi) for getting this far!  Thank you!

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 03:16:28 am »

Very happy in the UK ;o)

At the moment SBS was my only option meaning reduced resolution.

I assume any 3D movies i have on Bluray just need ripping with MakeMKV and they will play automatically with the latest version of Lav?

You guys are great!

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 10:51:09 am »

It's still in testing right now.  Some of us are having some problems getting it to work on nVidia machines.  I've got it so that lav splitter is splitting it properly, lav video is using the intel decoder correctly, and madVR is not currently outputting 3D.  I've verified that madVR is at least using the D3D11 path which is good.  3D is enabled in the Windows 10 display settings.  So it should be working.  Hopefully I'll be able to play around with it more tonight.  We'll see.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 11:42:58 am »

Well done, Hendrik (and madshi) for getting this far!  Thank you!

Yes, thanks to you/them both.

Will test with my nVidia systems as soon as Hendrik gives the go-ahead.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 05:05:51 pm »

Cross post from madVR Thread.  Has anyone got it working with MC yet as I'm stumped
Thanks
Nathan

Still no luck on 3D (Win10 64-Bit, nVidia 660Ti):
- Installed LAV latest nightly (but still need to copy the DLL to the Windows Directory) - setting reset
- Reset madVR to default (but turned off Exclusive Mode)
- Uninstalled the nVidia 3D Play & 3D Player App
- Rebooted and did the nVidia 3D Setup just fine.

When I:
- Turn on 3D in Win 10 panel the TV / Glasses go into 3D
- Play MKV 3D and will get SBS output if using D3D9
- Play MKV 3D and will get MC Crashing if using D3D11

Some info in the Ctrl+J OSD would really help!

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 05:07:31 pm »

Nope.  Haven't had any success at all.  Using the latest nightly of LAV, as well.  Tried 64 bit MPC-HC, as well.  Nothing works so far.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 05:32:34 pm »

Are people having any luck with AMD ?

apgood

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 05:59:51 pm »

Haven't had a chance to test it yet.  Hopefully tonight I'll test it with Intel and if that works then I'll try using AMD on my HTPC.

apgood

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 05:12:22 am »

Ok just tested on AMD R9 270x. It works sort of. It enables 3D mode on my projector and my projector says it is receiving frame packed 3D but there is no 3D depth.  It's almost like the depth adjustment setting is at 0.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2016, 05:02:29 pm »

Cross post from madVR
I think I've found the 3D issue for me in MC and it has something to do with "Bookmarks" and how playback is commenced (100% repeatable):
- If I play the 3D MKV from the beginning it works.
- If I seek while playing it works.
- If I double stop (reset book mark) then playback will commence from the beginning and 3D works
- If I stop/play (so playback commences from where I left off and not from the begining) it will go to SBS / using D3D9. If I try to force D3D11 in the madVR Settings it will crash MC.

My test setup was as simple as I could get it:
- Fresh install of madVR with default settings (but Windows Exclusive unchecked) No other changes
- Put Win 10 64-Bit Desktop into 3D
- Put the nVidia Control Panel into 1080/23hz/3D (so no switching is required by madVR)
- Commence playback testing

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

apgood

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2016, 06:39:32 am »

Got 3D working in jriver mc using amd r9 270x.  I needed to install crimson 16.1 hotfix, latest MadVR and LAV.  The other thing I had to do in my projector is swap which eye comes first from "normal" to "swapped".

At first the video was a bit jerky but once I reduced all the scaling algorithms to no more than about super-xbr 100 or was fine.

Start and stop behaviour is the same as what jmone describes.

rec head

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2016, 08:36:42 am »

This is exciting news. I may upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 just for this.

apgood

• World Citizen
Re: Re:
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2016, 03:39:04 am »

Got 3D working in jriver mc using amd r9 270x.  I needed to install crimson 16.1 hotfix, latest MadVR and LAV.  The other thing I had to do in my projector is swap which eye comes first from "normal" to "swapped".

At first the video was a bit jerky but once I reduced all the scaling algorithms to no more than about super-xbr 100 or was fine.

Start and stop behaviour is the same as what jmone describes.
Just an update on the need to swap which eye is needed first.

I check the 3D mkv's in through my Mede8er and they had to be swapped there as well, so either it is because I created them with an older version of MakeMKV or they are encoded that way in the bluray.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2016, 04:00:55 am »

Which version of lav do I need to try this out? Anything else I need to know to get 3D working. My PCs NVIDIA 980ti

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2016, 04:02:43 am »

FYI - It under dev at present and while not ready for prime time just yet it is getting closer.  If you want to test you will need both the latest madVR Version, and the LAV Nightly from the doom 9 threads. 
JRiver CEO Elect

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2016, 07:04:51 am »

doesnt work for me. 3D doesn't get enabled when i launch a 3D movie ripped using Make MKV. I have enabled check box in Madvr stereo 3d settings.

Anything else i need to do?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2016, 09:53:44 am »

i have just went through the Nvidia 3D setup and everything works perfectly.

Amazing stuff guys 3D auto switching works as well  my LG oled sees the 3D signal and changes and when stop playback goes back to 2D

Thanks for adding this brilliant feature.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2016, 02:39:25 pm »

FYI - Latest versions of madVR and LAV are coming on nicely and it is much more stable.  Also works with Videoclock and Display Rate changing just fine.
JRiver CEO Elect

stewart_pk

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2016, 09:29:39 pm »

I can't wait to try this and I hope it works so I can stop having to use PowerDVD through JRiver's WDM Driver!
It's not like that's bad on a HTPC; just cumbersome.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2016, 01:08:41 am »

Still no 3D for me in MC21 TV switches desktop switches but 3D films still 2D!

madshi

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2016, 01:10:24 am »

In the doom9 forum there's a report that with MC the video only shows in 3D when the MC OSD is visible, but goes back to 2D when you hide the OSD. Can anybody confirm/deny?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2016, 01:41:27 am »

Im about to go and try that now.

Last night i installed the latest Mdvr and Lav and i can confirm 3D was enabled on my desktop (although the switching seems a bit variable) but within JRiver the 3D movie was still 2D.
I haven't tried a different player like MHC yet but will do and will post back.
I use Nvidia 980 Ti with latest signed drivers!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2016, 01:43:29 am »

FYI for me it the the opposite.
- 3D is fine without any OSD present, and also when using the the Theater View OSD at the bottom that appears when using the RC keys, but
- Drops to 2D when accessing the the Std View one at the top when you move the mouse have hover around the top.  As soon as it appears then it immediately goes to 2D but with the madVR saying it is still in 3D.  It does not recover when this OSD disappears.  100% Reproducible for me.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2016, 02:11:57 am »

i think the MC OSD thing is a red herring. I think it was Madvr going in and out of exclusive mode.

My problem still stands ripped 3D movies  from MakemKV switch my LG Oled to 3D mode but they are not in 3D they still look like a normal 2D movie. Also if i play a SBS rip that is seen as 3D but my TV doesnt realise its SBS and so i still get 2 images on the screen.

Maybe i have some settings wrong in Madvr not sure.  Im going to try MPC see if that works.

Any advice on initial settings i should use?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2016, 02:13:43 am »

FYI for me it the the opposite.
- 3D is fine without any OSD present, and also when using the the Theater View OSD at the bottom that appears when using the RC keys, but
- Drops to 2D when accessing the the Std View one at the top when you move the mouse have hover around the top.  As soon as it appears then it immediately goes to 2D but with the madVR saying it is still in 3D.  It does not recover when this OSD disappears.  100% Reproducible for me.

Thanks
Nathan

are you using Nvidia if so whats your settings? any screen shots you could provide so i can replicate?  Thanks

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2016, 05:01:10 am »

First thing is to check the madVR OSD Stats, and you should see info like:
- NV12, 8Bit, 4:2:0 (3D) - this means the LAV is decoding the 3D Image
- D3D11 (3D) - this means that madVR is rendering a 3D image

I too am using nvidia (660Ti, latest drivers).  

For testing I'm keeping it simple by
- enableing 3D in the Windows (10) display properties and in nvidia changing it to 23hz (note: You also need to have run the nvidia 3D setup)
- stock madVR settings except that all the 3D options are checked and Exclusive mode is unchecked (so it is not a red herring for me).
JRiver CEO Elect

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2016, 05:57:01 am »

It's not a red herring for me either as it happens with or without exclusive mode set in madvr. I only get 3d when the osd is displayed. As soon as the osd goes off screen again, it goes back to 2d. The exact same settings in madvr work perfectly with mpc-hc.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2016, 07:15:49 am »

hmmmmm

for me settings replicated as suggested but in OSD of madvr I get D3D9

maybe i have ripped the 3d movie incorrectly or something

any ideas?

madshi

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2016, 07:54:10 am »

@jmone and @SamuriHL,

is there any relation of the 3D vs 2D viewing to the "low latency mode"? The low latency mode can be spotted in the Ctrl+J OSD by looking at the size of the present queue. If it's "something/2" it's low latency mode. And when you lose the 3D effect through activation or deactivation of the OSD, does the 3D effect ever come back? Or is it gone for good?

@Daveyravey, is that a 3D MVC MKV made by MakeMKV? That's the only file that is supported at the moment. According to your screenshot, madVR is *not* receiving 3D from the decoder. So either you don't have the latest LAV nightly installed, or your file isn't a 3D MVC MKV.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2016, 08:03:25 am »

is it because the check flag DSD11 isnt enabled?  If i enable it it plays back as D3D11

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2016, 08:06:20 am »

I'll check if I get a chance. But it's not gone for good. It comes back as soon as I bring the osd back and goes back to 2d as soon as the osd disappears. Weirdest thing I've ever seen. The glasses still believe it's getting 3d even when it's not being displayed.

Daveyravey you need d3d11 set, yes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10   Go Up