INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing MC30 and Questions  (Read 14542 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Installing MC30 and Questions
« on: October 03, 2022, 03:10:43 pm »

Please read these instructions
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Upgrade  (begin at Installation)

Download files can be found on the Download Page and on the MC30 boards here. 

You can retrieve your license here:  https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi

On Windows, your existing data will be found and used by MC30.  On Mac and Linux, you just need to restore a backup:  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

Keep your prior version installed until you're happy with MC30.  Then uninstall it. 

Please post any questions here.

lello

• MC Beta Team
Re: Installing MC30 and Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 02:39:41 am »

Updated. No installation problems :)

mikolajek

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 09:41:30 am »

I have a question about folders.

The legacy version was installed in *\Media Center 29\ folder, the current version intends to get installed in *\Media Center 30 folder". Does it mean I'm gonna have two MC versions on my engine, or will the legacy version get uninstalled?

And a related question - what if I want to have MC installed in a folder without its version (*\Media Center\) and upgrade to the next build? Can safely overwrite the existing installation in this folder?

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 11:07:20 am »

I’ve asked this on other versions and the answer is that you can uninstall the previous version when you are satisfied with the new one.

Jeff
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

vdidenko

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 11:49:32 am »

I bought an MC29 -> MC30 upgrade three days ago. However, JRiver email "JRiver Media Center 30 Builds Are Available Now" states today:

You own an MC30 license, even if you purchased MC29.  You can retrieve your license from our Restore Page.

What gives, should have I not paid for the upgrade?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 12:28:06 pm »

Check your licenses.

Edit.  You may not have understood.  You purchased MC29 in February, then MC30 recently.  There's nothing wrong about that.  Only very recent purchasers of MC29 received an MC30 license.

GrahamG

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2022, 01:54:58 pm »

I have a question about folders.

The legacy version was installed in *\Media Center 29\ folder, the current version intends to get installed in *\Media Center 30 folder". Does it mean I'm gonna have two MC versions on my engine, or will the legacy version get uninstalled?

And a related question - what if I want to have MC installed in a folder without its version (*\Media Center\) and upgrade to the next build? Can safely overwrite the existing installation in this folder?

MC29 and MC30 will co-exist happily until you uninstall MC29.

R32NJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 03:41:09 pm »

I am upgrading from MC28.  My audio settings do not seem to have transferred over.  Likewise my theme did not transfer but that was an easy fix.

Is there something that needs to be done to copy ALL settings to MC30 from MC28?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 03:50:42 pm »

Backup in your old version,  restore in the new one.  Pay attention to the dialogs.  Settings are optional.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2022, 04:21:42 pm »

Backup in your old version,  restore in the new one.  Pay attention to the dialogs.  Settings are optional.
Thanks! I did not know that.

R32NJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2022, 04:46:00 pm »

Thanks Jim.  I guess I have hobbled through over previous upgrades manually.  Good to know there is a better way.

mikolajek

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2022, 05:14:13 pm »

I’ve asked this on other versions and the answer is that you can uninstall the previous version when you are satisfied with the new one.

Thank you, Jeff! Can you also advise on installing over into the same folder?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2022, 05:16:17 pm »

Just use the default unless you have a good reason to do otherwise. 

Brian2020

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 06:57:25 am »

Please read these instructions
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Upgrade  (begin at Installation)

Download files can be found on the MC30 boards here. 

You can retrieve your license here:  https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi

On Windows, your existing data will be found and used by MC30.  On Mac and Linux, you just need to restore a backup:  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

Keep your prior version installed until you're happy with MC30.  Then uninstall it. 

Please post any questions here.

Saw the recent email about MC30 and straightaway purchased an upgrade for mac. When can we expect MC30 for mac to be available?
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2022, 07:04:16 am »

In a few days. On the Download Page now.

Brian2020

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2022, 07:24:49 am »

Thanks Jim! Looking forward.

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2022, 02:44:00 pm »

I purchased MC30 but I never purchased MC29, and so I have been happily using MC28 for the past two years. Should I install MC29 before installing MC30 to ensure a smooth transition and copying of all my present settings in MC28 to MC30, and if this is recommended, how/where do I download and install MC29 (which, as I said, I never purchased or installed)?
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2022, 03:23:39 pm »

I purchased MC30 but I never purchased MC29, and so I have been happily using MC28 for the past two years. Should I install MC29 before installing MC30 ...
No.  Just install MC30.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2022, 10:04:04 am »

To be clear .. so I am clear .. the "backup" is of the Library? When restoring *that* there will be an option to restore all setting?

Thanks,
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2022, 12:19:44 pm »

Yes

jshiu

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2022, 03:49:21 am »

I am using MC29 for window, can I upgrade to mc30 master version? I have a computer in another room using ios.  Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2022, 06:46:16 am »

I am using MC29 for window, can I upgrade to mc30 master version?
Yes.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2022, 08:44:13 pm »

To be clear .. so I am clear .. the "backup" is of the Library? When restoring *that* there will be an option to restore all setting?

Thanks,
Jeff
I need a bit more guidance. Backing up the Library is done on the server with the local library. How do I backup/restore the
settings/options on a client?

jshiu

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2022, 10:55:09 pm »

eatt8884

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2022, 05:13:35 am »

Hi All,
Purchased MC30. Windows version. Running MC29. Have new install codes. Downloaded several times. Welcome page comes up.
No install? No install icon? 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2022, 06:49:37 am »

Run the file you downloaded by clicking on it in Explorer.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2022, 12:08:49 pm »

How is backup/restore of the settings/options on a client done?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2022, 03:16:26 pm »

Backup in old version, restore in new version.  Read carefully when you do.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2022, 08:23:14 am »

I tried backing up (Library) in client and got a notice about only local libraries can be backed up. What am I doing wrong?

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2022, 04:45:13 pm »

No.  Just install MC30.

I installed MC30 as you directed, with MC28 previously installed. It copied over the libraries and library views. I changed the skin setting.

BUT it did not copy over any of my ZONES from the previous version MC28?

Do I really need to manually recreate all the zones with their complicated DSP and audio settings along with zone switch rules in the new version? I hope not, because that will be a PITA.
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2022, 04:50:43 pm »

Compared with MC28, there are now missing some helpful menu options from the top bar, notably Library, Playlists, Add Playlist, Run Auto-Import Now, and Refresh.

Can I add those back?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2022, 04:54:01 pm »

Right click at the top to customize.

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2022, 05:06:09 pm »

Right click at the top to customize.

right clicking in Windows 10 at top of MC30 as you suggested. I see I can customize the playback display as to file info (guess this means I have to manually copy over my playback  display settings from previous version, huh?). But I see no way to add those other top menu items that I asked about.

I especially want to see Library dropdown menu and auto-import and refresh up top.

And what about zones, do I have to manually recreate all that?

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2022, 05:32:05 pm »

MC28: In the ALBUMS library view for Audio and for Video the albums are displayed alphabetically discarding 'a' or 'the' when those articles appear at the beginning of the album title.

MC30: Audio albums appear correctly in alphabetical order discarding articles, but Video albums are alphabetical including 'a' and 'the'... how do I change this?

And all these things I am posting here (top menu options, zone copy over, video album order, etc)... should I be posting this info in the BUGs discussion?? Should I be posting separate topics for each?

At this point I am not enjoying have to check and compare all my special configurations in MC28 with MC30 to see if they carry over or if I have to manually create them again. Big time suck, you know?

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2022, 05:33:23 pm »

right clicking in Windows 10 at top of MC30 as you suggested. I see I can customize the playback display as to file info (guess this means I have to manually copy over my playback  display settings from previous version, huh?). But I see no way to add those other top menu items that I asked about.

I especially want to see Library dropdown menu and auto-import and refresh up top.

I know Jim already suggested what I detail below, but it was to it different user.  So if I missed in your posts that you have already tried this, my apologies in advance.

Have you tried running restore from within MC 30, but pointing to your last MC 28 backup?  I ask, because I have guided many users into restoring from a prior versions backup, and not once has it failed to return everything back to what it was.

MC automatically does this when installing a new version, but when it occasionally fails to reconstitute everything exactly as before, without exception it happens when a major version is skipped (as in your case, going from 28 to 30). If you have not performed this process yet, I am highly confident that doing so will resolve the issue. Be sure to enable the checkbox for Restore Settings.

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2022, 05:37:42 pm »

I know Jim already suggested what I detail below, but it was to it different user.  So if I missed in your posts that you have already tried this, my apologies in advance.

Have you tried running restore from within MC 30, but pointing to your last MC 28 backup?  I ask, because I have guided many users into restoring from a prior versions backup, and not once has it failed to return everything back to what it was.

MC automatically does this when installing a new version, but when it occasionally fails to reconstitute everything exactly as before, without exception it happens when a major version is skipped (as in your case, going from 28 to 30). If you have not performed this process yet, I am highly confident that doing so will resolve the issue. Be sure to enable the checkbox for Restore Settings.

I have NOT tried running restore from within MC30. I explicitly asked here if I should install MC29 (which I never purchased or used) before installing MC30 and I was told to just go ahead and install 30. I was a bit afraid if it would copy everything from MC28 but I did as I was instructed.

So now how do I restore from MC28 in MC30? Please provide instructions for doing so. What I am asking is where do I find the setting in MC30 to restore from MC28, where is this checkbox located? Thanks...

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2022, 06:03:27 pm »

With MC 30 open, go to File/Library/Restore Library… .  In the ensuing dialog be sure to tick the Restore Settings checkbox.  From there, browse to the MC 28 backup folder, and select the very last backup zip file.  If you don't know where the MC 28 backups are stored, look at the third picture. That said, it will likely populate with the correct location for you automatically.

Menu: https://i.imgur.com/q3mOs3u.jpg
Dialog: https://i.imgur.com/9I7u6N4.png
Backup Location: https://i.imgur.com/wNTblt5.png

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2022, 07:25:02 pm »

Ahem, HOW DO I MOVE ALL SETTINGS/OPTIONS from a MC29 client to a MC30 client? I seem to be stuck as clients can only back up local libraries. If it had a local library it wouldn’t be a client.

Obviously I am missing something important.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2022, 09:56:13 pm »

right clicking in Windows 10 at top of MC30 as you suggested. I see I can customize the playback display as to file info
Wrong spot.  Right near the top.  Move left or right if necessary.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Toolbars#:~:text=Customize%20Toolbars&text=To%20customize%20the%20toolbars%2C%20right,and%20rearrange%20the%20items%20displayed.

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2022, 06:58:26 pm »

So now how do I restore from MC28 in MC30? Please provide instructions for doing so. What I am asking is where do I find the setting in MC30 to restore from MC28, where is this checkbox located? Thanks...

Instructions were provided. Did you run the restore operation as described, and if so, did it fix all the issues from your earlier post?

MC28: In the ALBUMS library view for Audio and for Video the albums are displayed alphabetically discarding 'a' or 'the' when those articles appear at the beginning of the album title.

MC30: Audio albums appear correctly in alphabetical order discarding articles, but Video albums are alphabetical including 'a' and 'the'... how do I change this?

And all these things I am posting here (top menu options, zone copy over, video album order, etc)... should I be posting this info in the BUGs discussion?? Should I be posting separate topics for each?

At this point I am not enjoying have to check and compare all my special configurations in MC28 with MC30 to see if they carry over or if I have to manually create them again. Big time suck, you know?

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2022, 07:44:45 pm »

Instructions were provided. Did you run the restore operation as described, and if so, did it fix all the issues from your earlier post?

Thanks for following up, I've been sick and so I've put this on hold for a day or two. I've got your reply bookmarked and will follow your directions later this week and post here with the results. Your attentive assistance is much appreciated.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2022, 07:52:45 pm »

Sorry to hear that you have been sick.

I am interested in hearing if it works.  It's not as though I am getting paid to do any of this, so if I put in the effort to try and help somebody, I like to know if it actually helps!  Hope you feel better soon.

Sjakkie

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2022, 03:22:57 pm »

Hey JRiver users.
I have a question? I use JRiver mediacenter for a very long time, every year i buy the new version. But now I have a question about MC29, i use it from my desktop to my TV and soundbar. Now the sound of the soundbar is a bit flat, so i went to the JRiver equalizer and set the setting who i wanted. The problem is that when i select the equalizer in JRiver than the sound give one second sound and then it stops. When i set the equaliser out i got a good working system, but i want to use the equalizer for more bass and high tones, but then the program won't give sound on my sounbar and TV.
Is there anybody who has the same problem, and how can i solve this problem.
Regards
Sjak

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2022, 04:10:17 pm »

Ahem, HOW DO I MOVE ALL SETTINGS/OPTIONS from a MC29 client to a MC30 client? I seem to be stuck as clients can only back up local libraries. If it had a local library it wouldn’t be a client.

Obviously I am missing something important.
I can help you with that, pepar! I just installed MC30 on a PC that already had MC29, being used as a client to a PC elsewhere in the house running as the Library Server, and apparently MC30 read and imported the settings in the Tools > Options panel. All of the video renderer and audio settings I had set in MC29 were there in MC30.

Leiph

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2022, 05:11:29 am »

Quoting just to stress the question about zones. They are not migrated into MC30, please advise about importing.

/Leiph

sygnus21

• Junior Woodchuck
Why Does MC30 display "Remote" in the header box
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2022, 11:46:36 am »

Just curious, Why Does MC30 display "Remote" in the header box? Previous versions never did this.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2022, 12:26:33 pm »

Try right clicking up there and choosing Customize Display.

sygnus21

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2022, 11:51:09 am »

Try right clicking up there and choosing Customize Display.

Yes, but the question is why does it say "remote"? The point of the question is compared to previous versions that never had that. Am I running in remote? Should I be running in remote? Is there a configuration setting to run locally?  I just need to know why "remote"?  If this is a non-issue, that helps to know as well.

Thanks.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2022, 12:22:16 pm »

Is the content stored on the computer that’s running MC (local) or stored on a different device, a “remote” device?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up