INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod Sync  (Read 13010 times)

arvi

• Recent member
iPod Sync
« on: April 01, 2011, 07:37:56 pm »

i would rather that MC get the basics right rather than add more and more features.  I am still not able to use MC to sync my ipod (see my post here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63379.0) and it is so frustrating and takes so long to do something basic that I hesitate in trying any of the more advanced features-- I would rather spend my time enjoying my music than fixing the tools required to play it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Complaint Department -- iPod Sync
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 07:45:41 pm »

Chris:

I totally agree with you...i would rather that MC get the basics right rather than add more and more features.  I am still not able to use MC to sync my ipod (see my post here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63379.0) and it is so frustrating and takes so long to do something basic that I hesitate in trying any of the more advanced features-- I would rather spend my time enjoying my music than fixing the tools required to play it.
Tell Apple what you want.

arvi

• Recent member
Re: Complaint Department -- iPod Sync
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:07:47 pm »

Jim:

Give me a break.  This is not an Apple problem.  I have NO problem syncing onto an ipod using other players. 
I am deeply disappointed with this flippant attitude.

shAf

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 01:18:51 pm »

If what you are suggesting actually worked (... as well as it does relative to the extent JR listens ...) we'd all be using a much better version of iTunes.  I won't bad-mouth Apple for "keeping it simple" (... in fact, a primary reason for buying my wife & I an iPhone over Android ...), but even JR needs to admit that Apple did get the hardware right ... if not software implementation and the flexibility that many of us soon ask for.

... my CA$0.02  :o)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 01:29:07 pm »

I would be shocked and amazed if Apple changes their policy. They will continue to make it difficult for anyone to NOT use iTunes to sync their devices.

MC can already work with all of the Apple devices if you use MCiS. I suggest you refer to the following thread.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51734.0

shAf

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 04:45:01 am »

MC can already work with all of the Apple devices if you use MCiS. ...

I tried MCiS some time ago ... too difficult to set up and didn't work for me. 

MCiS is in fact another example of how MC relies on 3rd-party development, which still begs the question as to why it's not built into MC(?)

my CA$0.02  :)

sunfire7

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 11:39:58 pm »

I tried MCiS too, but is too complex for everyday use (at least for me) and even more if you use lossless, we need a simple but practical way to sync to our devices, J River can't let us down, I believe if the team improves the "export to itunes" feature it would be less complaints and more happy users  :) please Jim I'm begging  :P
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

shAf

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 01:57:50 pm »

I tried MCiS too, but is too complex for everyday use (at least for me) and even more if you use lossless, we need a simple but practical way to sync to our devices, J River can't let us down, I believe if the team improves the "export to itunes" feature it would be less complaints and more happy users  :) please Jim I'm begging  :P

See here for a method that might be easier, but requires yet another plugin, and still needs improvements from JR to be as easy as it should be:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62622.msg424162#msg424162

... I'm begging too   :-*

TIA  :)

sunfire7

Re: iPod Sync
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 12:02:54 am »

Shaf, I already have my way to sync:

1.- I have a view with filters of the files I want to sync (instead of an smart list)
2.- I build cache for my lossless files, with a handheld, since the build cache on background feature doesnt have full encoder dialog (I dont want 320kbps or 128kbps, I want lame v2, please Jim help me out)
3.- I select my sync view, and select all files inside, and right clic > stacks> expand stacks
4.- File > Export to iphone & itunes

Itunes can only take lossy files, but as I have mp3's as cache of my lossless files, there is no problem.

5.- Once the export is finished, (all files remind selected) right clic> stacks > collapse stacks

Is the easiest way I found to sync to my device, and I have been asking for improvements on MC to make this more usable and easy, and JRiver IS responding, the cache on background is now added, I hope the other things will be implemented soon, as full encoder dialog on background cache and some "automatic" export of cache files to itunes (to not have to expand and collapse the stacked files)
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

BenRad

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 09:31:31 pm »

This was the reason I left JRiver and Media Center, and then I just came back and was reminded of why I left.

AntonyWhite

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 02:53:00 am »

There are a number of potential fixes for this issue:
Try phone transfer tools.
Reinstall iTunes. In some cases this issue can be resolved by completely removing then reinstalling iTunes as described in this Apple Knowledge Base article.
Remove third-party backup or antivirus software. If you’ve installed software for an external hard drive or another device, it may include an automatic backup utility that recognizes the iOS device as a storage device, interfering with the normal sync process. Try uninstalling any such software then re-syncing.
Disable network connection. In some cases, simply disabling your network connection (turning off AirPort or unplugging your Ethernet cable) will resolve the slow or stuck backup phase. It appears that iTunes performs some data network data transfer during the backup process which can, for unknown reasons, take an extremely long time or become stalled.
Restore instead of update. Backup your iPhone or iPod touch, then perform a restore process instead of using the check for update function. This may allow the iPhone or iPod touch to successfully receive the iOS 4.0 update, after which sync processes should occur at normal speed.
Switch USB ports. Try switching your iPhone or iPod touch to a different USB port. In particular, if you are using a hub or other intermediary device, try connecting the device directly to your computer.
Delete iTunes .plist. If you are using Mac OS X, delete the following file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.itunes.plist then restart

statiker81

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 06:38:30 pm »

Mediacenter is the best software out there. I have a license all the way back to v11.
The only thing that annoys me is the lack of support for new generation ipad,iphone,ipod devices.

I have been using a simple tool that reads the MC library, accesses iTunes via the iTunes SDK (iTunesCOMInterface.h) and synchronizes both databases.
http://www.misterpete.co.uk/
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/15371/Extracting-iTunes-Data-and-Responding-to-its-Event

You can even synchronize cached lossy mp3s of your lossless files with itunes and still synchronize playcount etc.

I really can not understand why the same feature should not be possible from within MC!!!!!

That would be THE feature, if ipod support would be restored.

THANKS

Pages: [1]   Go Up