INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading to MC18 -- Questions and Comments  (Read 55222 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Upgrading to MC18 -- Questions and Comments
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2012, 03:19:54 pm »

Just upgraded using the 'alternate method' and it all went smoothly.  Thank you JRiver and all the beta guys!

Only question: when v18 comes out in a month, will we have to do a license restore to get a new install key, or will the key we received on purchasing be good?

Thanks again.  Wonderful to see one of my favorite products continue to thrive after all these years.
Thanks very much.

Yes, you will need to do a Restore.

skylarplane

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2012, 03:22:35 pm »

Where is the link for MC18 like it is normally for MC17

Skylar

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2012, 03:26:24 pm »

Please download and install MC17.0.  The Download page (link above) has the "stable" build.  A newer, but possibly less stable build may be found in a thread near the top of this board.

Purchase through the Help menu in MC17.  Upgrades are $18.98 through August 10, 2012.  The regular price is $26.98.

If you have already purchased MC17, but would like to purchase an upgrade now, please see the instructions below.

Complete Upgrade Instructions are on our Wiki

maid

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2012, 08:01:00 pm »

Just upgraded.

Can we have select all back in Theater view?
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

Dick C

• Recent member
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2012, 05:20:43 am »

I have purchased the upgrade to MC 18 but when I run the downloaded programme I just get a message telling me the licence has been installed. MC 18 doesn't install - MC17 is still there. What have I missed?

G Tiemessen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2012, 05:28:57 pm »

Hallo Jim,
Ik ben reeds in het bezit van MC17 en ik heb $18,98 betaald voor MC18.
Ik heb de licentie geinstalleerd voor MC 17 en MC18 maar mijn vraag is nu waar kan ik dat aan zien,dat ik ook MC18 versie Licentie heb? Want dat zie ik nergens aan ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2012, 05:30:53 pm »

http://www.jriver.com/purchase_18_as_upgrade.html will work if you have already purchased MC17.

cattani

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Come to Black Sea !!! Constanta !!!
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2012, 08:31:56 am »

Just upgraded from MC16 to MC18 license.  Works fine.
The MC18 license i use now with latest MC17 until MC18 comes out.
First time i purchase MC13 i think :). Great program !

thank you for great work !
Fii optimist si asteapta imposibilul !!!

G Tiemessen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2012, 10:49:55 am »

[Hallo ik was al in het bezit van een MC17 Licentie,en ik heb ook een Mc18 licentie gekocht.
Voor circa $18.95 .Ik heb deze licentie ook geinstalleerd.Mijn vraag is nu,waar kan ik nu zien dat ik ook daadwerkelijk een MC18
licentie in mijn bezit heb]

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2012, 11:17:12 am »

GT,
If you have questions in German, please use the German language board.  I don't speak German at all.  Sorry.

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2012, 06:34:52 pm »

I have purchased the upgrade to MC 18 but when I run the downloaded programme I just get a message telling me the licence has been installed. MC 18 doesn't install - MC17 is still there. What have I missed?
MC18 hasnt' been released yet. The license that you just purchased, works for MC17.

woodduck

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2012, 07:58:58 pm »

A little bit disappointed, I purchased MC17 on the 16th of June, 2012 at full price, only to find the update is imminent and I am not entitled to MC18! Jipped is the key word that comes to mind!!! :'( Bit crazy to spend even more money a month after pruchase!

tachyonv

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2012, 10:54:51 pm »

Need to support all DVD formats including BluRay, without requiring use of third party software.

Need MUCH better tag editing capability. E.g., ability to edit groups of music files. Like changing genre's for hundreds of music files with one entry at genre level, to change or correct genre names for a large group of CDs including all tracks within the CDs. . Changing tag info for all tracks within one CD, with one entry at CD title level. This is more important the more CDs one has. I have 3,500+ CDs, and the ripping software often does NOT capture the correct info - MC's tag editing is far too primitive to help manage a large library of music.

tachyonv

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2012, 10:57:51 pm »

Have version 17. Don't see anything compellingly useful by way of bug fixes if any, and new features, in version 18, yet. What makes upgrading to 18 a worthwhile investment?

doctorjazz

• Recent member
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2012, 11:44:49 pm »

I'm not succeeding at the upgrade (tried it once before, gave up that time). Have the registration in a secure database, didn't work, got full price listed as I went to buy upgrade. Can't find email with registration. Can't even find the link to have it sent to me. Getting frustrated.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2012, 04:13:08 am »

Sorry, but I can't find the answer to my simple question, although you state that 'instructions are below'.
The question is: I've got MC 17 and bought the upgrade. I received the .mjr file.
Apparantly the first beta of MC 18 isn't available yet.
I 'installed' the key by double clicking it.
Now: will MC 18 import that same key when it's installed?
If no: does this mjr dry up in 2 weeks like always? Or can this one be used with the first install of MC 18, no matter when I install it? I'm going on holiday tomorrow, you see?

Thanks for your time!
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

wormdazzler

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2012, 04:56:29 am »

Purchased MC18, got registration key, got message saying "installed successfully" but prog still days it's MC17. Any ideas please?

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2012, 06:08:25 am »

GT,
If you have questions in German, please use the German language board.  I don't speak German at all.  Sorry.
He's Dutch :-)
Mark Coutinho

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2012, 06:37:56 am »

Sorry, but I can't find the answer to my simple question, although you state that 'instructions are below'.
The question is: I've got MC 17 and bought the upgrade. I received the .mjr file.
Apparantly the first beta of MC 18 isn't available yet.
I 'installed' the key by double clicking it.
Now: will MC 18 import that same key when it's installed?
If no: does this mjr dry up in 2 weeks like always? Or can this one be used with the first install of MC 18, no matter when I install it? I'm going on holiday tomorrow, you see?
When MC18 is available, just install it.  It will recognize the MC18 that you've installed.

Have a nice holiday.

ghoti

• Recent member
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2012, 09:47:46 am »

I purchased MC17 in May, and will likely pay this upgrade to get the cheaper price.  I notice that the $18.98 price is available to everyone all the way back to MC10.  I think it would be a nice gesture to the people that have the current version to give them a larger discount.  I see from the boards that many of them pay for these upgrades every year, and having a larger discount for people already on the current version would be greatly appreciated by them (and me) for sure.

Again, I'm likely going to buy at the $18.98 price, just suggesting something to think about...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2012, 10:06:18 am »

I split a post and moved it to the MC17 board.

Bill Kearney's Stability Problems

lasttime

• Recent member
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2012, 10:18:54 am »

I can't imagine why I would upgrade to 18 when I can't get 17 to function properly  OR  for that matter why I can't get A  --  meaning one reply to my e-mails  ---  multiple e-mails!  JUST ONE REPLY.  >:(
You have NO customer service.
HC2C

csum

• Recent member
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2012, 10:19:53 am »

I've been on MC17 since before it went live! I've been an MC customer since the dawn of time (MC10)! What kind of discounts can I get on MC18?

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2012, 10:26:43 am »

JR has customer service.  And if your requests match up with their direction then you're set.  But if not, well, don't go holding your breath.  But it's unfair to say they have NO customer service, that's just not accurate nor true.

MC is cheap, even at the full price.   Yeah, we'd all like something about it to be better, and maybe someday that'll happen.  But between now than then paying $20 is pretty cheap.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2012, 10:35:22 am »

I can't imagine why I would upgrade to 18 when I can't get 17 to function properly  OR  for that matter why I can't get A  --  meaning one reply to my e-mails

Please post your problem on Interact and we'll do our best to help.

More on how support works here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43159.0
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2012, 11:29:33 am »

I can't imagine why I would upgrade to 18 when I can't get 17 to function properly  OR  for that matter why I can't get A  --  meaning one reply to my e-mails  ---  multiple e-mails!  JUST ONE REPLY.  >:(
You have NO customer service.
HC2C
Gee, man, be cool! ;-)
I can tell you as a long term user that the customer service here is by far the best I ever experienced with whatever program. Just drop your question in this forum and either the makers or a fellow-user will help you.
Mark Coutinho

Fex

• World Citizen
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2012, 01:58:45 pm »

Upgraded.
So many years. And still unbeaten.

Greetings from Switzerland.

scuba8

« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2012, 02:11:14 pm »

It seems I was unwise to purchase MC17 on the 7/7/2012.  I did not know nor was I aware that there was an MC18 coming out so soon. Will I have to upgrade as normal or should I be given an MC18 licence considering that I bought it  when I did.

ghoti

• Recent member
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2012, 03:34:17 pm »

It seems I was unwise to purchase MC17 on the 7/7/2012.  I did not know nor was I aware that there was an MC18 coming out so soon. Will I have to upgrade as normal or should I be given an MC18 licence considering that I bought it  when I did.
Sorry, but from what I'm reading here, you'll have to purchase an upgrade to get MC18.  The cut-off is July 10 and you bought MC17 on July 7.  As others have stated here, they had to cut the date somewhere.  It's just unfortunate for you that the cutoff is very close to when you purchased.

Referencing my earlier post, perhaps offering a larger discount to current version users for upgrades would help lessen the pain that people like scuba8 are feeling too...  Again, just an idea.

powersteamguy1791

• Recent member
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2012, 05:08:55 pm »

I just upgraded to Media Center 18. I have Media Center 17 and was charged $44.95 for the J River Media Center 18 upgrade. I am contesting this charge with my Master Card Company. I am very disappointed in J River Media Center.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2012, 05:22:15 pm »

It means you didn't have a license installed on the machine where you upgraded.  We could have fixed the overcharge if you had asked.

powersteamguy1791

• Recent member
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2012, 08:44:36 pm »

I do have a license on the computer where I just upgraded to program Media Center 18. It is the only computer where Media Center is installed.

doctorjazz

• Recent member
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2012, 10:27:23 pm »

OK, I managed to upgrade my main PC...Tried to do it on my laptop as well, didn't work, but I don't use that too much for this anyway, so I can leave that for now. Worse, MediaCenter won't play music anymore. I had no trouble before upgrading (well, there was the intermittent unexplained crash, but it generally started right back up...), but now, when I try to play music, I'm getting an error, "something wen't wrong wit playback. Details...playback could not be started on the output "ASIO" using the format '44.1 kHz/64 bit 2ch'. " and tells me to change settings in DSP Studio. I went there, tried changing all the different paramaters I can adjust, which as far as I can see is only the sample rate, and I tried quite a few of them, no help. I think the settings are the same I used with "17", at least I didn't go in to change them. I listen to much FLAC, much of it live/concert recordings, and so far it's non functional. Have to download some other program so I can listen to my music unless someone can help me with the next step or fix (not terribly computer adept).
Thanks-Jack

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2012, 07:02:58 am »

OK, I managed to upgrade my main PC...Tried to do it on my laptop as well, didn't work, but I don't use that too much for this anyway, so I can leave that for now. Worse, MediaCenter won't play music anymore. I had no trouble before upgrading (well, there was the intermittent unexplained crash, but it generally started right back up...), but now, when I try to play music, I'm getting an error, "something wen't wrong wit playback. Details...playback could not be started on the output "ASIO" using the format '44.1 kHz/64 bit 2ch'. " and tells me to change settings in DSP Studio. I went there, tried changing all the different paramaters I can adjust, which as far as I can see is only the sample rate, and I tried quite a few of them, no help. I think the settings are the same I used with "17", at least I didn't go in to change them. I listen to much FLAC, much of it live/concert recordings, and so far it's non functional. Have to download some other program so I can listen to my music unless someone can help me with the next step or fix (not terribly computer adept).
Thanks-Jack
I'll move this to a new thread.  Reboot.  Set up your audio again.  See "Getting Started in my signature".  Your audio may have the wrong device selected.

wingnutdad620

« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2012, 04:55:46 pm »

Im trying to upgrade from MC13 to MC17.  I've gone help, check for updates, MC17 is downloaded and installed.  When I hit purchase, and go through the payment process, i'm asked to confirm the price of $44.95.  No 18.98 or 26.98.  What gives?

I'm on my PC that has a registered version of MC13 running on it.

Product:      Media Center 13.0.172 (registered)
Registered To:   Christopher Weiss

Please help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2012, 05:02:11 pm »

It means that no license is installed.  Restore your license from MC13 in MC17 now.

Long form instructions:

1.  Your Registration Codes (permanent licenses) can be retrieved by using option #2 on the Restore Page.  You will receive e-mail from buy-button@jriver.com .

2.  Download and install JRiver Media Center from jriver.com.  Other sites can not always be trusted.

Your license must match your version.  The latest version is here:
http://www.jriver.com/download.html

Older versions are here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Old_Versions

3.  Use the Registration Code to do a Restore here:
https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi

Use Copy and Paste to avoid mistakes.  Browsers can sometimes cause problems.  Opera renames the .mjr extension of our Install Key to .exe and this will not work.  IE is reliable.

More information can be found here:
http://www.jriver.com/purchase.html

Eduardo de Aquino Carneir

« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2012, 08:21:12 pm »

If version 18 will be available in the next weeks, the button for registration that came in the e-mail that you sent to me just after I have paid for un upgrade to version 18 won't work as you have told that it'll ve valid for only two weeks!! Could you explain such detail a little better??!!
Best regards,
Eduardo

BadMagic

• Recent member
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2012, 08:30:11 pm »

Hi,
In the JRiver wiki, it states "... OR if you purchased MC17 after July 10 2012, the license is an MC18 license ...". I purchased my MC17 license before July 10 (May 26 2012). Am I going to be penalised because I love the program and keenly upgraded as soon as it was available? Am I entitled to an MC18 license? If I'd have known this was the case, I would have hung off buying my MC17 license until after July 10 but that information wasn't available to me then. If I'm not entitled to an MC18 license, that doesn't seem very fair  :'(.

Regards,
Steve Laurie (BM)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2012, 08:47:00 pm »

If version 18 will be available in the next weeks, the button for registration that came in the e-mail that you sent to me just after I have paid for un upgrade to version 18 won't work as you have told that it'll ve valid for only two weeks!! Could you explain such detail a little better?
Just use your Registration Code to do a Restore.  The Purchase Page tells you how to do it.

Řistein Rian

• Recent member
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2012, 02:16:40 am »

Hi

Something wrong has happend!!!

I've been a Media Center user since many many years.
I tried to upgrade, using alternate metode.

No prices was shown, and after entering my old registration code and my credit card data I got the new key.
Today I got the mail telling me I've bougth a new product for $44.98

I think I was promised another price in your promotion... $18.98

btw. customer issues should NOT be on this forum. Not good.

Please do something about this. I want the upgrade price like I was promised.

Regards
Řistein Rian

Edit: I did a copy paste of my registration code, and ALL my codes from all years contains a space in the end of the code. I think this confuses the upgrade routine.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2012, 07:16:16 am »

I've been a Media Center user since many many years.
I tried to upgrade, using alternate metode.

No prices was shown, and after entering my old registration code and my credit card data I got the new key.
Today I got the mail telling me I've bougth a new product for $44.98
Please contact deanna at jriver.  She can fix that.  Sorry for the problem.

Řistein Rian

• Recent member
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2012, 02:05:38 pm »

Please contact deanna at jriver.  She can fix that.  Sorry for the problem.
...and where can I find her? By email or phone?

/Řistein Rian

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2012, 02:27:48 pm »

That's her e-mail address at jriver.

BadMagic

• Recent member
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2012, 01:49:19 am »

Hi,
In the JRiver wiki, it states "... OR if you purchased MC17 after July 10 2012, the license is an MC18 license ...". I purchased my MC17 license before July 10 (May 26 2012). Am I going to be penalised because I love the program and keenly upgraded as soon as it was available? Am I entitled to an MC18 license? If I'd have known this was the case, I would have hung off buying my MC17 license until after July 10 but that information wasn't available to me then. If I'm not entitled to an MC18 license, that doesn't seem very fair  :'(.

Regards,
Steve Laurie (BM)

Why was it decided that the cutoff date would be July 10? Why didn't you make it for anyone who purchased an MC17 license? What is the rationale behind this decision? Are there others in my predicament who got in early and purchased the MC17 license only to be excluded from the MC17/18 license deal? How do they feel about being excluded?

mramsden

• Recent member
Re: Upgrading to MC18 -- Questions and Comments: mjr install error
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2012, 08:32:42 pm »

Had an issue with the MC18 mjr file on one of my computers. It was only 10d old, so should have worked. It worked on the first PC, where I'd downloaded it. When I went to install in on the second, I got the following error:

Dialog box titled: Information. Content: < Error restoring Media Center License: Unknown Error. >

Tried a new copy of the mjr, got the same issue.

Then tried it on my third pc and had no trouble.

Went back to the second, tried running MC, and an upgrade to v17 happened, which I presume was pending.

After that, the mjr for version 18 worked fine.

So ... the unknown error seems to occur if there is a pending update.

Might be something to add the the new license instructions: run JR first, before trying to run the mjr file!  Or have the above dialog indicate that needs to be done.

..Mike

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2012, 03:58:42 pm »

Bought my upgrade to 18!!!!

Now please the ONE feature I would LOVE (and it would be a killer): make MC remember settings for EQ, DSP and color settings for each movie, like smplayer please please  ;D

Shep Tx

« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2012, 06:09:55 pm »

I have not purchased JRiver MC in the past. When I try to purchase it gives me the upgrade price instead of the purchase price.  How do I get to the discounted purchase price for MC17?

jjfabbsy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2012, 09:53:36 pm »

Would love to see pop-up menu support for BLU-RAY - that would make MC absolutely perfect in my opinion!

Thanks, and have upgraded as of today!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2012, 09:40:27 am »

Will MC17 continue to automatically update LAV and madVR after MC18 is released?

CRT

• Recent member
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2012, 01:33:34 pm »

Elsewhere on the site it mentioned that the 2 for one offer/discount is being extended "though August 15." It is now August 15 and I just attempted to take advantage of the offer but I note that only the regular pricing is mentioned under "purchase" with no indication of the discount or upgrade to version 18 being included. Could you please clarify? Thanks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up