INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible MC20 Features  (Read 82020 times)

AnalogKid

Re: Possible MC20 Features
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2014, 09:20:45 pm »

I'm only asking for one item, but it is a big one: I would like to see moving many of the items in the options panel for Theater View moved to skins. Examples include font size, icon size, file info panel, templates etc.

My reasons are simple:
- with the exception of font size, I would bet money that very few regular users use these features.
- I would also bet that all that do use them could modify the same settings in a skin.
- People complain constantly in the forums that skins do very little to change the look. Not surprising when the big ticket items are in the options panel.
- Most people would be happier picking a skin and having it change the look extensively, rather that spending hours tweaking settings.

So moving them is basically a win win situation. Everyone gets to have what they want. Newbs, Power Users, and skinners. And hopefully more new purchasers so JRiver wins as well...

+1 +1 +1  Please!!!

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #151 on: August 14, 2014, 02:05:23 am »

I'm only asking for one item, but it is a big one: I would like to see moving many of the items in the options panel for Theater View moved to skins. Examples include font size, icon size, file info panel, templates etc.

My reasons are simple:
- with the exception of font size, I would bet money that very few regular users use these features.
- I would also bet that all that do use them could modify the same settings in a skin.
- People complain constantly in the forums that skins do very little to change the look. Not surprising when the big ticket items are in the options panel.
- Most people would be happier picking a skin and having it change the look extensively, rather that spending hours tweaking settings.

So moving them is basically a win win situation. Everyone gets to have what they want. Newbs, Power Users, and skinners. And hopefully more new purchasers so JRiver wins as well...

+1 from me as well. This would go a long way of improving the skinning functionality and the diversity of skins.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2014, 07:01:24 am »

I would suggest that skins could optionally include some sort of configuration for this, with a selection for "skin defined" and "user settings" somewhere in the skin selection process.

I don't want skins to change things like the info panel, templates, font size etc.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2014, 09:55:13 am »

That thread is huge.  I'm having trouble finding what you mean.  Could you start a new thread with just your request in it?

I think we are into the MC 21 feature requests!

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2014, 12:25:09 pm »

You can already do that with an expression. Under Options, Library, Manage Library Fields, create a new field. I named it 'Sample Rate (kHz)'. Select Calculated data and paste the following:

Code: [Select]
FormatNumber(math([Sample Rate,0] / 1000), 1)

not specifically related, but maybe a request for MC20 would be a little more info on the expression language (actually the wiki isn't horrible, but some better examples would help...even better would be compiling all the useful expression that can be found with difficulty on the forums into the wiki!!!)

i DON'T want MC to become plug n play, the expression language is the best part of the program to me.  but darn it's hard to figure out, and commonly requested stuff like the above quote could/should be compiled into a wiki and/or if there was another child forum for "yay i found a cool expression" that would be awesome

you know, now that i think of it, there's my "MC20 feature request"...a child forum for "expression language questions" to help sort them from all the "my DSD doesn't work" threads that dominate lately

Zero_G

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2014, 12:31:35 pm »

not specifically related, but maybe a request for MC20 would be a little more info on the expression language (actually the wiki isn't horrible, but some better examples would help...even better would be compiling all the useful expression that can be found with difficulty on the forums into the wiki!!!)

i DON'T want MC to become plug n play, the expression language is the best part of the program to me.  but darn it's hard to figure out, and commonly requested stuff like the above quote could/should be compiled into a wiki and/or if there was another child forum for "yay i found a cool expression" that would be awesome

you know, now that i think of it, there's my "MC20 feature request"...a child forum for "expression language questions" to help sort them from all the "my DSD doesn't work" threads that dominate lately

I like this and second it.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #156 on: August 14, 2014, 04:53:04 pm »

This has been requested before but I haven't seen it list in the new features for MC20.

Would love to see a "Add After Current Album" option.  So that those of us that like to listen to whole albums can add an album as "Next To Play" without interrupting the current album and without having to add it to the end of the playlist.

Carl.
Nice idea! Big +1 from me!

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #157 on: August 14, 2014, 04:54:51 pm »

Next build of MC20:
NEW: Added Play > Add (after current album) to play files after the current album ends.

Wow. That was fast  ;D ;D ;D

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2014, 09:00:19 am »

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2014, 11:19:38 am »

Fine grain seeking for video (eg slow fwd / back).  So we can:
- Get time accurate info for create start/stop points for particles (currently way to course)... but really it is to
- Slow mo
+1

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2014, 11:34:51 am »

DSP settings per track.

+1000

This is done.  You save a DSP preset from DSP Studio, then select a DSP preset for any individual file.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2014, 01:50:12 pm »

Further to my above comments -

Theater View mode for Gizmo. Literally a small screen version of theater view on my tablet or phone, as per attached files. Text could be scaled larger to be more finger friendly on a mobile device, but you get the picture.

If Gizmo is set to play to the device, the "Watch" or "Play" command would go to a screen similar to current (or open the video). If it's set to play to a different zone, the "Watch" or "Play" text toggles to "Watching" or "Playing".

Absolutely YES please!!! This alone would make me upgrade.

- Blu-ray menus. I won't stop asking until it's there! :) I would happily pay another 50% if that's what it took. I don't necessarily want all the Java bells and whistles (like menu overlay during playback). Just the initial 'front screen' where you get scene selection, audio options etc.
- Remote web configuration, which gives you the same as Tools > Options

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2014, 02:06:53 pm »

Please consider focusing more on Theater View in this version. I strongly believe that the masses mainly focus on a couch interface for their media centers, and it would probably speed up new user count substantially if this was improved.

Agree 100%. Everything else in MC is great. I'd say, from my experience, MC has THE worst GUI for Theater View. Even Windows Media Center is better.

I'd personally do away with the top scrollers - it's too messy and awkward to get to. I'd change it so that a button press (say Menu when outside of playback), brings up a context menu or even better something like the Mac OS equivalent of Start Menu, which offers what the top scroller currently does... things like sorting, what view (title, genre, artist etc.). Basically you should be able to get it without having to hit up loadsa times if you're deep down a list.

MikeThin

« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2014, 04:18:51 am »

This is done.  You save a DSP preset from DSP Studio, then select a DSP preset for any individual file.

Not automatically in a playlist - that is what a lot of people are asking for, please...

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2014, 04:21:54 am »

Not automatically in a playlist - that is what a lot of people are asking for, please...

This works also in playlists.
Note that its a new feature in MC20, so its not available just yet.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2014, 06:14:30 pm »

Next build of MC20:
NEW: Added Play > Add (after current artist) to the play commands.

Thanks !!!!  I bought the MC20 upgrade a while ago,... this might be the best upgrade version ever.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #166 on: August 24, 2014, 02:18:11 pm »

JRiver: one request; can you have the full MC20 version number displayed at the top of the Standard View screen. Currently is just says "JRiver Media Center 20". Would it be very difficult for it say "JRiver Media Center 20.0.10" so I can (more easily) keep up with the version upgrades across all my machines?

I'd +1 that. In fact I will.

+1

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #167 on: August 24, 2014, 03:05:40 pm »

I'd +1 that. In fact I will.

+1

There is a variable in the custom display settings that will do this.....
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #168 on: August 24, 2014, 10:03:00 pm »

There is a variable in the custom display settings that will do this.....

Thanks for the reply. I am embarrassed to say that I can't find this option. Do you mean in customise toolbars? Sorry for the density.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #169 on: August 24, 2014, 11:09:02 pm »

Customize display setting, i use it on for the "Stopped Mode",,
 Customize display, insert variable, MC.Version.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #170 on: August 25, 2014, 02:19:29 am »

Customize display setting, i use it on for the "Stopped Mode",,
 Customize display, insert variable, MC.Version.

Ken

:o
Thanks! A whole new thing to play with!

michaelmcclatchy

• Recent member
« Reply #171 on: August 25, 2014, 02:09:12 pm »

User configurable (permanent) jriver.png picture which does NOT get overwritten on every jriver upgrade install.
... I like the option to use MY favorite picture.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2014, 02:29:06 pm »

User configurable (permanent) JRiver.png picture which does NOT get overwritten on every JRiver upgrade install.
... I like the option to use MY favorite picture.

Put the artwork in Data\Custom Art instead of Data\Default Art.  After that, your custom version will stay alive and always be used.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
« Reply #173 on: August 25, 2014, 02:50:28 pm »

As per a past post http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78510.msg533889#msg533889...

In the OVERVIEW, one can see all media servers that are connected to JRiver.

However, it does not seem to show info regarding connected devices using webgizmo or other ipad/android apps.  Is there a way to see this info on the host computer?  This is an important prices of missing info.  I am not sure what would be required to include this info.

I understand that one can look at the activity under Services & Plug-ins/Media Network (then select [ServerName] (Library Server) but this does not provide any other details about the device.

Please add this in so that we can have full information regarding how MC is serving information. Playing Now should show all files being served by MC and not just those in specific zones.

Thanks

dave

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2014, 02:00:37 pm »

As per a past post http://yabb.JRiver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78510.msg533889#msg533889...

In the OVERVIEW, one can see all media servers that are connected to JRiver.

However, it does not seem to show info regarding connected devices using webgizmo or other ipad/android apps.  Is there a way to see this info on the host computer?  This is an important prices of missing info.  I am not sure what would be required to include this info.

I understand that one can look at the activity under Services & Plug-ins/Media Network (then select [ServerName] (Library Server) but this does not provide any other details about the device.

Please add this in so that we can have full information regarding how MC is serving information. Playing Now should show all files being served by MC and not just those in specific zones.

Thanks

dave

I'd welcome this too, since it can be important to know who is playing what and where. However, there may be technical reasons why it hasn't been implemented already.

shAf

« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2014, 06:13:29 am »

I use volume leveling with MC19, but still hear a considerable difference in volume, audio v movies or video ... ~15db according to my AVR's volume control. Is there a way to assign an offset depending on the type of media?
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

sumerian

• Recent member
« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2014, 09:30:16 pm »

Can we please add the option  to "convert to flac" under burn disc (Data CD or DVD) section.
right now we only have MP3 option.

This really help to  write DVD Audio (Flacs) .

I already paid for the upgrade hopefully they will add some thing functional instead of some fancy mumbo zumbo.

sumerian

• Recent member
« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2014, 10:15:38 pm »

Can we have option to RIP bluerays to MKV file

« Reply #178 on: August 28, 2014, 07:46:37 am »

Can we have option to RIP bluerays to MKV file
That's a lot more complex than the current option of ripping to a folder.
You're better off just using MakeMKV, a tool specifically designed for this task.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #179 on: August 28, 2014, 05:17:56 pm »

Better spectrum analyzer.  Better instrumentation for sound engineers?

+10!

sumerian

• Recent member
« Reply #180 on: August 29, 2014, 06:15:00 am »

Option to update the source location for multiple tracks .

MikeThin

« Reply #181 on: August 29, 2014, 06:53:32 am »

Better spectrum analyser
+10!
Yes please. Also VU meters.  Pretty ones.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #182 on: August 29, 2014, 09:52:18 am »

Not really a feature and more of an initial upgrade install item.
I have a pretty vast set of remote commands that use the .../system32/MCxx.exe functions.
When upgrading I have to burrow through my commands to change them to the new MC.
I would love to have this be automated or have an additional column for "Command Actions"
on the remote commands screen so I can see which ones need a change easier.
Glynor wrote a script that might help you out.

This build includes a new command line utility, MCcl (MC command launcher).

This simple applet is just a wrapper for the Command Line launcher utilities included with each version of Media Center.  These launcher utilities are named mc19.exe for MC19, and mc20.exe for MC20 (and so on and so forth).  This makes it necessary to manually update any scripts you write with the new version each time you upgrade MC to a new major version.

MCcl.exe makes that laborious task no longer necessary!

It was inspired by this thread (and by the fact that MC20 just came out and I have to, again, update all of my scripts to use the new launcher).  Let me know if it comes in handy!

sumerian

• Recent member
« Reply #183 on: August 30, 2014, 10:07:38 am »

Honestly i dont understand why most of the requests are UI related...

why would one care so much about the looks ? why would one keep looking at the JRiver when the media is being played..

I do understand look and feel makes a lot of difference but come on, so much emphasis? dont we want  better functional app than a better looking app?

Sorry i am not trying to be spoil sport or smart ass but for the money i would rather get additonal functionality ...

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #184 on: August 30, 2014, 04:10:11 pm »

Any plans to support chromecast for jremote?     Done

ronenash

• Recent member
« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2014, 01:32:33 am »

Better handling of Internet radio stations.  You can do it now by saving them to a playlist, but it's awkward and hard to explain.

Hopefully this includes a TuneIn like interface where you have all radio stations to choose from and the ability to add stations to favorites/radio buttons. This feature alone will justify an upgrade for me.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2014, 09:45:44 am »

I would like to see some work done on the Standard View interface again. Specifically, with the Grouped Details view in the bottom pane of Standard view, I would like the Grouping thumbnail to have links on it like the Group thumbnails do in the top pane. "Play" and "Info" would be good, with info performing a search of whatever that Grouping is.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2014, 12:36:27 pm »

Hopefully this includes a TuneIn like interface where you have all radio stations to choose from and the ability to add stations to favorites/radio buttons. This feature alone will justify an upgrade for me.
I have Internet radio stations in my MediaCenter radio buttons - you just have to first connect to the station by other means (such as getting the URL from elsewhere and pasting it into File->Open URL).

BigJ

• Recent member
« Reply #188 on: September 06, 2014, 12:53:10 am »

Please consider focusing more on Theater View in this version. I strongly believe that the masses mainly focus on a couch interface for their media centers
I don't know about "the masses", but my primary reason for buying MC is specifically for the "couch interface"/JukeBox access to my Music, Movies, and Shows as I've previously outgrown WinAmp, VLC, and iTunes in this regard. 

Everything else, everything, takes a distant back seat to this/these Use Case(s).

FWIW.

Also, thanks for adding these:

* "Add After Current Album"
* "Add Album to Playing Now"

And, I'd like to see this one as well:

I use volume leveling with MC19, but still hear a considerable difference in volume, audio v movies or video ... ~15db according to my AVR's volume control. Is there a way to assign an offset depending on the type of media?

Thanks.

MC is definitely worth every penny of the price, and is *almost* everything I want and need in its current form, which is no small thing. I'm too new to it to have more to offer just yet, but as everyday progresses...

Dobrota

« Reply #189 on: September 07, 2014, 04:57:22 am »

Please update the interface of Convolution. Something like Voxengo Pristine Space has(or any other).
Txt format is outdated.

« Reply #190 on: September 07, 2014, 08:03:57 am »

Please update the interface of Convolution. Something like Voxengo Pristine Space has(or any other).
Txt format is outdated.
I believe it's expected that you are using external software (such as Acourate) to create the filters for convolution.

I don't really see a problem with the current implementation for that purpose.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #191 on: September 07, 2014, 10:09:11 am »

I believe it's expected that you are using external software (such as Acourate) to create the filters for convolution.

I don't really see a problem with the current implementation for that purpose.

I think what he's asking for is better support for using multiple convolution filters; right now if you want to, say, apply convolution to six channels you either need to find convolution software that will create a custom 6-channel filter or use a .txt based configuration file to handle the coordination of six different mono wav files.  The free convolution filter generation software I know of only generates single channel or stereo files (and the stereo files typically won't allow different filters by channel, so they're of limited usefulness).  So to do multi-channel or bi-amping (or just use different filters for each speaker) with free software you need to learn how to write config files.  The format for the config files is a little arcane and takes some study to get right; I think Dobrota just wants a GUI for coordinating multiple filters (which is what I think voxengo does).

« Reply #192 on: September 07, 2014, 10:40:46 am »

Ah I see - I thought voxengo was software for creating convolution filters, not applying them on playback.
It sounds like this is an area where the interface could be improved then.

Dobrota

« Reply #193 on: September 09, 2014, 03:37:09 am »

I think Dobrota just wants a GUI for coordinating multiple filters (which is what I think voxengo does).
Mwillems, you are quite right! Thank you. :)
One more reason for GUI - with .txt format it is very easy to do mistake on complicated file configuration, and you will not know that is something wrong with it.

CadErik

• World Citizen
« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2014, 08:43:08 pm »

WDM driver

Why go through the trouble of a WDM driver? you already provide a ASIO driver that all professional audio applications do support...
Also what about a service version of MC?

I agree with other comments... yes VU meters and spectrum analyzer and more UI improvements. MC look and feel hasn't changed or improved for several major versions... I don't want to sound harsh (I bought MC 20) but the current list of new features is not very big for a major version change.

Erik.

« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2014, 09:21:06 pm »

Why go through the trouble of a WDM driver? you already provide a ASIO driver that all professional audio applications do support...
Because it lets every program on the computer play audio through Media Center and benefit from its DSP capabilities.

maid

« Reply #196 on: September 12, 2014, 12:09:56 am »

Will 3D be looked at in this version???
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

sumerian

• Recent member
« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2014, 07:16:08 pm »

Why do we have to install the 20 again altogether why cant we just upgrade the version 19??

I just need need these few options, hope they will consider these. I dont think these need any complex extra code. Same code is already available on different window.

Can we please add the option  to "convert to flac" under burn disc (Data CD or DVD) section.
right now we only have MP3 option.

Option to update the source location for multiple tracks.

Can we have option to skip conversion for certain file extesnion

right now we have option to skip if the source and destination extensions are same

Please add some functional options not just language packs and UI mumbo jumbo...

CadErik

• World Citizen
« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2014, 08:55:16 pm »

Because it lets every program on the computer play audio through Media Center and benefit from its DSP capabilities.
Is this really what the majority of MC users are after or is this a solution for few obscure scenarios?
This sounds like a decent amount of development. Aren't there other more important areas to consider?

Erik.

CadErik

• World Citizen
« Reply #199 on: September 21, 2014, 09:04:35 pm »

Something that I would like to see, that a few other users have also expressed interest in (I think both natehansen66 and TheLion expressed interest, among others): I'd like PEQ to offer a few additional common crossover filter slopes as options for low-pass and high-pass, such as Linkwitz-Riley and Bessel, and maybe some of the exotics as well (Neville-Thiele or Horbach-Keele).  But I think having built in Linkwitz-Riley and Bessel filters would be my priority.

We can create Linkwitz-Rileys right now by staggering two of the existing butterworth filters, but there's no way to create any of the other filters.

And, even though we have a workaround for Linkwitz-Riley filters, it would be nice to have them directly integrated, primarily because they are more likely to produce a good experience for the end user than a butterworth: they work better "out of the box" than butterworth filters because they tend to sum flat at the crossover point, unlike butterworths which tend to introduce a 3dB lump at the crossover point.  That's one reason why "crossover in a box" type products for pro audio tend to use 4th order Linkwitz Rileys if they only offer one filter choice.

There are tons of VST plugins dedicated for all kinds of EQs and filtering, is it really worth that this effort is duplicated into MC?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up